PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison to skip White House visit.

SteelCrazy
05-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Harrison says if the President wants to meet the Steelers he should invite them when they don't win the SB. Harrison said if the Cardinals would have won they would have been there instead. He skipped the 2006 visit as well. Isn't that the point, to invite the SB winner? I love Harrison, but he seems to be a little weird.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19477962/detail.html)

SteelCrazy
05-16-2009, 01:43 AM
"If we have the opportunity to go to the White House, we are going to the White House," said Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett. That comment and Big Dan's relationship with Obama makes Harrison's decision look a little foolish.

Djfan
05-16-2009, 02:02 AM
I love his independent spirit.

You go Deebo!

Ozey74
05-16-2009, 08:09 AM
I agree with DJ. Harrison can get away with this and not look silly.

:tt2

steelcityrules!!
05-16-2009, 08:13 AM
lets face it, this is good for the country. Deebo unchained in the whitehouse could pose a serious national security threat.

he's better off staying at the training facility bench-pressing mid sized sedans.

Discipline of Steel
05-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Maybe he is republican leaning and doesnt like Obama? As long as he remains a disruptive force on the field, I couldn't care less if he goes there or not.

steelz09
05-16-2009, 09:21 AM
lets face it, this is good for the country. Deebo unchained in the whitehouse could pose a serious national security threat.

he's better off staying at the training facility bench-pressing mid sized sedans.

hahaha. Very true. I don't think the entire secret service is enough for Deebo

BradshawsHairdresser
05-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Put the President in at QB at a Steelers' scrimmage...James wants to meet him on the field.

True Fan
05-16-2009, 10:02 AM
looks as tho harrison is able to see thru the smoke and mirrors and doesn't want to waste his time on this lying sack-o-shi . good for him

Slapstick
05-16-2009, 10:12 AM
looks as tho harrison is able to see thru the smoke and mirrors and doesn't want to waste his time on this lying sack-o-shi . good for him

So, he skipped the 2006 visit for the same reason?

True Fan
05-16-2009, 10:21 AM

yup. nothing wrong with an individual that believes in something and isn't afraid to express it in a calm, non-violent manner.

frankthetank1
05-16-2009, 10:51 AM
[quote="True Fan":29bhc1ic]looks as tho harrison is able to see thru the smoke and mirrors and doesn't want to waste his time on this lying sack-o-shi . good for him

yup. nothing wrong with an individual that believes in something and isn't afraid to express it in a calm, non-violent manner.[/quote:29bhc1ic]

all presidents are lying sacks of crap. i dont mind this at all. who cares about meeting the president? i would rather meet james harrison anyways. good for him. its a free country, he has the choice of going or not

stlrz d
05-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Harrison says if the President wants to meet the Steelers he should invite them when they don't win the SB. Harrison said if the Cardinals would have won they would have been there instead. He skipped the 2006 visit as well. Isn't that the point, to invite the SB winner? I love Harrison, but he seems to be a little weird.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19477962/detail.html)

It does seem odd that he skipped the last visit too. Oh well, at least he's an equal opportunity offender.

Perhaps James' feelings about the White House are similar to my feelings about church...I avoid it like the plague because I don't feel comfortable there at all. Too much phony for me. If that's the case he should have come up with something better than "we're only invited because we won".

Duh...that's the way it's always been James.

stlrz d
05-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Maybe he is republican leaning and doesnt like Obama? As long as he remains a disruptive force on the field, I couldn't care less if he goes there or not.

He also didn't go in 2006 when Dubbya was in office.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-16-2009, 11:51 AM
This isn't about party politics. He declined Bush, now he declines Obama. Whatever, if he doesn't want to go let him stay home.

steelers43
05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
He's a whack job. Nothing he does surprises me. Good thing he can play football or he'd be in jail somewhere.

Discipline of Steel
05-16-2009, 01:59 PM
He's a whack job. Nothing he does surprises me. Good thing he can play football or he'd be in jail somewhere.

Blasphemer!!! :nono Careful, he may be reading this...

Djfan
05-16-2009, 04:37 PM
As long as the whack job is the result of his blitz or pass coverage, it's all good.

