PDA

View Full Version : Kraig Urbik Article

Oviedo
05-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Very good article. IMO he is the only rookie with any chance to start a game this season.

Snapshot: Kraig Urbik

By Mark Kaboly
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted May 6, 2009

Steelers' second draft pick could find himself in the starting lineup with a strong training camp.

Kraig Urbik is pretty much used to the stereotype by now.
Urbik, the Steelers' third-round pick in April’s NFL Draft, is a hulking 6-foot-5, 323-pound offensive lineman out of the University of Wisconsin who grew up in the tiny town of Hudson, Wis. To get to the house he grew up in, you’d have to turn on Prairie Lane and pass Stagecoach Trail, not far from Wagon Wheel Court, before arriving at the residence. Urbik even majored in agricultural journalism at Wisconsin, from which, incidentally, he needs one class to earn his degree.

A farm boy through and through?

Well, not really. Although Urbik fits the profile of a country-boy farmer from a tiny town in the midwest, he is anything but that. There are no farms within miles of his hometown and, no, he has never bailed hay or milked a cow in his life.

“No, not at all,” said Urbik with a laugh.

Instead, he is at the other end of the spectrum.

Urbik grew up just 15 miles away from St. Paul, Minn., and actually spent the first 12 years of his life just outside of Chicago. He lived just a stone’s throw from the Hudson Golf Club and planned on spending much of the first day of the draft golfing before rain changed those plans.

“I am from far being a country boy,” Urbik said.

So what about that major?

“Believe me, I have no aspirations of being an agricultural journalist,” Urbik said.

But he does have aspirations of being the Steelers’ starting right guard come September. “He’ll be definitely given an opportunity to show what he’s capable of,” Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said.

Urbik was one of the most decorated linemen to come out of Wisconsin.He started as a freshman and played 50 games over his four years in Madison. He allowed three sacks over his last three years.

“Starting that many games was special, especially at a school like Wisconsin,” Urbik said. “It is a good tradition, but nothing like this. I want to show that I belong.”

Urbik got the attention of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians almost immediately. Prior to the draft, Arians jotted down a few names of players he would love to draft. Urbik was one of them.

“(He is a) big, tough, nasty type of guy that has position flexibility,” Arians said. “If you just go out and watch him play one-on-one, you aren’t picking him on your team. When you put him in a football game, on offensive line, there are a lot of guys who don’t play good one-on-one.”

Urbik is hoping to continue the tradition of well-prepared, tough offensive linemen Wisconsin has sent to the NFL, a recent example is Cleveland’s Joe Thomas. Thomas has started every game of his two-year career.

Urbik, despite a vote of confidence from Tomlin and Arians, isn’t worried about supplanting Darnell Stapleton as the starting right guard quite yet.

“I am not looking ahead or at any kind of competition,” Urbik said. “I am just going to try to come in and compete.”

But Urbik could have a legitimate chance of starting the opener against the Tennessee Titans. Stapleton struggled down the stretch and in the Super Bowl last year, forcing the Steelers to look for a bigger and stronger guard to match up with some of the best nose tackles around, who happen to play in the AFC North.

“For us, we’re playing in a division where there are no guard doubles,” Arians said. “So it is more: Can he go to the second level and still come down and block the big nose guards that we have to face on our division? He has the ability to do both.”

Arians doesn’t ask his right guard to pull at all. So Urbik will be asked to line up and smash the guy in front of him.

“He’ll fight you,” Tomlin said. “He has the characteristics of those Wisconsin linemen. He’s a smart guy. We’ll see how he transitions.”

The first minicamp was tough for Urbik because the coaching staff threw “about 90 percent of the offense” at him.

“Here they are asking us to do a lot of different things, technique-wise,” Urbik said. “You have to get used to an entirely different offense.”

The Steelers don’t feel that will be an issue with this farm boy ... er, city slicker.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Very good article. IMO he is the only rookie with any chance to start a game this season.

Snapshot: Kraig Urbik

By Mark Kaboly
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted May 6, 2009

Steelers' second draft pick could find himself in the starting lineup with a strong training camp.

