PDA

View Full Version : Foote, Lions agree to deal

SteelCrazy
05-06-2009, 01:04 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09126/968002-66.stm

Linebacker Larry Foote, who forced his way out of the Steelers, has agreed to a one-year contract with his hometown team, the Detroit Lions.

Foote told The Associated Press that terms of the deal were reached last night and he planned to sign the contract today. "I'm excited because it's a fresh start for me," Foote said in a telephone interview with the AP. "It's a one-year deal to show my talents, and hopefully end up signing a long-term deal after showing the Lions and their new coaching staff what I can do."

Foote had one year left on his contract with the Steelers at a salary of $2,885,000 but believed he would lose the starting inside linebacker job he has held the past five years to Lawrence Timmons.

First published on May 6, 2009 at 12:33 am

frankthetank1
05-06-2009, 07:01 AM
it must be tough going from the best team to the worst. at least he is from michigan though

costanza2k1
05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I understand Foote's logic here. I believe it's a risky one. He's going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and expects to shine right out of the bat. Hopefully he doesn't get injured. In my opinion he should've tried to get paid when he could've instead of going for the bank after a risky 1 year deal. He will be 30 after all when his deal is up. This will be an interesting one to watch. I respect everything the man has done for us and hope he doesn't end up being a journeyman playing for a ton of teams.

Good luck Foote, you are the enemy now ( a sorry one at that ).

Chachi
05-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I understand Foote's logic here. I believe it's a risky one. He's going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and expects to shine right out of the bat.

Makes me wonder if Larry paid any attention to Joey's 2007 numbers in Miami.......somehow I doubt he did.

Too bad, might have helped a bit....

Uncle Rico
05-06-2009, 08:05 AM
From the penthouse to the outhouse.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't think we can be too upset about losing this guy as it seems that he has entered semi-retirement.

birtikidis
05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
he's going the way of earl holmes....sad

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
After Colbert taking so many Lions players over the years, we occassionally have a send a few of them back.

Oviedo
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I understand Foote's logic here. I believe it's a risky one. He's going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and expects to shine right out of the bat. Hopefully he doesn't get injured. In my opinion he should've tried to get paid when he could've instead of going for the bank after a risky 1 year deal. He will be 30 after all when his deal is up. This will be an interesting one to watch. I respect everything the man has done for us and hope he doesn't end up being a journeyman playing for a ton of teams.

He will become a journeyman. It's not like he is going to be an All Pro player ever. The best he could hope for is that the Lions decide to keep him around if not he will get a two year deal for less than he thinks. No one is going to sign him for a big contract as a 30 year old average LB.

stlrz d
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm curious to hear what the money will be. He said the Lions made him an offer and he was going to have to "think about it all night" then, a few hours later breaks the story that he agreed to the deal.

aggiebones
05-06-2009, 11:15 AM
he was getting cut anyway. I was irritated with him about some comments he made and possibly hurting our chance to trade him, but likely he was just getting cut anyway. Good luck to the Foote. Once a Steeler...

True Fan
05-06-2009, 03:07 PM
i hope you go 0-16 larry

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
i hope you go 0-16 larry

I hope he goes 3-13 (beating the Ravens, Bengals, and Browns)

:ratsuck :bungalssuck :brownssuck

Steel Life
05-07-2009, 12:28 AM
He got what he wanted & frankly I'm glad...this team doesn't need any distractions or guys putting their concerns ahead of the team's.

I think the top back-up ILB isn't on the team yet...look for some veteran FA pick-up after June 1st.

Chadman
05-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Good on him.

He could have done the easy thing & lounged on the bench while earning $3 million- instead he goes to a struggling team & becomes a starter for most likely much less than his Steeler contract.

He obviously wants to PLAY- not watch football. If he was going intro 'semi retirement' as some suggest- he'd stay a Steelers back-up for a bucket load of cash.

Chadman hopes he kicks butt & we see a turn-around in the Detroit Lions.

Just so long as it doesn't effect the Steelers, that is...

Good luck Larry Foote. He's the sort of guy Chadman likes to cheer on.