PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Stlrzd

Djfan
05-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I made it on. Don't know what's happening.

We miss you.

costanza2k1
05-11-2009, 11:11 PM
DJ you had problems loggin on?

NKySteeler
05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
DJ you had problems loggin on?

I actually had issues getting on here earlier this evening.... Don't know if this is what you all are talking about... But it's been very few and far between... Only every so often... But then again, I "lurk" more than post nowadays...

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
For whatever reason, I can log on at work without fail, I can log on via my cell phone (Palm Treo) without fail, but I have not been able to log on from my PC at home (or any of our laptops that are connected to the internet via the same wireless router I have in the home office). It is not even recognizing the site when I try to get on at home. I'm going to call Comcast about it tonight (since I use Comcast internet at home, but not at work or via the mobile), because something strange is afoot here.

papillon
05-12-2009, 11:43 AM
For whatever reason, I can log on at work without fail, I can log on via my cell phone (Palm Treo) without fail, but I have not been able to log on from my PC at home (or any of our laptops that are connected to the internet via the same wireless router I have in the home office). It is not even recognizing the site when I try to get on at home. I'm going to call Comcast about it tonight (since I use Comcast internet at home, but not at work or via the mobile), because something strange is afoot here.

I can't get on from home either. I just haven't had time to investigate the casue. This started about 3 or 4 days ago or something like that.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM

I can't get on from home either. I just haven't had time to investigate the casue. This started about 3 or 4 days ago or something like that.

Pappy

I thought I was the only one because no one was complaining about it on here (and I was able to get it on my phone and at work without a problem). Do you use Comcast as your internet service provider at home, Pap?

papillon
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM

Pappy

I thought I was the only one because no one was complaining about it on here (and I was able to get it on my phone and at work without a problem). Do you use Comcast as your internet service provider at home, Pap?

I do use Comcast as our ISP. I don't have any issues connecting to other forums that I peruse on occasion. It is only Planetsteelers.com at this point. I started checking to see if I inadvertently blocked it at the firewall, router or via the browser and that isn't the case. That's as far as I've gone with the process. I was hoping it would work itself out.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Pappy

I do use Comcast as our ISP. I don't have any issues connecting to other forums that I peruse on occasion. It is only Planetsteelers.com at this point. I started checking to see if I inadvertently blocked it at the firewall, router or via the browser and that isn't the case. That's as far as I've gone with the process. I was hoping it would work itself out.

Pappy

I highly doubt it is something you did, since the same thing happened to me at the same time late last week, and it has yet to be restored at my house. I'm calling Comcast tonight to get this worked out, hopefully. I will let you know what I find out.

snarky
05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Welcome to a world without net neutrality, perhaps?

papillon
05-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Pappy

Pappy

I highly doubt it is something you did, since the same thing happened to me at the same time late last week, and it has yet to be restored at my house. I'm calling Comcast tonight to get this worked out, hopefully. I will let you know what I find out.

Okay, let me know what you find out. If I get time I may give a call as well.

Pappy

Djfan
05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I have been e-mailing D. He cant get on. He keeps getting this page:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/hughpam/dennislogin.jpg

He has no problems with anything else. Here is his e-mail to me:

It's what I see every time I refresh the page. I've restarted my browser several times, I've restarted my computer several times, I've cleared all cookies, cleared the cache, etc...but nothing works. Below is the picture of what you would be posting, if you choose to. If anyone asks, it started Thursday evening and has continued ever since. I have NO trouble with any other websites I go to. Just this one.

E-mail me if you want his contact e-mail to help. hugh (at) anewsong.com

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I have been e-mailing D. He cant get on. He keeps getting this page:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/hughpam/dennislogin.jpg

He has no problems with anything else. Here is his e-mail to me:

It's what I see every time I refresh the page. I've restarted my browser several times, I've restarted my computer several times, I've cleared all cookies, cleared the cache, etc...but nothing works. Below is the picture of what you would be posting, if you choose to. If anyone asks, it started Thursday evening and has continued ever since. I have NO trouble with any other websites I go to. Just this one.

E-mail me if you want his contact e-mail to help. hugh (at) anewsong.com

Does he also use Comcast for his ISP at home? Because Thursday is when it stopped working for me at home as well.

DukieBoy
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I have not been able to access the site from home for at least a week.
I am at work, where I get through.
My internet provider worked with me last night. After going through some steps to assess the problem, he said it is likely a server along the path between home and the site that is poorly functioning and causing the problem.

Djfan
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
D gets on every site at home but here.

DukieBoy
05-12-2009, 03:15 PM
This site is the only site I am having problems accessing from home, too.
Everything else works per normal.

papillon
05-12-2009, 03:59 PM
This site is the only site I am having problems accessing from home, too.
Everything else works per normal.

Ditto

Pappy

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey everyone...I'm over at my mom's and decided to try and access the site from her computer and there are no problems.

This leads me to kind of a crazy theory...the last thing I did before I was unable to access the site was report a spammer that had posted something in every forum. That was Thursday evening. Reading through this thread it seems that everyone's issue is with accessing the site from home and everyone points to Thursday night as being the starting point. Coincidence? If it is it seems like kind of a big one to me.

Oh, and I use Road Runner for my high speed internet. There is no Comcast in Green Bay...only Time Warner Cable.

I'll have to bring my laptop over here and see if I can access the site from my laptop at this location. Or I can go to the library once I get home and try their wireless. They're only a few blocks away from my house.

It seems really odd to me though that a spammer hit every forum Thursday night and that's when the trouble seems to have started.

NKySteeler
05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
The one thing about this site is that it has a "top-notch" admin and mods... If they can find a speedy solution, this group will....

... I've really not had too much of a problem, but I don't have Comcast, and as said, I'm not on here regularily...

Glad you found a way to get on here, D............ :wink:

costanza2k1
05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Ok here's the deal, I work from home, have Comcast and have been dead in the water for the past 4 days. I email J and he called into the ISP and sure enough they had my Comcast IP blocked in the firewall for some odd reason. I imagine this is an administrative change on the ISP's part that went really bad. I'll pass this on to J and see what he can find. For the first day I thought the whole site was down (I guess you get looney when you never leave home and work out of the office for 18hrs/day).

I'll let you all know what I find out. I just got back in yesterday morning from home. Up until then I was using what most of our users who think they need aliases were using, an IP masker.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Ok here's the deal, I work from home, have Comcast and have been dead in the water for the past 4 days. I email J and he called into the ISP and sure enough they had my Comcast IP blocked in the firewall for some odd reason. I imagine this is an administrative change on the ISP's part that went really bad. I'll pass this on to J and see what he can find. For the first day I thought the whole site was down (I guess you get looney when you never leave home and work out of the office for 18hrs/day).

I'll let you all know what I find out. I just got back in yesterday morning from home. Up until then I was using what most of our users who think they need aliases were using, an IP masker.

Hey, is that like one of those rubber masks with the red ball that goes in your mouth, like the gimp in Pulp Fiction? Well, if you're going to admit to using one, heck, I will too, I think they're very exciting!! :D

Oh, uhmm, you mean like a computer thing, uhmm, well, yeah, I meant that too, what else would I mean. :oops:

:wink:

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm at the library accessing from my laptop and have ZERO issues with getting on the site, posting, etc.

Stanz, it's gotta have something to do with what you posted.

Djfan
05-12-2009, 07:30 PM
OK then, here is a wrench in all of this. At home I have Verizon cable access on a wireless router. On the road I have Sprint air card service. I have been kicked off a few times (since Thursday) at home - on Verizon - but not on the road. I was always able to get right back on, but it did happen.

Comcast isn't involved here at all.

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Ok, this is the strangest thing. I am on with Road Runner tech support right now. She had me connect (hard wired) directly to the HS internet modem. At first it didn't make a connection to this site but now it does. I went back to wireless through my router (yes, I made sure to take the Cat5 cable out of my laptop and plug it into the router) and it doesn't connect that way.

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Now I'm on the phone with Linksys tech support. This woman is saying something about a port being closed and having to get the port number from the system administrator so it can be opened up in the router.

Wha? Huh?

I mean I understand what some of that means but I don't understand why this is happening. Did something change with the website on Thursday night that is causing this issue?????

Costanza? Jhans? Bueller?

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Just got done with Linksys. She told me the only thing I can do is get the website port numbers from the system administrator. Once I have that info I have to call them back so they can go into my router settings and open up those ports. Otherwise, the only way I can access this site is to come in the computer room and run the network cable directly from my modem to my laptop.

Costanza, did you ever get an answer as to whether or not something happened to block our IPs on their end?

This is really frustrating!

grotonsteel
05-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't think this is a ComCast issue. I am using Comcast and i can login without issues from home.

costanza2k1
05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Until John (admin/owner) figures out what's up with the ISP, everyone who's having problems can go here for now to get it to work. http://ipmask.org.