Kraig Urbik is pretty much used to the stereotype by now.
Urbik, the Steelers' third-round pick in April’s NFL Draft, is a hulking 6-foot-5, 323-pound offensive lineman out of the University of Wisconsin who grew up in the tiny town of Hudson, Wis. To get to the house he grew up in, you’d have to turn on Prairie Lane and pass Stagecoach Trail, not far from Wagon Wheel Court, before arriving at the residence. Urbik even majored in agricultural journalism at Wisconsin, from which, incidentally, he needs one class to earn his degree.

A farm boy through and through?

Well, not really. Although Urbik fits the profile of a country-boy farmer from a tiny town in the midwest, he is anything but that. There are no farms within miles of his hometown and, no, he has never bailed hay or milked a cow in his life.

“No, not at all,” said Urbik with a laugh.

Instead, he is at the other end of the spectrum.

Urbik grew up just 15 miles away from St. Paul, Minn., and actually spent the first 12 years of his life just outside of Chicago. He lived just a stone’s throw from the Hudson Golf Club and planned on spending much of the first day of the draft golfing before rain changed those plans.

“I am from far being a country boy,” Urbik said.

So what about that major?

“Believe me, I have no aspirations of being an agricultural journalist,” Urbik said.

But he does have aspirations of being the Steelers’ starting right guard come September. “He’ll be definitely given an opportunity to show what he’s capable of,” Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said.

Urbik was one of the most decorated linemen to come out of Wisconsin.He started as a freshman and played 50 games over his four years in Madison. He allowed three sacks over his last three years.

“Starting that many games was special, especially at a school like Wisconsin,” Urbik said. “It is a good tradition, but nothing like this. I want to show that I belong.”

Urbik got the attention of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians almost immediately. Prior to the draft, Arians jotted down a few names of players he would love to draft. Urbik was one of them.

“(He is a) big, tough, nasty type of guy that has position flexibility,” Arians said. “If you just go out and watch him play one-on-one, you aren’t picking him on your team. When you put him in a football game, on offensive line, there are a lot of guys who don’t play good one-on-one.”
Urbik is hoping to continue the tradition of well-prepared, tough offensive linemen Wisconsin has sent to the NFL, a recent example is Cleveland’s Joe Thomas. Thomas has started every game of his two-year career.

Urbik, despite a vote of confidence from Tomlin and Arians, isn’t worried about supplanting Darnell Stapleton as the starting right guard quite yet.

“I am not looking ahead or at any kind of competition,” Urbik said. “I am just going to try to come in and compete.”

But Urbik could have a legitimate chance of starting the opener against the Tennessee Titans. Stapleton struggled down the stretch and in the Super Bowl last year, forcing the Steelers to look for a bigger and stronger guard to match up with some of the best nose tackles around, who happen to play in the AFC North.

“For us, we’re playing in a division where there are no guard doubles,” Arians said. “So it is more: Can he go to the second level and still come down and block the big nose guards that we have to face on our division? He has the ability to do both.”

Arians doesn’t ask his right guard to pull at all. So Urbik will be asked to line up and smash the guy in front of him.

“He’ll fight you,” Tomlin said. “He has the characteristics of those Wisconsin linemen. He’s a smart guy. We’ll see how he transitions.”

The first minicamp was tough for Urbik because the coaching staff threw “about 90 percent of the offense” at him.

“Here they are asking us to do a lot of different things, technique-wise,” Urbik said. “You have to get used to an entirely different offense.”

The Steelers don’t feel that will be an issue with this farm boy ... er, city slicker.
I'm wondering if this is Arians quote word for word...I think Arians could have worded this differently. He should not have said he wouldn't want him on your team based on individual drills. Just my opinion.

calmkiller
05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
That quote is correct. I said it right after we drafted him in the interview I watched. I have also seen that quote in about 4 different publications.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Regardless of how the quote was worded it shouldn't bother anyone. Arians wanted him and the team took him in the second round. That should be proof enough how they feel about him.

Something that I watched on NFLN regarding him before the draft should shed some light. They showed Senior Bowl practice and you saw clips of him getting beat, forced to hold, and not looking very good. Then, when you saw him playing in the game and he dominated the opposition. The point was that he might not look good in one-on-one drills, but the game isn't played that way. As one-fifth of an offensive line, he is a player.