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 01:57 AM
I just saw the whole clip on his comments. He was trying to be funny.

He made the comments about AZ being invited if they had won, said maybe they can go several years from now if they're not winning, said they'd have several rings by then and at the end added, "really, it's not that big of a deal to me."

I suspect he probably felt the same way in 2006 when he didn't go...that it's just not that big of a deal to him.

Jigawatts
05-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I think Mr. Harrison has some kind of social anxiety disorder. James wants to go to the
white house, but the truth is, he can't. He masks his pain by lashing out and exhibiting
a bullheaded front. Happiness hurts for James. Fortunately, this is treatable. The only
medicine for this disease is destroying the quarterback. And Mr. Harrison is addicted
to his medicine.

Oviedo
05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
This isn't about party politics. He declined Bush, now he declines Obama. Whatever, if he doesn't want to go let him stay home.

:Agree

If he doesn't care to do a photo op with the president who cares. That is all it really is a photo op nothing more and nothing less. It a publicity stunt.

He is right though when he says that if they loss the prez would care less about meeting the Steelers.

I hate the whole idea of the government wasting time and money for sports teams visiting the White House.

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Harrison does not want to go to the White House, because he would be afraid that he would take over the joint like Terry Crews as President Camacho in Idiocracy.

http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/1181537162_idiocracy5.jpg

James respects the rule that you must be 35 years old to be President. Since he is only 31 now, he will wait until Obama's 4 year term is up before taking over the place when he is 35.

http://www.phawker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/idiocracy-2.jpg

costanza2k1
05-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah I have the same thoughts about him. One heck of a player but the man is missing a few IQ points.

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Here's the video so you can see for yourself he's trying to be funny, realizes it's falling flat so he then states the real reason.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2 ... visit.html (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-534/Video--Harrison-rejects-White-House-visit.html)

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Harrison didn't go in '06 when Buuuuuuuuush was still disgracing the office. :moon

Steel Life
05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Here's the video so you can see for yourself he's trying to be funny, realizes it's falling flat so he then states the real reason.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2 ... visit.html (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-534/Video--Harrison-rejects-White-House-visit.html)
D - I thought the same thing...people are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. This is not the first time he's tried to be glib & it just fell flat & some people are just like that...remember Ricky Williams?...or Leon Lett...or our own early Terry B? It's obvious he's not used to or comfortable with reporters - remember how uncooperative he was with the media at this year's Super Bowl or how his joke fell flat at his signing press conference?

But would I like for him to go out of respect to Rooney Sr. (who he admires) - yes. But do I think he's obligated or stupid for not going - absolutely not. But I do think less of anyone who bases their entire opinion of Harrison & his intelligence on this one episode.

Chachi
05-18-2009, 07:39 PM
If the team and the players are ok with him not going then I am fine with it.

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 08:06 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2msx870l]Here's the video so you can see for yourself he's trying to be funny, realizes it's falling flat so he then states the real reason.

D - I thought the same thing...people are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. This is not the first time he's tried to be glib & it just fell flat & some people are just like that...remember Ricky Williams?...or Leon Lett...or our own early Terry B? It's obvious he's not used to or comfortable with reporters - remember how uncooperative he was with the media at this year's Super Bowl or how his joke fell flat at his signing press conference?

But would I like for him to go out of respect to Rooney Sr. (who he admires) - yes. But do I think he's obligated or stupid for not going - absolutely not. But I do think less of anyone who bases their entire opinion of Harrison & his intelligence on this one episode.[/quote:2msx870l]

Ugh, and it's everywhere too. I saw it on Around The Horn, PTI and NFLN Total Access today. To a man, every person on every one of those shows has made a comment about the foolishness of the statement about AZ being invited had they won but not one mention of him saying he felt it just wasn't important for him to go or of his obviously failed attempt at humor.

To me it's a sad statement of how people are willing to render an incorrect judgment even when all the evidence available to them is right there and completely contradicts their opinions.

When I first heard it I was like :wft too but then I thought, "This has got to be James trying to be funny." Once I saw the full comment on video I knew that's what it was.