Enjoy.

costanza2k1
05-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think this is a ComCast issue. I am using Comcast and i can login without issues from home.

It's not a comcast issue it's the ISP's Firewall blocking certain comcast IP addresses.

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I use a Linksys router at home as well. Maybe the Linksys is the problem (and not Comcast). Does everyone else that has been having this problem use a Linksys router at home? (Man, this sucks typing with my thumbs on the d@mn phone. How does my wife stay sane texting on her phone constantly? It is driving me nuts!)

steelz09
05-12-2009, 09:13 PM
All,

I am looking into this issue. As constanza has said, he was blocked for several days. We communicated via email to get the problem resolved. The cause of the block was that his IP was blocked automatically by the server that hosts this website.

The server admins removed his IP from the blocked list and it worked fine. I'm guess (again, just guessing) that all of these problems are stemming from the same issue.

Please be patient as we hope to have this issue resolved asap. These server admins are typically very good and prompt with their responses. As const point out, they may were doing maintenance on their servers and something happened that negatively impacted this site.

I will keep you all posted on the status of this issue.

Thank you,

J

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Until John (admin/owner) figures out what's up with the ISP, everyone who's having problems can go here for now to get it to work. http://ipmask.org.

Enjoy.

I went onto ipmask.org like cos2k1 suggested, and now I can type on a big boy keyboard again instead of a my tiny phone! Woo hoo! Thanks, man!

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM

It's not a comcast issue it's the ISP's Firewall blocking certain comcast IP addresses.

I use Road Runner. No Comcast in Green Bay.

steelz09
05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Ok --- Does anyone know the IP's of the machines in which they can NOT access this site?

costanza2k1
05-12-2009, 09:35 PM

I use Road Runner. No Comcast in Green Bay.

I'll send your IPs over to John as well.

steelz09
05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I looked up stlrz d Ip through the forum but that won't work because that IP is when you were able post.

steelz09
05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Can we start a list of users that are experience this issue:

This will allow me to report the IP's that seem to be blocked to the ISP so that they can unban accounts.

In addition, they'll be able to look at logs to diagnose the underlying problem.

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 09:44 PM
jhans - I just PM'd you my IP.

I hope that resolves it. I'm using the ipmask.org site to access and it works but it looks weird AND the huge ass sig images that I had ad blocked show up. :(

stlrz d
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Whooo hooooo!

Like an opposing D lineman I'm unblocked! :lol:

Thanks everyone!

But one thing I've noticed already...now the site seems to run a bit slower. Weird.

But I'm glad to be back and unblocked...now if only I could catch that darn elusive QB! :P

steelz09
05-12-2009, 09:55 PM
stlrz d,

You should be good to go now.

For the record, my ISP is saying that these are being blocked by the APF Firewall. According to them, this occurs automatically as a security precaution. For example, blocks occur if the IP is detected as failed login attempts to the server (i.e. not the forum), brute force attacks (i.e. hacking attempts), etc.

I assured them that I don't believe this to be the case. I asked them to look into their firewall for possible defects. In the meantime, I can give them IP's for them to remove from their blocked list individually. This works, but I would rather like to learn the underlying issue.

Djfan
05-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks J! Impressive as always!

fordfixer
05-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I use a Linksys router at home as well. Maybe the Linksys is the problem (and not Comcast). Does everyone else that has been having this problem use a Linksys router at home? (Man, this sucks typing with my thumbs on the d@mn phone. How does my wife stay sane texting on her phone constantly? It is driving me nuts!)
Thats a short trip :lol:

DukieBoy
05-14-2009, 07:08 AM
It's back !!! It's a great day already !

Djfan
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I was kicked off twice today already. I am logged in, but change pages (go back to index mostly) and I have to log back in.

eniparadoxgma
05-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Waddup people. I also have been blocked for about a week. However, I seem to be back.

Another strange thing is that I started having issues at thesteelersforum.com simultaneously. Anyone else have that problem?

Thanks.

papillon
05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Waddup people. I also have been blocked for about a week. However, I seem to be back.

Another strange thing is that I started having issues at thesteelersforum.com simultaneously. Anyone else have that problem?

Thanks.

I was having the problem here, but not thesteelersforum.com Hopefully, you've been unblocked at both locations.

Pappy

eniparadoxgma
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Thanks.

I was having the problem here, but not thesteelersforum.com Hopefully, you've been unblocked at both locations.

Pappy

Finally got unblocked here. (Thanks J). And for some reason I'm fine at thesteelersforum too.

Hell if I know.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2