PDA

View Full Version : Late signings show why the Steelers are the best

Oviedo
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM
While everyone wants to get filled with Angst that the Steelers dont spend tens of millions of dollars on big free agent signings many forget they sit tight and wait for "items" to go on sell and get quality at a lower price. Who enjoyed paying for an iPhine when it first came out and seeing it cost half as much a couple of months later?

Last year we got Moore who probably saved the regular season at RB. We also got Leftwich who won the Redskins game for us and was a solid back up.

So far this year we got McDonald at WR who was a 70+ catch receiver just two years ago. Now we are looking at Napolean Harris to provide depth at ILB with the Foote departure and if we sign him it will be for less than $2.8M which is what the back up Foote would have cost.

Bookmark this when all the whiners start to complain next March because the Steelers aren't giving offensive linemen $60M contracts. The Steelers always do it right ye of little faith.

P.S.--why not go after Levi Jones and let him beat on the pathetic Bumgals this season. He would love it, but then escaping the Bumgals this past week has probably been the highlight of his profressional career.

Mel Blount's G
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
P.S.--why not go after Levi Jones and let him beat on the pathetic Bumgals this season. He would love it, but then escaping the Bumgals this past week has probably been the highlight of his profressional career.
Because I'm guessing that we won't/can't match the $$ that the bills and the other 4-5 teams interested in him will offer. Unless he would take much less to beat on the bungholes twice a year (assuming he were to win a starting spot and assuming he stays healthy enough to keep it).

It pizzes me off that Levi would have made a third of Starks' salary in cinci this year. But I'm assuming right now that he'll command more than that on the open market.

phillyesq
05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Because I'm guessing that we won't/can't match the $$ that the bills and the other 4-5 teams interested in him will offer. Unless he would take much less to beat on the bungholes twice a year (assuming he were to win a starting spot and assuming he stays healthy enough to keep it).

It pizzes me off that Levi would have made a third of Starks' salary in cinci this year. But I'm assuming right now that he'll command more than that on the open market.

I think that Marvel Smith is probably the better comparison for Jones. Jones, although talented, is banged up at this point -- not sure how much there is left.

steelblood
05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, the Steelers have selectively added some very good low-to-moderately priced FAs over the years. Ryan Clark, Farrior, and Hartings come to mind.

Also, by not breaking the bank on FAs, you don't expose yourself as much when they don't pan out or get injured.