Mel Blount's G
05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes, they are considering urbik at center too with a previous post-draft arians quote like "We'll see how he does with Casey lined up over him." I sh!t you not.

Arians is pointing out that playing within a system and a group is a skill unto itself and Urbik has it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Regardless of how the quote was worded it shouldn't bother anyone. Arians wanted him and the team took him in the second round. That should be proof enough how they feel about him.

Something that I watched on NFLN regarding him before the draft should shed some light. They showed Senior Bowl practice and you saw clips of him getting beat, forced to hold, and not looking very good. Then, when you saw him playing in the game and he dominated the opposition. The point was that he might not look good in one-on-one drills, but the game isn't played that way. As one-fifth of an offensive line, he is a player.
I'm not questioning Urbik's ability or the fact that drills and game production don't always have a translation. I like Urbik and I am excited he is a Steeler. If I'm the head coach of the Steelers I would have like the quote worded differently. He should have said that some players struggle in one-on-one drills but their play on gameday could be another story. You don't give the impression that you wouldn't pick the guy if you based it only on his individual workouts because he did that poorly. That's my opinion...Nobody has to like it or agree with it. I just think Arians used a poor choice of words for a guy who is now a player on his team. I saw the Senior Bowl practices and he did struggle. It is coachable and he has the tools.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes, they are considering urbik at center too with a previous post-draft arians quote like "We'll see how he does with Casey lined up over him." I sh!t you not.

Arians is pointing out that playing within a system and a group is a skill unto itself and Urbik has it.

Not questioning Urbik's ability. Arians used a poor choice of words in my opinion. I know about O line play and Urbik is solid. His deficiancies are coachable...The rest is up to him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-07-2009, 10:22 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":lz01lu29]Regardless of how the quote was worded it shouldn't bother anyone. Arians wanted him and the team took him in the second round. That should be proof enough how they feel about him.

I'm not questioning Urbik's ability or the fact that drills and game production don't always have a translation. I like Urbik and I am excited he is a Steeler. If I'm the head coach of the Steelers I would have like the quote worded differently. He should have said that some players struggle in one-on-one drills but their play on gameday could be another story. You don't give the impression that you wouldn't pick the guy if you based it only on his individual workouts because he did that poorly. That's my opinion...Nobody has to like it or agree with it. I just think Arians used a poor choice of words for a guy who is now a player on his team. I saw the Senior Bowl practices and he did struggle. It is coachable and he has the tools.[/quote:lz01lu29]

I am not disagreeing about the poor choice of words, but if I read you correctly, you don't want what he says to be taken the wrong way by the guy who you just drafted. However, I think that the fact that they drafted him should speak volumes to him, not an interpretation of some quote from an interview.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
You gotta wonder about the blanket statement that Arians does not ask his right guard to pull at all. And you wonder why all of those runs to the left side were getting stuffed all the time? :|

Oviedo
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM

That is why I didn't fall for the hype that came out of the drills at the Senior Bowl about certain offensive lineman. Urbik is a player and he has the ability to be a dominant Guard. The OL is the one area on the football team where it is more important that the sum be greater than any of the parts. Just a few years ago the Giants OL was getting ripped as inferior. They kept them together and now they are considered one of the best. It is about synchronization and teamwork which is why I never bought the lets sell out in the draft for OL because anyone is better than who we have.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 10:34 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3qb6s3t0][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3qb6s3t0]Regardless of how the quote was worded it shouldn't bother anyone. Arians wanted him and the team took him in the second round. That should be proof enough how they feel about him.

I'm not questioning Urbik's ability or the fact that drills and game production don't always have a translation. I like Urbik and I am excited he is a Steeler. If I'm the head coach of the Steelers I would have like the quote worded differently. He should have said that some players struggle in one-on-one drills but their play on gameday could be another story. You don't give the impression that you wouldn't pick the guy if you based it only on his individual workouts because he did that poorly. That's my opinion...Nobody has to like it or agree with it. I just think Arians used a poor choice of words for a guy who is now a player on his team. I saw the Senior Bowl practices and he did struggle. It is coachable and he has the tools.[/quote:3qb6s3t0]

I am not disagreeing about the poor choice of words, but if I read you correctly, you don't want what he says to be taken the wrong way by the guy who you just drafted. However, I think that the fact that they drafted him should speak volumes to him, not an interpretation of some quote from an interview.[/quote:3qb6s3t0]
"You aren't picking him on your team" shouldn't be something you say on this professional level no matter what precedes that statement to the press. I have a problem with that statement. Maybe it is just me...

