PDA

View Full Version : Steelers make it official

SteelCrazy
05-04-2009, 06:00 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have officially released linebacker Larry Foote.

In a statement released by the team, Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert wished Foote well.

"Larry has been a big part of our success, but unfortunately the realities of the salary cap made this decision inevitable. We wish Larry and his family nothing but the best as he moves forward with his career."

Foote was scheduled to earn close to $3 million in base salary in the final year of his contract, but with the emergence of Lawrence Timmons, Foote wanted out of Pittsburgh so he could seek a more significant role with another team.

Foote, a part of the Steelers championship teams from Super Bowl XL and XLIII, will be 29-years-old in June.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/19365969/detail.html

Discipline of Steel
05-04-2009, 06:48 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have officially released linebacker Larry Foote.

In a statement released by the team, Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert wished Foote well.

"Larry has been a big part of our success, but unfortunately the realities of the salary cap made this decision inevitable. We wish Larry and his family nothing but the best as he moves forward with his career."

Foote was scheduled to earn close to $3 million in base salary in the final year of his contract, but with the emergence of Lawrence Timmons, Foote wanted out of Pittsburgh so he could seek a more significant role with another team.

Foote, a part of the Steelers championship teams from Super Bowl XL and XLIII, will be 29-years-old in June.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/19365969/detail.html

Sheiss...reality sux sometimes

SidSmythe
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
All good things must come to an end.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I give the man props for all his service in helping us get 2 rings during his tenure in Pittsburgh. However, I do have to wonder about what goes through the mind of someone who says "I love the team, I love winning, but you can't keep being unhappy." If he thinks he is unhappy now, in a ILB rotation on a Super Bowl champion team, wait until he gets his wish and is a full time ILB starter on a team coming off a winless season. He has no idea what unhappiness is. The grass isn't always greener, brother.

NorthCoast
05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I've been in his position in the corporate world. When you are no longer 'the man', it takes a bit away from your sense of self. He probably feels like he is still young enough and productive enough that he could go to another team and be 'the man' again. Can't fault him for that....everyone has to make the choice sometime in their career, some sooner rather than later.
I admit I ripped on him occasionally, but he was a steady player and you always knew what you got with him.

Good Luck Larry...

Mel Blount's G
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
I'll be very upset if he becomes a patsy*** or a jet. Please go to Detroit Larry

steelcityrules!!
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
someone like Green Bay is going to get a seasoned vet at ILB... nothing flashy, just a damn good backer who earned his keep on the #1 defense in the league.

foot reminds us that drafting the "steeler way" is not only productive, but profitable.

SidSmythe
05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I just don't understand why we couldn't have traded him for an undisclosed draft pick. Maybe Detroit knew that they'd get him no matter what in the end and work out a contract in their favor???

Would have been nice to get a 5th round pick for him at least.

SteelStallion
05-04-2009, 09:51 PM
1. they knew he'd be cut

2. he's not fast enough to be a 3 down player the way he wants to be

ramblinjim
05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Let me please be the umpteenth dozen of us to wish Larry and his family all the best as he moves forward. He's been a d@amn good Steeler.

Wolfhound45
05-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Best Wishes Larry. Thanks for all the hard work.

http://blog.mlive.com/wolverinesfootball_impact/2008/07/medium_080725-larry-foote.jpg

fordfixer
05-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Let me please be the umpteenth dozen of us to wish Larry and his family all the best as he moves forward. He's been a d@amn good Steeler.
:Agree Good luck Larry

Chadman
05-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I give the man props for all his service in helping us get 2 rings during his tenure in Pittsburgh. However, I do have to wonder about what goes through the mind of someone who says "I love the team, I love winning, but you can't keep being unhappy." If he thinks he is unhappy now, in a ILB rotation on a Super Bowl champion team, wait until he gets his wish and is a full time ILB starter on a team coming off a winless season. He has no idea what unhappiness is. The grass isn't always greener, brother.

Yeah....not sure Chadman agrees with you Ruthless. As a professional footballer, he'd have to know he has a limited shelf-life. What would YOU rather- be a bit-player on a good team or a full time player on a poor team? Chadman would personally take the full time gig- it's the competitor in Chadman coming out. Chadman (and it would seem Larry Foote too) would prefer to put the pads on & hit people even on a losing cause rather than sit on the bench & watch a good side.

Djfan
05-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Once again, thanks Larry. Glad to have had you here. Good luck to you and yours.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-05-2009, 09:19 AM
He was a good Steeler, probably better than most of us even know. He was a very popular presence in the locker room. I'm just glad that we have a team with such a solid foundation within the locker room that they are able to understand and accept what happens and move on without distraction.

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Yeah....not sure Chadman agrees with you Ruthless. As a professional footballer, he'd have to know he has a limited shelf-life. What would YOU rather- be a bit-player on a good team or a full time player on a poor team? Chadman would personally take the full time gig- it's the competitor in Chadman coming out. Chadman (and it would seem Larry Foote too) would prefer to put the pads on & hit people even on a losing cause rather than sit on the bench & watch a good side.

