PDA

View Full Version : Stick a Fork in the Colts

Flasteel
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
It's one thing to lose a long-time successful head coach but the turnover on their staff combined with some talent issues leads me to beleive that the Colts will struggle big time in '09. Tom Moore and Howard Mudd brought a lot of stability in light of the loss of Tony Dungy and the dismissal of Ron Meeks. Combine that with the abject lack of depth and talent they have on the defensive side of the ball (especially the back 7), as well as the loss of Marvin Harrison and the aging of their line, I see trouble for this team.

The ironic part of it is the latest decision to bring in Clyde Christensen as the new OC to replace Moore. He was basically the reason Tony Dungy was let go in Tampa 8 years ago. The lone criticisms of Dungy here in the bay were his failure to find the right guy to run his offense and the undying allegience to his staff. When he promoted Christensen to OC and the team looked lost offensively, Dungy was gone.

Too bad we don't play them this year, but I doubt Indy will be standing in our way in the drive for number 7.

grotonsteel
05-16-2009, 12:23 PM
How come Bruce Arians gets to keep his job and OC like Tom Moore get fired?? :wink:

I am surprised why did they replace Tom Moore....How will Peyton Manning react??

Flasteel
05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
How come Bruce Arians gets to keep his job and OC like Tom Moore get fired?? :wink:

I am surprised why did they replace Tom Moore....How will Peyton Manning react??

Moore and Mudd were apparently forced to retire due to the new policies adopted by the league. I'm sure that Manning isn't happy about losing the only coordinator he's ever had but he'll be even less thrilled with the gameplans stitched together by Clyde.

grotonsteel
05-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Just read article on Yahoo on this. I was not aware of coaches pension plan.

How old is Bruce Arians?? :twisted:

Starlifter
05-16-2009, 12:40 PM
peyton runs the offense in Indy. a coordinator is simply a waste of salary...

stlrz d
05-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Moore and Mudd were apparently forced to retire due to the new policies adopted by the league. I'm sure that Manning isn't happy about losing the only coordinator he's ever had but he'll be even less thrilled with the gameplans stitched together by Clyde.

What new policies??? The league has a policy that forces coaches to retire? Wouldn't that affect LeBeau?

Please elaborate or provide a link or something so I know what you're referencing.

Thanks! :)

Ozey74
05-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I would look for a decline in Peyton's production next year. He is at his best when all his ducks are in a row. That's why he sucks once the post season start and the level of competition goes up. The smallest bit of adversity and Peyton's level of play goes down. His game in Cleveland last year is just one example that comes to mind. The westher that day was bad. True, the Colts won, but barely. He is fine at the dome when he & the team are fully healthly. Remember the frist few games last year? The Colts stunk. He was commimg off late off season surgery & Jeff Saturday was out.

The change of chemistry on the coaching staff this year will be hard for him to adjust to.

Flasteel
05-16-2009, 12:57 PM

What new policies??? The league has a policy that forces coaches to retire? Wouldn't that affect LeBeau?

Please elaborate or provide a link or something so I know what you're referencing.

Here you go D. This article provides a little background:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4147407

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2009, 01:09 PM
While the Colts' primary competition within the division has been Tennessee recently and Jacksonville before that, my first bold prediction for the 2009 season is that the Houston Texans win the NFC South. The Colts and Titans will challenge for wild card spots.

birtikidis
05-16-2009, 02:22 PM

FLA I don't know if I trust the credibility of that article. I mean they did call the ravens CLASSY afterall. :roll: :ratsuck

Oviedo
05-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Because Arians was the OC for the most recent winner of the Super Bowl...duh :wink:

JDSteeler
05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Is it this Fork, The Fork of Greatness!!!

JD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR2o2k9qkOg

proudpittsburgher
05-16-2009, 06:25 PM
peyton runs the offense in Indy. a coordinator is simply a waste of salary...

Quoted for truth.

And you can throw in there that Peyton coaches the team as well. we found that out in the AFC divisional playoff in 05, when Peyton ordered his offense back out on the field on fourth and 8 from his own 30. If Peyton doesn't complete that pass, the game is over in the third quarter. But Dungy lost control of that team on that day, if it didn't happen sooner.

stlrz d
05-16-2009, 11:10 PM

Thanks. I read it but I'm not sure my tiny brain understood it. About all I got out of it is the owners changed something so these guys retired.