Mel Blount's G
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
[quote="Mel Blount's G":1if9pagd]Yes, they are considering urbik at center too with a previous post-draft arians quote like "We'll see how he does with Casey lined up over him." I sh!t you not.

Not questioning Urbik's ability. Arians used a poor choice of words in my opinion. I know about O line play and Urbik is solid. His deficiancies are coachable...The rest is up to him.[/quote:1if9pagd]
I hear you. Consider though that the quote was taken out of a post-draft Q&A and that I'm thinking it didn't sound as funky when it was read within that context. That Q&A might be found on the steelers website

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":30u07dtn][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":30u07dtn][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":30u07dtn]Regardless of how the quote was worded it shouldn't bother anyone. Arians wanted him and the team took him in the second round. That should be proof enough how they feel about him.

I'm not questioning Urbik's ability or the fact that drills and game production don't always have a translation. I like Urbik and I am excited he is a Steeler. If I'm the head coach of the Steelers I would have like the quote worded differently. He should have said that some players struggle in one-on-one drills but their play on gameday could be another story. You don't give the impression that you wouldn't pick the guy if you based it only on his individual workouts because he did that poorly. That's my opinion...Nobody has to like it or agree with it. I just think Arians used a poor choice of words for a guy who is now a player on his team. I saw the Senior Bowl practices and he did struggle. It is coachable and he has the tools.[/quote:30u07dtn]

I am not disagreeing about the poor choice of words, but if I read you correctly, you don't want what he says to be taken the wrong way by the guy who you just drafted. However, I think that the fact that they drafted him should speak volumes to him, not an interpretation of some quote from an interview.[/quote:30u07dtn]
"You aren't picking him on your team" shouldn't be something you say on this professional level no matter what precedes that statement to the press. I have a problem with that statement. Maybe it is just me...[/quote:30u07dtn]

It was a poor choice of words, sure. I think what he was trying to say was that Urbik was somewhat of a Bizarro Mike Mamula. Mamula wowed everyone in Combine drills but wasn't much of an actual football player. Urbik, on the other hand, may not look great in drills wearing shorts, but put the pads on him in an actual game, and the kid can really play some football. And isn't that what it is all about?

stlrz d
05-07-2009, 11:26 AM
"You aren't picking him on your team" shouldn't be something you say on this professional level no matter what precedes that statement to the press. I have a problem with that statement. Maybe it is just me...

Think of it this way...what Arians is saying is that people who are dumb enough to only look at the combine and not look at what he did as part of a unit wouldn't be picking him...because they aren't smart enough to see what a player he is. :)

Now I know this is being nit-picky on my part, but I've been in the Hudson area (and even through Hudson) a few times.

There are no farms within miles of his hometown

That's just not true.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3dnf3auf][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3dnf3auf][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3dnf3auf]Regardless of how the quote was worded it shouldn't bother anyone. Arians wanted him and the team took him in the second round. That should be proof enough how they feel about him.

I'm not questioning Urbik's ability or the fact that drills and game production don't always have a translation. I like Urbik and I am excited he is a Steeler. If I'm the head coach of the Steelers I would have like the quote worded differently. He should have said that some players struggle in one-on-one drills but their play on gameday could be another story. You don't give the impression that you wouldn't pick the guy if you based it only on his individual workouts because he did that poorly. That's my opinion...Nobody has to like it or agree with it. I just think Arians used a poor choice of words for a guy who is now a player on his team. I saw the Senior Bowl practices and he did struggle. It is coachable and he has the tools.

