PDA

View Full Version : Dangerously thin at ILB

steelblood
05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
If we need to rely on Key Fox to play for Farrior or Timmons for an extended period, we are going to be in trouble. I guess they are working in some rookie UDFAs and that special teams player and OLB from last year (woods I believe) at the position. I also think that Arnold Harrison has taken some reps inside. Still, it is a huge drop off after our starters.

It is likely that we'll keep four ILBs on the roster and 8-9 LBs total.

Anybody have any insight on who might be the other backup at ILB? Do any of our UDFAs have potential?

ikestops85
05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
If we need to rely on Key Fox to play for Farrior or Timmons for an extended period, we are going to be in trouble. I guess they are working in some rookie UDFAs and that special teams player and OLB from last year (woods I believe) at the position. I also think that Arnold Harrison has taken some reps inside. Still, it is a huge drop off after our starters.

Anybody have any insight on who might be the other backup at ILB? Do any of our UDFAs have potential?
I'm really not worried about it. I'm more worried if we lose an OLB. We don't have a backup there that can pressure the QB and if we don't pressure the QB our pass defense tends to get shredded. Fox has been able to do whatever the Steelers ask of him. He is a beast on special teams and when he does get into games he seems to make plays. He reminds me a lot of a certain guy who was named the Defensive MVP of the league last year in that when they get on the field they make things happen.

steelernation77
05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Bruce Davis is a pass-rushing OLB, he may not be proven yet, but it is certainly why they drafted him.

Northern_Blitz
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Bruce Davis is a pass-rushing OLB, he may not be proven yet, but it is certainly why they drafted him.

We could also move Timmons to OLB and put Fox at ILB. Depends on whether the Coaches have more confidence in Fox at ILB or Davis at OLB. Timmons' flexibility helps us there.

Mel Blount's G
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
How do you know that K-Fox can't be an adequate back up at ILB?

Does Bailey have any experience at the inside LB?

Btw, here's an interesting quote from linebacker coach Keith Butler after the 2008 draft regarding Bruce Davis:

We feel like that hes a versatile player that could play inside or outside.
http://news.steelers.com/article/88936/

ikestops85
05-05-2009, 11:49 AM

True, but he couldn't even play on special teams last year so I am not confident he can pressure a QB or play in Bad Word's defense. At least we have seen Fox on the field. I hope Davis develops into another in our line of great linebackers but I think it's too early to pencil that in yet.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-05-2009, 12:21 PM

Donovan Woods is a back-up inside. They also tried A Harrison 2 years ago before his injury. I don't know if A Harrison will be 100% and might be in jeopardy of not making this roster. Woods was a QB that moved to safety. He is athletic and could develop into a solid ILB. We saw some flashes in the Pre-season last year. Woods will have to get bigger to stay inside but his athleticism makes him a prospect. As far as depth, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers grab a vet on a 1 year deal going into camp or a young guy who gets caught up in a numbers game. Fox could handle starting but unless they think Woods is ready they might look for another option.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-05-2009, 12:28 PM

One of the big reasons to be disappointed with this year's draft. The Steelers knew that Foote was demanding to move--and they did nothing to address ILB in the draft. Maybe Fox will be the next Foote...but I don't see how the Steelers would know that yet. If Timmons or Farrior go down, and Fox can't fill the bill, this team will be in big trouble.

steelers43
05-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I have no worries. Fox and Woods will be our backups and both are tremendous special teams players. I doubt that is by accident.

Why do so many of you think Foote, Larry Foote, is not replaceable?

Oviedo
05-05-2009, 01:01 PM
There always seems to be this near sense of panic on this board about having no depth and the world coming to an end if a starter is injured. Welcome to the NFL and the salary cap. No team can plug in players with starters out and see no drop off. You don't have starter quality players sitting 2 deep.

There seems to be an assumption that Fox and/or Bailey and/or Harrison couldn't step in because they haven't. I don't agree and we may find they may be great players who do a great job.

Remember just two short years ago when we were worried we had no depth at OLB because there was no one behind Joey Porter? How did that work out?

Mel Blount's G
05-05-2009, 01:20 PM
There always seems to be this near sense of panic on this board about having no depth and the world coming to an end if a starter is injured. Welcome to the NFL and the salary cap. No team can plug in players with starters out and see no drop off. You don't have starter quality players sitting 2 deep.

