PDA

View Full Version : The Aaron Smith You Never Knew: A Real Q&A

fordfixer
05-17-2009, 11:38 PM
JC: Aaron, tell me about your Super Bowl experience.

Aaron: It was unbelievable. Honestly the stress on that level is so far beyond anything. You know, I tell people, it’s like working your entire life for a chance at something, and then realizing this might be the only opportunity you have to get it. So I mean, I was so focused.

JC: You were telling me a similar story about the days leading up to Super Bowl XL.

Aaron: Yeah (laughs). My wife was pregnant at the time with our third child. So we go to Detroit and she flies up early that week so we have some time together. Well, I was so focused like a deer in the headlights, I feel bad man. I mean, I hardly even talked to my wife those three or four days up there. (laughs) And uh, so then we go and play the game, we win, and we wind up driving back with my wife and my kids, and I’m talking to her, and she’s like man, it’s so good to have you back.

She’s like this last week when we were alone, you hardly talked to me, I thought we were going to have to get counseling. (laughs) I’m like, I didn’t even realize it, you know, cause I was so focused on the moment. And uh I felt so bad for my wife. So it was a good moment, but it was also probably one of my lower moments as a husband.

JC: Aaron, I am sure your life has changed since winning two Super Bowls.

Aaron: Yeah

JC: Before that most people knew you as an All-Pro Defensive End for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but not a lot of fans know your story prior to finding success in the NFL. What was life like for you growing up?

Aaron: I grew up the youngest of four boys. Um, my father was a construction worker. Uh my mom was a nurse. Early on in my life my father didn’t work much, you know, it was kind of seasonal, in and out, up until he got sick with diabetes, and then he was really unemployed. At that point it seemed to kind of change him as a man.

JC: How did he change?

Aaron: I think a lot of us, men in today’s society; we put so much stock in what we do for a living as what we are as men. And uh I think that he lost his identity. As far as he was concerned, he wasn’t—in his eyes; maybe he wasn’t thinking he was really a man.

He became kind of angry and violent toward a lot of us. Uh and then it was to a point where a lot of times I’d go to bed at night, um, scared, you know, of what he was going to do. So I would tell him I loved him just in case he did something that night. He’d think I was the last one who loved him and might not—might not kill me that night or whatever else.

JC: When did the situation finally turn around?

Aaron: My mom finally said I’m going to leave your dad. My oldest brother was gone, so she told him to come get all the firearms and stuff out of the house. Then she told us I’m going to take you kids out, but I got to tell your dad. So she told him. And he took it well. I mean, I think that was the work of the Lord right there for him to handle it as well as he did.

JC: Did things ever get better with your father?

Aaron: I was around 11 or 12 when we left. When I was 16, my father passed away. And it was unfortunate because I still had a lot of anger and resentment built up towards him. Actually the last time I saw my father, um, he stood up to give me a hug at my grandfather’s house and I walked straight past him. I didn’t even acknowledge him. And a couple months later he passed away. My mom came to school and told me, and I had to drive home and that—that was a hard moment in my life.

JC: That’s a lot to deal with for a young man. How did you get through that time in your life?

Aaron: Things got worse before they got better. From that point on, I really struggled. I figured what was the point of living? What was the point of even trying? We’re all going to die, you know. I was really angry with God. Um, for giving me the father I had. You know, I’d go to the basketball courts and see fathers playing ball with their sons, or seeing men doing things with their sons, and meanwhile here I am with the father that I had that didn’t even want to do anything with me. And uh, I was...I was pretty bitter about it. Almost to the point of self-destruction.

I was pretty fortunate though. I had some strong, moral Christian men in my life as coaches. They really took an interest in me and they kind of pulled me up out of the gutter a little bit, enough to get me off to college, cause I wasn’t even trying to go to college at that point.

So I went to college, and life was a lot better. I met my wife, had a good college career and in ’99 I was drafted by the Steelers.

JC: That’s funny man because from what I remember you didn’t even want to play football.

Aaron: (laughs) I wanted to be the next Michael Jordan. Basketball is my first love and I was playing basketball, and the football coach said you know, you’re a pretty good athlete. Why don’t you come play football? So I went out my freshman year and played football and got moved up to varsity.

I quit when December came, cause that’s when hoops season starts. I said I’m done, I’m gonna play hoops. And they’re like what’s wrong, why are you doing this? And then my sophomore year I didn’t even play football. I said I’m going to concentrate on basketball.

They talked me into playing again my junior year, I made All-State, and then my senior year the colleges came around. And I went to a small division II school. I was only 205 pounds when I got there.

JC: At Northern Colorado?

Aaron: Yeah, playing defensive end at 205 lbs (laughs).

JC: Bro, I played Linebacker in college at 215! (laugh) I know you were in the weight room from day one.

Aaron: Yeah, I think I slept in the weight room one night (laughs). I ended up red-shirting my freshmen year. So I played a long time in college. By the end of my fifth year I was 6’5”/298.

