PDA

View Full Version : Steelers expect to cross the pond soon

NKySteeler
05-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Monday, May 18, 2009
Steelers expect to cross the pond soon

Given the team's high profile and the fact the league is looking at adding a second NFL game overseas in 2010, some in the Steelers organization expect the Steelers to be picked for a regular season international game - if not in 2010, then in 2011.

Pittsburgh would lose a home game something that could be made up if the league goes to a 17- or 18-game scheduled and would have a big travel week in the middle of its schedule.

As for possible game locations, I would look no farther than the country for which team chairman is this country's ambassador.

The Steelers played the Chicago Bears in Dublin in the 1997 preseason and the game was a rousing success.

NFL owners will meet this week in Fort Lauderdale and one of the big topics will be a rookie wage scale.

Even veteran players admit the rookie wage scale has gotten out of control. Look for the NFL to come up with something akin to what the NBA does with its rookie and slot the salaries.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Mister Pittsburgh
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Rookie slotting system would be terrific.

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 08:21 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/sn1.jpg

Djfan
05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
NFL outside of our borders is just stupid. Let's hope they come to their senses before this dumb stunt.

NKySteeler
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
NFL outside of our borders is just stupid. Let's hope they come to their senses before this dumb stunt.

Couldn't agree more....

I'm not a fan of this action whoever the team is. It's a detriment to the team as far as "off" days go... I don't believe in the whole "jet lag" thing because I do it all the time and it's really not a big deal... But losing the days off to prepare/practice for the game either before or after is what I don't like... Also, the city loses a home game and the revenue from it... THAT is a big deal IMO...

Goodell has a hard-on for European games for whatever reason, but in doing so, he is neglecting/penalizing the fans of that team by losing a home game... I'm all for international diplomacy, but screw them when it comes to this.... They had NFLE and it was a bust... Let them have thier soccer and Manchester United.... Leave the real football where it belongs... Here in the states.

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Europeans will not embrace American football. Soccer is their game. Always has been and always will be.

Djfan
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Europeans will not embrace American football. Soccer is their game. Always has been and always will be.

Goodell doesn't care. He has his idea, and the truth be darned.

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 08:48 PM
He'll find out soon enough it's a bad idea.

They think that because hoops is successful overseas that American football will be. It ain't happening.

snarky
05-19-2009, 09:37 PM

Don't agree with this. I've seen a number of people on EPL boards who follow the NFL. It's not a majority by any stretch but the interest is there. On the Aston Villa board there is a forum dedicated to the Browns. (Which is a shame because I sorta like Villa).

Whether it is misguided or not, I can't say -- but the NFL is tapped out domestically so if they want to grow their market they need to go overseas.

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Don't agree with this. I've seen a number of people on EPL boards who follow the NFL. It's not a majority by any stretch but the interest is there. On the Aston Villa board there is a forum dedicated to the Browns. (Which is a shame because I sorta like Villa).

Whether it is misguided or not, I can't say -- but the NFL is tapped out domestically so if they want to grow their market they need to go overseas.

Well I'm 42 and I'll predict that in my lifetime the NFL will not succeed in Europe.

And I disagree that the US market is tapped out. There are parts of the country that follow college ball much more rabidly than they follow pro ball and it's primarily due to them not having NFL teams "close enough" to really get into it.

Goodell eventually wants to put teams in Europe...why not put them here first?

Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of there being more teams anytime soon because it waters down the talent imo, but if there are going to be more teams added then put them in US markets.

DHSF
05-19-2009, 11:32 PM
I think expanding the fan base of the NFL is a good thing. I would be open games being played in other countries if the preseason was reduced by one game and the regular season was increased by one game. Each team would have to play one game in a neutral location each season. I don't think it is fair to take a home game away from a team in order to do it.

phillyesq
05-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Ok, I understand the desire to have a popular team play overseas. But why penalize the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh for being the best franchise in the NFL?

