PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' linebacker Davis eager to make impact

fordfixer
05-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Steelers' linebacker Davis eager to make impact

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 3, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 23419.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_623419.html)

Outside linebacker Bruce Davis didn't make a single play as a rookie no tackles, sacks or interceptions which is why he couldn't wait to get into the weight room and bulk up so he never goes through a season like that again.

A third-round pick in 2008, Davis shouldn't be labeled a bust because he wasn't on the field long enough to show he could play. But he knows the pressure is on him to produce this year.

"Last year, I don't want to say it was disappointing," said Davis, who had 29 career sacks at UCLA. "I would have hoped it would have gone another way, but it didn't."

Davis expects making a bigger contribution in 2009 because "the difference between year one and year two is I'm a lot more comfortable."

"I know the calls now," he said. "I don't have second-guess myself. I can just play. I know what I'm doing. I get to use what I've got. Anytime you're out there thinking on the football field, you're not moving as fast as you can. Now, if I get a call, I run with the call."

In college, Davis was always among the most talented players on the field. In the NFL, everyone can play, and Davis needed to change his approach.

"I got a lot stronger," said Davis, who is spending his offseason in Pittsburgh. "I got in the weight room with (conditioning coach Garrett Giemont and conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor).

"I lost a little bit of weight (255 pounds, down from 262) and gained some muscle. I definitely feel like I have a half-step back from last year."

That extra half-step can make all the difference for a speed pass rusher if Davis can get on the field. He's playing behind James Harrison, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and LaMarr Woodley, who had 11.5 sacks in his first season as a starter.

"Realistically," Davis said, "am I going to take James Harrison's spot? I doubt it. That's just being real. The way it worked last year, I got to sit back and learn watching the best defense in the game. Until my number is called to make plays on defense, I'm going to play special teams like I'm out there playing outside linebacker. I'm going to go as hard as I can and try to knock some people out.

"Special teams is definitely a huge phase of this game and this team. Coach (Mike) Tomlin puts emphasis on special teams.

"But you can always get better. I want to get better on special teams and make an impact."

Oviedo
05-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Davis seems to have the right attitude. He is just in tough position behind Harrison and Woodley. He just needs to get better and wait for his chance because the physical style that Harrison plays could give him an opportunity due to injury.

However he also could be a piece of the transition of the defense to a 4-3 and he would be ready to step in as DE with Woodley as the other DE. :stirpot

steelblood
05-04-2009, 08:29 AM
I fail to see how Davis is in such a tough situation. If he became the #1 backup at both outside linebackers, he'd see the field enough to get good experience. It is likely that either Woodley or Harrison will miss some time with injuries. If he was the #1 backup and was effective, we could rotate a bit and keep Woodley and Harrison fresh. Between that and special teams, he can get plenty of action this year. It is not an ideal situation, but he could contribute quite a bit, if he earns the opportunity.

I have to see a picture of this kid with his added muscle. I just can't believe that he didn't add any weight. His upperbody was so lean.

pfelix73
05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I doubt we'll be switching to the 4-3 anytime soon. I predict that Tomlin has been influenced so much by Mr. LeBeau that even after the LeBeau Era, we'll still be playing the 3-4 scheme.

SteelCzar76
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
However he also could be a piece of the transition of the defense to a 4-3 and he would be ready to step in as DE with Woodley as the other DE. :stirpot

Do you mean in a sense of a undersized "speed" edge rusher similar to the type that Tony Dungy would employ ? :stirpot ,.........

Oviedo
05-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Do you mean in a sense of a undersized "speed" edge rusher similar to the type that Tony Dungy would employ ? :stirpot ,.........

Yes...one of thise "undersized speed edge riushers" who make the Pro Bowl and get double digit sacks like Dwight Freeney.

calmkiller
05-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Yes...one of thise "undersized speed edge riushers" who make the Pro Bowl and get double digit sacks like Dwight Freeney.