There seems to be an assumption that Fox and/or Bailey and/or Harrison couldn't step in because they haven't. I don't agree and we may find they may be great players who do a great job.

Remember just two short years ago when we were worried we had no depth at OLB because there was no one behind Joey Porter? How did that work out?
Consider too, Oviedo, that it may not be that people are panicing so much as they/we just want/need stuff to discuss, consider and argue about, especially at this time of year with most of us heavily jonesing for some football. Though, there are times where you are right; people seem to get overanxious and a little too serious about, for example, our 3rd string place-kicking coach or whatever.

Btw, don't know why I was thinking that Donovon Woods had been cut. Sounds like I had a misconception there...

And, did nobody think my quote about Davis playing ILB held any possibility? Most likely not since nobody in the World Champion Steeler organization has ever mentioned it beyond that post-draft comment I posted. He's only been talked about in relation to OLB and special teams

AngryAsian
05-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Agreed. I think that Butler/LeBeau have great player recognition skills. They know who and where to insert players. I have the utmost faith that in letting LF go find greener pastures, they already have a game plan in place. BD will be the back up OLB and KF will be the first one inserted to sub at ILB. IMO, KF was our strongest defender on ST last year. Bailey made some memorable lights out plays, but i felt that KF was James Harrison on ST when Peezy was still in the fold. Butler/LeBeau will have the LB corps stacked again this year, and I for one am not worried.

Oviedo
05-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Consider too, Oviedo, that it may not be that people are panicing so much as they/we just want/need stuff to discuss, consider and argue about, especially at this time of year with most of us heavily jonesing for some football. Though, there are times where you are right; people seem to get overanxious and a little too serious about, for example, our 3rd string place-kicking coach or whatever.

Btw, don't know why I was thinking that Donovon Woods had been cut. Sounds like I had a misconception there...

And, did nobody think my quote about Davis playing ILB held any possibility? Most likely not since nobody in the World Champion Steeler organization has ever mentioned it beyond that post-draft comment I posted. He's only been talked about in relation to OLB and special teams

I agree with your reasonable opinions. I also recognize that part of this is the on going efforts by a very small minority to continue to grasp for straws in order to find fault with Tomlin whether that be the coaches he picks, the players he drafts or the depth chart he has or anything else.

I would think Donovan Woods has a very good chance to make this team and in his second year we may see that Bailey has the ability to play ILB. The coaches probably have seen it for over a year now they just haven't let the board experts and critics know yet.

phillyesq
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
The team was able to survive Kriewaldt filling in at ILB a few years ago. They can certainly survive Fox starting a few games -- he is more athletic, and he has some starting experience with the Chiefs if I recall correctly.

To those that wanted to draft an ILB, who would you remove from this draft? I can see an argument about either Harris or the TE in the 7th round, but at that point in the draft, what do you expect to find? Humpal was picked in the 6th last year, and should be returning from injury.

AngryAsian
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM

I agree with your reasonable opinions. I also recognize that part of this is the on going efforts by a very small minority to continue to grasp for straws in order to find fault with Tomlin whether that be the coaches he picks, the players he drafts or the depth chart he has or anything else.

I would think Donovan Woods has a very good chance to make this team and in his second year we may see that Bailey has the ability to play ILB. The coaches probably have seen it for over a year now they just haven't let the board experts and critics know yet.

This team (along with its first round gems and now in key starting positions) is strewn with late round and UDFA talents. Harrison (UDFA), Taylor (4th), Aaron Smith (4th), Keisel (7th), Parker (UDFA)... just to name a few. Fox, Woods, Davis, Bailey... we'll be just fine.

feltdizz
05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
everytime we lose a player a few fans panic... and then the next guy steps up and we all say "who the effe is that?"

we are not like the other teams who have a starter and a scrub behind him..

SteelerOfDeVille
05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
All together now...

DeVille, you were right... AGAIN.

I championed the "we need an ILB in this draft" cause and nobody listened.

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
All together now...

In my mock, I advocated taking ILB Jason Phillips from TCU in the 4th round. However, we traded away our 4th rounder in the deal to get the 2 third rounders. Then the @#$%ing Ravens took Phillips with the first pick in round 5.

steelers43
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
All together now...

