PDA

View Full Version : Cap Issues Looming Large For Steelers

NKySteeler
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Salary Cap Issues Looming Large For Pittsburgh Steelers
by Brian Carson (Contributor)
May 18, 2009

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4047/111173feature.jpg

Self-help guru Tony Robbins once said, "It's our decisions that determine our destiny."

The Pittsburgh Steelers, in particular General Manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin, will soon be facing some hard choices, and their decisions will go a long way in determining the future of the franchise.

The Steelers are barely under the cap, recently raised to $128 million by the NFL, at a paltry $5.6 million.

That would leave the organization at a standstill, unable to offer extensions to most, if any, of their key unrestricted free agents.

Pittsburgh has nine starters playing in the final year of their contracts. The list includes: S Ryan Clark, RT Willie Colon, NT Casey Hampton, C Justin Hartwig, DE Brett Keisel, TE Heath Miller, RB Willie Parker, LT Max Starks, and K Jeff Reed.

All of them could become free agents at the end of the season. It's the nature of the business. Hard choices need to be made.

If a new collective bargaining agreement can be hammered out before free agency, the Steelers would benefit. Colon and Miller would become restricted free agents instead of unrestricted, and teams would be able to place the franchise tag on two players instead of one.

Even so, some players will have to be purged from the roster because of how tight Pittsburgh is against the cap.

Despite the increase in cap space by some $12 million to the current $128 million figure, the Steelers are still hurting because of the increase in Ben Roethlisberger's cap hit.

Big Ben, who had an $8 million hit last year, will count a whopping $13.2 million against the cap this season. Throw in rising veteran salaries, rookies who need to be signed, and you can see the dilemma facing Colbert and Co.

If the collective bargaining agreement is not done on time, the pruning of the roster begins in earnest.

Hampton, Starks and Miller are necessities. The trio is too important for the Steelers' brass to let get away. Reed and Clark should be kept as well, because there's no one good enough behind them.

Miller, Reed and Clark could be signed to extensions during the season because their money demands won't be as gaudy as some. The rest will have to wait until the season ends.

Hampton and Starks will ask for big money, including nice, fat signing bonuses. In order to meet the duo's demands, Keisel, Colon, Hartwig, and Parker are probably playing their last games in a Pittsburgh uniform.

Keisel, who counts for $5 million against the cap this season, is a definite goner. Rookie Ziggy Hood, Pittsburgh's first-round selection, is being groomed as his replacement. Plus, Hood will be much cheaper as he plays out his rookie contract.

Parker is a decent back, but injury problems have taken a toll. With Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, and Frank Summers in the backfield, the Steelers can afford to let Parker go.

The franchise has done a good job remaining competitive, while managing the cap, without hurting their future. The Steelers have a philosophy of building from within with the draft being the key to the organization's success. It's worked for them in the past and needs to once again.

The Steelers face some tough decisions in the coming months, and no organization is better equipped to handle such circumstances. They have solid leadership on the field and in the front office. All will work together to make those hard choices.

And it's those decisions that will determine the future of the most successful franchise in the Super Bowl era.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1780 ... r-steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178030-salary-cap-issues-looming-large-for-steelers)

birtikidis
05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
these articles frustrate me... things move so slow in the offseason, and I am really anxious to see how these players futures play out...

NKySteeler
05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Big suprise that you don't "care" for it.... :roll:

.... Tell 'ya what, junior.... Why don't you spell out how YOU think it will pan-out in your vast collegiate expertiese?

Please "enlighten" us as to how it will go.... Till then, this is just someone's opinion that is passing the time till the OTA's go into "news" mode for this season... Not to mention a possible issue that will have to be delt with down the road....

"This poster" thought it was worthy of putting up on the board for "banter's sake"...

birtikidis
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Wtf IS YOU PROBLEM. damn. you are such a woman.

birtikidis
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
and my apologies to the ladies.

NKySteeler
05-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Wtf IS YOU PROBLEM. damn. you are such a woman.

My problem is you... Period, and end.

birtikidis
05-19-2009, 08:47 PM
cry about it then.
but damn, your constant complaining about everything i post is ridiculous.
or should I say "wow I love the offseason, and I love not knowing what's going to happen to some of my favorite players. I'm so at ease with not knowing. how could I ever be frustrated with how slow news moves in the offseason?"

NKySteeler
05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Not "crying" about anything, college boy.... I just don't like you.

birtikidis
05-19-2009, 08:59 PM
oh no. flyboy doesn't like me. i'm crushed.
too bad that i was posting about the article and you made it personal. I mean, it was a good article, no where near as retarded as the other one you posted.
oh well.

ramblinjim
05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for posting the article. It's a good read and the end of the 2009 season could indeed be quite sad with some of the excellent Steelers that have been around for many years go to play elsewhere. We are going to be losing some guys that have gone to battle every Sunday in the Black and Gold for the better part of a decade due to salary constraints, age and the like.

Here's to some of the guys we'll be losing at the end of the season.

:Cheers

NKySteeler
05-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for posting the article. It's a good read and the end of the 2009 season could indeed be quite sad with some of the excellent Steelers that have been around for many years go to play elsewhere. We are going to be losing some guys that have gone to battle every Sunday in the Black and Gold for the better part of a decade due to salary constraints, age and the like.

It's only natural that we won't keep everyone. But it could be an issue as to keeping even a few considering the events that may unfold, and then it possibly gets sticky.... It's gonna be interesting either way, IMO...

papillon
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM

It's only natural that we won't keep everyone. But it could be an issue as to keeping even a few considering the events that may unfold, and then it possibly gets sticky.... It's gonna be interesting either way, IMO...