If he were completely benched by the Steelers and wanted to go elsewhere to play, then I could understand it. But he wasn't getting benched. He was just used in a rotation instead of being out there all the time. I would rather be a rotational player who contributes to a championship team than a full-time player on a team that will draft in the top 5 every year. And what happens when Detroit realizes that Foote has his limitations and is a two-down backer at best, drafting a new hotshot rookie athletic LB next year to put in a rotation with Foote. Then he is in that same position as he would have been here except that the team around him will suck and he will be even more miserable.

Northern_Blitz
05-05-2009, 11:49 AM

Just depends what he wants. He's got two rings...maybe starting full time and being able to mentor players and bring change to a crappy org. is what he's looking for.

All the best LF and family. Thanks for your contribution to the best team in the NFL!

True Fan
05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I say F@ck Foote. The steelers took the high road and granted him his release. Foote should have shown some class and never have ran his mouth about being 'held back'. He screwed over the organization and it's fans by not having any trade value after his crybaby statement. Go to hell Larry!

Oviedo
05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I say F@ck Foote. The steelers took the high road and granted him his release. Foote should have shown some class and never have ran his mouth about being 'held back'. He screwed over the organization and it's fans by not having any trade value after his crybaby statement. Go to hell Larry!

Concur. He now goes into the category of "he who shall not be mentioned" just like that OLB that plays for the Dolphins and that Guard who plays for the Jets.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Concur. He now goes into the category of "he who shall not be mentioned" just like that OLB that plays for the Dolphins and that Guard who plays for the Jets.

Come on now, a little perspective.

Faneca whined constantly to the media about being insulted by the team. He stayed here and played like garbage for a year. It was said after he left that he was a locker room poison for that year.

Foote asked the team for his release. He then told the media about it after the draft. A far cry from the full year of whining and pouting that we put up with in the Faneca situation.

stlrz d
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
[quote="True Fan":2vlj6r11]I say F@ck Foote. The steelers took the high road and granted him his release. Foote should have shown some class and never have ran his mouth about being 'held back'. He screwed over the organization and it's fans by not having any trade value after his crybaby statement. Go to hell Larry!

Come on now, a little perspective.

Faneca whined constantly to the media about being insulted by the team. He stayed here and played like garbage for a year. It was said after he left that he was a locker room poison for that year.

Foote asked the team for his release. He then told the media about it after the draft. A far cry from the full year of whining and pouting that we put up with in the Faneca situation.[/quote:2vlj6r11]

I agree it's much different than the Faneca situation, but it would have been nice of Foote to remain silent to the press about it so we could have maybe gotten a draft pick for him.

We may get a comp pick though, right?

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree it's much different than the Faneca situation, but it would have been nice of Foote to remain silent to the press about it so we could have maybe gotten a draft pick for him.

Nope. Foote was released with a year left on his contract...no comp pick...

The only possible comp picks are for Nate Washington, Marvel Smith and Bryant McFadden...

And that depends on if the Keiwan Ratliff and Shaun McDonald signings somehow balance those out...

stlrz d
05-06-2009, 12:01 AM

The only possible comp picks are for Nate Washington, Marvel Smith and Bryant McFadden...

And that depends on if the Keiwan Ratliff and Shaun McDonald signings somehow balance those out...

Thanks for the info...and damn. :(

papillon
05-06-2009, 12:29 AM

Well, that's three starters that we lost to FA; I doubt that Ratliff and Mcdonald will be starters. It shouldn't balance out and the Steelers should get something for those FA events. I would think.

Pappy

Slapstick
05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, that's three starters that we lost to FA; I doubt that Ratliff and Mcdonald will be starters. It shouldn't balance out and the Steelers should get something for those FA events. I would think.

Pappy

I think that the comparative values of the various contracts are factored in along with the amount of playing time the lost FA logs for the new team...

IMO, the Steelers best chance of a comp pick lies with Nate Washington...

If Marvel Smith stays healthy and starts every game for the 49ers, he could also net a comp pick...

McFadden will be competing for a starting job...if he earns it and stays healthy, the Steelers could be looking at another...

But, none would match what the Steelers SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED for Faneca...

frankthetank1
05-06-2009, 07:07 AM
i always liked larry. he shouldnt of ran his mouth but who cares really.not a big deal, we wouldnt of gotten much for him anyways. personally i would rather play part time on a great team than start on an awful team. ive had it both ways playing sports, imo there is nothing worse than losing all the time.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Leftwich too, right? Or is there some stipulation about him only being here for a year or something like that?

Slapstick
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Leftwich too, right? Or is there some stipulation about him only being here for a year or something like that?

Who knows? The whole comp pick formula is so nebulous, I can't say for sure...

I will say that Byron didn't sign a big contract and probably won't see significant playing time, so I doubt it...