I don't think we NEEDED to take one but I would have liked Jasper Brinkley.

steelblood
05-05-2009, 03:02 PM

Oviedo,

I don't get you. This is about the third time that you've responded to one of my threads or posts by trying to group me in with posters whom either love to panic for no apparent reason or whom hate Tomlin for no apparent reason. In fact, in another thread, you suggested that I made up Ron Brace's back problems (which were well documented) to further my mock draft -- that was quite a stretch. I take offense to this as I am not a negative nelly, Tomin hater, or BS artist. As a matter of fact, I've liked Tomin from the start, and I take pride in being honest and forthright.

The point of this thread was to begin a discussion about how the Steelers may address the problem and who could emerge as the answers to what is now an area of concern imho. It was not to cry that the sky is falling or that Tomlin has done something wrong.

I simply call them as I see them.

If you disagree, I'm fine with that. We could have a nice discussion. But, don't jump to conclusions about my intentions and lay off the character assassinations, it makes you look like the hater.

For the discussion,

Fox has been around awhile. He is a good special teams player. But, he is tall and thin (for an inside backer) and could easily struggle to stop the run. After Fox, we have guys who are essentially OLBs and some UDFAs. I think we can all agree that the STeelers 3-4 scheme is complicated and it takes a while for even vets to figure out one position (let alone two).

SteelerOfDeVille
05-05-2009, 03:20 PM
the TE in th 7th was the thing that bugged me most. there were 2 on teh baord...

steelers43
05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
the TE in th 7th was the thing that bugged me most. there were 2 on teh baord...

that pick was indeed a head scratcher.

calmkiller
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
We had 10 LBs on the team last year. We are in no way dangerously thin at LB, outside inside or any side what so ever. Keep searching Chicken Little.

phillyesq
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM

It was a 7th rounder. The second pick in the 7th at that. Very little difference between that pick and an UDFA.

steelers43
05-05-2009, 03:54 PM

It was a 7th rounder. The second pick in the 7th at that. Very little difference between that pick and an UDFA.

Yeah, so? 7th rounders can't be better selections? FA's have to agree to join your team. Draft picks do not.

steelblood
05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
We had 10 LBs on the team last year. We are in no way dangerously thin at LB, outside inside or any side what so ever. Keep searching Chicken Little.

Holy crap. Why the attacks?

There are a few who agree with me here. Just because we have bodies doesn't mean they'll be great backups.

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 04:18 PM

There are a few who agree with me here. Just because we have bodies doesn't mean they'll be great backups.

On the flipside, just because the Steelers spend a draft pick on an ILB doesn't mean that he'd be a great backup, eh?

Oviedo
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Oviedo,

I don't get you. This is about the third time that you've responded to one of my threads or posts by trying to group me in with posters whom either love to panic for no apparent reason or whom hate Tomlin for no apparent reason. In fact, in another thread, you suggested that I made up Ron Brace's back problems (which were well documented) to further my mock draft -- that was quite a stretch. I take offense to this as I am not a negative nelly, Tomin hater, or BS artist. As a matter of fact, I've liked Tomin from the start, and I take pride in being honest and forthright.

The point of this thread was to begin a discussion about how the Steelers may address the problem and who could emerge as the answers to what is now an area of concern imho. It was not to cry that the sky is falling or that Tomlin has done something wrong.

I simply call them as I see them.

If you disagree, I'm fine with that. We could have a nice discussion. But, don't jump to conclusions about my intentions and lay off the character assassinations, it makes you look like the hater.

For the discussion,

Fox has been around awhile. He is a good special teams player. But, he is tall and thin (for an inside backer) and could easily struggle to stop the run. After Fox, we have guys who are essentially OLBs and some UDFAs. I think we can all agree that the STeelers 3-4 scheme is complicated and it takes a while for even vets to figure out one position (let alone two).

Sorry if you perceived being attacked because you are one of the last posters that I would do that too. My response was to simply agree with another poster that there is a tendency to be overwrought any time something changes under Tomlin. My response is within the context of a specific posting in the thread not the thread. If I had issue with you I would not hesitate to quote your words.

My apologies if you think this is about you because it isn't.

steelblood
05-05-2009, 04:41 PM

On the flipside, just because the Steelers spend a draft pick on an ILB doesn't mean that he'd be a great backup, eh?

That is true. But, I'd like to have seen us take one in the third instead of Keenan Lewis as we seem to be overflowing with corners. Hopefully Farrior will hold up well for another couple seasons.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM

Uhhh... how about the fact that you GET them. If you let them become UDFA's, there's a 1 in 32 chance you get them.

Being a position of need, you take a flier on Darry Beckwith or Dannell Ellerbe. They were two UDFAs that were projected as mid-rounders by most.

And if you know you're ditching part of your 3 man-rotation at ILB, why not take a flier on a position you could use - instead of a 20th TE.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-05-2009, 05:57 PM

that happens any round of the draft at any postion. We all debated Leaf vs Manning. Remember "Doss vs Polamalu"? Lots of people were on the wrong side fo that one and wouldn't dare admit it today. (why trade up, they said - lol).

Anyway, in this case... my point is, if you KNOW you're oging to be a player short -- a player who played substantial minutes, at that -- why not put another body in there and see what happens.

Furthermore, FARRIOR IS OLDER THAN THE D-LINE... If we needed d-linemen, we needed ILBs sooner.

At least you've attempted to fix the problem -- knowing full well, that you're looking for backup quality for this season...

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM

that happens any round of the draft at any postion. We all debated Leaf vs Manning. Remember "Doss vs Polamalu"? Lots of people were on the wrong side fo that one and wouldn't dare admit it today. (why trade up, they said - lol).

Anyway, in this case... my point is, if you KNOW you're oging to be a player short -- a player who played substantial minutes, at that -- why not put another body in there and see what happens.

Furthermore, FARRIOR IS OLDER THAN THE D-LINE... If we needed d-linemen, we needed ILBs sooner.

At least you've attempted to fix the problem -- knowing full well, that you're looking for backup quality for this season...

I wouldn't say that you need ILB's sooner. In addition to the age thing, two thirds of our starting d-line will be free agents after this season (Hampton and Keisel) while all 4 our our starting linebackers are locked up.

Discipline of Steel
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM

That is true. But, I'd like to have seen us take one in the third instead of Keenan Lewis as we seem to be overflowing with corners. Hopefully Farrior will hold up well for another couple seasons.

I think there is a reason we are overflowing with corners. I think its because there are very often more than 2 corners on the field. Or to put it another way, the backup corners play more often than backups at other positions. Just like at receiver, i think the Steelers are trying to make sure they have all the required skill sets covered.

NorthCoast
05-05-2009, 07:49 PM

One of the big reasons to be disappointed with this year's draft. The Steelers knew that Foote was demanding to move--and they did nothing to address ILB in the draft. Maybe Fox will be the next Foote...but I don't see how the Steelers would know that yet. If Timmons or Farrior go down, and Fox can't fill the bill, this team will be in big trouble.

My, my, how we have gotten spoiled. We are talking about 2nd team players here. This is not a priority. We had plenty of other worries that were addressed in the draft. Besides, you never know what might fall out from other teams TC battles. A one year contract for a vet would fit the bill just fine in this case.

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 08:39 PM

What's the difference between taking a late round flyer on an unproven player as opposed to using players on the roster (Patrick Bailey, Donovan Woods) that you've already seen in camp?

steelers43
05-05-2009, 09:01 PM

What's the difference between taking a late round flyer on an unproven player as opposed to using players on the roster (Patrick Bailey, Donovan Woods) that you've already seen in camp?

Is this a rhetorical question?

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Why? Do you have an answer?

steelers43
05-05-2009, 11:05 PM

Not really. The question was answered later in the sentence. The difference is what you say it is, we've seen the player for a year or more so we know what we have or at least should have an idea.

Taking a flyer on a pure upside player in the later rounds can be huge if you hit on one of them.

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Not really. The question was answered later in the sentence. The difference is what you say it is, we've seen the player for a year or more so we know what we have or at least should have an idea.

Taking a flyer on a pure upside player in the later rounds can be huge if you hit on one of them.

Agreed...I also think that the Steelers did that...just not at ILB...

steelers43
05-05-2009, 11:23 PM

Agreed...I also think that the Steelers did that...just not at ILB...

