PDA

View Full Version : Farrior sad to see Foote leave

fordfixer
05-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Steelers Notebook: Farrior sad to see Foote leave
Monday, May 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09124/967522-66.stm

Minicamp is over, and so is the Steelers career of linebacker Larry Foote. The Steelers are likely to release Foote this week, unless they can convince some team such as Detroit to throw them a bone of a seventh-round draft choice.

"I'm sad to see him go," said linebacker James Farrior, captain of the defense and one of Foote's closest teammates. "I don't know what's going to happen with him in the future but it's probably not too likely that he's going to be here."

Farrior said he talks to Foote often and that "he wants to be a starter, he wants to be the guy.

"I don't think his opportunity has really been that way here. It's a decision he has to make. I wish him well. I hope everything works out for him. We all still love him in this locker room, and all the coaches still love him. He has to do what's best for him."

Foote has one year left on his contract that would pay him $2,885,000. Although he has not missed a start in the past five seasons, he rarely played on passing downs.

The Steelers did not ask him to take a pay cut, but Foote believed that Lawrence Timmons, entering his third season, would start in his place. He also said last week that he wanted to play where he would not come off the field on third downs.

Asked if he thought Timmons was ready to play every down, Farrior said, "He has to be ready, he doesn't really have a choice.

"But I think he's coming around, he's really learning the defenses a lot more. The coaches have done a good job teaching him what he needs to know. It's just got to be a situation with me feeling comfortable with him and us with communication on the field. We just have to go through practice with that."

Coach Mike Tomlin provided no more insight yesterday on the team's plans for Foote after the two sides mutually agreed for him to not attend the mandatory minicamp that ended yesterday.
Quick hits

Tomlin gathered his team together for a few minutes in uniform and then sent them home without conducting the fifth minicamp practice yesterday. ... The Steelers have off until they resume voluntary spring practices May 19. ... Running back Mewelde Moore has a sprained ankle after stepping on a teammate's foot Saturday but should be able to practice when workouts resume, Tomlin said. ... The Steelers probably will receive their Super Bowl rings next month. "It's going to be nice," said Farrior, who had input in the design. "It's going to be real big and it's going to have a lot of bling, so we're happy."
First published on May 4, 2009 at 12:00 am

phillyesq
05-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Steelers Notebook: Farrior sad to see Foote leave
Monday, May 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09124/967522-66.stm

Asked if he thought Timmons was ready to play every down, Farrior said, "He has to be ready, he doesn't really have a choice.

"But I think he's coming around, he's really learning the defenses a lot more. The coaches have done a good job teaching him what he needs to know. It's just got to be a situation with me feeling comfortable with him and us with communication on the field. We just have to go through practice with that."

First published on May 4, 2009 at 12:00 am

Hmm. Not exactly the unequivocal endorsement that I would have liked to see.

steelsnis
05-04-2009, 09:29 AM
He's just sticking up for his friend of many years, Foote. I have no worries that Timmons will be able to step in and flourish this season. He's only 23 years old, still younger than some incoming rookies.

SteelCzar76
05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
He's just sticking up for his friend of many years, Foote. I have no worries that Timmons will be able to step in and flourish this season. He's only 23 years old, still younger than some incoming rookies.

Or, he (Potsie) could justifiably be somewhat concerned about his (Timmons) ability (or lack thereof) to be exceptionally effective as the starter at the ILB position for the duration of an entire season.

Which has more to do with say acumen, strength, awareness, technique, execution, ability to shed blocks and fill well against the run,....than age, humility and or quickness in "pursuit".

steelsnis
05-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Czar,

I understand you really don't like Timmons. I get that. But what I'm not sure of is why? You talk about size and strength. He's 6'1", 235. Foote is 6'1" 239. Both are virtually the same size as Farrior. He's clearly faster and more athletic than Foote. Had more tackles than Foote while playing fewer snaps.

Now Foote absolutely has an edge on Timmons as far as knowing the defense and experience etc. He also has proven to be a stout run defender, something Timmons has yet to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Foote to stay on the team as an extra backer but he clearly wants out. To me, wanting to leave a two-time Super Bowl winning team because you're worried that a younger player is gunning for your spot is kinda suspect, but that's another story.

You keep mentioning his lack of experience from college as a factor. Who cares? The guy is 23 years old and had 60+ tackles playing part time on a Super Bowl winning team last year. All while flashing major talent and ability in sniffing out plays and making huge hits.

Sure he got trucked at the goal line by a 250 lb running back but if you think McLain wouldn't have gotten that 1/2 yard against Foote or Farrior you're mistaken. He also blew up opponents (see Derrick Mason) and regularly diagnosed and ran down running backs and tight ends on screens and short passes.

Just sayin, don't overlook his good qualities and only highlight the negatives because you can't stand the guy.

Farrior, Timmons, Woodley and Harrison. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

SteelCzar76
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Czar,

I understand you really don't like Timmons. I get that. But what I'm not sure of is why? You talk about size and strength. He's 6'1", 235. Foote is 6'1" 239. Both are virtually the same size as Farrior. He's clearly faster and more athletic than Foote. Had more tackles than Foote while playing fewer snaps.

Now Foote absolutely has an edge on Timmons as far as knowing the defense and experience etc. He also has proven to be a stout run defender, something Timmons has yet to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Foote to stay on the team as an extra backer but he clearly wants out. To me, wanting to leave a two-time Super Bowl winning team because you're worried that a younger player is gunning for your spot is kinda suspect, but that's another story.

