PDA

View Full Version : Champoins League Semis

snarky
05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
anybody watching these? TBH, I found the first three games a bit dry. Yesterdays would have been compelling if it had been the first leg of the tie. And Ronaldo's second goal was really nice (even though I can't really stand the guy).

I don't think Chelsea will get through this afternoon. Not ruling it out but if I was betting I would bet against them.

snarky
05-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Essien at nine minutes. Beautiful volley.

papillon
05-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Essien at nine minutes. Beautiful volley.

Barca rules! Iniesta is one of the most underrated players in Europe. IMHO.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
OMG...ESSIEN goal was outstanding...I could not believe my eyes. It reminded me of Zidane's full volley from roughly same distance several years ago. Beatiful.

I'm down with United so definitely excited for the 27th. Going to take half day off work and head to the Pub. Been there the last 3 years for Champs. League Final and its always rowdy and fun in there. Can't wait.

Barca is definitely a good opponent, I'm kinda glad they managed to win that game, as lucky as it was. But the ref hosed Chelsea in all honesty. Pique definitely hit the ball with his entire hand in the box on that one play. All the other non calls (trips in box, the shoulder ball on Chelsea's last ditch effort) were marginal and I lean towards being correctly ruled.

Ha, I thought Ballack was going to powerbomb the ref while running up the field chasing him.

buckeyehoppy
05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Haven't seen any of the Champions League games, but plan on watching Barca v. Man U in the finals.

Man U has been the class of the EPL this season. Barca should pose a challenge for them if they can get Henry back, although they will miss Alves. Van der Sar is a beast in the GK shirt, though, so it may not matter what Barca brings.

However, Barca is a club on the rise. This should be a good final with a wily veteran Man U club and upstart FC Barca.

snarky
05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Ballack is a disgrace. He was a disgrace in the Euro final and was just as bad last night. I won't shed a tear when he's gone from the game.

Both goals yesterday were class. Essien's was, as you say Shiek, beautiful. I'm not sure how much he knew about where it was going -- but who cares if you can get a full volley on the frame like that, you deserve the goal.

I'm not sure how I feel about the away goals rule after yesterday (and watching the first legs). I can't say it does much for the neutral.

Iron Shiek
05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
You can throw Drogba into that pile of players that need to go. He is very skilled and while he has a rep for diving, that's not what bothers me about him, because everyone pretty much dives these days. Its the fact that he expects the ref to whistle every bit of contact, incidental and otherwise, and practically blows up and cries like a baby when the call doesn't come. Ronaldo dives alot too, but to me, he doesn't cry for calls like Drogba...

snarky
05-08-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJH-MNWDME

(forgot how to embed video again -- but this is great).

Discipline of Steel
05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
When are the finals going to be on and what channel? I would like to see this one...

snarky
05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I think the finals are the 27th and it will be on ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNC at 2:30PM. They usually replay it at 5:30 also.

If that doesn't work, just avoid the news and try for espn360.com where you can watch it on delay.

Discipline of Steel
05-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Im going out to play in a couple hours. I play like a middle linebacker but got only one yellow card last season. Soccer is an awesome sport!

MeetJoeGreene
05-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Im going out to play in a couple hours. I play like a middle linebacker but got only one yellow card last season. Soccer is an awesome sport!

aaahhh. Soccer. I had no clue what this thread was about.

Iron Shiek
05-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I think the finals are the 27th and it will be on ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNC at 2:30PM. They usually replay it at 5:30 also.

If that doesn't work, just avoid the news and try for espn360.com where you can watch it on delay.

Very disappointed in United's showing yesterday. That was a terrible game. Barca didn't do anything all that spectacular but did everything soundly. 2 big defensive blunders for MU defense, and it ruined them.

Jigawatts
05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Shiek, I don't know if you go to many Crew games, but I'll possibly be in town for a game on
June 27th versus the Red Bulls. Still waiting to see if my buddies wife come through with
the free tickets though.... :Cheers

snarky
05-29-2009, 10:54 AM
For me this was sort of a "you make your own luck" result. I thought Barca controlled the game and deserved the win. Pujol (sp?) was a beast.

Iron Shiek
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
No doubt snarky...i'm not blaming anyone or saying Barca got lucky. They definitely were the better side and deserved to win. United picked the wrong day to have one of their worst showings...

Jiga: That would be outstanding...I'd love to meet up at a Crew game...I try to get out there a couple times a year. Unfortunately the 27th I am in this huge cornhole tournament with $$$ and heavy drinking involved...

Jigawatts
06-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Jiga: That would be outstanding...I'd love to meet up at a Crew game...I try to get out there a couple times a year. Unfortunately the 27th I am in this huge cornhole tournament with $$$ and heavy drinking involved...

Any recommendations on a decent place to stay with some nightlife happenings around
there? We were going to stay at the holiday inn express near the stadium, but from what
I hear it's not so nice. I'm thinking about hitting up priceline or hotwire to see if I can get
something decent around the downtown area for around $100. But I'm not sure what kind
of pre/post game activities there are in the area.

I'll let you know if I get some tickets for another game at another time.

Good luck with your cornhole. :lol:

Iron Shiek
06-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah...arena district is nice...its about 15 minutes away (depending on traffic could be longer) from stadium. But the stadium is also close to campus and there are a few nice establishments there.

I'm not sure where this is, but check out Claddaugh's. Its an Irish pub, definitely the pre/post game place to go (its a soccer pub for sure)...i think its downtown in brewery district And from what I hear they may even have shuttle to and from stadium...but not positive if its for all games.

If you find a lodging close to that bar , go there pre game, shuttle, watch game, shuttle back, go out downtown (Park Street Patio, Brothers...even Frog Bear Wild Boar right next to hockey arena), you will have an outstanding night.

Jigawatts
06-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure where this is, but check out Claddaugh's.

Yeah, my brother-in-law was telling me about that place. He went there for the Mexico
USA match. Said it's awesome. I can always go for a few Guinness's, so I'm making
Claddaugh's my top priority.

http://www.alexpetrache.ro/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/guinness-is-good-for-you.jpg

papillon
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
No doubt snarky...i'm not blaming anyone or saying Barca got lucky. They definitely were the better side and deserved to win. United picked the wrong day to have one of their worst showings...

Just to throw my two cents in on the Barca vs ManU game. ManU played bad in part and mostly because of Barca. The Barca back line (except for the first 8-10 minutes of the game were outstanding. I also don't understand putting Rooney at right midfield rather than up top, but, certainly, Sir Alex knows his team better than I do.

Barca also probably has the best combo in the center midfield with Xavi and Iniesta. I don't think you'll find two better on one team, IMHO.

Pappy