I am not disagreeing about the poor choice of words, but if I read you correctly, you don't want what he says to be taken the wrong way by the guy who you just drafted. However, I think that the fact that they drafted him should speak volumes to him, not an interpretation of some quote from an interview.[/quote:3dnf3auf]
"You aren't picking him on your team" shouldn't be something you say on this professional level no matter what precedes that statement to the press. I have a problem with that statement. Maybe it is just me...[/quote:3dnf3auf]

It was a poor choice of words, sure. I think what he was trying to say was that Urbik was somewhat of a Bizarro Mike Mamula. Mamula wowed everyone in Combine drills but wasn't much of an actual football player. Urbik, on the other hand, may not look great in drills wearing shorts, but put the pads on him in an actual game, and the kid can really play some football. And isn't that what it is all about?[/quote:3dnf3auf]
And I agree with that. Urbik is a football player in the trenches right were we need him. But to discount his individual drills to the extent that you are saying you would pass on him throught the draft is absurb. I saw the drills they showed on NFL network when he was drafted. I also saw some of the other ones where they were showcasing DE & LB against him. He won some of them. OL has alot to do with the unit and chemistry within that unit. Knowing in a situation what the guy next to you is going to do. You know in a stunt that if you come off a block to pick up the guy coming free the guy you cut loose will be picked up. You also know when not to come off your guy because the guy next to you is engaged and that is someone elses responsibilty. All of this is done during a play with no communication besides a word call if any. But the bottom line is at some point in the play it comes down to winning an individual battle. Winning the "individual battle" is always refered to. The individual drills run doesn't have total weight on a players projection. However, they are in full gear and live. To say a player performed so poorly in those drills that you wouldn't even draft him is a knock on the player. Urbik performed well enough in those drills to deserve to be drafted. Watch the game film and he look like a 2nd or 3rd round talent. I just feel that was garbage coming out of his mouth. But I don't think Arians would ever make it as an OL coach so I should take it for what it is worth!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 11:31 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3jf20ori]

Think of it this way...what Arians is saying is that people who are dumb enough to only look at the combine and not look at what he did as part of a unit wouldn't be picking him...because they aren't smart enough to see what a player he is. :)

Now I know this is being nit-picky on my part, but I've been in the Hudson area (and even through Hudson) a few times.

That's just not true.[/quote:3jf20ori]

And I'm sure that is what he was trying to say...He should have said it differently.

Slapstick
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Since the Steelers have been playing Colon at RT, does anyone else think that Urbik may just have a shot at RT after this year? Play him at RG for a year to get him acclimated to the NFL game and then slide him over to RT?

Colon is only signed through 2009...

Could Urbik be worse than Colon at RT? Or even Starks?

stlrz d
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3glbaqag][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3glbaqag]

That's just not true.[/quote:3glbaqag]

*shrugs* It was clear to me from the beginning what he meant. I'm sure Urbik understood too.

And I'm sure that is what he was trying to say...He should have said it differently.[/quote:3glbaqag]

aggiebones
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
He gave up 3 sacks in 50 games against the likes of Michigan, OSU and PSU. He seems a good run blocker as well. We got him for a steal in my mind as a 3rd rounder as he'll likely start for many years for us. Maybe he has a ceiling that prevents him from being an allpro, but I think he'll be a starter for many years. In the 3rd round, that's gold!

steeler_george
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Although I never seen him play or even heard of him prior to the draft, I was hoping that he would get drafted by us. From what I read about him, he seemed somewhat of a "steeler type" player, productive and efficient.

He should be the starter, if he is able to grasp the speed, strenght of the game and the playbook, unless Stapelton jumps leaps in bounds next year with the pressure on.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
He gave up 3 sacks in 50 games against the likes of Michigan, OSU and PSU. He seems a good run blocker as well. We got him for a steal in my mind as a 3rd rounder as he'll likely start for many years for us. Maybe he has a ceiling that prevents him from being an allpro, but I think he'll be a starter for many years. In the 3rd round, that's gold!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/quake-wars-gold-jerry-gold.jpghttp://www.siyumhaseinfeld.com/images/chars/bania2.jpg

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 04:02 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":l2sqhde0][quote="stlrz d":l2sqhde0][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":l2sqhde0]

That's just not true.[/quote:l2sqhde0]

*shrugs* It was clear to me from the beginning what he meant. I'm sure Urbik understood too.

