View Full Version : A fresh start for McDonald

fordfixer
05-07-2009, 01:16 AM
A fresh start for McDonald
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

http://news.steelers.com/article/105399/

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
It didn’t take long for wide receiver Shaun McDonald to see the difference between his new team, the Steelers, and the one he played for the last two seasons, the Detroit Lions.

It had nothing to do with the way the teams finished their 2008 season – with the Steelers winning Super Bowl XLIII while the Lions went 0-16. Instead, it was about the approach from the start.

After going through just one offensive meeting during the team’s minicamp, McDonald understood why the Steelers are so successful.

“I see a difference in meetings,” said McDonald. “That is big. Last year (at Detroit) there weren’t a lot of details, a lot of direction. It’s good to be in there really getting coached and having set goals and stuff like that. I am glad to be around that again.”

McDonald, who signed with the team at the start of minicamp last week, endured a season last year with the Lions that he hopes no player ever has to go through in their career.

“Terrible, it was just terrible,” said McDonald. “It was tough. I try to not even talk about it and forget about that year and move on. I am glad I get an opportunity to make this team. I need some winning in my life.”

It was no wonder McDonald was all smiles during minicamp despite being thrown into a new offense without much notice. He has that new lease on his football life he was so hoping for and he plans on enjoying it and making it work for him.

“It’s going to be fun,” he said. “I am just going to work my hardest, try to get better and hopefully make this team.

“It’s definitely good to start off new. I am trying to learn the playbook. It’s different from what I know. I wanted to be around something new. Two losing seasons in a row in Detroit wasn’t fun. I wanted to get to a team where I can help win a game.”

McDonald was originally drafted in the fourth round by the St. Louis Rams in 2003 out of Arizona State. He spent four seasons with them before joining the Lions. In 2007 McDonald led the Lions with 79 catches for 943 yards and six touchdowns.

“I have been playing for a while so I know how to read the zone or man,” said McDonald. “I have learned from playing with some good receivers back with the Rams. I can also bring veteran leadership and mesh with other veterans and try to get out on the field.”

And there are different methods he will use to get that playing time. He got a look during minicamp on special teams as a punt returner, something that he would welcome the opportunity to do.

“I hope so,” said McDonald of being given the chance to be a part of the return game. “I am ready to do whatever I need to do. Whatever they let me do I will be out there trying to make plays and trying to help the team.”

He also is hoping to be a part of the team’s passing game. Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes have a stronghold on the starting wide receiver spots, but with Nate Washington gone to the Tennessee Titans via free agency and a lack of experience behind the starters, there is definitely an opportunity for McDonald.

“It’s a young receiving corps, but it’s talented,” said McDonald. “I saw some guys out there making plays. I am just trying to get better right now. I am going to try and make as many plays as I can. When the ball comes my way I am going to try and make the play and get up field.”

Chadman
05-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Chadman would be amazed if he doesn't make the final 53.

It's Courtney Hawkins all over again!

MeetJoeGreene
05-07-2009, 07:59 AM
He sounds like a solid citizen.

I am torn between wanting hime to be #3 and be a solid contributor and hoping Sweed progresses enough to seize that spot as well.

Oviedo
05-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Chadman would be amazed if he doesn't make the final 53.

It's Courtney Hawkins all over again!

I agree. Veteran starter with experience who has shown he can pull down 70+ catches. I predict right now the Final 5 WRs will be: Hines, Santonio, Sweed, McDonald and unless he is a bust Wallace. The best Baker can hope for is the Practice Squad again.

papillon
05-07-2009, 08:08 AM

I am torn between wanting hime to be #3 and be a solid contributor and hoping Sweed progresses enough to seize that spot as well.

Not me, the Steelers need Sweed to be the #3 and even challenge for #2 by next year. Ward isn't going to be around forever and, as fans, we need to realize that. The 1-2 punch needs to be Holmes-Sweed and then if McDonald can be #3 great. Even then, I'd probably rather see Wallace pan into a solid #3 before McDonald.

Pappy

calmkiller
05-07-2009, 08:57 AM

Not me, the Steelers need Sweed to be the #3 and even challenge for #2 by next year. Ward isn't going to be around forever and, as fans, we need to realize that. The 1-2 punch needs to be Holmes-Sweed and then if McDonald can be #3 great. Even then, I'd probably rather see Wallace pan into a solid #3 before McDonald.

Pappy
:Agree 100%

flippy
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
3rd down is about having smart, reliable WRs that can move the chains. I expect McDonald to beat out Sweed for the #3 spot.

