PDA

View Full Version : Think a little...

papillon
05-05-2009, 08:05 AM
It's the offseason and there isn't much happening. I took a sample Wonderlic test and thought maybe some of you guys and gals may want to take your brains for a bit of jog. Here are some logic questions that do not require any superior intelligence; however, you do have to think.

Enjoy! :tt2

How far can a dog walk into the woods?

Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?

Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the tallest mountain in the world?

Two planes take off at the same exact moment. They are flying across the Atlantic. One leaves New York and is flying to Paris at 500 miles per hour. The other leaves Paris and is flying to New York at only 450 miles per hour ( because of a strong head wind ). Which one will be closer to Paris when they meet?

What English word can have 4 of its 5 letters removed and still retain it's original pronunciation?

In your sock drawer, you have a ratio of 5 pairs of blue socks, 4 pairs of brown socks, and 6 pairs of black socks. In complete darkness, how many socks would you need to pull out to get a matching pair of the same color?

A woman goes into a hardware store to buy something for her house. When asked the price, the clerk replies, "the price of one is twelve cents, the price of forty-four is twenty-four cents, and the price a hundred and forty-four is thirty-six cents. What does the woman want to buy?

What belongs to you, but used mostly by others?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I'll give it a shot. I posted my answers in black so others who want to play can't read my answers unless they try to quote my post. Let me know how I did, Pappy!

It's the offseason and there isn't much happening. I took a sample Wonderlic test and thought maybe some of you guys and gals may want to take your brains for a bit of jog. Here are some logic questions that do not require any superior intelligence; however, you do have to think.

Half way. The rest of the time is spent walking out of the woods.

Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?

Three.

Mt. Everest.

Two planes take off at the same exact moment. They are flying across the Atlantic. One leaves New York and is flying to Paris at 500 miles per hour. The other leaves Paris and is flying to New York at only 450 miles per hour ( because of a strong head wind ). Which one will be closer to Paris when they meet?

They are both the same distance from Paris when they meet.

What English word can have 4 of its 5 letters removed and still retain it's original pronunciation?

Queue.

In your sock drawer, you have a ratio of 5 pairs of blue socks, 4 pairs of brown socks, and 6 pairs of black socks. In complete darkness, how many socks would you need to pull out to get a matching pair of the same color?

Four.

A woman goes into a hardware store to buy something for her house. When asked the price, the clerk replies, "the price of one is twelve cents, the price of forty-four is twenty-four cents, and the price a hundred and forty-four is thirty-six cents. What does the woman want to buy?

Address numbers for her house.

I'm not sure about this one...too open-ended...Money, perhaps?

Pappy

papillon
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I'll give it a shot. I posted my answers in black so others who want to play can't read my answers unless they try to quote my post. Let me know how I did, Pappy!

Half way. The rest of the time is spent walking out of the woods.
Correct

Three.
Incorrect

Mt. Everest.
Correct

They are both the same distance from Paris when they meet.
Correct

Queue.
Correct

Four.
Correct

Address numbers for her house.
Correct

I'm not sure about this one...too open-ended...Money, perhaps?
Incorrect

Pappy

You did d@mn good! :Bow

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Pap.

Darn those gloves!

If they were these kinds of gloves that could be worn on either hand:

http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/78941/Aramid_Kevlar_Fiber_Protective_Glove.jpg

instead of these kinds of gloves that are hand-specific:

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/alpinestars-3-4-gloves.jpg

then I would have been correct with three (using the same logic as the question about the socks).

If we assume that there are six hand-specific pairs of black gloves and six hand-specific pairs of brown gloves, then I suppose that I would have to go with 13, because theoretically you could pick all 6 left handed black gloves and all 6 right handed brown gloves before the 13th glove guaranteed that you would have a matching pair.

I still don't know where to go with the last question. I'm sure it is obvious, too, and I'll have one of those "D'Oh!" moments when I find out the answer.

snarky
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Half-way

3 (see below)

Mt. Everest

Neither. Unless by meet you mean nose to nose in which case the one that left Paris will be closer.

queue

Numbers for her house (street numbers)

doorbell

EDIT: I think phone number would work here also. Probably lots of things almost all of them having to do with some form of human-human interface.

Pappy

Pappy, I contend that three is the correct number because in darkness I could still discern the handed-ness of the glove.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Half-way

3 (see below)

Mt. Everest

Neither. Unless by meet you mean nose to nose in which case the one that left Paris will be closer.

queue

doorbell

EDIT: I think phone number would work here also. Probably lots of things almost all of them having to do with some form of human-human interface.

Pappy

Pappy, I contend that three is the correct number because in darkness I could still discern the handed-ness of the glove.

Yeah, but what if you grab a brown lefty, a black righty, and another brown lefty? Still no matching pair.

snarky
05-06-2009, 01:47 PM

Half-way

3 (see below)

Mt. Everest

queue

doorbell

Pappy

Yeah, but what if you grab a brown lefty, a black righty, and another brown lefty? Still no matching pair.

aha, good point. dammit.

So what is it then, eight? Seven lefties ensures one lefty of each color and then pick one righty. It must be eight.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 03:21 PM

Half-way

3 (see below)

Mt. Everest

queue

doorbell

Pappy

aha, good point. dammit.

So what is it then, eight? Seven lefties ensures one lefty of each color and then pick one righty. It must be eight.

That sounds good to me. I picked 3 first just like you. Then I thought it was 13 (6 brown lefties and 6 black righties means the 13th would have to be a match), but your 8 sounds right if you pick 7 of the same hand and 1 of the opposite hand...then you'd have to have a match.

papillon
05-07-2009, 12:11 AM
It's 13, if you 6 pick all black lefties, then 6 blue righties (or lefties), since there are 6 pair of each color then the 13th glove selected guarantees a match, because, it will be the opposite hand of one of the colors.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2009, 09:28 AM
It's 13, if you 6 pick all black lefties, then 6 blue righties (or lefties), since there are 6 pair of each color then the 13th glove selected guarantees a match, because, it will be the opposite hand of one of the colors.

Pappy

Thirteen was my answer (after three was shot down due to the handedness issue), but since you can feel in the dark which are lefties and which are righties (you can even put them on your hand to make sure of the handedness), if you took 7 gloves of the same hand, you would be sure of having at least one of each color (all 6 brown lefties and 1 black lefty, for instance), then you could then take any righty glove, and no matter what color that one righthanded glove was, you'd be guaranteed to have one matching pair. Eight is the better answer. Snarky was right. :Clap :Bow

D Rock
05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm taking 3. Cathy is a woman, and a lot of women prefer hand-ambiguous gloves. In addition, there is no need for her to have 6 pairs of both black and brown hand specific gloves. Hand ambiguous gloves are much cheaper though and come in multi packs, hence Cathy had hand ambiguous gloves and only needed to pick 3 out.