And I'm sure that is what he was trying to say...He should have said it differently.[/quote:l2sqhde0][/quote:l2sqhde0]

The point is taken...I understood what he was implying. He just didn't need to degrade a player about his performance in drills.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-07-2009, 04:06 PM

I wouldn't say his ceiling is before All Pro. There has been a many OL that were just blue-collared & a mean SOB that were classroom guys that became great football players. He has the tools. If he is coachable the sky is the limit for him.

buckeyehoppy
05-07-2009, 08:36 PM
You gotta wonder about the blanket statement that Arians does not ask his right guard to pull at all. And you wonder why all of those runs to the left side were getting stuffed all the time? :|

I wondered about that, too.

Then, I re-read his scouting report from draftcountdown.com

Strengths:
Outstanding size and bulk...Strong and powerful...Very physical and can manhandle opponents...An excellent run blocker...Stout at the point of attack...Uses his hands well...Hard worker...Tough and plays with a nasty demeanor...Offers some positional versatility...Smart with nice awareness...Was extremely durable...Has a lot of experience.

Notice what I put in bold...he's "an excellent run blocker"...and BA isn't going to ask him to pull?...AT ALL???

That's like buying a sports car just to drive it in a parking lot or driveway.

buckeyehoppy
05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I feel like Urbik has EVERY chance to be the opening day starter at RG.

If the coaching staff can make the run offense more versatile than simply running left and telegraphing the punch every time then we might be able to get something out of an OL that was drafted on the margin. Perhaps this unit, which has been together for a couple camps for the most part, could jell enough to prove me wrong, at least.

This season is going to answer every question there is about the OL.

Max won't be re-tagged with Heath's deal looming still unsigned and he has only been effective for the last half of last season. It was great that he was able to step up down the stretch. But let's see if he really steps up and warrants the US$8+M that he has received with the franchise tag the last two off-seasons when asked to do it for a full season. It will be the first time it's happened if it does.

Hartwig is singing for his supper, too. Sure, Shipley was drafted as the contingency. But we need to see if Hartwig is hungry enough to become a premiere player, or, even, to have enough sack to defend his spot on the roster.

Between Kemo, Urbik and Darnell the G position is probably the least worrisome...unless those pesky injuries start to crop up. But this position is arguably set for another 3 years at least.

The big hope here is that we can get a full and productive season out of our Ts. And that's asking a lot when you are talking about Max and Willie, with Hills and Capizzi as the understudies.

I have been wondering when the Steelers were going to adequately address the personnel on the OL. I have been answered, to this point, with silence to a heavy degree. I'm willing to live with that so long as everything pans out with the personnel assembled.

The FO has cobbled together a crew of mid-to-late round draft selections, UDFAs and obscure middle-of-the-road veteran FAs and is asking it to sustain a championship caliber team at the point of attack. If these guys can keep doing that, so be it. If they can't, I can look at this team, position for position, and say that every unit has at least adequate depth backing up strong starting players.

The OL is what it is and, hopefully, these guys will play. I have faith that the coaching staff and the FO know what they are doing. But the lack of protection and lack of firepower on the OL we have seen too many times the last couple years will be unacceptable going forward. They looked good enough for long enough to deliver a SB win last season, but what will they do for an encore? The level of play on the OL is still expected to go up a couple notches over the last two seasons, in my view.

My standard of expectation will not change for this team. The schedule appears lighter, but the target is on our back. Everybody needs to maintain the same intensity. For the OL, however, that is magnified in my mind since we are asking for championship caliber performance out of guys who were largely afterthoughts.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I feel like Urbik has EVERY chance to be the opening day starter at RG.

If the coaching staff can make the run offense more versatile than simply running left and telegraphing the punch every time then we might be able to get something out of an OL that was drafted on the margin. Perhaps this unit, which has been together for a couple camps for the most part, could jell enough to prove me wrong, at least.

This season is going to answer every question there is about the OL.

Max won't be re-tagged with Heath's deal looming still unsigned and he has only been effective for the last half of last season. It was great that he was able to step up down the stretch. But let's see if he really steps up and warrants the US$8+M that he has received with the franchise tag the last two off-seasons when asked to do it for a full season. It will be the first time it's happened if it does.

