PDA

View Full Version : Tony Kornheiser out on MNF; Will be replaced by Jon Gruden

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2009, 10:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174469

Updated: May 18, 2009, 10:42 AM ET
Gruden joins 'Monday Night Football'
ESPN.com

Jon Gruden intends to coach again, but until that day, the man known throughout the NFL as "Chucky" will get to sharpen his teeth in ESPN's "Monday Night Football" booth.

Gruden will join play-by-play man Mike Tirico and analyst Ron Jaworski in September, replacing Tony Kornheiser.

"This is a tremendous opportunity and I am very excited to be associated with ESPN and Monday Night Football," Gruden said in a statement released by ESPN. "I grew up a fan of Monday Night Football, and whether I've coached on Monday night or watched, I've hardly missed a game all these years.

"To join Mike and Jaws in the booth and to work alongside this top-notch team is going to be a real thrill."

The 40th season of "Monday Night Football" kicks off Sept. 14 with a doubleheader; the New England Patriots play host to the Buffalo Bills at 7 p.m. ET and the San Diego Chargers visit the Oakland Raiders at 10:15 ET.

Kornheiser decided to step down after three years of MNF.

"I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons," he said. "I feel we got better each year. My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself."

"If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden," Kornheiser added. "He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don't -- good hair and a tan. I love PTI and am looking forward to continuing to yammer and yodel with Wilbon until the end of time."

Gruden was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Jan. 16 and replaced by defensive coordinator Raheem Morris just weeks after the Bucs' season-ending loss to the Raiders cost them a possible playoff spot.

At 60-57 in seven seasons, Gruden was the winningest coach in Bucs history and led Tampa Bay to victory in Super Bowl XXXVII. He also has coached the Raiders.

RussBII
05-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Can Chuckie censor himslef enough? I was always under the impression that he had the worst mouth.

I am happy Kornheiser is gone. I'm going to have to tape PTI tonight and see what he says....

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I like Mr. Tony. Always have.

Gruden will be back in coaching next season and the MNF booth shuffle will continue.

Djfan
05-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Maybe D, but he is funny. I bet it's a good thing.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
First Madden, and now Kornheiser? Who knows? Before long, I might turn the audio up when I'm watching football...

RussBII
05-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Gruden will be back in coaching next season and the MNF booth shuffle will continue.

I love Kornheiser on PTI. I hated him on MNF. TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL!!!!

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 11:30 AM

The reason I've always like Tony is because the focus has always been sports but there is no fear of straying from sports.

Imo, there is room for non-football talk in the MNF booth as long as they don't go completely away from it and for too long.

I think guys like Dennis Miller and Tony Kornheiser brought a different perspective.

RussBII
05-18-2009, 11:41 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3apgmzyz]I like Mr. Tony. Always have.

The reason I've always like Tony is because the focus has always been sports but there is no fear of straying from sports.

Imo, there is room for non-football talk in the MNF booth as long as they don't go completely away from it and for too long.

I think guys like Dennis Miller and Tony Kornheiser brought a different perspective.[/quote:3apgmzyz]

See, now I liked Dennis Miller. I think I started to hate Kornheiser when he did the re-opening of the Super Dome after Katrina. He was soooo sanctimonious about it.

I also hate how he over talks Jaws.

ramblinjim
05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm a DC guy and have always liked TK. I think he was better on PTI than on MNF but I thought he did a fine job bringing another perspective the game. Now this is all conjecture but I've read Kornheiser in the Post and listened to his radio show here in DC for years and I'll bet he doesn't like the travel and the work that is involved with doing MNF. I can only imagine the preparation time and the travel time for MNF and can see how a 60 year old can not want to do it anymore.

I'm not so sure about Chucky on MNF, maybe he'll surprise me but I've never been a big fan of his. I'd love to see Cowher on MNF just because I think he would be fun and would bring a cool perspective.

NorthCoast
05-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Agreed. MNF was a shoe that didn't fit TK....se la vie. Actually looking forward to some good booth shots of Gruden scrunching up his face....

Iron Shiek
05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm interested to hear Chuckie on there. The first week or two will determine his legacy for sure. He is pretty polarizing so people will likely make up their minds after a couple weeks.

snarky
05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I liked his intros to the game but his game-time commentary was terrible IMO. Last year, MT was the only one in the booth I really liked. I think Gruden is a good add.

Oviedo
05-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I liked his intros to the game but his game-time commentary was terrible IMO. Last year, MT was the only one in the booth I really liked. I think Gruden is a good add.