Why not take a home game away from somebody like the Vikings, Jags, etc. who have atteendance problems, let them be the "home" team, and let the Steelers play on those terms?

snarky
05-20-2009, 09:20 AM
My guess is that it's far from a penalty to play the overseas game. You get the gate plus probably a fair amount of gear sales.

EDIT: Oh and I meant to say, I'm not convinced the end goal here is to plop a team down in London. But more to just raise interest in the league so that they can sell more games to Sky Sports.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Ok, I understand the desire to have a popular team play overseas. But why penalize the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh for being the best franchise in the NFL?

Why not take a home game away from somebody like the Vikings, Jags, etc. who have atteendance problems, let them be the "home" team, and let the Steelers play on those terms?

:Agree

I understand why the league would want to send the Steelers over there since we are the most popular team in the league (Screw off, Cowboys...America's Team my @$$!) becuase it would drum up more interest, but I don't understand why they stated "Pittsburgh would lose a home game." Don't they normally take the home game away from teams that have trouble selling tickets on a week-to-week basis as opposed to teams that have season ticket waiting lists that are decades long?

pfelix73
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
NFL going overseas is stupid- IMO.

Greed rules.

Slapstick
05-20-2009, 09:46 AM
The NFL doesn't have to beat soccer over in Europe...

All it has to do is generate enough interest to grow their overseas revenue...

frankthetank1
05-20-2009, 10:58 AM
The NFL doesn't have to beat soccer over in Europe...

All it has to do is generate enough interest to grow their overseas revenue...

it still has to compete with soccer though and that in itself is very difficult. nfl in europe is really stupid. canada makes sense with the bills but thats it as far as expanding the borders for the nfl. i have no desire to go to europe but it would be cool to go there for a steeler game, i guess. id rather go to the burgh though

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah...if the NFL moves one of our home games to Ireland in the near future, SN1 and I better start convincing our wives now about how important it will be for us to travel to the Emerald Isle in the fall of 2010 or 2011 or whatever. :mrgreen:

SteelCzar76
05-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I actually think a game in Ireland would be a good look. Because it's an opportunity to not only properly represent American football overseas (as opposed to two bottom feeder units boring Europeans to sleep),...but Steeler football as well. Not taking into account the fact that us playing in Ireland would essentially be a home Game as i do not think there is a larger contingent of foreign Steeler fans outside of the UK.( though they are all over the World.)

Not that it matters to me whether or not our game is loved around the world,...but i do want it to be respected.

And in the end,...it is a good business move for the league, (overseas revenue generated by interest in the game) which helps to strengthen the league as a whole.

Besides, we never have to be concerned with foreigners coming to saturate the ranks of the Nfl as is the case with MLB,.....as it would be nearly impossible for countries outside of Northern/Western Europe, Australia, Canada, Russia and possibly Brazil to even field many men physically capable of playing at the pro level. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
There will probably be at least one chadvote for the Steeler overseas game to take place in Sydney. :wink:

papillon
05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
There will probably be at least one chadvote for the Steeler overseas game to take place in Sydney. :wink:

As long as it isn't a hanging Chadvote. :stirpot :moon :tt2

Pappy

Slapstick
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
it still has to compete with soccer though and that in itself is very difficult. nfl in europe is really stupid. canada makes sense with the bills but thats it as far as expanding the borders for the nfl. i have no desire to go to europe but it would be cool to go there for a steeler game, i guess. id rather go to the burgh though

It doesn't have to compete with soccer at all...at least, not right away...

Right now, the NFL is a novelty in Europe...NFL games can fill 100,000+ seat stadiums in Europe...they just want to generate enough interest that they can sell merchandise and obtain lucrative TV contracts in Europe, just like they have in the states...

It will take time, but it can happen...soccer was once nothing here in the states, and now it is more popular than ever...it still is only a fraction of the popularity of the NFL, but I'm certain that the NFL would be ecstatic with a similar level of success in Europe...