:?

costanza2k1
05-17-2009, 04:46 PM

I can't find the article or where I read it but the Rooney's have gone on record stating that they will honor the old pension plans for current staff. How's that for class?

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Not so fast...retired coaches Moore and Mudd will return as consultants:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4193713

Updated: May 21, 2009, 1:19 PM ET
Irsay bringing retired coaches back
ESPN.com news services

The Colts apparently will benefit from the influence of longtime assistants Tom Moore and Howard Mudd this season, after all. However, this time they will fill roles as consultants, rather than coaches.

Colts owner Jim Irsay said at the NFL's spring owner meetings Wednesday that he planned to bring Moore and Mudd back in consultant roles.

"We don't have any signed agreements, but I do believe all parties feel Tom and Howard would play significant roles for us moving forward and they would be consultants,'' Irsay said in a telephone interview with the Indianapolis Star. "They not only would be a major part of what we're trying to do in '09, but they'd continue to mentor and tutor some of the other coaches.''

Moore, who had been the team's offensive coordinator, and Mudd, who was the team's offensive line coach, retired last week to avoid losing pension benefits under the NFL's revised plan.

It is unclear when the two former coaches could return to the Colts.

The team would like the two coaches to return as paid consultants by Aug. 1. However, Larry Kennan, executive director of the NFL Coaches Association, said that Moore and Mudd would have to sit out six months from the time they file retirement papers. That would mean the earliest they could be back would be November.

It is possible however, that Moore and Mudd could return before November in an unpaid consultants role until they are able to be added to the team's payroll. However, the Colts believe that the two former assistants can return as paid consultants by Aug. 1, the Star reported.

"The goal's going to be to get these guys back in training camp and get them ready for the year and have them play a serious role," Irsay told the newspaper.

The Colts turned the play-calling duties over to Clyde Christensen, the assistant head coach, and promoted Pete Metzelaars to offensive line coach.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

DBinAL
05-21-2009, 04:18 PM
It has to do with the funding of the pension plan. Nine teams opted out of the current supplemental retirement plan and switched to a 401K. Since many coaches have hopped around the league, some of these coaches weree worried that their retirement benefits would not be as financially rewarding if they continued coaching.

See article:

NEW YORK (AP) The executive director of the NFL coaches association is upset with the way the league has handled a change in assistant coaches' leaguewide pension plan.

The owners voted in March to make the pension, the 401K, and the current supplemental retirement plan non-mandatory for the clubs.

"We're most miffed that this happened with absolutely no advanced warning and that they were even discussing it," Larry Kennan told The Associated Press in a phone interview Sunday. "If you ask any of the owners, coaches are really important to them. But we weren't important enough to keep in the loop. Tell us four or five months ago that we're thinking about that."

The change in the pension led to the retirement of longtime Indianapolis Colts coaches last week Tom Moore, the only offensive coordinator Peyton Manning has had, and offensive line coach Howard Mudd.

"Howard and Tom are doing this strictly because of the pension," Kennan said, shooting down reports that the retirements were tied to other issues.

According to Kennan nine teams Arizona, Atlanta, Buffalo, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, New England, New Orleans, and San Francisco have opted out of the program. Others may do so over the next few years.

All NFL coaches have already signed their contracts for the upcoming season, so no immediate recourse was available to Moore and Mudd.

"Maybe had we known those nine teams had opted out we wouldn't have signed with one of them," Kennan said. "We felt really, really disrespected and betrayed."

There has been renewed talk of the coaches forming a union. The NFL has in the past threatened to fire all coaches who joined a union.

"That's generally what has been said at different times when we brought it up," Kennan said. "We don't have a lot of options.

"Having a pension is a big deal. A lot of coaches are in the NFL instead of college because of the wonderful pension we have. For them to change it dramatically without any advanced warning is wrong."

There has been speculation the league opted to change the pension plan requirements as an offshoot of the owners opting out of the collective bargaining agreement with the players. Several coaches believe it is part of the league's overall strategy for negotiating a new CBA.