PDA

View Full Version : Wes Bunting on Ziggy Hood

PSU_dropout43
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
DE Evander Hood, Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers needed to add more youth to their defensive front three, and Hood does have the ability to develop into a solid five-technique end. However, I think itís a real waste of the kidís talent asking him to eat up blockers and allow others around him to make plays. Heís a sudden, penetrating tackle who is ideally suited to play the three-technique. He was a good value at pick No. 32 for the Steelers, but I donít think heíll be able to reach his maximum potential in a 3-4 scheme.

:HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Who is Wes Bunting?

He does realize that Hood can (and will) be moved inside to DT in a 4 man front in nickel and dime passing situations to rush the passer, right?

Mel Blount's G
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
PSU dropout? :wft

Flasteel
05-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Having explosion is a good thing whether he is lined up in a 5 or 3 technique. If he's able to beat his man of the snap and has the moves to disengage from the OT, Hood should be able to apply pressure from the DE spot, which is an added bonus. Maybe he'll command more of a double team or force teams to keep a back or TE in to help. It doesn't really matter if his talent gets him to the quarterback or allows others a chance to apply pressure. As long as he has the base to be able to hold the point of attack in the run game, we're good to go.

feelthesteel
05-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Punt his ass outta here

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
So, taking on two blocks is a bad thing because it will free up others to make the tackles? The only way this is a bad thing is if Hood is more interested in his own numbers than wins.

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 11:13 PM
So, taking on two blocks is a bad thing because it will free up others to make the tackles? The only way this is a bad thing is if Hood is more interested in his own numbers than wins.

...and there has been nothing Hood has said that would lead me to belive that...

Hell, there has been nothing written about Hood that would lead me to believe that he is anything other than a consummate teammate...

So, apparently, it's a win-win situation...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I would disagree with that. The design of the front 3 in a 3-4 is to keep the LBs clean to make plays in the run game...That I would agree with. But where Hood will make his mark is giving the Steelers something they haven't had since Ray Seals. A DE how will get penetration in the pass rush. He is size perfectly right now for a DE and plays fast at that weight. I would be more comfortable with projecting him to a 5 than 3 with his athleticism. I think he can play both but with the history of Steeler OLBs, I think any DC would be worried about leaving an OL 1-on-1 with Hood with a guy like Harrison or Woodley lined up outside him in a passing situation. Hood's quick inside penetration will make anyone blocking the OLB look like a swinging gate. It will give the OLB alot of room to work with and Hood's penetration will make the QB drift outside or deeper into the OLB rushing lane. Money!

stlrz d
05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
I would disagree with that. The design of the front 3 in a 3-4 is to keep the LBs clean to make plays in the run game...That I would agree with. But where Hood will make his mark is giving the Steelers something they haven't had since Ray Seals. A DE how will get penetration in the pass rush. He is size perfectly right now for a DE and plays fast at that weight. I would be more comfortable with projecting him to a 5 than 3 with his athleticism. I think he can play both but with the history of Steeler OLBs, I think any DC would be worried about leaving an OL 1-on-1 with Hood with a guy like Harrison or Woodley lined up outside him in a passing situation. Hood's quick inside penetration will make anyone blocking the OLB look like a swinging gate. It will give the OLB alot of room to work with and Hood's penetration will make the QB drift outside or deeper into the OLB rushing lane. Money!

Good comparison!

But of course the mention of that name ALWAYS makes me think of this song:

[youtube:3d2ex8dl]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Fd-EpK2zUc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Fd-EpK2zUc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:3d2ex8dl]

anger 82&amp;95
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I believe Hood was drafted due to his level of maturity regarding the concept of collective talent, and his recognition of role fulfillment as it pertains to team earned championships.

Oviedo
05-06-2009, 11:11 AM

I agree. Getting penetration is the most effective way to blow up a play no matter whether you are playing 3 or 5 technique.

Big benficiaries of this will be Harrision and Woodley since Hood will have to be accounted for. However perhaps the very biggest benficiary will be Timmons from the ILB position on the inside blitz as a Guard slides over to help the OT. Timmons could have a monster season. Of course Hood has to produce on his potential for any of this to be an issue.

feelthesteel
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
penetration thats a good thing

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
penetration thats a good thing

That's what she said. :Boobs :P

MeetJoeGreene
05-06-2009, 01:00 PM

...and there has been nothing Hood has said that would lead me to belive that...

Hell, there has been nothing written about Hood that would lead me to believe that he is anything other than a consummate teammate...

$$$ on both of those points.

papillon
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM

:Bow Sometimes logic knows no bounds! :Bow

And, here's a :tt2 to Ziggy and a successful rookie campaign.

Pappy

PSU_dropout43
05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
PSU dropout? :wft

Mary Jane. :D