Hartwig is singing for his supper, too. Sure, Shipley was drafted as the contingency. But we need to see if Hartwig is hungry enough to become a premiere player, or, even, to have enough sack to defend his spot on the roster.

Between Kemo, Urbik and Darnell the G position is probably the least worrisome...unless those pesky injuries start to crop up. But this position is arguably set for another 3 years at least.

The big hope here is that we can get a full and productive season out of our Ts. And that's asking a lot when you are talking about Max and Willie, with Hills and Capizzi as the understudies.

I have been wondering when the Steelers were going to adequately address the personnel on the OL. I have been answered, to this point, with silence to a heavy degree. I'm willing to live with that so long as everything pans out with the personnel assembled.

The FO has cobbled together a crew of mid-to-late round draft selections, UDFAs and obscure middle-of-the-road veteran FAs and is asking it to sustain a championship caliber team at the point of attack. If these guys can keep doing that, so be it. If they can't, I can look at this team, position for position, and say that every unit has at least adequate depth backing up strong starting players.

The OL is what it is and, hopefully, these guys will play. I have faith that the coaching staff and the FO know what they are doing. But the lack of protection and lack of firepower on the OL we have seen too many times the last couple years will be unacceptable going forward. They looked good enough for long enough to deliver a SB win last season, but what will they do for an encore? The level of play on the OL is still expected to go up a couple notches over the last two seasons, in my view.

My standard of expectation will not change for this team. The schedule appears lighter, but the target is on our back. Everybody needs to maintain the same intensity. For the OL, however, that is magnified in my mind since we are asking for championship caliber performance out of guys who were largely afterthoughts.

I think I've heard those big red words somewhere before.... :wink:

papillon
05-08-2009, 11:28 AM

He gave up 3 sacks as an interior lineman over 50 games and that's excellent. Someone asked if he could play a year at RG and then move to RT. I doubt it, unless, he is able to handle pass rushers to the outside better than he did at the combine. The knock on Urbik was that in space pass rushers got the better of him. As a RG that won't be as big an issue and he's been touted as an excellent run blocker. I see him as the RG for a long time; hopefully, getting his feet wet this year and possibly taking the job by the end of the year.

Lets keep him where he's best and do the same for any other o-line position.

Pappy

feltdizz
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
who cares how Arians worded it.. we drafted him so obviously we believe in him.

Steeler coaches tend to tell it like it is..

phillyesq
05-08-2009, 04:57 PM

He gave up 3 sacks as an interior lineman over 50 games and that's excellent. Someone asked if he could play a year at RG and then move to RT. I doubt it, unless, he is able to handle pass rushers to the outside better than he did at the combine. The knock on Urbik was that in space pass rushers got the better of him. As a RG that won't be as big an issue and he's been touted as an excellent run blocker. I see him as the RG for a long time; hopefully, getting his feet wet this year and possibly taking the job by the end of the year.

Lets keep him where he's best and do the same for any other o-line position.

Pappy

I believe that he played some RT in college, but from the little I've seen of him, he definitely seems better suited at guard. I would think/hope that he is nothing more than an emergency option at RT.

NorthCoast
05-10-2009, 08:56 AM
The whole Arians wording thing is a non-issue IMO. Don't believe for one minute these players don't know what their shortcomings are after years of college play. Many players are called out as non-practice players, but when the game comes around they are money. The fact that they chose Urbik, even over their voiced shortcomings of him speaks volumes about their perception of him. Maybe it just happens to be the reason why he was available when the Steelers picked him? ....for that, I am glad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-10-2009, 12:11 PM
The whole Arians wording thing is a non-issue IMO. Don't believe for one minute these players don't know what their shortcomings are after years of college play. Many players are called out as non-practice players, but when the game comes around they are money. The fact that they chose Urbik, even over their voiced shortcomings of him speaks volumes about their perception of him. Maybe it just happens to be the reason why he was available when the Steelers picked him? ....for that, I am glad.