What position did they do it? QB? We drafted RB, OL, DL, CB/S and WR, just not LB's.

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 11:41 PM
What position did they do it? QB? We drafted RB, OL, DL, CB/S and WR, just not LB's.

I guess what I'm saying is this:

When you are drafting late on the second day, you should be looking for good players...

I don't think that it's good strategy to draft an ILB simply for the sake of drafting an ILB if a player that you have graded higher is still on the board...

I think that the Steelers did a good job of splitting the difference in the '09 draft...none of the players were overdrafted, so to speak, but they all played positions that the Steelers could use...

So, yeah, they took a TE/H-Back at the end of round seven...could they have drafted an ILB there? Sure...but, is it good strategy to do so if you have the TE graded higher?

steelers43
05-05-2009, 11:46 PM

When you are drafting late on the second day, you should be looking for good players...

I don't think that it's good strategy to draft an ILB simply for the sake of drafting an ILB if a player that you have graded higher is still on the board...

I think that the Steelers did a good job of splitting the difference in the '09 draft...none of the players were overdrafted, so to speak, but they all played positions that the Steelers could use...

So, yeah, they took a TE/H-Back at the end of round seven...could they have drafted an ILB there? Sure...but, is it good strategy to do so if you have the TE graded higher?

I've never been one to draft need over value and upside. You must have mistaken my words.

I think there was better value at the pick, regardless of position.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I wasn't crazy about the TE pick myself. I think it was more based on how high they had the guy rated and he was still on the board. I'm not overly concerned with the situation because the Steelers must have a good feel for what the have in the group of LBs. I think it is a position to watch along with S & DL as camp unfolds. Some young guys will have a shot at all positions to make an impact in preseason. I'm interested to see how well Woods plays inside and who else the consider as an ILB prospect. I'm also interested to see how Mundy responds to the challenge ahead of him. He has good size and athleticism for the S position and there is a spot for him. Also interested to see if Roy Lewis shows enough at FS to possibly push Carter off the roster. Of course the DL is very interesting. Hood is basicly on the roster. So the next question is will Harris show enough to get into the rotation and make the 53? In my opinion, if Harris can the Steelers may be looking to unload more salary. Kirschke is a guy they could look at to create some space if someone else could move into the rotation. I would rather have a healthy Kirschke than Eason as my #3 but it is getting to the point where the salary might be more important than depth. After seeing some film on Hood, I think he could be the #3 and that might move Kirschke off the roster with his salary. If the Steelers think otherwise, that would put Harris & Eason "head to head" for a roster spot. I'm hoping I'm wrong but I think Harris might be headed to the PS to develop as a DT. I'm not sure if the end position at this level is where he will fit. He will either have to tighten up to make it as a DE or spend time in the weight room and in Hamptons kitchen to play DT. Usually, the second choice is an easier transition.

phillyesq
05-06-2009, 09:17 AM

I've never been one to draft need over value and upside. You must have mistaken my words.

I think there was better value at the pick, regardless of position.

Slapstick - excellent post!

43, obviously, the FO disagreed with you. The HBack/TE in the 7th round will push McHugh and Carey Davis. He also gives the team a developmental player at a position where Miller and Spaeth are facing FA after next year. Finally, he is a position flexibility guy, and for better or worse, Tomlin and Arians place a high value on flexibility.

All the quibbling about how the team used its second 7th round selection seems absurd, especially when you consider how infrequently the 7th round picks even make the team. Isn't Humpal back in camp this year? Were the guys left in the 7th that much better than Humpal? Or Woods, Bailey, et. al?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-06-2009, 03:45 PM

"let's forget FWP... we've got Amos Z... "

Slapstick
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
"let's forget Duce Staley... we've got FWP... "

Fixed that for you... :wink:

SteelerOfDeVille
05-06-2009, 05:07 PM
"let's forget Duce Staley... we've got FWP... "

Fixed that for you... :wink:
whoever... you get the point. :tt2

SidSmythe
05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
the irony of this thread is . . . Larry Foote was the top ILB backup his rookie year. I remember against New Orleans he made a bad read spelling Earl Holmes I believe and the Saints RB broke a long TD run.

He was a 4th round pick and our top backup that year.