It's interesting now because all the players mentioned are healthy and played relatively well last year (sans Parker) and entering the last year of their contract. Some will get injured, others will have their play decline and others will perform higher than expectations. After the season the Steelers will evaluate those playing their final year and determine a course of action.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
05-20-2009, 07:14 AM
I dont see Hampton as a necessity. Letting him walk after this year will save FATT money right there. We are in more of a bind with Starx.

steelblood
05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
May 18, 2009

If a new collective bargaining agreement can be hammered out before free agency, the Steelers would benefit. Colon and Miller would become restricted free agents instead of unrestricted, and teams would be able to place the franchise tag on two players instead of one.

Even so, some players will have to be purged from the roster because of how tight Pittsburgh is against the cap.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1780 ... r-steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178030-salary-cap-issues-looming-large-for-steelers)

Wait a minute. This article is inacurate in some crucial ways. First, it suggests that a new CBA will make Colon and Miller RFAs. In fact, it is the lack of a new CBA that will do this. If a new CBA is NOT reached, players will not be able to become UFAs until after their 6th season (4th right now). A new CBA would likely keep us with the current system.

Second, next year, there likely will be tough decisions to be made, but there will be money to do it with as well. Hampton and Starks are currently making a ton of money and likely will count about the same against the cap (and perhaps less) if resigned. Certainly, neither represents a significant increase in salary or alotted cap space. Dead money from Simmons and Mahan will be gone. The savings from this dead money could easily be used to resign Miller and Keisel or to get Santonio a new contract.

Of course, all of this assumes that there will be a salary cap next season. There is certainly a good chance that there won't be. Without a new CBA, there are no salary cap issues as there is no salary cap.

Oviedo
05-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Reality in the salary cap era is you have to take a step back about every 5 years to realign your cap structure. The adjustment period for the Steelers will begin after 2010. Steelers fans need to be ready for one or two down years as the cap structure gets realigned. Just how the system is designed and you can only dodge the bullet for so long.

The CBA or lack thereof is the big unknown going forward.

Of course, all of this assumes that there will be a salary cap next season. There is certainly a good chance that there won't be. Without a new CBA, there are no salary cap issues as there is no salary cap.

Technically you are correct however don't forget that the Rooney's just took on a significant debt load they have to service buying out the other brothers. They will run this like a business so while there may be no cap they will likely impose one internally to keep the business in the black. No salary cap does not help the Steelers in the long term. It may allow us to keep some current favorites a little longer but eventually the deep pockets owners with billions in external to the NFL income and with sweetheart stadium deals will distort the system.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2009, 09:24 AM
May 18, 2009

Wait a minute. This article is inacurate in some crucial ways. First, it suggests that a new CBA will make Colon and Miller RFAs. In fact, it is the lack of a new CBA that will do this. If a new CBA is NOT reached, players will not be able to become UFAs until after their 6th season (4th right now). A new CBA would likely keep us with the current system.

Second, next year, there likely will be tough decisions to be made, but there will be money to do it with as well. Hampton and Starks are currently making a ton of money and likely will count about the same against the cap (and perhaps less) if resigned. Certainly, neither represents a significant increase in salary or alotted cap space. Dead money from Simmons and Mahan will be gone. The savings from this dead money could easily be used to resign Miller and Keisel or to get Santonio a new contract.

The article also says:

"Miller, Reed and Clark could be signed to extensions during the season because their money demands won't be as gaudy as some. The rest will have to wait until the season ends."

Everyone who knows anything about the Steelers knows that they do not negotiate contracts during the season.

ramblinjim
05-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I realize it's always been the policy for the Steelers to not negotiate deals during the season but I wonder if they will side-step that this year if the CBA gets re-negotiated say late November?

frankthetank1
05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
can someone enlighten me as to why its always been policy not to negotiate with players during the season? is it too distracting? are there any other nfl teams that do this? hampton and parker i think are the odd men out as of now. casey is getting old and is declining. parker is hurt a lot and has a lot of miles on him. i love parker but i think this might be it for him. this is a good problem to have though. it happens when you have a roster filled with talent

stlrz d
05-20-2009, 11:11 AM
can someone enlighten me as to why its always been policy not to negotiate with players during the season? is it too distracting? are there any other nfl teams that do this? hampton and parker i think are the odd men out as of now. casey is getting old and is declining. parker is hurt a lot and has a lot of miles on him. i love parker but i think this might be it for him. this is a good problem to have though. it happens when you have a roster filled with talent

Yes, they see it as a distraction.

papillon
05-20-2009, 11:46 AM

The process also says to the player that no one is greater than the team. We'll talk to you prior to the season to get something worked out; if we can't reach terms we'll take it up after the season. The player takes a risk of getting injured and getting nothing the following year if they choose to play it that way. The Steelers risk losing a very good player. The Steelers have replaced many very good players over the years, so, the message is still, team first, then the players.

Pappy

frankthetank1
05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
thanks d and pap for the clarifacation. i wasnt really complaining about it i wasnt sure if i knew the reasoning. it makes sense, i guess if its not broke dont fix it. the steelers have been doing this for years and years and they have a ton of success

papillon
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
thanks d and pap for the clarifacation. i wasnt really complaining about it i wasnt sure if i knew the reasoning. it makes sense, i guess if its not broke dont fix it. the steelers have been doing this for years and years and they have a ton of success

Let me clarify, I don't know any of what I stated as fact. It's just an observation over 38 years of living Steeler football with the Rooneys as the owners.

Pappy