Shush you two!

papillon
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Just to add my :2c minus .18 cents to the 34 vs 43 discussion. Isn't the 34 a more attacking defense and the 43 a more sit back and wait for a mistake by the offense defense? If this is correct: Wouldn't the Steelers be going against what they love to do on defense by moving to a 43?

Pappy

SteelCzar76
05-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Just to add my :2c minus .18 cents to the 34 vs 43 discussion. Isn't the 34 a more attacking defense and the 43 a more sit back and wait for a mistake by the offense defense? If this is correct: Wouldn't the Steelers be going against what they love to do on defense by moving to a 43?

Pappy

Not if one's head Coach were to fantasize of Ziggy Hood as a young Warren Sapp, Lawrence Timmons as a young Derick Brooks, Lamarr Woodley as a young Tyoka Jackson and himself as Tony Dungy. :lol: :stirpot

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I borrowed some change off Pap so here is my 2 cents. I do not expect a 3-4 to 4-3 conversion unless you see back-to-back .500 seasons...Which will not happen. The personnell & scheme transition sets a team back and we will not see it while the Steelers remain a competitive team. After BWL, a DC will be put in place who is either currently working with BWL or involved in a 3-4 scheme. When you have players in the 80 percentile retainage from year to year you are asking alot to change coaching philosophy(coach), system, and playbook while remaining competitive. I don't see Tomlin committing career suicide after BWL retires to put the 4-3 in place. The transition to more 3-4 teams is said to be from the lack elite DL prospects compared to the range of athletes coming out of the college game. It is easier to bulk up an athlete than it is to make bulk athletic.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Pappy

Not if one's head Coach were to fantasize of Ziggy Hood as a young Warren Sapp, Lawrence Timmons as a young Derick Brooks, Lamarr Woodley as a young Tyoka Jackson and himself as Tony Dungy. :lol: :stirpot

You laughed at a Lawrence Timmons & Chad Brown comparison, but make a LaMarr Woodley and Tyoka Jackson comparison? Yikes.

By the way, why would Mike Tomlin, who has won a Super Bowl as Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers already himself, have fantasies of being the coach who, in their only season together in Tampa, went 9-7 and lost in the wild card round of the playoffs (31-9 to the Eagles)? Tomlin got his Super Bowl ring in Tampa with Gruden as the Head Coach, not Dungy. He was on Gruden's staff for 4 years and spend just as much time under Brad Childress in Minnesota as he did under Tony Dungy in Tampa (one season each). Where does this "Tomlin worships Dungy" stuff come from?

AngryAsian
05-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Pappy

Yeah, like Tyoka Jackson was a model of production. The only thing Jackson has in common with Woodley is maybe heighth. At any rate, the one thing that Tomlin is self professed in is being a "student of the game." People keep wanting to pigeon-hole him to be this big Tampa 2 guy because Dungy was one of his mentors. But I trust that Mr. LeBeau has taught him a lot about his brand of D and how well it works. This team is built for the 3-4 and I can't see anybody trying to tinker with the success we've had for years. Always in the top 5, year in and year out in defensive rating and you think Tomlin wants to try and mess with that formula.

Our shelf life for repeatable championships is a small window. We have 3-5 years with the current pieces to be competitive enough to contend for titles, and I disagree with the notion that this team will be transitioning to 4-3. Everybody's been claiming that this will be happening soon... trust in that as long as LeBeau is on this team that won't happen, and by his own admission, LeBeau is nowhere near retirement. I think Dick, has 2-3 left in him. My opinion, no Tampa 2 coming anytime soon.

SteelCzar76
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
You laughed at a Lawrence Timmons & Chad Brown comparison, but make a LaMarr Woodley and Tyoka Jackson comparison? Yikes.

That was the joke Ruthless,..Tyoka was no more Wood's level than Timmon's is on Brooks', or Hood is on Sapp's.

