PDA

View Full Version : Schein is surly...

anger 82&95
05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9539 ... ke-rookies (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9539876/Schein's-Nine:-Rookies-who-can't-play-like-rookies)

about the Steeler's 1st pick:

“This pick underwhelmed me. And when I talk about pressure, it's about Hood playing well for Pittsburgh and whom the Steelers passed up to take the Missouri tackle.
Perhaps, the Steelers fell in love with their own offensive line based upon how they played in the playoffs instead of looking at the season in total. I would have picked an offensive lineman, like Max Unger, Eben Britton or Phil Loadholt. It was too logical. I would have also considered Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis to replace Larry Foote, whom was cut by the Steelers this week. Laurinaitis thought Pittsburgh would pluck him. There also were cornerbacks available that I thought were better pro prospects than Hood.
Some scouts questioned his consistency and his motor. Others wondered if he was actually the third-best defensive tackle (B.J. Raji and Peria Jerry went off the board first) in the draft and deserved to be picked in the first round. I would have rated him the fifth-best defensive tackle and considered "Ziggy" a second-round pick
Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert told us at the combine in February that he would draft a Day One defensive lineman only if he was convinced he could play right away. I am not convinced. It's rare that Pittsburgh makes mistakes. This is one to follow, especially if the offensive line plays like it did during the regular season. But I am betting on some regret with this pick.”

MeetJoeGreene
05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Please don't do this to me.

I was not thrilled with the draft to begin with.

I had just started coming to grips w/ it.

Now the negative articles start to appear.

And the hater voices in my head begin again.

Oviedo
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
So everyone is now going to get upset because this moron has an "opinion." So now we trust a freakin never have played, never could have played, wanna be, talking head in the media more than our front office who have put together a team that won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I just don't get how quickly panic, fear and doubt can be stimulated.

Newsflash: The media doesn't like the Steelers and underestimates and second guesses everything they do. That is why it is so enjoyable to watch them squirm as we continue to be successful.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert told us at the combine in February that he would draft a Day One defensive lineman only if he was convinced he could play right away.

It's called a smokescreen. Front offices use the media during the pre-draft period in an effort to throw other teams off their scent. Deal with it. Everyone who knows anything about LeBeau's 3-4 scheme knows that no rookie, no matter how good he is, is going to be able to play DE in his 3-4 right away, because it is a huge adjustment for any college player. That does not mean Hood will be a bust if he doesn't play much as a rookie (even if the media and message board experts declare it so...they said the same thing after Polamalu's rookie year). This was a draft pick made with 2010 in mind, when two-thirds of their current d-line will have expiring contracts.

Oviedo
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert told us at the combine in February that he would draft a Day One defensive lineman only if he was convinced he could play right away.

It's called a smokescreen. Front offices use the media during the pre-draft period in an effort to throw other teams off their scent. Deal with it. Everyone who knows anything about LeBeau's 3-4 scheme knows that no rookie, no matter how good he is, is going to be able to play DE in his 3-4 right away, because it is a huge adjustment for any college player. That does not mean Hood will be a bust if he doesn't play much as a rookie (even if the media and message board experts declare it so...they said the same thing after Polamalu's rookie year). This was a draft pick made with 2010 in mind, when two-thirds of their current d-line will have expiring contracts.

Thank you. Rational and knowledgeable thought is always appreciated. Hysteria is not.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Whatever.....all of these guys are supposed to bring an opinion and that is all it is...one guy's opinion.

Just like each of these guys came out with a mock draft, and in March most had us picking Duke Robinson. Instead Duke went at pick #163.

The biggest objection that I had was this:

Some scouts questioned his consistency and his motor.

This is exactly opposite of everything that I'd read about him.

True Fan
05-08-2009, 03:36 PM
So everyone is now going to get upset because this moron has an "opinion." So now we trust a freakin never have played, never could have played, wanna be, talking head in the media more than our front office who have put together a team that won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

Newsflash: The media doesn't like the Steelers and underestimates and second guesses everything they do. That is why it is so enjoyable to watch them squirm as we continue to be successful.

BUT, If this guy would have said 'It was a great pick' he would no longer be a moron. He would be taughted as a highly intelligent football expert.

Slapstick
05-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Schein may not like the pick, but he's pretty much in the minority among "draft experts"...

steelernation77
05-08-2009, 05:01 PM
This guy is a joke. Hood's motor was listed as his best attribute by just about every draft analyst. I trust this guy from Fox Sports about as much as I trust a broadcaster from Fox News.

frankthetank1
05-08-2009, 05:47 PM

BUT, If this guy would have said 'It was a great pick' he would no longer be a moron. He would be taughted as a highly intelligent football expert.

no he wouldnt because he said laurenitis would have been a better pick. that would have been a reach imo and rey m was still on the board. imo he will have a lot more success in the nfl than laurenitis will

steelcityrules!!
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Whatever.....all of these guys are supposed to bring an opinion and that is all it is...one guy's opinion.

Just like each of these guys came out with a mock draft, and in March most had us picking Duke Robinson. Instead Duke went at pick #163.

The biggest objection that I had was this:

Some scouts questioned his consistency and his motor.

This is exactly opposite of everything that I'd read about him.

yup.

disqualifies this diatribe from the get-go.
This years steelers draft is full of high-motor, high-character, high-intelligence guys...
not the flashy combine guys.

someone is bored.

SteelCzar76
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Exactly. You know how it goes,....everyone that we draft and every decision the organization, FO, and head Coach makes is infallible and to disagree with as much instantly makes you a "heretic" or an idiot or some other tired 80's sitcom diss that is still used by a specific demographic of Steeler Nation. :lol:

Chavezz
05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Chicken Littles,

All you need to know about this guy and his knowledge regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers is that he thinks we should have drafted Laurenitis to replace Larry Foote.

Two words, Lawrence Timmons. Why in the world would you draft a middle linebacker to replace Larry Foote when you have LT bottled up on the side lines?

LT is going to neck and neck with Wood to be the 2nd best backer on this team by the end of the year. I'm a HUGE Wood fan but LT is going to be great as a starter.

Jooser
05-08-2009, 07:10 PM
These 'experts' never sing praises for our draft strategy in the spring. We always get the B- ranking or C. Not too flashy, not worthy of praise. But, it'll be a different song again next winter after we've splashed deep into the playoffs, yet again. Then, it'll be: "The Pittsburgh Steelers do things their way, and they are always successful. Why don't other teams take the same approach as the Pittsburgh Steelers?" This spring 'hoopla' is just a waste of my time. The moves they praise on draft day mean squat when those flashy, over-paid picks are sitting at home watching us play for another title.

and that's all I have to say about that.... 8)

MaxAMillion
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Nope, he didn't get the weaknesses correct which means he doesn't really know the player. If he had said that there were questions about Hood playing the run, that would be legitimate. If he said that Hood doesn't project as a 3-4 DL then that would have been a legitimate question, but no one question Hood's motor. His motor is probably the one thing that scouts pointed to in Hood's favor.

It is hard to take an opinion seriously when it appears to be illinformed.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Every article I see from that guy either picks some other team over the steelers, some other player over one of the steelers players, some other coach over the steelers coach......this guy hates the steelers, plain and simple. Who cares what he says about our draft pick.

steelcityrules!!
05-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Exactly. You know how it goes,....everyone that we draft and every decision the organization, FO, and head Coach makes is infallible and to disagree with as much instantly makes you a "heretic" or an idiot or some other tired 80's sitcom diss that is still used by a specific demographic of Steeler Nation. :lol:

you sir, miss the point.
the FO isn't infallible, but they certainly have an outstanding track record in round 1 as of late. On top of that, as many knowledgeable posters have already mentioned, this twit can't even get the pro's-con's on our first round selection correct.
Ziggy hood is all motor, according to every single scouting report I've read on him, and this douche arbitrarily says the opposite because he likes laurinitis?

it's not lemming issue, it's a simple facts and observational skills issue.

SteelCzar76
05-09-2009, 07:22 PM
[quote=Oviedo]So everyone is now going to get upset because this moron has an "opinion." So now we trust a freakin never have played, never could have played, wanna be, talking head in the media more than our front office who have put together a team that won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

you sir, miss the point.
the FO isn't infallible, but they certainly have an outstanding track record in round 1 as of late. On top of that, as many knowledgeable posters have already mentioned, this twit can't even get the pro's-con's on our first round selection correct.
Ziggy hood is all motor, according to every single scouting report I've read on him, and this douche arbitrarily says the opposite because he likes laurinitis?

it's not lemming issue, it's a simple facts and observational skills issue.[/quote:2irppe12]

In actuality SteelCity i've never considered you part of the "lemming" demographic. Any more than i think this author is a 'Douche' because he like many does not comprehend the validity of selecting an average pure 3 tech DT in the first round of the draft when you are a 3-4 team and were aware that you also could have used help at ILB (because of age and lack of experience, depth and measurables at the position),.... and the best two (inside backers) of their class were on the board.

Slapstick
05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
In actuality SteelCity i've never considered you part of the "lemming" demographic. Any more than i think this author is a 'Douche' because he like many does not comprehend the validity of selecting an average pure 3 tech DT in the first round of the draft when you are a 3-4 team and were aware that you also could have used help at ILB (because of age and lack of experience, depth and measurables at the position),.... and the best two (inside backers) of their class were on the board.

And that's where value comes in...

Hood was a better value than either ILB on the board...and it isn't as though DL was any less of a need...

And that's coming from a Buckeye fan who would have loved to see Laurinaitis in a black helmet...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-10-2009, 12:20 PM

And that's where value comes in...

Hood was a better value than either ILB on the board...and it isn't as though DL was any less of a need...

And that's coming from a Buckeye fan who would have loved to see Laurinaitis in a black helmet...

We also have to consider the fact that the Steelers get to go much further in their evaluation than we do.

They go watch these guys work out at their pro days. They bring them to Pittsburgh. They interview them with a very specific focus behind each question. Every step, every word is analyzed.

After doing all of that, they decided that between Rey M, Laurinitis, and Hood, that Ziggy was the choice. Whether or not anyone agrees with it, nobody put greater evaluation into the decision than the team did.

Discipline of Steel
05-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Back to the main topic...I just dont see how the author can call Hood the #1 rookie under pressure to succeed! Arent there a lot of other crappy teams who will be relying on their rookie more than the Steelers? Rookie QBs to run downtrodden offenses? Rookie WR out in oakland? Hood will simply be put into a rotation with proven vets. To me, the article is a hack job.

Oviedo
05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Back to the main topic...I just dont see how the author can call Hood the #1 rookie under pressure to succeed! Arent there a lot of other crappy teams who will be relying on their rookie more than the Steelers? Rookie QBs to run downtrodden offenses? Rookie WR out in oakland? Hood will simply be put into a rotation with proven vets. To me, the article is a hack job.

That's the point that was being made. The article is factually incorrect and his assertions are contrary to everything that has been written about Hood. He clearly does not understand the Steelers' draft strategies about building for the future versus seeking immediate gratification with picks because it is unlikely any pick learns the complex LeBeau defense before mid season at the earliest.

This was written to criticize the reigning Super Bowl champs pure and simple because that is more of an attention getter than writing about how bad the Raiders, Rams, Chiefs or Lions pick.

Northern_Blitz
05-11-2009, 10:15 AM

That's the point that was being made. The article is factually incorrect and his assertions are contrary to everything that has been written about Hood. He clearly does not understand the Steelers' draft strategies about building for the future versus seeking immediate gratification with picks because it is unlikely any pick learns the complex LeBeau defense before mid season at the earliest.

This was written to criticize the reigning Super Bowl champs pure and simple because that is more of an attention getter than writing about how bad the Raiders, Rams, Chiefs or Lions pick.

It may also be his position because the coaches have already said that Hood won't start. Other rookies will start (because they are on worse teams). Other rookies will have better stats than Hood next year. The writer can then point to this article and say Hood didn't live up the expectations of a 1st round pick.

It's just like those posters here who consistantly call our rooks busts because they don't play early in their careers. Our rooks rarely contribute in year 1. The FO tries to set it up so we don't need to depend on rookies.

SteelCzar76
05-11-2009, 12:00 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1ayr1rtu]Back to the main topic...I just dont see how the author can call Hood the #1 rookie under pressure to succeed! Arent there a lot of other crappy teams who will be relying on their rookie more than the Steelers? Rookie QBs to run downtrodden offenses? Rookie WR out in oakland? Hood will simply be put into a rotation with proven vets. To me, the article is a hack job.

It may also be his position because the coaches have already said that Hood won't start. Other rookies will start (because they are on worse teams). Other rookies will have better stats than Hood next year. The writer can then point to this article and say Hood didn't live up the expectations of a 1st round pick.

It's just like those posters here who consistantly call our rooks busts because they don't play early in their careers. Our rooks rarely contribute in year 1. The FO tries to set it up so we don't need to depend on rookies.[/quote:1ayr1rtu]

So,...correct me if i'm wrong,..but what you and others are attempting to imply is that all of the other players on our roster are in the same class as Hamp, Troy, Hines, Aaron, Wood, Tone, Farrior,and Silverback, (as opposed to the REALITY of them being average overacheivers at best) and cannot and or could not be supplanted by rookies or young players whom were ACTUALLY elite talents ?!!! :lol: :lol:

No one wants to face it,..but the FACT of the matter is,...these recent groups of players brought in aren't on the sidelines or failing to produce at elite levels because we are "just soooo f@cking loaded" in terms of personnel. It's because they are "ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or mediocre players.

There is no such thing as "red shirting" in professional football,...you are what you are. Hopefully if that is not much,..hard work can lead to more. But for the most part,...truly exceptional talent cannot be kept on the sidelines,..no team in the league is that good at every position.

Bottom line,...."Keep bringing in Grits as steak goes out of the door,..and eventually all your left with is a bland hot mess. :lol:

feltdizz
05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Hood has little pressure... sure he needs to show up and do well but it's not like we need him to start anytime soon.

This is the difference between winners and losers. Most teams demand their 1st rounder have an immediate impact on the team. They cut guys and hand the spot to the rookie...

Steelers are smarter then that... Especially since our DT's drop into coverage in our 3-4 at times...

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
No one is implying that there are other players on our roster who are in the same class as Hampton, Polamalu, Ward, Smith, Woodley, Holmes, Farrior, and Harrison. Of those 8 players, 6 of them have been to the Pro Bowl. Although Woodley and Holmes have not been to the Pro Bowl yet, Woodley has 2 sacks in all 4 playoff games he has played in and Holmes has a touchdown in all 4 playoff games he has played in. There are a couple of Super Bowl MVP's and an NFL defensive player of the year among that group. No one is arguing that there are better players just languishing behind these stars. We do tend to think, however, that Lawrence Timmons is a better overall player than Larry Foote, who was not a Pro Bowler, Super Bowl MVP, or NFL defensive player of the year.

Oviedo
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
No one is implying that there are other players on our roster who are in the same class as Hampton, Polamalu, Ward, Smith, Woodley, Holmes, Farrior, and Harrison. Of those 8 players, 6 of them have been to the Pro Bowl. Although Woodley and Holmes have not been to the Pro Bowl yet, Woodley has 2 sacks in all 4 playoff games he has played in and Holmes has a touchdown in all 4 playoff games he has played in. There are a couple of Super Bowl MVP's and an NFL defensive player of the year among that group. No one is arguing that there are better players just languishing behind these stars. We do tend to think, however, that Lawrence Timmons is a better overall player than Larry Foote, who was not a Pro Bowler, Super Bowl MVP, or NFL defensive player of the year.

In other words like every other team the Steelers do not have "stars" sitiiing on the bench behind starters. No team does. The salary cap and draft structure of the NFL that punishes success almost guarantees a drop off between starters and back ups to achieve the desired level of competitive parity.

What is impressive is the Steelers have done a significantly better job "beating the system" and have had a more sustained run of success than other teams operating in the same system. That credit goes to players, coaches and the front office although many refuse to recognize it.

SteelCzar76
05-11-2009, 12:37 PM

You may have missed my point Ruthless. Which was,...there are no better players languishing behind any of the other players outside of the aforementioned elite players. Just a roster full of average carbon copies of the other already average and or career overacheiving starters.

And though Foote was/is no different than the latter,..neither is Timmons IMO especially in terms of playing the ILB position in a 3-4.

Slapstick
05-11-2009, 03:22 PM
So,...correct me if i'm wrong,..but what you and others are attempting to imply is that all of the other players on our roster are in the same class as Hamp, Troy, Hines, Aaron, Wood, Tone, Farrior,and Silverback, (as opposed to the REALITY of them being average overacheivers at best) and cannot and or could not be supplanted by rookies or young players whom were ACTUALLY elite talents ?!!! :lol: :lol:

No one wants to face it,..but the FACT of the matter is,...these recent groups of players brought in aren't on the sidelines or failing to produce at elite levels because we are "just soooo f@cking loaded" in terms of personnel. It's because they are "ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or mediocre players.

There is no such thing as "red shirting" in professional football,...you are what you are. Hopefully if that is not much,..hard work can lead to more. But for the most part,...truly exceptional talent cannot be kept on the sidelines,..no team in the league is that good at every position.

Bottom line,...."Keep bringing in Grits as steak goes out of the door,..and eventually all your left with is a bland hot mess. :lol:

That's funny...I just read a "bland hot mess"... :lol:

Your USC boy Carson Palmer took a "red shirt" year...how did that work out for him?

Troy Polamalu started zero games in his rookie year...how did that work out for him?

James Harrison was cut by the Steelers three separate times before sticking on the roster...he didn't start more than four games in a season until 2007...

But, you're right...players don't develop over time...

Hines Ward...Aaron Smith...both overnight successes in the NFL... :roll:

ikestops85
05-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Your USC boy Carson Palmer took a "red shirt" year...how did that work out for him?

Troy Polamalu started zero games in his rookie year...how did that work out for him?

James Harrison was cut by the Steelers three separate times before sticking on the roster...he didn't start more than four games in a season until 2007...

and as I recall Ben was supposed to spend a year on the bench and probably wouldn't have played a down if it weren't for the Maddox injury. We always draft late so we don't get a shot at the supposed 'sure thing' guys and we have quality starters that don't make rookie mistakes. That is why it is hard for a rookie to break into our starting lineup. Besides, isn't it a lot easier to go somewhere like Detroit and be 'The Man' on their defense than it is playing for the Steelers and being 'The Man'? I think that is just common sense.

SteelCzar76
05-11-2009, 04:19 PM

What are you talking about Stick ? QB's being the rare exception are traditionally handled with kid gloves and have excuses made for their play by all franchises.(especially when selected early in the draft)

And players like Troy, Woodley, and Joey Porter only failed to start in their rookie seasons because they simply had to learn the scheme. Not because they lacked elite talent.

As even when they got on the field during those said rookie seasons, it became very apparent even for those whom have never played football on any level (Cheerleaders) to discern that they were exceptional football players. Whom were firmly entrenched as impact starters from the beginning of their second seasons on. (Again,...you cannot keep actual studs off of the field)

In regards to Silverback,..of course it would have taken him time to become a starter,....he was an UFA from Kent State not a 15th overall pick from Florida State. :lol:

And if memory serves me correctly Big Diesel (Aaron) was not drafted anywhere near the 1st or second round either. And Hines was considered a slow project receiver coming out of college. All three examples of unheralded players improving themselves via hard work.

As opposed to the team spending 1st round picks on them and then along with the head coach and some fans anoint them as potentially the best in the league without them having done anything in college and especially not in the pro's to support such utterly ridiculous claims ,.....

Slapstick
05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
What are you talking about Stick ? QB's being the rare exception are traditionally handled with kid gloves and have excuses made for their play by all franchises.(especially when selected early in the draft)

And players like Troy, Woodley, and Joey Porter only failed to start in their rookie seasons because they simply had to learn the scheme. Not because they lacked elite talent.

As even when they got on the field during those said rookie seasons, it became very apparent even for those whom have never played football on any level (Cheerleaders) to discern that they were exceptional football players. Whom were firmly entrenched as impact starters from the beginning of their second seasons on. (Again,...you cannot keep actual studs off of the field)

In regards to Silverback,..of course it would have taken him time to become a starter,....he was an UFA from Kent State not a 15th overall pick from Florida State. :lol:

And if memory serves me correctly Big Diesel (Aaron) was not drafted anywhere near the 1st or second round either. And Hines was considered a slow project receiver coming out of college. All three examples of unheralded players improving themselves via hard work.

As opposed to the team spending 1st round picks on them and then along with the head coach and some fans anoint them as potentially the best in the league without them having done anything in college and especially not in the pro's to support such utterly ridiculous claims ,.....

What am I talking about? You were the one who wrote that players "are what they are", not me...

I merely pointed out that players can take time to develop...that it isn't always possible to even tell "what they are" within even a few seasons, in some cases...

It is the Steelers' MO to draft and develop players...the players learn the system and become eventual starters...this is not an uncommon practice for the Pittsburgh Steelers, especially over the last 15 or so years...

I'm talking about how your argument really isn't holding water when faced with the reality of how this team operates...