Agreed that it is a non issue. His shortcoming is not that he doesn't like to practice, or practice hard, it is that while he may not look his best at this one drill, you can see his positives come out when it really counts.

Would anyone be offended if in speaking about Shipley, Arians said "if you look at his size then he is not somebody who we would draft, but when you see him perform on the field then you will know why we did pick him"?

If after interviewing him the Steelers felt that he would be that hypersensitive then they would not have drafted him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Let's be clear. I like the Urbik pick. I agree the guy looks good on film and at position drills I have seen that included more then the plays shown on NFL network after he was drafted. Non issue?...I don't have an issue with Urbik. Let's see...If any of the position coaches said this about Stephens, A Jackson, Colclough, McBean, Edwards, etc. when they drafted them...What would you say now about the comment after the failed pick? I guess I looked at this from the business standpoint more than anyone else. Poor choice of words.

Oviedo
05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Is this thread about Urbik or arguing over comments? I can't seem to tell anymore :?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Agreed that it is a non issue. His shortcoming is not that he doesn't like to practice, or practice hard, it is that while he may not look his best at this one drill, you can see his positives come out when it really counts.

Would anyone be offended if in speaking about Shipley, Arians said "if you look at his size then he is not somebody who we would draft, but when you see him perform on the field then you will know why we did pick him"?

If after interviewing him the Steelers felt that he would be that hypersensitive then they would not have drafted him.
You are one of many missing my point. I never brought up sensitivity of Urbik to the issue. It isn't about the effect on Urbik. Arians used a poor choice of words. As far as Shipley, If you knew a little something about the OL and Shipley's physical short comings he is in the right position (Although it is most likely his only position). Your example isn't a good comparison. If he added the same line about how he performed in individual workouts and said they wouldn't draft him based on that then yes I would have an issue. If they drafted Shipley and he was consistantly beat in individual workouts against elite competition...I would have a problem. But the Steelers usually don't make those mistakes.

papillon
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Since the Steelers have been playing Colon at RT, does anyone else think that Urbik may just have a shot at RT after this year? Play him at RG for a year to get him acclimated to the NFL game and then slide him over to RT?

Yes, very much so, he's a rookie and hasn't even been through one training camp yet. He hasn't hot one NFL defensive end or tackle in a live game. He hasn't seen the speed of the pro game and linebackers like Woodley and Harrison bull rushing his @ss yet. He could be worse and I almost guarantee he would be worse. Colon is the Steelers' best bet at RT to start the season, unless, Hills has improved and can compete with Colon. Urbik isn't going to be the opening day RT, IMHO.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Yes, very much so, he's a rookie and hasn't even been through one training camp yet. He hasn't hot one NFL defensive end or tackle in a live game. He hasn't seen the speed of the pro game and linebackers like Woodley and Harrison bull rushing his @ss yet. He could be worse and I almost guarantee he would be worse. Colon is the Steelers' best bet at RT to start the season, unless, Hills has improved and can compete with Colon. Urbik isn't going to be the opening day RT, IMHO.

Pappy

Agreed. Urbik could have a legit shot to win the starting RG spot as a rookie, though.

Oviedo
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM

Pappy

Agreed. Urbik could have a legit shot to win the starting RG spot as a rookie, though.

I agree. I think he is the only rookie who has a chance to force his way into the starting line up by season's end. It would be sweet to see Urbik and Hills manning the right side of the OL for years to come starting in 2010.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Pappy

I agree. I think he is the only rookie who has a chance to force his way into the starting line up by season's end. It would be sweet to see Urbik and Hills manning the right side of the OL for years to come starting in 2010.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Urbik starting at RG from game 1. His size and raw skills are enough right now to be more productive than Stapleton. When is only a question of playbook & assignment. Since he is a very intelligent kid, I would say the coaches will be comfortable enough by the beginning of the season. Watch the preseason...If Urbik gets a start at RG with a healthy Stapleton on the sideline...The rest is history!

papillon
05-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Pappy

If Urbik doesn't win the camp battle I'd rather he not move Colon out during the season barring an injury to Colon. I would only change the starting offensive line mid-season due to injury and necessity. If he's going to be the RG for the Steelers he needs to be the RG from day one, IMHO.

Pappy