PDA

View Full Version : Bungholes==>Dump Levi and sign the Horse Collarer

Mel Blount's G
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4147302

Williams reunites with Zimmer

Free agent strong safety Roy Williams, recently released by the Dallas Cowboys, has agreed to a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Details of the contract, with the deal confirmed by the club, were not yet available. The contract, believed to be a short-term deal, reunites Williams with Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who held the same position for five seasons with the Cowboys.

Cincinnati coaches hope the addition of Williams will solve a long-standing problem in the middle of the secondary.

Williams, 28, was the Cowboys first-round pick in the 2002 draft, from Oklahoma.

The seven-year veteran was a fixture in Dallas' interior secondary until his release. He was named to five Pro Bowl teams and one All-Pro squad. During his career with the Cowboys, Williams had 611 tackles, 6 1/2 sacks, 19 interceptions and 56 passes defensed.

Blessed with the instincts of a safety and the hitting power of a linebacker, Williams was often a liability in pass coverage. He was at his best playing close to the line of scrimmage and was an effective defender versus the run. Zimmer knows Williams well and should be able to design a defense that emphasizes his strong points.

Williams had signed a $25 million contract extension in Dallas, which included an $11 million signing bonus. His departure, saved the Cowboys about $2 million in salary-cap room.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4146269

Bengals terminate Jones' contract

The Cincinnati Bengals terminated the contract of oft-injured left tackle Levi Jones, the team announced Wednesday.

The move was anticipated for weeks after the Bengals used their No. 6 overall pick on former Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith.

Jones, who was scheduled to make $3 million in 2009, was retained on the roster as insurance in case the team could not find a suitable replacement in the NFL draft.

Team officials had apprised Jones that they would attempt to trade him after selecting Smith. But the club found no viable suitors and, not surprisingly given his contract status, Jones was released, which makes him a free agent.

A former first-round pick in 2002, Jones was one of the top tackles in the NFL until knee and leg injuries hurt his production the past few seasons. He played in just 10 games last season as the Bengals finished 4-11-1.

Marvin Lewis says being successful in 2009 starts with getting through a tough division.
The former Arizona State star signed a six-year, $40 million contract extension in 2006. That extension ran through the 2012 season. The economics of the situation, with Cincinnati poised to pay out a major contract for Smith, was a factor in Jones' release. Jones was reportedly guaranteed $16.3 million as part of the extension.

Jones is still regarded as a very good pass-protection tackle.

"Levi is looking forward to the next phase of his professional career," his agent, Kenny Zuckerman said. "We will evaluate all of our options and find a good landing spot for Levi."

According to the Bengals, five teams has expressed interest in Jones.

Mel Blount's G
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Wonder who the other 4 teams are besides buffalo that are interested in levi?

I don't like the bungles signing williams. Yes, he is old, slow and terrible n pass coverage but he will bring some veteran maturity, experience and leadership to that backfield that I'd rather they be without. Though I hope to see him try and cover Wallace, Sweed or s'tonio over the top

And wow, I mean total wow. Levi was gonna make 3 mil this year. Hurts me to compare that to Starks 8 mil :cry:

Mel Blount's G
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Also from today's news: Pats lost a third rnd pick for the year to a torn ACL. I hate the ***'s and all but I don't wish that sh!t on anybody

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4146848

Report: McKenzie has torn ACL

New England Patriots rookie linebacker Tyrone McKenzie is out for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee, which he injured during minicamp, The Boston Globe reported, citing a source close to McKenzie.

McKenzie, a third-round draft pick, was injured during a one-on-one coverage drill during the first of two sessions on Saturday, according to the report. He walked off the field and watched the rest of practice from the sideline, but was not in attendance for the second session.
McKenzie, who was drafted from South Florida, had misfortune during his college career as well, when a car accident involving his mother forced him to leave USF and get a job at a hotel to take care of his family, the newspaper reported.

Jom112
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Levi was a necessary release. $3 Mil isn't a big number to keep on the roster but the former top 10 draft pick wasn't going to be happy playing backup. Similar to why you guys waived Foote. Although Foote actually has knees he can play on.

