PDA

View Full Version : Rule bearing name amuses Steelers' Ward

fordfixer
05-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Rule bearing name amuses Steelers' Ward

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 23795.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_623795.html)

Ask Hines Ward about the so-called "Hines Ward" rule, and the Steelers' wide receiver chuckles.

"It's a big honor, because it's kind of weird how you can make an impact on the game," Ward said. "At the same time, I'm not going to change my game based off a rule, because coach (Mike) Tomlin said just keep continuing playing the way you are. I'm going to continue being the fierce wideout going out there and blocking guys and continue to make plays."

The NFL is trying to eliminate the kind of blocks that have become Ward signatures and made him a YouTube sensation. In March, the league adopted a rule change that makes it illegal for a blocker to use his helmet, forearm or shoulder to hit a defender from behind or from the side.

The Steelers were the only team to vote against the new rule. Team president Art Rooney II has said the Steelers opposed the change because it is a judgment call and places added responsibilities on referees.

Ward looks at the new rule with amusement. Or is that bemusement?

Ward, after all, can't wonder if there is a double standard at work with a rule that was passed in the interest of player safety.

"It's kind of funny because week in and week out, that's all we see is highlights of somebody getting blown up by a defensive player," Ward said. "In my case it's shunned or doesn't look good or makes me a dirty player. I don't do anything different than what they do to offensive players."

When asked if he thinks the league targeted him with the new rule, Ward said, "How many (other) wideouts do you know going out there and attacking defensive guys like defensive guys attack the offensive guys?"

Ward's attacking style ended the season of Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers last October.

He made a crack-back block while Rivers was in pursuit of Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth. The jarring hit broke Rivers' jaw, and the Bengals later placed Rivers on injured reserve.

Ward's downfield blocking has drawn the ire of opposing players, most notably former Ravens linebacker Bart Scott.

Ward wiped out Scott with a blindside block in November 2007. After the game Scott, who now plays for the New York Jets, threatened Ward.

"Defensive players, they hate it," Ward said of his playing style. "I don't know why they hate it, because when I go across the middle they can't wait to take my head off, so why should I wait my turn to get hit before I retaliate?

"I take the approach of I'm doing whatever it takes to win. If I get a shot on you, I'm going to take it just like if they get a shot on me they're going to take it. I understand you have to protect players and all of that, and I don't approach the game to try to hurt people. That's never been my style."

Ward, who recently signed a five-year contract with the Steelers, reiterated that he won't change how he plays the game. His aggressiveness as a blocker has long epitomized the Steelers' hard-nosed, blue-collar brand of football.

"He embodies what's important to us as far as how he approaches the game," Tomlin said. "He's a football player first and a wide receiver second."

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
The rule is rediculous! How many times does a guy with the ball get hit by a defender they don't see coming? As long as it isn't to the head the block should be legal. If I was playing the game now under the new rule....You would see one of my patented flying a s s blocks. After the league sees a couple of them they will outlaw them next year! Light it up Ward...I'm behind ya!!!

Uncle Rico
05-06-2009, 08:15 AM
The No Fun League strikes again. :roll:

AngryAsian
05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Soon we'll have a football team whose colors are Pink and Lavender. Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't love and respect Ward's passion for the game and how he approaches it is not a real football fan. His kind of play only makes me swell up with pride that he's a career Steeler guy. He's Ronnie Lott on offense and the league crucifies him for it. LAME!

Oviedo
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
The unfortunate effect of this rule is that anytime Hines, or any other Steelers WR, throws a hard downfield block that knocks a player on their butt it will almost be a guaranteed penalty whether his helmet touches anyone or not.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-06-2009, 10:10 AM
What is really new here?

It was never legal to hit from behind, so that part of the "new" rule is not so new.

Leading with a forearm or helmet, wasn't that also illegal prior to this rule?

I think that the biggest impact here is going to be where the refs decide to define "the side". If a player come from the side and hits just barely towards the front half of the body shoulder to shoulder, is that legal or not?

Most of this new rule is nothing new. It is just put in there to appease the vocal minority who seem to whine at any opportunity.

MeetJoeGreene
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
If I had a rule like this named after me, I would be an equal combination of ticked off (that there is a rule now) and totally psyched (that my name would live in infamy with a rule name).

stlrz d
05-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Soon we'll have a football team whose colors are Pink and Lavender. Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't love and respect Ward's passion for the game and how he approaches it is not a real football fan. His kind of play only makes me swell up with pride that he's a career Steeler guy. He's Ronnie Lott on offense and the league crucifies him for it. LAME!

There's an idiot on the Rats forum (Larry Foote thread) who said he hates Hines so much he wishes his mother would be raped. Very, very indicative of that fan base.

What is really new here?

It was never legal to hit from behind, so that part of the "new" rule is not so new.

I think that the biggest impact here is going to be where the refs decide to define "the side". If a player come from the side and hits just barely towards the front half of the body shoulder to shoulder, is that legal or not?

Most of this new rule is nothing new. It is just put in there to appease the vocal minority who seem to whine at any opportunity.

I don't think leading with a forearm was illegal as long as it wasn't to the head. I'm not sure on that, but I don't recall it ever being called before...as long as it wasn't to the head.

aggiebones
05-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Eh, it will cost him about $100K in fines, but maybe that's why they redid his deal, to add that money back in advance.
I think he should be grandfathered against this rule and should be allowed to continue wrecking havoc.
I like the offensive Ronnie Lott moniker. Or is Ronnie the defensive Ward?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-06-2009, 01:50 PM
What is really new here?