Mick'sTeam
05-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Perhaps Harrison is afraid that Obama will take his recent signing bonus that he worked so hard to earn and spread it out among everyone in the DC area?

stlrz d
05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Perhaps Harrison is afraid that Obama will take his recent signing bonus that he worked so hard to earn and spread it out among everyone in the DC area?

Same worry in '06 when he didn't go? Just curious.

SidSmythe
05-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Face it ... Harrison was excited about his new contract, til he saw how much O'bama takes out it.
:moon

proudpittsburgher
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
05-19-2009, 08:52 AM

Yeah I have the same thoughts about him. One heck of a player but the man is missing a few IQ points.

He isn't smart because he decides to exercise his right of free choice :?

Maybe he just isn't into publicity stunts and feels the President may have a few more important things he should be doing rather than "hang with the boys." I don't think that the Constitution outlines one of the President's duties as getting pictures taken with winning sports teams. Probably not high on the Founding Fathers priority list.

This is much ado about nothing.

SteelCzar76
05-19-2009, 09:21 AM
On one hand i respect Silverback's decision to stand firm regarding his disregard for the visit. I'm saying,...if he truthfully feels as though it's a waste of time and or unimportant,...then why should he cater to the "Dodo bird over the cliff" mentality and go along with something simply for the sake of pleasing others ?

But then again,...i feel that when the highest office (in theory) in the entire world (let alone the 'free' world) invites you for a visit, you should accept as matter of respect and or duty. (No matter whom is currently serving as 'figurehead'.)

"You'd be doing it for Honor and Duty James,.....not dishonoring yourself by following Lemmings"

snarky
05-19-2009, 10:05 AM
^^^^
I disagree with this. If the president asks a person for help or counsel as it relates to the execution of his actual job, a good citizen would provide that help and/or counsel.

On the other hand, nobody should feel compelled to participate in a photo-op.

I forget if it was Reagan or Carter that started this tradition but I think it's pretty stupid.

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
^^^^
I disagree with this. If the president asks a person for help or counsel as it relates to the execution of his actual job, a good citizen would provide that help and/or counsel.

I forget if it was Reagan or Carter that started this tradition but I think it's pretty stupid.

I did some googling and found that it goes way back. I couldn't find anything that stated who officially started it or anything like that, but a news article about Reagan's passing that stated teams (baseball) have been invited to the White House as far back as the presidencies of Andrew Jackson and Ulysses S. Grant.

Perhaps Carter or Reagan made some kind of "official declaration" or something like that?

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2009, 12:07 PM
^^^^

I did some googling and found that it goes way back. I couldn't find anything that stated who officially started it or anything like that, but a news article about Reagan's passing that stated teams (baseball) have been invited to the White House as far back as the presidencies of Andrew Jackson and Ulysses S. Grant.

Perhaps Carter or Reagan made some kind of "official declaration" or something like that?

Andrew Jackson was President in the 1830's :?: :!: :?: :!:

stlrz d
05-19-2009, 12:59 PM
^^^^

Andrew Jackson was President in the 1830's :?: :!: :?: :!:

Whoops...was supposed to be Andrew Johnson. :oops:

Guess I got my mind on my money and my money on my mind. Wait...I don't have any money! :(

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I may not have as many Benjamins as I would like...

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/FS30107/web/Austin/p1_files/50578849.JPG

...but I still have a few Jacksons left in my wallet!

http://hauserhistory.com/blogs/files/2009/02/20-bill.jpg

SteelBucks
05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Here's an update from Bouchette on this "non-story".......I like the last sentence.

Fear of flying why Steelers' Harrison will skip White House visit
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers linebacker James Harrison gave little reason for not wanting to join his teammates for their visit to the White House Thursday.

A well-placed source, however, later revealed the real reason for Harrison's reluctance to make the trip: He has a fear of flying and is a "wreck" whenever he must take team flights.

"Let me ask you a question," Harrison asked reporters who greeted him coming off the practice field today. "Why is it a big issue now that I'm not going if it wasn't a big issue the last time?"