As for Roy, it's a good signing IMHO. I've definitely made my share of Roy Williams jokes over the years and loved watching WR's toast him (Thank god we don't have to play Santana Moss anytime soon). But at the SS position we have Ndukwe and really no one else. We released Mike Doss and Kyries Hebert is a special teams ace but not the best SS.

I love seeing this team add depth for a change...

calmkiller
05-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Also from today's news: Pats lost a third rnd pick for the year to a torn ACL. I hate the ***'s and all but I don't wish that sh!t on anybody

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4146848

Report: McKenzie has torn ACL

New England Patriots rookie linebacker Tyrone McKenzie is out for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee, which he injured during minicamp, The Boston Globe reported, citing a source close to McKenzie.

McKenzie, a third-round draft pick, was injured during a one-on-one coverage drill during the first of two sessions on Saturday, according to the report. He walked off the field and watched the rest of practice from the sideline, but was not in attendance for the second session.
McKenzie, who was drafted from South Florida, had misfortune during his college career as well, when a car accident involving his mother forced him to leave USF and get a job at a hotel to take care of his family, the newspaper reported.

if only we had held on to Foote for another couple days...

NKySteeler
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Levi was expected... At least from all the sports talk radio commentary/news around here. Too much $$$....

... Personally, I think it was a good signing by the Bengals in Williams... Strengthens, or at least adds depth to thier secondary... Add the good draft they had, and they might (stress the word might) be able to do something... Marvin and the coaching staff is the key for them this year. .... If they get thier act together, they could be formidable as an opponent.

Mel Blount's G
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
More bungal action. Looks to be another good move imo.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4149517

Bengals trade Harris for Leonard

By John Clayton

The Bengals have acquired Rams fullback Brian Leonard for defensive tackle Orien Harris.

Leonard, 25, was a second-round pick of the Rams in 2007. He started seven games as a rookie but only played two games last season and didn't have a start.

Leonard could be a good fit for the Bengals because he can be a pass-catching fullback and a backup running back.

Plus, he is considered a good character player and someone who could work well with quarterback Carson Palmer. Leonard is a 6-foot-1, 229-pounder who played at Rutgers.

The 6-3, 300-pound Harris will be joining his sixth team. He was a fourth-round choice of the Steelers in 2006. He has been with the Browns, Bills, Saints and Bengals. He has started one game in his NFL career.

SteelCzar76
05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
The only thing that peaks any interest on my part about either of these moves is the signing of Roy Williams. Not because he's anything to worry about in coverage,...but the guy is potentially the catalyst for a Steeler ligament injury every time we play them.(Bungals)

Especially if you take into consideration the physical mindset that defines our division and henceforth possibly a new chip on his shoulder in terms of proving his own personal physicality and or toughness.

NorthCoast
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Concerned about the Williams signing. For the most part, safeties in our division were cupcakes when it comes to tackling. This has led to longevity of our WRs. Williams can hit like a ton of bricks (when he actually does make the tackle). This could mean more injuries to our WRs, especially Hines in the slot. We think we have depth at WR, but I could see where we could get real thin, real quick. I don't think Tone has played a full season since starting, and Ward is banged up with a shoulder. Glad we picked up McDonald cause I think he will get some PT this season.

steelers43
05-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I'd love to see what Levi can do with a different and hopefully improved strength program.

A better program can go a long way to keeping knees healthy.

Jom112
05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I'd love to see what Levi can do with a different and hopefully improved strength program.

A better program can go a long way to keeping knees healthy.

Our medical staff does blow. Willie and Levi were both victims of it. I hope Levi can regain some of his old form elsewhere, but I don't see it happening.

It's been going on for a long time. It started in 2003 when he came back to play only six days after knee surgery. That was crazy, someone on the team should have stopped him from coming back that soon...

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Concerned about the Williams signing. For the most part, safeties in our division were cupcakes when it comes to tackling. This has led to longevity of our WRs. Williams can hit like a ton of bricks (when he actually does make the tackle). This could mean more injuries to our WRs, especially Hines in the slot. We think we have depth at WR, but I could see where we could get real thin, real quick. I don't think Tone has played a full season since starting, and Ward is banged up with a shoulder. Glad we picked up McDonald cause I think he will get some PT this season.

