PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap Increased!!

fordfixer
05-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Posted on: May 15, 2009 5:38 pm
Salary Cap Increased!!

http://three-rivers-five-rings.groups.c ... 9/15059804 (http://three-rivers-five-rings.groups.cbssports.com/mcc/groups/post/8954419/15059804)

According to the Associated Press, the NFL has increased the salary cap from $116 million in 2008 to a staggering $128 million in 2009. Originally, the increase was expected to be about $7 million, to a total of $123 million. The extra $5 million is fantastic news for the Steelers who were pretty tight up against the cap.

This extra space could be used to help them sign a couple of their more important 2010 FAs to extensions.

Oviedo
05-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Looks like we have the room to get long term solutions with players like Heath Miller, Lamar Woodley, Max Starks and Santonio Holmes.

pfelix73
05-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Yippee!

Great news!

Unless Dan and Artie are going to take bonuses..........

:tt1

steelz09
05-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes!

It's time to sign some of our guys long term. Holmes is a must. Heath is a must although I think Spaeth is solid (at receiving.

Starks needs to sign a long term deal if you wants to stay with this team. And to be honest, I don't know what his intentions are. Starks has milked this team for a lot of money both last year and appears to be this year. The Steelers normally don't allow this to happen but their neglect on the tackle situation gives them little leverage.

Starks can probably make real good money on some loser team and thats fine. If thats what he wants, then let him walk. Personally, I don't think he's that good anyway and I think he feels that his on the field productivity is much better than what it really is.

If they don't extend him then obviously Tony Hills is our LT of the future IMHO.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
The good news is the salary cap increased.

The bad news is it's not as good of news as we thought.
See: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09137/97 ... eelers.xml (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09137/970756-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

There's no way we're going to be able to sign all of our free agents that are going into the final year of their contracts. Holmes? Please! He's not even entering the final year.

I doubt that Starks will sign an extension. Why should he? He can take his big paychecks for this season, and hit the market next year. I agree with the author of the above article that Miller and Reed will probably be targeted for re-upping. And the Steelers may well try to re-sign Clark. They may feel pressed to try to do something with Hampton, since they failed to draft any kind of DT replacement the past couple of years. If they got new deals done for three out of those four, it would be an outstanding achievement. Of the 9 who are entering their contract year, I can't see any more than 3 kept on.

They might decide to bite the bullet and let ALL of those 9 FA's go, and use the money saved in 2010 to try to retain Woodley and Holmes.

One thing seems fairly certain: by the start of the 2010 season, this team will look markedly different from the team that won Super Bowl XLIII.

Oviedo
05-18-2009, 08:17 AM
I think Miller and Reed are must resigns and those should get done.

No way Starks resigns. With what he would look for in annual salary and bonus his contract would make Harrison's look small. I do hope he is reasonabale but I really don't see it.

Colon can leave as far as I'm concerned, but if they can get him for a good price he may be worh keeping.

Casey is one player I would no way resign. He is on the back side of his career and he is nothing but a two down player now. Once he got the big contract knowing it was his last I could see him not really caring because we know that he doesn't care about taking care of himself now. I really wish we would had gotten a Nose Tackle in this draft.

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Perhaps they could extend Keisel to a reasonable extension, which would also reduce his cap number this season (which jumped from nearly $2 million last year to almost $5 million this year because his last contract was backloaded).

Oviedo
05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Perhaps they could extend Keisel to a reasonable extension, which would also reduce his cap number this season (which jumped from nearly $2 million last year to almost $5 million this year because his last contract was backloaded).

I would hope so because Kiesel is more importnat and better than most give him credit for. Every year he leads in QB pressures. He would be far more valuable as part of a rotation than either Kirschke or Eason.

papillon
05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
One step at a time. Miller, Reed, Kiesel (rework) and Clark are probably the top signees right now. Starks isn't signing anything unless its value is way more than he's worth. It's a risk on his part, an injury stops his gravy train. Holmes isn't in the last year of his contract and I'm sure (well, I hope) Colbert is determining exactly how to keep him a Steeler. It will probably affect more than one current veteran.

Likely veteran losses/contract reworks:

Casey Hampton (Only a two down player with a back loaded contract coming due)

Willie Parker (pending production) - If Mendenhall and Summers perform, he could be out regardless of production. Large salary for a RB that has been in the league longer than the RB average.

Hines Ward (I know they just extended him, but, they won't be able to pay him out to the end)

Ben (He may have to rework his largess to help out)

Kiesel, Kirschke, Hoke, Eason, Smith - Something will have to give, can't keep them all

Hartwig - The Steelers really need Shipley or Stapleton to be able to play center as well as Hartwig.

DeShea Townsend - Getting on in years and some point experience can't compensate for youth's speed and strength.

Pappy's two cents

Pappy