PDA

View Full Version : Just spent 2 hours with Kevin Colbert

steelerkeylargo
05-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Wow! So the Steelers, Jags, Giants, Lions, Vikings and Browns are all here in Key Largo for the week on a scouting conference. Through a friend I found out they were hanginging at the local Marriot. My buddy told me Mean Joe was there last night and there was a good chance he would be there tonight. I showed up about 8:00 and immediately saw lots of dudes in NFL apparel....mostly Vikes and Jags. Before long I was introduced (because I had my steelers cap on) to a couple of guys that were "Steelers Guys". The first guy was wearing a Chiefs t-shirt (Slapshot) and looked familiar said his name was Kevin.....2 minutes later I realized it was Kevin Colbert. We talked for about 45 minutes.....he was very cool. Very down to earth. We talked about the last draft. I asked him about losing out on E. Wood and he said they had Hood ahead of him....said they wanted Loadholt in the second with Unger number 2....when both were gone they traded out.....said they love K.Lewis and Urbik. Mean Joe as it turns out left today for washington/obama......Colbert gave me his business card and told me he wanted to get me on the field for the Dolphins game Jan. 3rd....he then introduced me to Dan Rooney ( the scout who discovered Willie).....we all talked and watched the rest of the Cavs/Magic game......I didnt know it but Colbert is a Pitttsburgh native....took some pics with Kevin and Dan and the SB XL ring.....so cool. P.S. Brian Simmons the former bengal LB is now a scout for the Jags....met him and was a pretty cool dude........Colbert says we are in for a great year!!!!!!! :tt2

SteelCrazy
05-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Cool story dude. You must have made a good impression to get an invite to a game.

Oracle
05-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Did he mention anything about his plans at left tackle?

Mister Pittsburgh
05-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah....did he have anything to say about the offensive line, their plans for Ziggy Hood and the other DL we took, and what the plan will be at WR?

steelerkeylargo
05-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Hey guys should have given you a little more. It was very late and I was trying to remember everything. I asked him if Omar was going to get a deal worked out with Max....he seemed very confident they would. Didn't say much about Hood other than he was a guy they really wanted and had him ranked above all the G/C's and most of the tackles. He said Mike Wallace would move into Sweed's #4 reciever and Sweed would move to Nate's spot. I asked him about the return game and he said the Stefan Logan kid isreally an interesting and exciting prospect. Dealing for Roscoe Parrish was never talked about. I have a pic with Colbert and Rooney (and his huge SB ring)...that my wife took on her iphone...she is going to try and lighten it up (very dark) and I will put it up if it comes out.

Jooser
05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
That's a freakin' awesome story dude. Congrats on that!

calmkiller
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
That is an awesome story man, Grats!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-21-2009, 10:21 AM
I stopped reading after there was an extra i-n-g at the end of hanging. I knew that there could be nothing useful after that. :wink:

Just kidding SKL....awesome story. What a rush it must have been to meet these guys and talk Steeler football, I'm pretty sure you lived out a dream of almost every member on this board.

Thanks for the info.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I asked him about the return game and he said the Stefan Logan kid is really an interesting and exciting prospect.

Hope you set him straight on this...Hope you reminded him that Logan would be too one-dimensional to waste a roster spot on and that if they keep him it would mean that he "missed" on Wallace and Burnett... :lol: :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Awesome story!

Billy Mays lives in Florida...if you ever get to meet him he's a Pittsburgh (McKees Rocks) native too. :D

http://www.primemeridia.com/temp/Billy_Mays_Shut_Your_Whore_Mouth.jpg

steelerkeylargo
05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I asked him about the return game and he said the Stefan Logan kid is really an interesting and exciting prospect.

Hope you set him straight on this...Hope you reminded him that Logan would be too one-dimensional to waste a roster spot on and that if they keep him it would mean that he "missed" on Wallace and Burnett... :lol: :lol: :lol:

He said they were very surprised to see Burnett there in the 5th. He said his production was as good as any CB in the draft!

Oviedo
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM

He said they were very surprised to see Burnett there in the 5th. He said his production was as good as any CB in the draft!

Yep. Burnett is going to shock the folks who never saw him play. Last CB out of UCF to make it was a guy named Asante Samuel. Burnett is IMO better coming out of college and I watched both for their entire careers. Time will tell.

steelerkeylargo
05-21-2009, 11:56 AM
[attachment=0:h9x7r49z]n590430411_3155.jpg[/attachment:h9x7r49z]

Its a bad pic but you get the idea!

phillyesq
05-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Very good story -- thanks for sharing!

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
[attachment=0:2243wogv]n590430411_3155.jpg[/attachment:2243wogv]

Its a bad pic but you get the idea!

You should have asked Colbert if he was putting on the foil. :D

ikestops85
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM

Yep. Burnett is going to shock the folks who never saw him play. Last CB out of UCF to make it was a guy named Asante Samuel. Burnett is IMO better coming out of college and I watched both for their entire careers. Time will tell.

:Agree

Burnett is that guy who doesn't have the measurables but has that knack of making plays or as the janitor calls it ... 'splash plays'. Aside from Troy last year that is something we are sorely missing in the defensive backfield. I think Gay might also have some of that quality but only time will tell.

By the way ... great story and I'm sure a fantastic experience meeting up with Colbert and Rooney.

Jigawatts
05-21-2009, 12:44 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice story SKL. Did you tell Colbert that he sucks and there are about 100 people that
you know on message boards that could do a much better job than him?

And when is Timmons going to be in "football shape?"

steelerkeylargo
05-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Nice story SKL. Did you tell Colbert that he sucks and there are about 100 people that

After he told me to come to the Dolphins game on him....i didn't think it would be best! :Beer

MeetJoeGreene
05-21-2009, 10:35 PM
that is friggin AWESOME!!!

thanks for sharing.

Djfan
05-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Very cool. I'll be at your house the day before the Miami game and stay for three days, right?

Mister Pittsburgh
05-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Why did Colbert have on Chiefs gear? Isn't that like a Subway sandwich artist wearing a Wendy's shirt?

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Why did Colbert have on Chiefs gear? Isn't that like a Subway sandwich artist wearing a Wendy's shirt?

Not the Kansas City Chiefs! The Johnstown Chiefs from the movie "Slap Shot" (see the picture on the first page of the thread).

"You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free."

Slapstick
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Not the Kansas City Chiefs! The Johnstown Chiefs from the movie "Slap Shot" (see the picture on the first page of the thread).

"You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free."

In Slap Shot, they were actually the Charlestown Chiefs. The Johnstown Chiefs are an actual minor league hockey team...

Since part of the movie was filmed in Johnstown, they named the local hockey team the Chiefs in honor of the movie...

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2009, 10:03 AM

In Slap Shot, they were actually the Charlestown Chiefs. The Johnstown Chiefs are an actual minor league hockey team...

Since part of the movie was filmed in Johnstown, they named the local hockey team the Chiefs in honor of the movie...

I knew that! Dammit! Now I need to go to the box for 2 minutes and feel shame. :oops:

jj28west
05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Good Stuff,

Thanks for sharing!

stlrz d
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Denis Lemieux: So den I ask him, "Who own da Chiefs?"

Reggie Dunlop: Well, what did he say?

Denis Lemieux: OooooowwwwwwnnnnnSSSSSSSSS! OooooowwwwwwnnnnnSSSSSSSSS!

AngryAsian
05-22-2009, 11:15 AM

My early submission for POST OF THE YEAR. Fuggin hilarious, Jiga. LMAO!
For your wit you get four laughing men and a slanty taking a dump.
---------------------- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ---------------- :x

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2009, 12:04 PM

My early submission for POST OF THE YEAR. Fuggin hilarious, Jiga. LMAO!
For your wit you get four laughing men and a slanty taking a dump.
---------------------- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ---------------- :x

Make that two slanties taking a dump. You can't forget about your avatar! :lol: :x

BURGH86STEEL
05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Nice story

steelcityrules!!
05-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Picking Colberts brain for 2 hours would be one heck of an evening.
well done sir.

this team is stacked, all the doubters will see this year. barring catastrophe, we will be dominant.

:Beer

SidSmythe
05-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Wow, i had no idea that Kevin Colbert was working for the Kansas City Chiefs now!!! :tt2

steelerkeylargo
05-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Wow, i had no idea that Kevin Colbert was working for the Kansas City Chiefs now!!! :tt2

read the thread sid