If the Cosell led teams of early MNF were the A-team they are definitely down to the C team nowadays. Both Kornheiser and Jaworski are terrible. THree is a booth is just to awkward and it is almost like they make stuff up just to talk. I'd much prefer them doing a 2 man operation like every other broadcast.

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 01:37 PM

If the Cosell led teams of early MNF were the A-team they are definitely down to the C team nowadays. Both Kornheiser and Jaworski are terrible. THree is a booth is just to awkward and it is almost like they make stuff up just to talk. I'd much prefer them doing a 2 man operation like every other broadcast.

I liked Cosell...but what's funny is how he is considered the gold standard. Think about this for a minute. He was a lawyer (not a football guy), had a vocabulary that rivaled Dennis Miller's and talked about non football things all the time.

Funny, ain't it? :P

Jigawatts
05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Tirico is much more annoying than Kornheiser.

Oviedo
05-18-2009, 01:49 PM

I liked Cosell...but what's funny is how he is considered the gold standard. Think about this for a minute. He was a lawyer (not a football guy), had a vocabulary that rivaled Dennis Miller's and talked about non football things all the time.

He had the ability to make the irrelevant relevant while being entertaining. That is what MNF misses. Its all about timing and Cosell had it plus he didn't take himself too seriously which is the problem with these other guys trying to prove how smart they are.

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 01:59 PM

He had the ability to make the irrelevant relevant while being entertaining. That is what MNF misses. Its all about timing and Cosell had it plus he didn't take himself too seriously which is the problem with these other guys trying to prove how smart they are.

I agree with what you're saying. I was a fan. But the part I highlighted is Tony to a tee. His whole shtick has been self deprecating humor.

I guess my whole point is too many football guys will make for a bad broadcast, imo.

papillon
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I must be the exception, in that, I don't really want to hear about anything outside of the football game, the teams or the NFL when I'm watching a football game. If I want humor and entertainment I'll change the channel. I don't mind hearing about players and their lives outside of the game, same with coaches, etc., but, that's it. I don't want to hear jokes and asides.

On the other hand, three football guys in the booth may be a bit too much to handle. Why not go with Play-by-play and color commentary?

Pappy

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 05:48 PM
I must be the exception, in that, I don't really want to hear about anything outside of the football game, the teams or the NFL when I'm watching a football game. If I want humor and entertainment I'll change the channel. I don't mind hearing about players and their lives outside of the game, same with coaches, etc., but, that's it. I don't want to hear jokes and asides.

On the other hand, three football guys in the booth may be a bit too much to handle. Why not go with Play-by-play and color commentary?

Pappy

Talk of football and only football would be boring and repetitive. They talk down and people who know the game get annoyed. They talk too technical and they risk going over people's heads...losing the casual viewers.

A three man booth of only football guys is bad news. More viewers = higher ratings = more ad revenue.

Steel Life
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree with D...TK is better than most give him credit for & Gruden will disappoint. Didn't anyone see Gruden during the draft?...He was awful. Besides being unprepared, he didn't add anything of any substance besides his new found love of the Florida offense & the Wildcat. I don't expect anything interesting out of him because he clearly wants back in the game & he won't risk alienating players or owners by saying anything critical.

D is right, it'll be a failed experiment that'll end with Gruden back on the sidelines - either ND or NFL - & the MNF producers on another quest for the perfect third-wheel. I must confess that if it was Cowher, I'd feel differently as I've been impressed by his work on CBS & I feel they need an emotional defensive counter to Jaws.

costanza2k1
05-18-2009, 09:41 PM

...My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true...

Wuss.

SidSmythe
05-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I couldn't stand Kornheiser b/c he always tried to speak so eliquantly and go on rants of poetry. Drove me nuts!! Was a big act.

I was never a huge fan of Gruden, but he was on during the draft this year and I thought he did an excellent job and he seems like a decent guy when taken away from the stress of coaching.

AngryAsian
05-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Kornholer is one of my least favorite NFL commentators. As a sports analyst on PTI, he's tolerable. During the 2007, when the cheats* were making their run, there was a Monday night that they did where they were just gushing over Brady... even went as far as posting all the homo-cowboy pics that Brady modeled for and Tony lead the way with his "rainbow-colorful" commentary. Absolutely lame... and definitely had no place on MNF. I hope the Chuckster can do better.

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Wuss.

I'm sure that there is a bus...err, Cruiser...for sale out there by somebody who used to drive to all of the primetime football games. Hmmm...

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Wuss.

I'm sure that there is a bus...err, Cruiser...for sale out there by somebody who used to drive to all of the primetime football games. Hmmm...

In his statement he said this season's schedule would have him going from bus to plane frequently, so apparently he's already got a bus?

"When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself."