PDA

View Full Version : Bengals trade our trash for Brian Leonard

PSU_dropout43
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Running back Brian Leonard is now a Cincinnati Bengal following a trade today.

The St. Louis Rams traded Leonard today in exchange for defensive tackle Orien Harris, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

A former Rutgers star, Leonard rushed for 303 yards as a rookie in seven starts. That included a 102-yard performance on 18 carries against the Arizona Cardinals.

However, Leonard only played in two games last season due to injuries and was limited to seven yards on two carries. Leonard has undergone surgery on both shoulders since being in the NFL.

Drafted in the second round in 2007, Leonard was signed to a four-year, $2.8 million contract that included $1.55 million in guaranteed money.

As for Harris, this is the latest in a series of moves for him as he’ll be playing for his sixth NFL team in four seasons. He registered 24 tackles in 14 games last season.

A former University of Miami player, Harris has previous stints with the New Orleans Saints, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was drafted in the fourth round by Pittsburgh in 2006.

At Miami, Harris registered 159 career tackles and 11 sacks.

Chavezz
05-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I really like Leonard coming out of the draft that year. I thought that he'd be a great addition to our team.

Too bad he's going to be a Bengal.

phillyesq
05-07-2009, 08:59 PM
This is a good move for the Bengals. Curious move for the Rams.

Jom112
05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
This is a good move for the Bengals. Curious move for the Rams.

It is an odd move by the Rams.

I liked Harris and thought he played decent for us, but he was most likely not going to make the roster this season so I thought it was a really good trade for us.

I'm thinking the reins of the organization have been passed down from Mike Brown to someone competent because a lot of moves this offseason actually make sense...

Chadman
05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Hmm...not sure if this is an indication of the Steelers letting 'a good one go' in Harris, or if Leonard's injuries are worse than reported.

Funny- there was a smattering of posters here that wanted Leonard in the middle rounds when he came out in the draft- guess the Steelers were wise not grabbing him.

Just wondering if the Steelers passed up on Harris too early though...

Jom112
05-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Hmm...not sure if this is an indication of the Steelers letting 'a good one go' in Harris, or if Leonard's injuries are worse than reported.

Funny- there was a smattering of posters here that wanted Leonard in the middle rounds when he came out in the draft- guess the Steelers were wise not grabbing him.

Harris reminds me of Michael Myers (Not that one Ruthless). A good player that somehow gets bounced around from team to team. I think he'll do well in St. Louis. Not sure if he can be a starter but as a rotational player, he'll do well...

steelblood
05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Leonard can be effective IF

1. He is healthy

and

2. He is used properly.

Leonard is best as a 3rd down back or H-back. He is strong enough to stand up blitzers and a great pass receiver with decent agility for his size.

If the Bengals expect him to be a FB or rotational tailback, they are setting him up for failure in my opinion.

papillon
05-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Running back Brian Leonard is now a Cincinnati Bengal following a trade today.

The St. Louis Rams traded Leonard today in exchange for defensive tackle Orien Harris, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

A former Rutgers star, Leonard rushed for 303 yards as a rookie in seven starts. That included a 102-yard performance on 18 carries against the Arizona Cardinals.

However, Leonard only played in two games last season due to injuries and was limited to seven yards on two carries. Leonard has undergone surgery on both shoulders since being in the NFL.

Drafted in the second round in 2007, Leonard was signed to a four-year, $2.8 million contract that included $1.55 million in guaranteed money.

As for Harris, this is the latest in a series of moves for him as he’ll be playing for his sixth NFL team in four seasons. He registered 24 tackles in 14 games last season.

A former University of Miami player, Harris has previous stints with the New Orleans Saints, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was drafted in the fourth round by Pittsburgh in 2006.

At Miami, Harris registered 159 career tackles and 11 sacks.

Your sig is disturbing. That isn't what Steeler football is about. Just my 2 cents.

As for Harris, 4 teams in 3 years doesn't bode well for him.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Harris reminds me of Michael Myers (Not that one Ruthless). A good player that somehow gets bounced around from team to team. I think he'll do well in St. Louis. Not sure if he can be a starter but as a rotational player, he'll do well...

Who me? Why would you think I would confuse my Michael Myerseseses?

You have to be talking about either this one:

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/Michael-Myers-outside-window.jpg

or this one:

http://www.britfilms.tv/images/news/mike%20myers.jpg

but certainly not this one:

http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/photos/images/training-camp_2008_july-31-2/Michael_Myers--nfl_large_590_Unlimited.jpg