As far as the Dungy/Gruden/Tampa connection to Tomlin,....the only one that i think is pertinent is whether or not Tomlin will do to this team what Gruden did to the Bucs after winning a World Title early in his tenure with a team built by the hands and minds of the regime before him. :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2009, 04:21 PM

That was the joke Ruthless,..Tyoka was no more Wood's level than Timmon's is on Brooks', or Hood is on Sapp's.

As far as the Dungy/Gruden/Tampa connection to Tomlin,....the only one that i think is pertinent is whether or not Tomlin will do to this team what Gruden did to the Bucs after winning a World Title early in his tenure with a team built by the hands and minds of the regime before him. :stirpot

I will start to worry if the newly appointed ambassador to Ireland buys up some Irish soccer team like the Glazer family did in buying Manchester United shortly after the Bucs won the Super Bowl. :mrgreen:

Steelerphile
05-04-2009, 07:24 PM

Your ideas are so tired. You must get them from the bargain basement at the dime store. An unoriginal non-thinker, like yourself, keeps coming up with boring concepts like Tomlin is going to go straight into the 4-3 any day now just to be like his hero Dungy. You are not observant. Tomlin is his own man. He takes from all of his influences and melds into what is the most productive for now. They are not changing into the 4-3. I think the 3-4 will always be their base D, it has more ways to be creative, but some 4-3 doesn't hurt, and they will use both sometimes, I would think.

Also there was some rumor about Timmons not being stout against the run, which you seem to regurgitate on cue. You're not watching him. He is not getting trucked. He has star and all-pro potential. Larry Foote is a good player but is no better against the run. In fact he is on the smallish side himself. Ever take physics? Force = mass x velocity? Timmons is a young player in the 230 - 240 range, has potential for growth and has great acceleration and speed. When he has a few steps to accelerate, he striking force is much better than Footes because is speed is better and he weighs as much.

Mel Blount's G
05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I have to see a picture of this kid with his added muscle. I just can't believe that he didn't add any weight. His upperbody was so lean.
I actually cannot/do not believe he was 262. I would guess he was closer to 232. He looks like he's 20 pounds lighter than Timmons who is 234 I believe. Mind you. I'm just going on looks but he just did not look like he had much bulk at all. I'd damn near have to see the scale to believe he was more than 240-245 last year

SteelCzar76
05-04-2009, 09:49 PM

I will start to worry if the newly appointed ambassador to Ireland buys up some Irish soccer team like the Glazer family did in buying Manchester United shortly after the Bucs won the Super Bowl. :mrgreen:

:lol: Touche Ruthless,..touche,...

SteelCzar76
05-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Your ideas are so tired. You must get them from the bargain basement at the dime store. An unoriginal non-thinker, like yourself, keeps coming up with boring concepts like Tomlin is going to go straight into the 4-3 any day now just to be like his hero Dungy. You are not observant. Tomlin is his own man. He takes from all of his influences and melds into what is the most productive for now. They are not changing into the 4-3. I think the 3-4 will always be their base D, it has more ways to be creative, but some 4-3 doesn't hurt, and they will use both sometimes, I would think.

Also there was some rumor about Timmons not being stout against the run, which you seem to regurgitate on cue. You're not watching him. He is not getting trucked. He has star and all-pro potential. Larry Foote is a good player but is no better against the run. In fact he is on the smallish side himself. Ever take physics? Force = mass x velocity? Timmons is a young player in the 230 - 240 range, has potential for growth and has great acceleration and speed. When he has a few steps to accelerate, he striking force is much better than Footes because is speed is better and he weighs as much.

No homie,..what's tired and unoriginal is how you go about expressing yourself towards someone whom does not necessarily share your opinion. Which is especially hilarious as your only doing so in such a childish manner because it's from behind a computer screen.

I voice my perspective for my sake. Not to convert you or anyone else. And henceforth if we are not in agreement,...i personally do not give a f@ck enough to get bent out of shape about as much. In fact i even applaud perspectives that differ from my own, as there is always some measure of knowledge and or wisdom that can gained from most quality debates so to speak.

