PDA

View Full Version : Who's clutch and who isn't?

papillon
05-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Here's an article on the top 5 clutch quarterbacks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-Five-Most-clutch-quarterbacks-in-t;_ylt=AgFKx2S4BF67jRpghM_a14RDubYF?urn=nfl,164119 )

I'm not sure that Ben shouldn't top this list at this point, but, he is second. At least it's something to talk about! :tt2

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Man oh man, the pool is mighty shallow when Peyton "Win a dozen games in each of the past 6 seasons but only win one Super Bowl...against Rex Freaking Grossman" Manning and Donovan "Vomit on the field during the potential game winning drive in his only Super Bowl" McNabb make the top five. Wow.

Jigawatts
05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Brady Quinn and friends are clutch.

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/05/yipesbrady.jpg

papillon
05-20-2009, 03:22 PM

They aren't clutch; they are just "In-touch" with themselves. :P

Pappy

RKSteel
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM

This picture is wrong on so many levels. :shock:

Jigawatts
05-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Pappy

However you want to spin it Pap. :lol:

papillon
05-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Pappy

However you want to spin it Pap. :lol:

Based on that picture we don't have to spin anything. That's incontrovertible proof. Quinn and his friends are :loser and will continue to provide endless hours of entertainment for Steeler fans. :Cheers

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Pappy

I've been "In-touch" with myself.

I've been "In-touch" with my wife.

I have not been "In-touch" with a couple of other dudes, though.

These guys are "In-touch" with each other.

There is a HUGE difference there. :shock:

Captain Lemming
05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Peyton 3rd?
He is a chocker!
Every season, even the SB year the greatest regular season QB ever is a nervous wreck.
Clutch players "raise" their game when the game is important.
Bird, Jordan, Montana, Bradshaw, Tiger, Brady, Magic, now Ben.
Peyton's game tanks. Every year.

In college, he loses every big game, and Tee Stinkin Martin wins the national championship with that talented Vol team.

Not only is Ben far more clutch, in a single playoff run, Eli had more games where he played well than Peyton has had in his eleven year or so career. Eli is nowhere near as good as Peyton, but was far more relaxed and effective in his run than Peyton ever is.

I don't care that he has a ring, despite a typical poor post season play, he is a chocker.

If he were clutch, he would have had a fist full of rings.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Man oh man, the pool is mighty shallow when Peyton "Win a dozen games in each of the past 6 seasons but only win one Super Bowl...against Rex Freaking Grossman" Manning and Donovan "Vomit on the field during the potential game winning drive in his only Super Bowl" McNabb make the top five. Wow.

I was thinking the same recently when the list of top QBs came out. There probably aren't more than ten QBs in the league who you would be comfortable as your starter. Even many of those are guys who have only strung together a few decent years.

Take a guy like Eli who everyone considers to be a top QB. In his SB run in '07 he threw 20 ints in the RS. Last year was his first year with a QB rating over 80. To throw out all of the excuses that we always hear about Ben - Eli has had a great D for years, much better O line, better running game, solid receivers. Yet Eli is amongst the top in the game. I don't dispute that he belongs there, just find it sad that a QB with his resume is maybe a top 5 in the league according to some.