PDA

View Full Version : Bowling in Britain is not a particularly Super idea for NFL

fordfixer
05-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Bowling in Britain is not a particularly Super idea for NFL
Updated 1h 6m ago

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnis ... bowl_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2009-05-04-london-super-bowl_N.htm)

By Mike Lopresti, Gannett
More unsettling reports came out the past weekend from the olde towne. Seems as if London is still working hard at wooing a future Super Bowl.

The NFL keeps denying something is afoot. The latest published report, from the Telegraph in London that a commitment has been given to hold a British Super Bowl within eight years was shot down by NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy via Twitter. Can't get more official than that.

Apparently, the thinking in the United Kingdom runs something like this: If we have monarchs that come with Roman numerals, why can't we host a football game that comes with them?

This has gone on long enough. Time to march to the very top with our concerns. And that doesn't mean Roger Goodell. He's only the commissioner.

Get this off to Her Majesty, the Queen of England. Tell her it's from a citizen in the colonies.

Madam,

Please accept my kindest regards for your empire. You are lifelong and worthy allies. James Bond was a childhood hero. I like fish and chips as much as the next guy. And London will be a fine place for the Olympics. The archery competition on a cricket ground in 2012? Inspired idea.

But I have a request to respectfully make.

Tell your subjects to get their bloody hands off our Super Sunday.

London wants the Super Bowl. Yeah, well, so do Phoenix, New Orleans, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Indianapolis and probably even Kalamazoo. It is well documented that the week is a financial jackpot for the host city, just in the dinner tabs for the offensive linemen alone.

But that's just the point. Economic times being what they are, every American city with two goalposts would love a Super Bowl. Or even a couple of them. It could help pay the street department to fill in the potholes.

Now, I don't deny an international Super Bowl has a charming appeal. It would be fascinating to play the game in a place where Big Ben is a clock, and not Roethlisberger.

But really, is the NFL prepared to tell all those Yankee taxi drivers, caterers, hotel managers and restaurant owners that a city outside the USA is going to get the prize and the booty?

Americans are bestowed with certain unalienable rights, and these include life, liberty and a chance to gouge the well-heeled Super Bowl crowd.

Sorry, Your Majesty. Just because you and the first lady hugged the other day like you were sorority sisters at their 10th reunion doesn't mean we're going to allow another country to rake in the profits from all the shrimp eaten at the commissioner's Friday night party.

Yeah, I know, it's a great way to build interest in the NFL. This is important, since for the foreseeable decades to come, London won't actually have a team that will ever play in the Super Bowl.

But heck, neither does Cleveland. And you don't see Ohio angling to host the game.

Besides, look at some of the logistical problems of a Super Bowl in London.

Start with the weather. Gray, chilly, unpleasant. And that's July. We're talking February at dome-less Wembley Stadium.

Also, the time difference. Presumably, the American television networks would certainly still want the game in prime time back in the States, since by then, television commercial time will be going for about a million dollars per adjective.

What are they going to do, have a midnight kickoff in London? Or turn the Super Bowl parties over here into brunch?

But I don't want to be unreasonable. If everyone is dead set for this game in London, I propose a deal be made for one year.

You get the Super Bowl. We get Wimbledon. There have to be a couple of grass courts around here somewhere. I'm sure we have enough tennis balls and strawberries.

I have the honour to be, madam, Your Majesty's humble and obedient servant
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

calmkiller
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Next in the News. World cup to be played in America!!!.......NO

Honestly, This is OUR sport. Not the Brits, or anyone else. I don't want to share it, and doing so would be heresy! IMO

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Next in the News. World cup to be played in America!!!.......NO

Honestly, This is OUR sport. Not the Brits, or anyone else. I don't want to share it, and doing so would be heresy! IMO

The 1994 World Cup was played here. Matches took place at the Rose Bowl, Pontiac Silverdome, Stanford Stadium, Giants Stadium, Citrus Bowl, Soldier Field, Cotton Bowl, Foxboro Stadium, and RFK Stadium.