Luckily, the WR's can just run right by Williams with minimal effort, since he could not cover Casey Hampton at this point.

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
In other Bungle-related news, their #6 overall pick is really displaying his improved maturity:

Posted: Wednesday May 13, 2009 11:28AM
Updated: Wednesday May 13, 2009 1:15PM

Cincinnati Bengals rookie Andre Smith plans to rehire fired agent

By Jim Trotter, SI.com

Two days after firing his second set of representatives, Bengals offensive tackle Andre Smith has decided to return to Priority Sports.

A source close to Smith said the sixth pick in this year's draft will submit paperwork today restoring Priority Sports as his representation. This comes two days after he filed paperwork with the Players Association terminating his agreement with the company.

The union requires a five-day cooling off period after termination papers are filed. During that time a player is prohibited from signing with another agent. However, a union representative said the five-day period does not apply to the terminated party, therefore Smith can re-sign with Priority immediately.

There had been speculation that Smith would re-sign with his initial agent, Alvin Keels, but the source said Smith has decided to return to Rick Smith and Priority Sports.

The change of heart is the latest incident that calls into question Smith's maturity. He was suspended for the Sugar Bowl after a member of his family allegedly had improper contact with an agent, and last February he was criticized when he left the Scouting Combine without notifying organizers.

Rick Smith of Priority Sports had no comment when reached this morning. Andre Smith could not be reached for comment.

Andre Smith has the talent to be dominant, but I think he will be a Tony Mandarich level bust at this point. Getting suspended for his Bowl Game, walking out on the Combine, grossing out scouts by running with his shirt off at his Pro Day, firing two agents within a few weeks of the draft, etc.

They could have had Eugene Monroe instead, who may not have the raw talent of the elite Orlando Pace/Jonathan Ogden/Walter Jones types, but Monroe could still be a solid tackle in the Jordan Gross/Jamaal Brown/Tra Thomas mold.

Mel Blount's G
05-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I love it. I hope this rook's head suffers from excessive gigantasism, greed and that he learns maturity, proper attitude and how to be a team player from the likes of their classy WRs', blowcho stinko and p!ss henry

Jom112
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
In other Bungle-related news, their #6 overall pick is really displaying his improved maturity:

Andre Smith has the talent to be dominant, but I think he will be a Tony Mandarich level bust at this point. Getting suspended for his Bowl Game, walking out on the Combine, grossing out scouts by running with his shirt off at his Pro Day, firing two agents within a few weeks of the draft, etc.

They could have had Eugene Monroe instead, who may not have the raw talent of the elite Orlando Pace/Jonathan Ogden/Walter Jones types, but Monroe could still be a solid tackle in the Jordan Gross/Jamaal Brown/Tra Thomas mold.

Tony Mandarich level bust? Come on even you can't believe that?

At worst I think he'll be a Robert Gallery bust, where he can't play LT but can do well at another position on the O-Line like Guard or RT. Personally I think we should start him off at RT because him and Bobbie Williams could form a very good run blocking right side...

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2009, 09:22 AM

Tony Mandarich level bust? Come on even you can't believe that?

At worst I think he'll be a Robert Gallery bust, where he can't play LT but can do well at another position on the O-Line like Guard or RT. Personally I think we should start him off at RT because him and Bobbie Williams could form a very good run blocking right side...

Well, since Mandarich's problems were with steroid use, I can't say that Andre will follow the exact same path (we all have seen him with his shirt off...his issues have more to do with Krispy Kreme than dianabol). By the way, Mandarich also had a comeback with the Colts at guard five years after flaming out with the Packers at tackle, and he did much better as an interior lineman, just like Gallery.

I'm just saying that every year, there are several busts among the people drafted in the top 10, and right now, the most likely candidates seem to be Smith (because of his apparant immaturity and instability...not his talent) and Hayward-Bey (because no one on the planet other than Al Davis would have drafted that guy in the top 10).