PDA

View Full Version : Lions might not be interested in trading for Larry Foote

fordfixer
05-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Lions might not be interested in trading for Larry Foote
by Tom Kowalski
Sunday May 03, 2009, 1:26 PM

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ested.html (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/05/lions_might_not_be_interested.html)

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew wouldn't speak specifically of linebacker Larry Foote because he's currently playing for another NFL team (Pittsburgh Steelers) and there are tampering rules. The Steelers are attempting to deal Foote and get something for him before possibly releasing him but Mayhew hinted today that the Lions might not be interested in trading for Foote -- at least not at the price the Steelers are asking.

"Let me say this, anytime there's a good player out there who can help us win football games, we're going to do all the research we have to do and do everything we can to investigate that player and we're going to place a value on that player,'' Mayhew said. "We'll pursue that player until it gets to the point where the cost to get that player exceeds that value.''

If the Steelers can't get the trade value they want, they're expected to release Foote but there's no telling when that might be.

Also, Mayhew said the Lions are in communication with free agent defensive end Kevin Carter, but that a signing isn't "imminent.'' Because Carter is a 14-year veteran who is in excellent physical shape, he's the type of player that might not get signed until the training camp two-a-days are coming to a close.

"I don't think he's got a sense of urgency to do anything right now,'' said Mayhew, adding that the Lions will take a look at some free agent veterans this week. The Lions will try to fill some holes that weren't filled in the draft. "We'll have some guys in for tryouts this week, some older players.''

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
They think they do not have to trade for him because Foote has already expressed a desire to go to his hometown if he is released. This could blow up in the Lions' faces, though, because we can still trade him to some other team if they are not interested in trading.

NKySteeler
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't expect them to trade for him at all.... If it's public knowledge that he's gonna be released, just wait it out...

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't expect them to trade for him at all.... If it's public knowledge that he's gonna be released, just wait it out...

In the mean time, though, Colbert could be on the phone with the Broncos or Packers or Chiefs or Colts or...

NKySteeler
05-03-2009, 05:36 PM

In the mean time, though, Colbert could be on the phone with the Broncos or Packers or Chiefs or Colts or...

Maybe, maybe not... There hasn't been any interest up till now.... Will probably remain that way, who knows....

... One thing for sure is that he's already said publically that he would desire to play in Detroit... They may get him w/o giving anything up.... Given the fact that "they're Detroit", why not wait and gamble?....

Chavezz
05-03-2009, 08:21 PM
One of the benefits in trading for Foote is that you would then pick up his contract. If he's cut, then you have to renegotiate his deal. Right now, foote has a very cap friendly deal.

It might be beneficial to throw a mid to late rd pick at the Steelers to maintain that contract.

True Fan
05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
i say unless the steelers receive a 4th or better, they hang onto foote as long as possible to screw him over to make some decent money and the team that trades for him/pciks him up to learn their new system in time to contribuite right away

stlrz d
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Isn't Detroit first on the waiver wire anyway?

If so, their only gamble is that we don't get a deal done with another team. If he's released and they're first on the wire they get first crack at him, right?

NKySteeler
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM

If so, their only gamble is that we don't get a deal done with another team. If he's released and they're first on the wire they get first crack at him, right?

I believe that if he's given his outright release, he can sign with any team he wants to... Right?

stlrz d
05-03-2009, 11:26 PM

I believe that if he's given his outright release, he can sign with any team he wants to... Right?

I'm not sure.

Is there a difference between being waived and being released?

NKySteeler
05-03-2009, 11:37 PM

I'm sure there is... But I'll be honest in that in this case I'm not sure how it would go... I figured that he'd be able to sign anywhere he wants if we cut him loose this week... Wouldn't it be just like a FA that can sign with any team he wants to?.... If the Steelers release him, he's free as a bird... And can sign with any team he wants to play for, which would be Detroit (according to his comments this past week).... At least I think so...

stlrz d
05-03-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm sure there is... But I'll be honest in that in this case I'm not sure how it would go... I figured that he'd be able to sign anywhere he wants if we cut him loose this week... Wouldn't it be just like a FA that can sign with any team he wants to?.... If the Steelers release him, he's free as a bird... And can sign with any team he wants to play for, which would be Detroit (according to his comments this past week).... At least I think so...

Just did a quick search and the Waiver Rule states that any player with 4 years or more of service is not subject to the waiver system. So Larry would be free to sign with any team.

I should have looked that rule up a long time ago instead of always assuming. :oops:

calmkiller
05-04-2009, 01:45 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1jrbn0yh]Is there a difference between being waived and being released?

Just did a quick search and the Waiver Rule states that any player with 4 years or more of service is not subject to the waiver system. So Larry would be free to sign with any team.

I should have looked that rule up a long time ago instead of always assuming. :oops:[/quote:1jrbn0yh]

I was just going to say this. It is basically the same rule that is in the new CBA, how a player how has to be in the league for 6 years before he can become a FA outright. It is just like the RFA rule.