Harrison, a backup linebacker for the Steelers when they won Super Bowl XL, did not join his teammates three years ago when they visited the White House of President George Bush.

However, his profile changed in four years. He was the NFL defensive player of the year and his 100-yard touchdown with an interception in Super Bowl XLIII was the longest play in Super Bowl history.

"Hey, James ain't changed," Harrison responded. "I guess my profile did but I didn't change. I'm not going because I don't want to go."

He added, seemingly in a joking manner, that the White House is not in the safest area of Washington, D.C.

"It's not a good neighborhood over there either," Harrison said. "It's a bad neighborhood."

Harrison said he was surprised at the reaction to his declining an offer to visit the White House.

"They're making a big deal out of this: 'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'"

He said he will remain in Pittsburgh Thursday to "work out, run, get ready."

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
From ESPN.com's Page 2:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0519/pg2_nope_300.jpg

feltdizz
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm late to the convo but Harrison is an idiot off the field. I love him on the field but off of the playing field Harrison is the typical dumb jock. Now I read he is scared to fly? DC is 4.5 hours away by car...

I'm not a W fan but I was PO'ed when Joey opened his mouth in 2005. Just go and do the photo opt and keep it moving. Harrison is animal on the field but he seems to be an animal off the field as well. Dude needs to shut up when they put a mic in front of him.

He reminds me of Mike Tyson.. you just never know what Harrison is going to say... the "real reason" is more pathetic then the wack azz joke he attempted.

pfelix73
05-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Big deal. If he doesn't want to go, so be it- last time I checked, it was a free country...........

:tt1

frankthetank1
05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm late to the convo but Harrison is an idiot off the field. I love him on the field but off of the playing field Harrison is the typical dumb jock. Now I read he is scared to fly? DC is 4.5 hours away by car...

I'm not a W fan but I was PO'ed when Joey opened his mouth in 2005. Just go and do the photo opt and keep it moving. Harrison is animal on the field but he seems to be an animal off the field as well. Dude needs to shut up when they put a mic in front of him.

He reminds me of Mike Tyson.. you just never know what Harrison is going to say... the "real reason" is more pathetic then the wack azz joke he attempted.

that is one of the things i love about harrison. you never know what he is going to say. i dont see why its a big deal. if i was him i wouldnt want to meet the pres either regardless of who the president is. what did porter say? i forget, im sure it was dumb though. if harrison didnt go in 2006 and then went this year i would have a problem with that. at least he is consistent

feltdizz
05-20-2009, 11:48 AM

that is one of the things i love about harrison. you never know what he is going to say. i dont see why its a big deal. if i was him i wouldnt want to meet the pres either regardless of who the president is. what did porter say? i forget, im sure it was dumb though. if harrison didnt go in 2006 and then went this year i would have a problem with that. at least he is consistent

I have no problem with him not going.... but the reasons given are beyond stupid...

"if we lost we wouldn't go to the WH.." well no tihs sherlock...

and who was Harrison in 2005? any back up who didn't go wouldn't be missed. I love Harrison on the field but off it...keep him away from the mic.

stlrz d
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM

I have no problem with him not going.... but the reasons given are beyond stupid...

"if we lost we wouldn't go to the WH.." well no tihs sherlock...

and who was Harrison in 2005? any back up who didn't go wouldn't be missed. I love Harrison on the field but off it...keep him away from the mic.

Dude, he was joking. ;)

feltdizz
05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
In my opinion it was the worst execution of a joke I have ever heard strlz D...

I'm a big Harrison fan too.. I just think he is the worst when a mic is in front of him. Please keep him away from the mic.

stlrz d
05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
In my opinion it was the worst execution of a joke I have ever heard strlz D...

I'm a big Harrison fan too.. I just think he is the worst when a mic is in front of him. Please keep him away from the mic.

I didn't say it was a good joke...just that it was a joke. Based on your posts I wasn't so sure you knew he was joking.

birtikidis
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
i think this whole thing was blown way out of proportion. who cares if he wants to go or doesn't want to go. let him keep his chip on his shoulder and as long as reporters want to focus on non football stuff let him have fun with it. i think that was Harrisons whole point. ask me about football not the other crap.