But in regards to you,....if believing that Timmons is an elite player helps you sleep at night,..then knock yourself out. But miss my n#tsack with any disrespect. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM

No homie,..what's tired and unoriginal is how you go about expressing yourself towards someone whom does not necessarily share your opinion. Which is especially hilarious as your only doing so in such a childish manner because it's from behind a computer screen.

I voice my perspective for my sake. Not to convert you or anyone else. And henceforth if we are not in agreement,...i personally do not give a f@ck enough to get bent out of shape about as much. In fact i even applaud perspectives that differ from my own, as there is always some measure of knowledge and or wisdom that can gained from most quality debates so to speak.

But in regards to you,....if believing that Timmons is an elite player helps you sleep at night,..then knock yourself out. But miss my n#tsack with any disrespect. :lol:

It's spelled "Nutczak"

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-05-2009, 09:48 AM

It's spelled "Nutczak"

Thats Nutczak......Harry Nutczak. :lol:

ikestops85
05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I think it's funny that there is all this talk about the Steelers switching to a 4-3. We have just come off a season where that defense is being mentioned amongst the greatest defenses of all time and people here actually believe Tomlin is going to mess with it. :roll: Puleeeez. I really don't know what Tomlin has done to make some folks think he is stupid. I listen to him speak and he sounds extremely intelligent. He has impressed me more and more from his initial press conference but obviously others think different because switching to a 4-3 right now would be absolutely stupid.

I don't mind differing viewpoints as long as a reasonable rationale accompanies it. So I would like to know what the rationale is for thinking Tomlin is an idiot. Could somebody please share??

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I think it's funny that there is all this talk about the Steelers switching to a 4-3. We have just come off a season where that defense is being mentioned amongst the greatest defenses of all time and people here actually believe Tomlin is going to mess with it. :roll: Puleeeez. I really don't know what Tomlin has done to make some folks think he is stupid. I listen to him speak and he sounds extremely intelligent. He has impressed me more and more from his initial press conference but obviously others think different because switching to a 4-3 right now would be absolutely stupid.

I don't mind differing viewpoints as long as a reasonable rationale accompanies it. So I would like to know what the rationale is for thinking Tomlin is an idiot. Could somebody please share??

I guess they don't think janitors can have high IQ's. Didn't they see "Good Will Hunting"? :P

Oviedo
05-05-2009, 10:29 AM

I guess they don't think janitors can have high IQ's. Didn't they see "Good Will Hunting"? :P

If only that were the reason but we really know why there is a small subset of Tomlin haters who refuse to acknowledge what a positive change he has been for the team.

stlrz d
05-05-2009, 10:52 AM

If only that were the reason but we really know why there is a small subset of Tomlin haters who refuse to acknowledge what a positive change he has been for the team.

http://www.ep.tc/problems/seven/thats_racist.gif

Oviedo
05-05-2009, 01:08 PM

http://www.ep.tc/problems/seven/thats_racist.gif

Don't you know that I was referring to jealousy toward a person in his mid 30's who has already reached the top of his profession. Why would you think any poster on this board would have an issue with Tomlin because of his race? We have a black president now. Why would anyone not one as a football coach. I just can't imagine anyone on this board would feel that way. :wink:

SteelCzar76
05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Don't you know that I was referring to jealousy toward a person in his mid 30's who has already reached the top of his profession. Why would you think any poster on this board would have an issue with Tomlin because of his race? We have a black president now. Why would anyone not one as a football coach. I just can't imagine anyone on this board would feel that way. :wink:

No need for the passive/aggressive bit on your part or on the part of anyone else in this thread O. (As i am the only one in this whom has voiced any concern in terms of Tomlin's decision making in terms of personnel and or motives in regarding this team's future.)

Which has nothing to do with a lack of intellect, drive or ability to motivate men on Tomlin's part as he is most certainly not lacking in any of those senses.

