View Full Version : Parker hard at work

fordfixer
05-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Parker hard at work
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

http://news.steelers.com/article/105471/

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
The weight room at the Steelers practice facility was unusually quiet, with just a few coaches and a trainer getting a late afternoon workout in.

But after a second glance, a familiar face was working up a sweat, pounding away on the weights after everyone else had called it a day.

Running back Willie Parker, who had surprised some when he missed the first two days of OTA’s, has been a regular at the practice facility since the team’s mini-camp despite the fact that players didn’t need to be there until OTA’s resumed today.

“I just wanted to start getting back in shape and get going to get ready for next season,” said Parker of why he put in the extra time.

Parker spent part of his days on the field, working on the football aspect of things and catching passes from running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

“I really focused on catching a lot of balls and being comfortable in the passing game so I can help Ben (Roethlisberger) out on the check downs, checking it to the backs,” said Parker. “Right now I am focusing on the football stuff, catching balls, running, getting in shape.”

And if getting in shape means staying around long after the locker room has cleared out, Parker has no problem with that.

“I put in a full day’s work. I look at it as a 9-5 job,” said Parker. “I come over and spend a whole day here. I try to get benefits in the weight room or playing football. I am running, conditioning and things like that.”

The main motivation for Parker’s extra time is to make sure he enters the 2009 season in great shape and healthy. The last thing he wants is a repeat of the 2008 season when he missed five games because of injuries.

“I have to get that back,” said Parker. “I haven’t been healthy in my point of view in two years. I need to get healthy and get through the season healthy. Injuries nagged me and kept from accomplishing my goals. If I can stay healthy I can accomplish anything.

“Injuries are real frustrating. I am pretty sure anyone would say the same thing. Injuries are real frustrating.”

Djfan
05-20-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't know what's going to happen with him, but you gotta love the guy.

Herewegosteelers!
05-20-2009, 07:05 AM
I think he'll have a very good year and then get a big contract as an FA in 2010.........somewhere else.

papillon
05-20-2009, 07:33 AM

:Bow :Bow

Always have and always will liked Willie Parker. Parker, to me, is a Steeler type player and I hope he blows the top off this year and forces the Steelers to make some tough decisions.

Pappy

Oviedo
05-20-2009, 07:43 AM

:Agree He is the type of guy you would love see retire as a Steeler. Not sure it happens though unless he learned something elese from Bettis about the importnace of being part of something special versus just counting the zeros in your bank account.

papillon
05-20-2009, 08:44 AM

:Agree He is the type of guy you would love see retire as a Steeler. Not sure it happens though unless he learned something elese from Bettis about the importnace of being part of something special versus just counting the zeros in your bank account.

Bettis had no choice or he wouldn't have taken the final contract he took with the Steelers. There was no market for him for one year or playing part time. Parker is in a different situatiuon, in that, he's still capable of being productive. Hines Ward didn't do the Steelers any favors with his extension; he's still getting his money and possibly more.

It's the Steelers that will have to determine if they want Parker or not, not vice versa, IMO.

Pappy

LasVegasGuy
05-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Maybe now he can average 2+ yard per carry. :roll:

Bye-Bye FWP it's been nice knowing you but your time in Pittsburgh has come to an end. :tt2

True Fan
05-20-2009, 03:05 PM

Bettis had no choice or he wouldn't have taken the final contract he took with the Steelers. There was no market for him for one year or playing part time. Parker is in a different situatiuon, in that, he's still capable of being productive. Hines Ward didn't do the Steelers any favors with his extension; he's still getting his money and possibly more.

It's the Steelers that will have to determine if they want Parker or not, not vice versa, IMO.

Pappy

:Agree

i would really like to see a list of all these 'steeler' type players i keep hearing about :roll:

Mel Blount's G
05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I predict FWP will have a GREAT year. But if Mendy can show he can be a starting NFL rb, I doubt we'll offer fwp a heavy contract (we let Larry Foote go because we had a 1st rounder we needed to get on the field; surely Parker will go to get another 1st rounder on the field). Especially if mendy AND Summers look to be nfl starters.

But, I can't italicize or highlight that "IF" enough on Mendy as no one, including the steeler staff imo, knows if Mendy is going to work out or not. But don't count out summers folks as the coaching staff compared him to Duce Staley who was, prior to his mysterious injury and subsequent sweat-suited, sideline roaming, was an extremely productive running back in the league. It seems to be logic would dictate that FWP would be the odd man out if our two newbies show they can be produtive starters (or even one of them) since willie may likely command/ask for top 10 rb money (which he surely would if he had another 1000 this season).

But FWP is hard to read for me now. Prior to last season I had uber-respect for fwp and considered him, like some of you, to be the consummate steeler. I believed he was the type that would never complain to the media in a selfish way and would keep his complaints within the confines of the organization. However, my perspective of willie changed last year when he complained that we didn't run enough and needed to get back to smashmouth which, as most of you know, ellicited Tomlin's now semi-famous quote (at least for some of steeler fans) re: "When I walk down the hall in the morning I see Lombardi's, not rushing title trophies." I had to eat crow after that as I argued previously that willie was NOT the type that would ever take a complaint like that to the media. But other than that, he's never been anything but a class act and indeed, a "steeler guy"

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Love him or hate him on the field, he has always been a solid guy off of the field.