No knock on Sweed intended...McDonald is that good. It's another Mewelde like pickup.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Come on MJG. I'd like to see anybody step in and contribute, but Sweed is one of those players who we need to determine whether or not we will be able to transition smoothly as age catches up to our older players.

Sweed is being counted on to be a starter within a couple of years opposite Santonio. McDonald is simply an insurance policy that can be used as a fallback in case Sweed is not yet ready to step up. If McDonald doesn't make the team then it would be unfortunate. If Sweed somehow fails to make the squad then it is a huge blow and puts WR at the very top of the list of glaring needs next off-season.

Oviedo
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM

Come on MJG. I'd like to see anybody step in and contribute, but Sweed is one of those players who we need to determine whether or not we will be able to transition smoothly as age catches up to our older players.

Sweed is being counted on to be a starter within a couple of years opposite Santonio. McDonald is simply an insurance policy that can be used as a fallback in case Sweed is not yet ready to step up. If McDonald doesn't make the team then it would be unfortunate. If Sweed somehow fails to make the squad then it is a huge blow and puts WR at the very top of the list of glaring needs next off-season.

:Agree The future at WR is Santonio and Sweed. Based on style and size they sure remind me of Swann and Stallworth. One quick and graceful and one big and fast.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM

:Agree The future at WR is Santonio and Sweed. Based on style and size they sure remind me of Swann and Stallworth. One quick and graceful and one big and fast.

The 10 and 14 look quite different from the 88 and 82, though. I'd be satisfied if Holmes and Sweed can make me forget about Stewart and O'Donnell wearing those numbers before I will ask them to become the next Swann and Stallworth.
:wink:

Oviedo
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM

The 10 and 14 look quite different from the 88 and 82, though. I'd be satisfied if Holmes and Sweed can make me forget about Stewart and O'Donnell wearing those numbers before I will ask them to become the next Swann and Stallworth.

If they make you forget they would be the "redemption receivers" and forever remove the stain associated with those numbers.

stlrz d
05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
3rd down is about having smart, reliable WRs that can move the chains. I expect McDonald to beat out Sweed for the #3 spot.

No knock on Sweed intended...McDonald is that good. It's another Mewelde like pickup.

3rd WR isn't just about 3rd down anymore.

This is not your father's Steelers offense. :P

Slapstick
05-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I realize that Sweed had a tough rookie season...kind of like Lawrence Timmons did...

But, make no mistake, Sweed is a good football player...he had a legitimate 1st round grade before an injury dropped him into round two...

I still vividly remember Sweed going airborne that fateful Saturday night at the horseshoe, coming down with the go ahead TD pass from Vince Young that doomed the Buckeyes...I hated him then, but I'm now glad that he's on my team...

I'm not surprised that there has been an adjustment period for Sweed...he came from a decidedly "not-pro-style" offense...

It is not uncommon for talented Steeler rookies to struggle...Troy Bustamalu, anyone?

Sweed will be a bad@$$ for the Steelers...no doubt in my mind...

flippy
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM

I like Santonio, but I still wonder how good he is.

The SuperBowl was a great game for him, but he was going against a subpar corner.

I hope he builds on that.

Not to knock Santonio, but he's got all these kids and the weed habit and it has made me wonder if he's working as hard as he can to maximize his talent?

I think a lot of opinions changed about Tone after the SuperBowl.

The games I've been to over the last several years, it's been very clear, Nate Washington was the only WR that got consistent separation from defenders.

Not Santonio or even Ward for that matter.

At this point we've got 2 #2s starting at WR imho.

I'd ultimately like to see Sweed and Wallace be good enough to replace them both.

flippy
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I realize that Sweed had a tough rookie season...kind of like Lawrence Timmons did...

But, make no mistake, Sweed is a good football player...he had a legitimate 1st round grade before an injury dropped him into round two...

I still vividly remember Sweed going airborne that fateful Saturday night at the horseshoe, coming down with the go ahead TD pass from Vince Young that doomed the Buckeyes...I hated him then, but I'm now glad that he's on my team...

I'm not surprised that there has been an adjustment period for Sweed...he came from a decidedly "not-pro-style" offense...

It is not uncommon for talented Steeler rookies to struggle...Troy Bustamalu, anyone?