These were :?: s I had also.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
The unfortunate effect of this rule is that anytime Hines, or any other Steelers WR, throws a hard downfield block that knocks a player on their butt it will almost be a guaranteed penalty whether his helmet touches anyone or not.

Anyone know if this is going to be reviewable?

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 01:54 PM

I don't believe that any penalty calls are reviewable, so I would have to say no.

Jigawatts
05-06-2009, 02:05 PM

I don't believe that any penalty calls are reviewable, so I would have to say no.

I believe some plays are reviewable if your name is Bill Belichick.

I think there was one involving too many players on the field that went in the Pats*
favor after the review.

This one, however, won't be reviewable. Just another stupid game altering rule that
officials will call or not call whenever they feel like it.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 03:09 PM

I believe some plays are reviewable if your name is Bill Belichick.

I think there was one involving too many players on the field that went in the Pats*
favor after the review.

This one, however, won't be reviewable. Just another stupid game altering rule that
officials will call or not call whenever they feel like it.

Bill Cowher tried that once. But instead of throwing a red flag, he stuffed a photo showing the number of players on the field in the ref's pocket. One of my all-time favorite Cowher moments.

Jigawatts
05-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Bill Cowher tried that once. But instead of throwing a red flag, he stuffed a photo showing the number of players on the field in the ref's pocket. One of my all-time favorite Cowher moments.

This is interesting:

McCarter was the referee in a regular season game between the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers on September 24, 1995. Just before halftime on a Minnesota field goal attempt, line judge Ben Montgomery called a penalty on Pittsburgh for having 12 players on the field, a violation of the rules. Minnesota was able to score a field goal as a result of the penalty. Pittsburgh head coach Bill Cowher counted 11 players on the field, and in disgust, printed a photo to prove that 11 players were on the field. At halftime, Cowher ran by McCarter as they were going to the locker room and shoved a photo in McCarter's shirt pocket to show the referee the evidence. League rules did not allow using photographic evidence to overturn calls. The NFL later agreed that the officials miscalculated the number of Pittsburgh players on the field and fined both McCarter and Montgomery a game's pay, $4,009 and $2,826 respectively. According to the Wall Street Journal, these were the largest fines ever for an American sports official [2]. Cowher also was fined $7,500 for his actions.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 04:00 PM

This is interesting:

McCarter was the referee in a regular season game between the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers on September 24, 1995. Just before halftime on a Minnesota field goal attempt, line judge Ben Montgomery called a penalty on Pittsburgh for having 12 players on the field, a violation of the rules. Minnesota was able to score a field goal as a result of the penalty. Pittsburgh head coach Bill Cowher counted 11 players on the field, and in disgust, printed a photo to prove that 11 players were on the field. At halftime, Cowher ran by McCarter as they were going to the locker room and shoved a photo in McCarter's shirt pocket to show the referee the evidence. League rules did not allow using photographic evidence to overturn calls. The NFL later agreed that the officials miscalculated the number of Pittsburgh players on the field and fined both McCarter and Montgomery a game's pay, $4,009 and $2,826 respectively. According to the Wall Street Journal, these were the largest fines ever for an American sports official [2]. Cowher also was fined $7,500 for his actions.

You can't blame them. They only have 10 fingers, and were wearing shoes at the time, so they could not use their toes for countin'. :P

NorthCoast
06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
They call it the Hines Ward Rule but I have to say that Ryan Clark also must have given the league pause. Those of you with game tapes go back and watch the hit on Welker against NE and especially the hit on McGahee that put him out of game in the championship game. By the definition here, that hit would have been a penalty.

stlrz d
06-14-2009, 10:11 PM
They call it the Hines Ward Rule but I have to say that Ryan Clark also must have given the league pause. Those of you with game tapes go back and watch the hit on Welker against NE and especially the hit on McGahee that put him out of game in the championship game. By the definition here, that hit would have been a penalty.

The hit on Welker would be, but the hit on McGahee wouldn't. He catches the ball, takes two steps, sees Clark coming and ducks. The ducking caused the H to H contact.

proudpittsburgher
06-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Don't worry guys, the league will crack down hard, but you can watch all of the big steeler hits again when they pimp the newest "jacked up" video, by NFL films. Fargin hypocrits.

Jooser
06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
When are they going to make the James Harrison rule official? Last year, the league implemented a silent rule to protect QB's. They blatantly allowed teams playing the Steelers to hold James Harrison every pass play so that the opposing team's QB would survive. Has the league announced it's official implementation yet? Goodell can Suck IT!

ramblinjim
06-15-2009, 09:37 AM
When are they going to make the James Harrison rule official? Last year, the league implemented a silent rule to protect QB's. They blatantly allowed teams playing the Steelers to hold James Harrison every pass play so that the opposing team's QB would survive. Has the league announced it's official implementation yet? Goodell can Suck IT!

Nice, I thought about going here too. You beat me to it.

stlrz d
06-15-2009, 07:50 PM

We notice it more with the Steelers because we watch all of their games, but if you watch other games you'll see it happening in them too. It's a league wide thing and it's farking disgusting!

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2009, 08:37 PM

We notice it more with the Steelers because we watch all of their games, but if you watch other games you'll see it happening in them too. It's a league wide thing and it's farking disgusting!

Well then Coach Perv better start teaching our much-maligned o-line about how to legally hold like everyone else does!

Jooser
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM

Well then Coach Perv better start teaching our much-maligned o-line about how to legally hold like everyone else does!

REVEREND!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/jonescru/blazing_saddles/blazing17.gif http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/jonescru/blazing_saddles/blazing04.gif