You keep mentioning his lack of experience from college as a factor. Who cares? The guy is 23 years old and had 60+ tackles playing part time on a Super Bowl winning team last year. All while flashing major talent and ability in sniffing out plays and making huge hits.

Sure he got trucked at the goal line by a 250 lb running back but if you think McLain wouldn't have gotten that 1/2 yard against Foote or Farrior you're mistaken. He also blew up opponents (see Derrick Mason) and regularly diagnosed and ran down running backs and tight ends on screens and short passes.

Just sayin, don't overlook his good qualities and only highlight the negatives because you can't stand the guy.

Farrior, Timmons, Woodley and Harrison. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

It's not that i discount what the kid does well Steel,...he's got good sideline to sideline athleticism and as everyone knows,..chases the ball well. I'm just not as prepared to anoint him as an exceptional talent as a linebacker (let alone a potentially "great" player) as others are at this time because they would very much like for him to be. You have to be a far more complete player to be considered elite in not only my eyes, but in those of your peers and those viewing you objectively in my opinion.

As i alluded to in another thread (and even listed players),...truly exceptional players, especially those that are drafted as such,...far more often than not,.. EARN a starting spot by at least their second season at all positions in the league with the exception of the QB position. You just cannot keep them off of the field.

Not to say that Timmons is a bum,.....but he's not the second coming of Greg lloyd or Derick Brooks as Tomlin thought and would like for everyone else to believe because he personally has a great physical and mental affinity for the kid.

The very nature of his abilities dictate that Timmons is a decent outside backer in a 4-3, serviceable outside in a 3-4,....but below average as a Mike linebacker in the former system or inside in that latter, as he is considerably lacking in terms of the most important qualities and or attributes that would dictate a player's success at those (middle/inside) positions. (None of which said abilities happens to be humility, the ability to chase plays backside, or how much the head coach loves you.)

For me it's not personal,...it's business,....as nothing on Timmons' resume, in terms of production or measurables (be it in the pros or on the collegiate level) "screams" and or says to me and others that he can play ILB in a 3-4 with any great effectiveness.

And as such,..i cannot or will not simply say with any confidence,.."Oh yeah,..we're set at ILB with Timmons ! Tomlin knows greatness when he sees it ! Just look at how incredibly productive Mindy, Sepulveda, Bruce Davis, Sweed, Mwelde, Carey Davis and Spaeth are !!!" (Not that you are,..but that's how unsubstantial claims of Timmons' greatness sound to me)

Bottom line,...i'm just not sold on the new regime's perception of what type of "talent" creates an exceptional and or dominant football team as opposed to just being ordinary and or "just good enough" to compete,...and that includes Timmons.

papillon
05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
The very nature of his abilities dictate that Timmons is a decent outside backer in a 4-3, serviceable outside in a 3-4,....but below average as a Mike linebacker in the former system or inside in that latter, as he is considerably lacking in terms of the most important qualities and or attributes that would dictate a player's success at those (middle/inside) positions. (None of which said abilities happens to be humility, the ability to chase plays backside, or how much the head coach loves you.)

Where have you seen enough film to make these assessments about Timmons? By all accounts the only film of him playing in the NFL was last year as an ILB in the 34. There is no film on him playing the 43 at all in the NFL. Declaring him a "decent" 43 is as impossible as me stating that he is an above average 43 OLB. It simply can't be done there is no film to study to make those claims. Calling Timmons a "serviceable" 34 backer just seems premature at this point. We only have last year to use as a measuring stick and whether you want to admit it or not, you have to admit that he played better than serviceable.

Based on what we saw of him last year you have to think he will be a bit better than "serviceable" in the 34 this upcoming year. He would have to really take some steps backwards not to be better this year playing 100% of the snaps and with another year under his belt of Dick Lebeau's playbook.

Papillon

frankthetank1
05-04-2009, 05:04 PM
timmons is taking foote's spot not a future hall of famer. foote is a very average mlb. timmons was ready last year to take over imo. 70 something tackles is amazing considering the playing time he had. its going to be very exciting with timmons in the starting lineup

Mel Blount's G
05-04-2009, 08:03 PM
May be a learning curve this season for Olajawon. Meaning, it may take him part of the season to get fully adjusted to being our full-time, every down ILB. See, it doesn't matter that timmons may be a physically gifted, freak of nature. Playing linebacker in bad word's system means your are 1/4th of a whole. Or, better yet, 1/11th of the whole. As part of the whole, you are required to operate in synch with the other parts as well as compliment those other parts. Larry had his part mastered and the other parts around him felt comfortable knowing Larry's part was taken care of and they could focus on their part. They knew how their own part would jell with Larry's part. Now, they just need to get used to someone doing that ILB part a little faster maybe and therefore adjust the speed and/or delivery of their own part. May just take a little time to become the same well-oiled machine, with all parts operating in synch and at optimal levels - i.e. the #1 ranked defense in the league. And that is something we should not forget - that our D was nearly flawless last year (we lost the rushing d title by about 3.5 yards a game to mini I believe) and so naturally some guys may be nervous about the change at ILB (fixing what ain't broke?). If the pro-Timmons fans' hopes are fullfilled, our D gets even better with timmons' mutant abilities wreaking havoc all over the field with no loss in our ability to stuff the run. If the anti-Timmons fans' concerns are realized, then teams will not only run the ball more effectively on us, particularly right up the middle, but Timmons will be ineffective blitzing because he can't/won't blow-over/get through running backs who pick him up on those blitzes