PDA

View Full Version : Five Things You Probably Don't Know About the Steelers

fordfixer
05-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Five Things You Probably Don't Know About the Steelers

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/382 ... e-steelers (http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/382779-five-things-you-probably-dont-know-about-the-steelers)

With six Super Bowl trophies in their trophy case, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a solid claim at being one of the best pro football franchises ever. The Steelers have not always experienced this type of success though as there was an extended period of subpar play that began when they first took the field as the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1933, and extended up until the 1970s. The mid-1970s Steelers made quite an impact though, winning four Super Bowls in a span of six years. Since that time, the Steelers have been a team that all other NFL squads have had to take seriously. Here are five things you probably don't know about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

1. The first wide receiver to win the Super Bowl MVP Award was the Pittsburgh Steelers' Lynn Swann.

2. Steelers quarterback and Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw's last touchdown pass of his career came against the New York Jets in a 1983 road game. This would be the last NFL touchdown pass completed in New York City as the Jets would begin playing their home games in New Jersey the very next year.

3. Only 49ers great Steve Young has more career rushing touchdows as a quarterback than former Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart.

4. Mike Webster was the longtime center for the Pittsburgh Steelers, eventually earning enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He also has the distinction of being named the starting center on both the 1970s NFL All Decade Team as well as the 1980s NFL All Decade Team.

5. In the entire history of the Pittsburgh Steelers, dating back to 1933, the team has only posted one winless season. That year of no victories came in 1943 when because of worker shortages related to World War II they had combined their roster with the Chicago Cardinals and gone 0-10.

The Steelers have had a long and colorful history in the National Football League, they have finished on both the top and bottom of the league standings. The team has also had some great players over the years including Elbie Nickel, Ernie Stautner, Andy Russell, Jack Butler, Terry Bradshaw, Jerome Bettis, Mean Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Rocky Bleier, Bennie Cunningham, Dwight White, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Franco Harris, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Mel Blount, Greg Lloyd, Ben Roethlisberger, Larry Brown, Mike Webster, Donnie Shell, Rod Woodson and Troy Polamalu, and Gary Anderson. Without a doubt, the Steelers will go on being one of the more important franchises in the NFL for many years to come.

For more great Steelers information check out Pittsburgh Blitz

Discipline of Steel
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I like #3. Kordell wasnt terrible overall, although he had his moments. Im glad to see he has a distinction other than the guy who received the most undue harassment during his career.

rpmpit
05-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I remember #2. I was only 10 but I remember the game pretty vividly. Living in NJ, the only time I got to see the Steelers play was on Monday Night Football or when the played the Jets or Giants.

And DoS, I agree that Kordell wasn't terrible. He had all the talent in the world but he couldn't handle the big pressure games. Seems like when we needed a big play, in a big game, he usually choked. Sad. He could have delivered a few more Super Bowls to Pittsburgh. Then again, if he had succeeded, we probably don't get Ben. Everything happens for a reason.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I knew 1, 4, & 5. Didn't realize that Bradshaw's last TD pass was the last TD pass thrown in NYC before the Jets and Giants moved to Jersey, and I figured that the record for most rushing TD's by a QB would be by someone like Fran Tarkenton or Randall Cunningham.

pfelix73
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I'll never forget Bradshaw's last game against the Jets. I didn't know about the other tidbit though.

I remember seeing him walk off the field and his elbow and arm looked like it was a piece of macaroni....

True Fan
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I like #3. Kordell wasnt terrible overall, although he had his moments. Im glad to see he has a distinction other than the guy who received the most undue harassment during his career.

i disagree

frankthetank1
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":hbbjvbnw]I like #3. Kordell wasnt terrible overall, although he had his moments. Im glad to see he has a distinction other than the guy who received the most undue harassment during his career.

i disagree[/quote:hbbjvbnw]

i was never a kordell fan but he did have one year he went to the pro bowl. i believe in 01 so he did have his moments. he was awful in big games though. they definetly stuck with kordell for too long. i also figured that cunningham had the most rushing tds for a qb. good for korkie. i always felt he could have been a pro bowl wr if he wanted to. good thing he chose to be a below average to average qb

ramblinjim
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Oh Kordell...

DOS, I agree that he had all the talent in the world, that guy probably could have been an all-pro wide receiver; speed, hands, etc.

But it seemed like anytime we played a team that could disguise coverages and had DB's that could play, he just couldn't make the reads. I always felt bad for Kordell, I just wasn't sure he had what it took upstairs to be THE MAN at QB against top notch competition.

skyhawk
05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I remember that game vividly. Bradshaw threw 2 TD's that day. One to Greg Garrity and one to Calvin Sweeney. They won easily 34-7.

That was also the beginning of the nauseating presence of Cliff Stoudt.

ANPSTEEL
05-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I remember that game vividly. Bradshaw threw 2 TD's that day. One to Greg Garrity...

That is the answer to the trivia question
Who caught TBs last td?

skyhawk
05-05-2009, 12:14 AM
I remember that game vividly. Bradshaw threw 2 TD's that day. One to Greg Garrity...

Who caught TBs last td?

Sweeney. It was a 10 yard pass. His number I think was 85 pr 86. And Garrity's was 83.

ANPSTEEL
05-05-2009, 12:45 AM

Who caught TBs last td?

Sweeney. It was a 10 yard pass. His number I think was 85 pr 86. And Garrity's was 83.
you've got it backwards
Garrity was 86
From NA

ANPSTEEL
05-05-2009, 12:57 AM

Who caught TBs last td?

you've got it backwards
Garrity was 86
From NA
Damn
I'm wrong
It was sweeny
Garrity was 86 though
:oops: