PDA

View Full Version : Drama in Bungleland; Apparantly Carson and Chad aren't BFF's

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4192023

Palmer takes dig at Ochocinco
ESPN.com news services
Updated: May 21, 2009, 9:45 AM ET

It looks like HBO's "Hard Knocks" might have a ready-made story angle awaiting its first visit to Cincinnati Bengals training camp this summer.

Yes, it involves Chad Ochocinco.

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer took a swipe at Ochocinco's absence from the team's voluntary offseason workouts on Tuesday in an interview on Sirius NFL Radio. He referred to the enigmatic wide receiver in the past tense and heaped praise on other wideouts who have been in camp -- and could take Ochocinco's place in the lineup.

"It's definitely a new look for the Bengals receiver corps but I couldn't be happier with the guys we've got," Palmer said Tuesday during the Sirius NFL Radio "Movin' The Chains" show, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "T.J. [Houshmandzadeh's]" gone and Chad's pretty much gone, he hasn't been here, so we've got guys that want those two spots, guys that compete day in and day out, when we're out there on the field, running, conditioning and in the weight room lifting. They're guys that want to take over for those two spots. They look every bit capable of doing what we're going to ask them to do."

When asked what he expects out of Ochocinco this season, Palmer told NFL Sirius Radio: "Well, I really don't know. I haven't talked to him. I haven't talked to anybody that has talked to him. He wasn't here last year so I'm expecting him not to be here at all this year. Last year I think he was here for the mandatory camp but didn't participate in it. So I'm planning on him not being here just because he hasn't been here yet."

Palmer also complimented receivers Laveranues Coles, Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson. And he made a point of noting that Chris Henry, who has been troubled by legal issues the past few years, has made great strides and could step in for Ochocinco.

"We've got Chris Henry ... He's a guy that's had a great offseason, really turned his life around. I'm excited to watch him play," Palmer told NFL Sirius Radio. "He's a guy that seems like he catches a touchdown every other ball that's thrown to him, he's that explosive. He's kind of taken over for Chad's position and he's a guy that, like I said earlier, does not want to give up that spot right now."

Ochocinco is reportedly training in Los Angeles, and is expected to attend the Bengals' mandatory minicamp June 18-20, the Enquirer reported.

stlrz d
05-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Wonder if they are on one another's myspace, facebook and twitter pages?

Starlifter
05-21-2009, 04:07 PM
minor props to cornholio for speaking the truth. most today rarely throw a teammate under the bus. maybe he's finally learning the role of a leader.

Steelgal
05-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Turmoil in Bungleland. What a shocker.
:bungalssuck

mshifko
05-21-2009, 05:11 PM
i think carson is a good leader...i mean he's surrounded by a lot of toolbags in cincy, owner included...he'd be better off getting out of cincy and going to a place like miami or something

Wolfhound45
05-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Not a fan of CP in any way. However, after awhile, you learn that you only have so many games that you will play in this league. You realize that you have to use the talent you have while you still have it. Seems like he is tired of waiting for others around him to step up. Good for him.

feltdizz
05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
minor props to cornholio for speaking the truth. most today rarely throw a teammate under the bus. maybe he's finally learning the role of a leader.

I hate him as well... but this is a big for Palmer and he may finally get back to the 2005 level. As a QB you have to lead your WR's and let them know who the ball runs through..

I remember when Ben said he tried to call Holmes and he didn't answer and Holmes denying it every happened. Whether it happened or not I think it gave Holmes notice to how the media game would be played. Either stay close or end up stranded on an island.

Jom112
05-23-2009, 09:52 AM
It's a very good move for Carson. Last offseason he didn't say anything when Chad went AWOL and TJ was missing voluntary practices. It hurt us early in the season then Carson got hurt and the rest of the season went to sheeeet.

He's been very vocal this offseason and he's seeing the younger receivers (Henry, Simpson and Caldwell) really are working their arses off and see's Chad doing his own thing. Plus we updated the playbook a good amount this offseason (finally). Chad ain't the smartest and always had TJ helping him out to learn the routes, with TJ gone he better get his butt in camp to learn the new plays or he'll be watching them from the sidelines while Henry is starting.

So far this offseason has gone better than any I can remember in the Marin Lewis era, but there are two things I see coming that could derail it:

1. Chad causing drama when he arrives - If he really wants out of Cincy attacking the starting QB in the media is the way out.

2. Andre Smith Holdout - I'm glad we lined him up on the right side and we have Anthony Collins as a more than able replacement, but I can definitely see Smith holding out.

jj28west
05-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Jom,

Dont you think Chad or Ocho whatever he calls himself is an act. I starting to think that these guys, T.O., Brian Bozworth, Jim Mcmahon sp, Deon Sanders, Dennis Rodman, creates this character because it makes them money.

We say there this and that and try to ignore it but it forces us to take a stance about it. I remember when they interviewed Howard Stern years ago when he came out with his movie and he finally admitted that this was an act and its not like he is like this in Private. That was like finding out about the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus.

Just a thought....