Sweed will be a bad@$$ for the Steelers...no doubt in my mind...

there's Ricardo Cocolough too.

i've seen sweed run good routes, but his softness on a couple of occasions eerily reminded me of the way coke didn't like contact.

sweed did redeem himself with a nice block in the playoffs.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2009, 12:29 PM

Wow. I think we have two Super Bowl MVP's starting at WR.

stlrz d
05-07-2009, 12:42 PM

I'd ultimately like to see Sweed and Wallace be good enough to replace them both.

I gotta disagree with that. Holmes is emerging into a #1 receiver. He's averaging 52 catches a season after his first 3 seasons. That number will go up as we trend towards airing it out even more.

Once Ward is gone I'd like to see Holmes, Sweed and Wallace.

flippy
05-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Hines is past his prime. He'll practically admit it now. He's my favorite WR ever. As much as I love the guy, he's not in the same class of WR right now as the league's elite. I hope that pushes him to continue having success. I still believe he can be a 1000 yard / 12 TD WR.

Holmes had a great SuperBowl. Not sure he deserved the SB MVP over Ben, but he got it nonetheless so good for him. But how many games has he dominated like that?

And how often have we all complained about WRs not getting separation? It's still a problem.

I'm not trying to be critical of them here either. Just saying we don't have a dominant #1 WR.

Maybe Santonio can get there, but I'm not sure he has yet.

I want to see more consistency from him.

flippy
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM

I gotta disagree with that. Holmes is emerging into a #1 receiver. He's averaging 52 catches a season after his first 3 seasons. That number will go up as we trend towards airing it out even more.

Once Ward is gone I'd like to see Holmes, Sweed and Wallace.

Hope you're right.

I hope this is the break out year for Holmes.

He does have some work to get there.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Hines is past his prime. He'll practically admit it now. He's my favorite WR ever. As much as I love the guy, he's not in the same class of WR right now as the league's elite. I hope that pushes him to continue having success. I still believe he can be a 1000 yard / 12 TD WR.

Holmes had a great SuperBowl. Not sure he deserved the SB MVP over Ben, but he got it nonetheless so good for him. But how many games has he dominated like that?

And how often have we all complained about WRs not getting separation? It's still a problem.

I'm not trying to be critical of them here either. Just saying we don't have a dominant #1 WR.

Maybe Santonio can get there, but I'm not sure he has yet.

I want to see more consistency from him.

If you think Hines can get 1000+ yards and 12 TD's, then how is he already a #2 WR in your mind. How many teams have #2 WR's with that kind of production.

I would also like to see Holmes have more consistency over a full season. He's young, though. Hasn't entered his prime yet. But he has shown to be a money WR. He has a touchdown in every playoff game he has every played in (just like Woodley has two sacks in every playoff game he has ever played in).

Slapstick
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Hines had over 1,000 yards and 7 TDs last year....

If that's being past your prime, please sign me up!!!

Mel Blount's G
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM

If they make you forget they would be the "redemption receivers" and forever remove the stain associated with those numbers.
LOL! Great exchange there guys. "Redemption Receivers". Love it!! :lol:

Btw, great '09 Steeler WR discussion here. Some great points and insights. Good work gentlemen :tt1

flippy
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
To clarify the #2 comment, I'm thinking of a big time #1 WR that commands a double team - like Fitz, Moss, Calvin and Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Boldin, Plax, etc.

Hines and Santonio aren't that kind of WR.

They're solid, but they don't change a defense like top receivers of the game.

Hines is great. He's one of my all time favorites. And he's great in the redzone so he should put up TD numbers like the top guys.

But he doesn't command a double team.

Santonio's emerging, but needs to be more consistent.

At the end of the day, give a franchise QB a top WRs.

All the great QBs have some of the best WRs in the game.

Pittsburgh doesn't.

Slapstick
05-08-2009, 12:48 AM

Pittsburgh doesn't.

Yeah...they just have those two SB MVPs....

MeetJoeGreene
05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Who thinks that Holmes will re-sign w/ the Steelers when his rookie contract is up?

I don't.

For some reason, I think he will want A LOT more than the Steelers are willing to pay him.

Which could be why we continue to draft WR. (Sweed, Wallace).

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
To clarify the #2 comment, I'm thinking of a big time #1 WR that commands a double team - like Fitz, Moss, Calvin and Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Boldin, Plax, etc.

Hines and Santonio aren't that kind of WR.

They're solid, but they don't change a defense like top receivers of the game.

Hines is great. He's one of my all time favorites. And he's great in the redzone so he should put up TD numbers like the top guys.

But he doesn't command a double team.

Santonio's emerging, but needs to be more consistent.