My questioning of Tomlin has nothing to do with jealousy ,.. as I'm quite successful within my own life and Jealousy is something that is beneath a Man. But instead it's born of this nasty habit of concern on my part for the well being and success of the Steelers organization that i have not been able to shake since childhood.

Again,...you do you,...i in turn will do my thing. And we can agree to disagree whenever that may be the case.

AngryAsian
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
This thread cracks me up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Oviedo
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
This thread cracks me up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

It is rather humorous to see how easy it is to push buttons and get the expected responses within minutes.

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM

I can't fathom why it would be considered idiotic to move to a 4-3...

I said it a hundred times on the trib board in regards to the offense and it applies to the defense as well...the scheme needs to fit the players...

A conversion from a 3-4 to a 4-3 doesn't necessarily have to be difficult or lead to back-to-back .500 seasons...the key is not to get crazy with defensive assignments...

Let's look at some examples...

There were two players in particular that several board members wanted the Steelers to draft for the defensive line: Fili Moala and Terrance Taylor...who drafted them?

The Colts.

Keiwan Ratliff started 4 games last year...for the Colts...

Is it possible that the differences in the assignments on the interior of the defensive line aren't all that different between the Colts scheme and the Steelers scheme? Couldn't the same be said for DBs?

Let's take a trip in the way-back machine to 1999...Dom Capers takes over the reins of the Jacksonville Jaguars defense and runs what is essentially a 4-3 zone blitz scheme...J'ville wins 14 games and has a top 5 defense that year...

J'ville had Gary Walker and Seth Payne on the defensive line...two guys who went on to play in Capers' 3-4 scheme in Houston...

J'ville also had Tony Brackens, a defensive end who could play like an OLB...any Steelers fit that description?

J'ville also had an outstanding pass rushing LB in Bryce Paup and another outstanding LB in Kevin Hardy...any Steelers fit that description?

It isn't nearly the sea change that people make it out to be...at least, it doesn't have to be...

Steelerphile
05-05-2009, 06:58 PM

To some extent you are right. I shouldn't be engaging in any flame wars. I try to resist the impulse and I shouldn't have put down your thoughts in such a way. I will avoid direct response to you in the future. But believing in Timmons ability doesn't have a bit to do with making me sleep better. I think it is rather clear that he willl be more than capable. But time will tell.

SteelCzar76
05-05-2009, 10:11 PM

To some extent you are right. I shouldn't be engaging in any flame wars. I try to resist the impulse and I shouldn't have put down your thoughts in such a way. I will avoid direct response to you in the future. But believing in Timmons ability doesn't have a bit to do with making me sleep better. I think it is rather clear that he willl be more than capable. But time will tell.

It's nothing homie,..all people aren't going to agree on all things all of the time. In regards to your boy Timmons,..in a sense i want to see him live up to the grand expectations that some have for him.( As that would be beneficial to the Steelers)

Though if i was a betting man,....i wouldn't put any substantial money on it. But with that said,..nothing's impossible,...highly improbable perhaps,....but not impossible.

Slapstick
05-05-2009, 11:16 PM
It's nothing homie,..all people aren't going to agree on all things all of the time. In regards to your boy Timmons,..in a sense i want to see him live up to the grand expectations that some have for him.( As that would be beneficial to the Steelers)

Though if i was a betting man,....i wouldn't put any substantial money on it. But with that said,..nothing's impossible,...highly improbable perhaps,....but not impossible.

Your opinion is duly noted and, for the most part, ignored... :tt2

ikestops85
05-06-2009, 12:38 PM

I can't fathom why it would be considered idiotic to move to a 4-3...

I said it a hundred times on the trib board in regards to the offense and it applies to the defense as well...the scheme needs to fit the players...

A conversion from a 3-4 to a 4-3 doesn't necessarily have to be difficult or lead to back-to-back .500 seasons...the key is not to get crazy with defensive assignments...

Let's look at some examples...

There were two players in particular that several board members wanted the Steelers to draft for the defensive line: Fili Moala and Terrance Taylor...who drafted them?

The Colts.