JC: Getting drafted seemed like it took that long too didn’t it?

Aaron: You know that’s an interesting story too. Here I am, I’m...think I’m going to be a first day, draft pick. And uh, you know, the Pittsburgh Steelers called me on the first day in the third round. And they’re like you know, Aaron, we’re going to see, whether we’re going to go offense or defense. And uh so I’m sitting on the phone, and they’re like all right, we’ll call you right back and hang up the phone.

This is the last pick in the third round. And next thing I know I see the scroll on ESPN—Pittsburgh Steelers draft Amos Zereoue, Running Back, West Virginia. I was crushed. I mean that was another moment I cried. I mean I cried. I was distraught.

JC: So you feel like the Steelers left you high and dry, and you have to sleep on it until the following day. Then during the fourth round the phone rings again.

Aaron: Well the next day they (Steelers) called me, they said we’re going to take you. I’m like I’ll believe it when I see it. You know, and uh they draft me, and then, you know, I was ecstatic.

JC: You ended up being drafted by the Steelers. In 11 years you have been to the Pro Bowl and won two Super Bowls. What has the experience been like for you?

Aaron: Unbelievable. I mean, working for the Steelers and the Rooneys, is like no other place. I mean they treat you as a person. In some places they treat you like you’re property, like you’re just an investment. They treat you as a person first and foremost here. The give you the ability to express yourself and your faith, um, and do it in an environment that’s comfortable for everybody else, I can’t say enough.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1774 ... aron-smith (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/177488-the-aaron-smith-you-never-knew-a-real-qa-with-steelers-de-aaron-smith)

JC: How much does being a Pittsburgh Steeler mean to you?

Aaron: I will retire a Steeler. When they’re done with me here, I will retire a Steeler. That’s how much respect I have for this organization.

JC: Last question. Looking back on everything, what do you think of the way things have ended up?

Aaron: Now that I am grown up, I know the Lord had a plan. I wouldn't change anything now. You know, where I'm at, who I am, it's made me who I am. You don't see that at the time, but in the end it's all worth it.

JC

Oviedo
05-18-2009, 08:12 AM
The guy HAS TO retire as a Steeler. It would be a huge injustice if he didn't.

Seems like a guy who has lived the worst and the best.

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Yeah, there are certain guys that simply have to play their entire careers with the Steelers. It would just look wrong if they didn't. It's not a huge list. Hines, Aaron, Ben, Troy. There are some young guys as well like Heath and LaMarr, but I'll stick with that foursome for now.

papillon
05-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah, there are certain guys that simply have to play their entire careers with the Steelers. It would just look wrong if they didn't. It's not a huge list. Hines, Aaron, Ben, Troy. There are some young guys as well like Heath and LaMarr, but I'll stick with that foursome for now.

Sadly, I don't see Lamarr making it to the end of his career. We'll see though how it goes for the next year or two. I still don't like the Hines Ward deal that keeps him a Steeler.

Pappy

NorthCoast
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
He has some sage words for all those dads who have become recently unemployed in todays economy. Do whatever it takes to shield your children from your pain and anger. There is no way they should feel responsible or have to bear what you are feeling.

steelblood
05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Is the bleacher report the place where anyone can post stuff?

If so, is this thing real? Who is JC?

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2009, 03:06 PM

According the bio listed on their site:

Jonathan Cyprowski is a promising young journalist with CBN Sports. Growing up in the city of Pittsburgh he learned to appreciate the old school traditions in sports, but from a new school perspective. Whether it’s doing a feature length television interview with Dwayne Wade or producing an exclusive with Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford, Jonathan brings a fresh look at the world of sports.

When he stopped watching cartoons and started tuning into SportsCenter in the 3rd grade it became clear that sports would be a passion for Jonathan. Playing every sport he could including a brief stint in collegiate football gave Jonathan a great foundation and understanding of a number of sports. After having kidney failure on the practice field Jonathan turned his attention to becoming the next great sports journalist. With a Master’s Degree in Journalism, and a B.A. in communications his education matches his unbridled enthusiasm for real, intriguing sports journalism.

His experience with kidney failure altered his approach to sports only from a physical standpoint. Instead of playing them he covers them, and in doing so he brings an athlete’s perspective to his writing. Sometimes opinionated but always-fair Jonathan’s use of whit, irony and a flair for the dramatic make his writing a must read for sports fans everywhere.

There was even a picture of the two of them, so, yes, I suppose it is real (even if he can't spell "wit")

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0358/2149/n656478641_1182978_6059_feature.jpg

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 07:58 PM

Yes. But at least this guy isn't some 14 year old with no journalism background writing a story on why the Detroit Lions will go from worst to first.

Didn't someone post a story like that last year? Some 14 or 15 year old who wrote a story on why the Bengals would surpass the Steelers in 2008 or something like that?