PDA

View Full Version : Take your pick: Timmons or Rivers

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2 ... ivers.html (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-539/Take-your-pick--Timmons-or-Rivers.html)

Take your pick: Timmons or Rivers

May 19, 2009 11:20 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Our "Take Your Pick" blog posts in the AFC North are never easy, and we have another thought-provoking question for our community this week: Which young linebacker will have the better season in 2009: Lawrence Timmons or Keith Rivers?

Both young defenders are former first-round picks. Timmons waited two years with the Pittsburgh Steelers before cracking the starting lineup, while Rivers of the Cincinnati Bengals had a fast start to his rookie year cut short by a broken jaw in 2008.

So which player will have the biggest breakout year for their team this season?

Take your pick.

You can send your thoughts on this topic to James here: http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagES ... t_id=21416 (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=21416)

Btw, I made the foolish mistake of looking at some of the reader comments again. One guy said Rivers will be better because he did something his rookie year and Timmons didn't. :roll: Why do I bother reading what 13 year olds post on the internet? :?

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I think Rivers will be better because he did something his rookie year and Timmons didn't.

:lol:

Oracle
05-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Timmons. I hope that helps.

Oviedo
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I think Rivers will be better because he did something his rookie year and Timmons didn't.

:lol:

Rivers did something because he was on a team with no talent at the LB position. They dumped a number of their LBs so Rivers got the position by default.

Timmons will be more of an impact player than Rivers plus we all know Rivers has a glass jaw. Kid can't take a punch.
:wink:

BURGH86STEEL
05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Timmoms will probably have a better year because he is surrounded by better talent.

birtikidis
05-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Rivers wiell have a better year because Palmer and that pathetic offense will be on the sideline so much. he'll have more opportunity.
--or--
timmons will have a better year because rivers will be afraid to play linebacker.

mshifko
05-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Timmoms will probably have a better year because he is surrounded by better talent.
and he's better

birtikidis
05-19-2009, 08:53 PM
and he's better
Not only does he have better talent around him he also has more talent. but the most important thing is he has better coaches.

snarky
05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Rivers will be better because he did something his rookie year

I forget, was it a misdemeanor or a felony?

Jom112
05-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Rivers did something because he was on a team with no talent at the LB position. They dumped a number of their LBs so Rivers got the position by default.

Timmons will be more of an impact player than Rivers plus we all know Rivers has a glass jaw. Kid can't take a punch.

I get that you hate the Bengals, but I know your smarter than this. Who exactly did we "dump"?

Ahmad Brooks doesn't play the weak side, he was a MLB that couldn't cut it. Caleb Miller was probably the worst LB I have ever seen, which is why no team has picked him up since he left. LeMarr Marshall had a torn achilles and hasn't been signed anywhere else (He was actually pretty good, it sucks that he got hurt).

Landon Johnson wanted more money and Carolina offered it. He was the only decent LB that left.

Rivers would have been starting over any of them. Plus we signed Brandon Johnson who is the backup WLB and is actually pretty good, which is why we resigned him this offseason. And River's jaw is about as strong as Mendenhall's shoulder. Injuries happen, it's the NFL. You don't dismiss a player because of that.

As for the original question, when I read it this morning I actually thought it was a pretty good question. I would take Rivers because I think he can take on blockers better than Timmons. Timmons has more speed and can get to the QB at times faster than any LB in the game, but his play is still a bit inconsistent.

Plus I've been hating on Timmons for years saying how you guys should have drafted Jon Beason instead, so I can't give him too much credit now... :lol:

Now that's funny...

DukieBoy
05-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Philip Rivers is a punk, overrated, and a loudmouth.

Oh, wait, he's the one who should have had the jaw injury.

Oviedo
05-20-2009, 07:50 AM

I get that you hate the Bengals, but I know your smarter than this. Who exactly did we "dump"?

Ahmad Brooks doesn't play the weak side, he was a MLB that couldn't cut it. Caleb Miller was probably the worst LB I have ever seen, which is why no team has picked him up since he left. LeMarr Marshall had a torn achilles and hasn't been signed anywhere else (He was actually pretty good, it sucks that he got hurt).

Landon Johnson wanted more money and Carolina offered it. He was the only decent LB that left.

Rivers would have been starting over any of them. Plus we signed Brandon Johnson who is the backup WLB and is actually pretty good, which is why we resigned him this offseason. And River's jaw is about as strong as Mendenhall's shoulder. Injuries happen, it's the NFL. You don't dismiss a player because of that.

As for the original question, when I read it this morning I actually thought it was a pretty good question. I would take Rivers because I think he can take on blockers better than Timmons. Timmons has more speed and can get to the QB at times faster than any LB in the game, but his play is still a bit inconsistent.

Plus I've been hating on Timmons for years saying how you guys should have drafted Jon Beason instead, so I can't give him too much credit now... :lol:

Now that's funny...

Okay. Maybe "dumped" was a poor choice of words but the fact remains that Rivers had no talent in front of him that he had to compete with to start unlike Timmons who had solid players he actually had to compete against. The point I was making is that Timmons had to earn his position and Rivers was given his.

Don't think that I am hating on Rivers. He played high school 20 minutes from where I live and I watched him throughout high school. The kid is a good player and from all accounts a good citizen.

Please quit thinking I hate the Bumgals. I don't hate them. They make me laugh :D I actually feel for fans who try to find something to support in the comedy of errors that are the Bumgals. Just because I like you I'll give you an early scoop: The Bumgals are my early choice for 2nd place in the AFC North this year...behind the Steelers.

flippy
05-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Rivers is 9 days older than Timmons.

He came into the league better prepared to play LB.

And more should be expected from him, he's more complete at this point.

But Timmons has a burst and can be disruptive in a way that Rivers isn't capable of.

Timmons has the bigger upside.

He is really an unknown as a 3 down player at this point.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Rivers will put up better numbers.

Timmons will have more success.

AngryAsian
05-21-2009, 04:39 PM
:roll: Why do I bother reading what 13 year olds post on the internet? :?

Maybe if you wouldn't stalk them on myspace, you wouldn't have to tolerate their banter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
05-21-2009, 07:12 PM
:roll: Why do I bother reading what 13 year olds post on the internet? :?

Maybe if you wouldn't stalk them on myspace, you wouldn't have to tolerate their banter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/RonandSwannAS.jpg