Keiwan Ratliff started 4 games last year...for the Colts...

Is it possible that the differences in the assignments on the interior of the defensive line aren't all that different between the Colts scheme and the Steelers scheme? Couldn't the same be said for DBs?

Let's take a trip in the way-back machine to 1999...Dom Capers takes over the reins of the Jacksonville Jaguars defense and runs what is essentially a 4-3 zone blitz scheme...J'ville wins 14 games and has a top 5 defense that year...

J'ville had Gary Walker and Seth Payne on the defensive line...two guys who went on to play in Capers' 3-4 scheme in Houston...

J'ville also had Tony Brackens, a defensive end who could play like an OLB...any Steelers fit that description?

J'ville also had an outstanding pass rushing LB in Bryce Paup and another outstanding LB in Kevin Hardy...any Steelers fit that description?

It isn't nearly the sea change that people make it out to be...at least, it doesn't have to be...

Here is the reason I think it would be idiotic to switch to a 4-3. We are coming off a season where we played a 3-4 defense and it was considered by many to rank amongst the best defenses in the history of the league. We have lost 2 members of that starting defense. A solid corner and a solid inside linebacker. I don't think many would consider either player to be a cornerstone of the defense. We have a corner, Gay, whom started in several games last year and played well as one replacement and we have a 1st round pick whom garnered quite a bit of playing time and did well as the linebacker replacement.

Now, I agree that the system you run should fit your personnel. So if you have a great defense and basically have not lost anyone you could not replace why in the world would you switch your scheme? That's why I think it would be idiotic.

Slapstick
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Here is the reason I think it would be idiotic to switch to a 4-3. We are coming off a season where we played a 3-4 defense and it was considered by many to rank amongst the best defenses in the history of the league. We have lost 2 members of that starting defense. A solid corner and a solid inside linebacker. I don't think many would consider either player to be a cornerstone of the defense. We have a corner, Gay, whom started in several games last year and played well as one replacement and we have a 1st round pick whom garnered quite a bit of playing time and did well as the linebacker replacement.

Now, I agree that the system you run should fit your personnel. So if you have a great defense and basically have not lost anyone you could not replace why in the world would you switch your scheme? That's why I think it would be idiotic.

Well, I've said this before and I'll say it again...as long as Dick LeBeau wants to remain employed by the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Steelers will most likely line up in a 3-4...

LeBeau will be 72 this year...he's not going to stay around forever...he may want to coach for several more years...

In addition to losing guys like Foote and McFadden, others like Brett Keisel and Casey Hampton are entering the final year of their contract...

Now, the Steelers will have the following defensive players locked up for the next several years:

James Harrison
James Farrior
Aaron Smith
Troy Polamalu

In addition, they have some young defenders that will be around for awhile:

Lawrence Timmons
LaMarr Woodley
Ziggy Hood

For the next few years, that is the nucleus of the defense...depending upon who they draft and how long LeBeau sticks around, I wouldn't rule out any future changes beyond this season...

SteelCzar76
05-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Your opinion is duly noted and, for the most part, ignored... :tt2

As i generally ignore elementary School homerism myself,.....so i guess that we have a certain degree of indifference in common. Wouldn't you say ?,... :lol:

Slapstick
05-09-2009, 08:39 AM
As i generally ignore elementary School homerism myself,.....

I also generaly ignore elementary school contrariness... :lol:

Oviedo
05-09-2009, 10:39 AM

:Clap

SteelCzar76
05-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Nah,...consider it the objective and rational "Yang" awareness to the "Yin" "We are the greatest!" cheerleader perspective. :lol:

Slapstick
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Nah,...consider it the objective and rational "Yang" awareness to the "Yin" "We are the greatest!" cheerleader perspective. :lol:

If it were either objective or rational, I would consider it to be so... :lol:

SteelCzar76
05-09-2009, 02:00 PM

If it were either objective or rational, I would consider it to be so... :lol:

And such is your opinion sweetheart. As your entitled to as much. :tt1