At the end of the day, give a franchise QB a top WRs.

Pittsburgh doesn't.

I love Fitz, Calvin and Andre Johnson. They are elite. No question.

The others are certainly talented, but they each have an issue that I would worry about.

Moss is a cancer. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team. He stops trying when things don't go his way. I don't care how many TD's he catches in New England. I will not forget the Oakland years. His true colors were displayed right there and then.

Steve Smith is a head case. How many teammates did he punch out so far?

Boldin is an extremely tough receiver, possibly the closest to Hines that I have seen. My respect for him as a player, particularly coming back from a mid-season facial reconstruction, knows no bounds. But he is constantly pouting which is causing a distraction that could potentially rip his team apart just because he is not getting the same contract that Fitz got. News flash, Anquan...you are not a game-breaker like Fitz. You are a tough, reliable possession guy that teams would love to have, but that doesn't get you a yearly 8-figure salary in this league. Sorry, pal. That's the reason why no one traded for you during the draft, even though Arizona supposedly reduced their trade demands.

Plax is a moron. His stupidity stretches from spiking a live ball on the field to shooting himself in the d@mn leg in a NYC bar with an unlicensed loaded firearm that was being held in place with the elastic band of his sweatpants.

Mel Blount's G
05-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Pittsburgh doesn't.
I think that's debatable flip, if not an exageration.

Philip Rivers, arguably the top qb with the best rating last year, does not have receivers any better than ours (Gates>Miller is even debatable imo),

Drew Brees - Colston?

Rogers in GB ?

McNabb?

Young/Collins in Tenn?

Hasselback (prior to Douchemanzadah was it branch?)

I think some of the knocks on stonio are legit (consistency) but he got better as the year wore on I think and he may possibly shock you and step it up to the next level this year and become an elite receiver. Personally, I think he is one of the scariest WR's after the catch and also that he is much stronger than most people think.

True Fan
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Who thinks that Holmes will re-sign w/ the Steelers when his rookie contract is up?

I don't.

For some reason, I think he will want A LOT more than the Steelers are willing to pay him.

Unfortunately I agree.
the mast majority of the fans here think that players, either that are drafted or are picked up thru FA, will ultimately become 'steeler type' players that will fall in line and become model citizens because of tomlin and the veteran player guidance,and then take less money down the road to help the team, I dont think santonio will be one of those. Actually, i cant recall a single player(except kemo) that was in a postioin to make alot more money elsewhere but stayed in pittsburgh.

papillon
05-08-2009, 03:45 PM

I don't.

Unfortunately I agree.
the mast majority of the fans here think that players, either that are drafted or are picked up thru FA, will ultimately become 'steeler type' players that will fall in line and become model citizens because of tomlin and the veteran player guidance,and then take less money down the road to help the team, I dont think santonio will be one of those. Actually, i cant recall a single player(except kemo) that was in a postioin to make alot more money elsewhere but stayed in pittsburgh.

The Steelers typically make good solid offers to players (see James Harrison) and hope that they will stay. Now, when you get players like Polamalu and Roethlisberger you have to be sure to keep them and so they were paid for being in the top 5 at their position. I still think the Steelers got a steal with the Roethlisberger deal.

The Steelers won't low ball a player, they'll make an offer that is a win-win for both; if the player takes it great, if not, they move on. They'll do the same with Holmes. It's a 50/50 that he's a Steeler after his initial contract, IMHO.

Pappy

True Fan
05-08-2009, 04:50 PM

I don't.

Unfortunately I agree.

The Steelers typically make good solid offers to players (see James Harrison) and hope that they will stay. Now, when you get players like Polamalu and Roethlisberger you have to be sure to keep them and so they were paid for being in the top 5 at their position. I still think the Steelers got a steal with the Roethlisberger deal.

The Steelers won't low ball a player, they'll make an offer that is a win-win for both; if the player takes it great, if not, they move on. They'll do the same with Holmes. It's a 50/50 that he's a Steeler after his initial contract, IMHO.

Pappy

I totally agree Pap. I just have a feeling Santonio will overvalue himself and leave.

frankthetank1
05-08-2009, 08:05 PM

I don't.

Unfortunately I agree.

you mean a single player that was in a position to make a lot more money some where else because the steelers were not willing to over pay for players. they never do which is why they have a lot of success. neil odonnell got a big contract from the jets but he wasnt worth it. same with faneca or any other player that left to become a free agent. woodson is the only player that left that i wish they had kept looking back on it.