PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Day 3 minicamp notes

NKySteeler
05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Steelers Day 3 minicamp notes
May 3, 2009 2:30 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

PITTSBURGH-The defending champion Pittsburgh Steelers wrapped up their mandatory minicamp with an extremely light morning session Sunday.

Here are some final thoughts and observations this weekend:

Steelers' starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks healthy and rested. He hasn't thrown prior to OTAs also provided an interesting nugget Sunday, saying he still hasn't watched the final game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals. Why, you ask?

"Because I know what happened," said a smiling Roethlisberger.

If I had to pick one player I was most impressed with (outside of the obvious), I would have to say second-year receiver Limas Sweed. Everyone is aware of his struggles last season. But during this three-day camp, Sweed received a lot of reps and made a lot of plays. The 2008 second-round pick will be relied upon this season and it looks like he's making significant strides.

I received several questions in the AFC North inbox about the performance of the offensive line. And, frankly, I find it nearly impossible to evaluate the position during a non-contact minicamp. That's why there aren't many reports on the line this weekend. To say a player blocked well or didn't block well when contact is not allowed wouldn't be accurate enough for my liking.

The Steelers came out of this camp healthy. Players coming off offseason surgeries such as receiver Hines Ward (knee) and safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) did not participate, and the only new injury was an ankle sprain to backup tailback Mewelde Moore, who had his heel stepped on this weekend.

"It's nothing long term," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday. "He should be able to get back to work the latter part of next week and continue on with his off-season program."

There was no update Sunday on the Larry Foote situation. The inside linebacker did not attend this weekend's minicamp and is still on the roster. Tomlin wouldn't elaborate beyond his comments Friday on Foote's future with the team.

----------------------------------------------
Here are the Post-Gazette vids from all 3 days of minicamp...

Day 1:
http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoID=101839

Day 2:
http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoID=101842

Day 3:
http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoID=101845

AngryAsian
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
The highlighted sounds extremely promising. It seems that in both WR and CB there will be a lot of competition. I already made a bet with my buddy (Cheats* fan) that the Steelers will go farther in the playoffs than the Cheats* will. I told him that Brady will be a shadow of his former self.

NKySteeler
05-03-2009, 04:57 PM
You know, it just MAY come down to a head-to-head matchup for you to win your bet... Personally, I don't think Brady will have too much trouble. And I would absolutely LOVE for the Steelers to knock them out of the playoffs while Brady is at the helm...

Scarletfire1970
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Good news about Sweed. I hope he turns the corner this year.

Ben didn't watch that drive? I've only seen it about 500 thousand times. If I were him I'd have had to watch it.

steelers43
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
You know, it just MAY come down to a head-to-head matchup for you to win your bet... Personally, I don't think Brady will have too much trouble. And I would absolutely LOVE for the Steelers to knock them out of the playoffs while Brady is at the helm...

Totally agree. Beating NE in the playoffs would be ALMOST as good as a SB victory.

SidSmythe
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I have high expectations for Sweed.

He's a 1st round prospect who dropped into the 2nd round b/c of injury.

Plus after his HUGE drop last year in the AFC Champ game, he came back and made plays afterwards. That impressed me tremendously.

Discipline of Steel
05-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Totally agree. Beating NE in the playoffs would be ALMOST as good as a SB victory.

I trhink if we beat NE (preferably in the playoffs) then win the Super Bowl, we have legitimate claim to team of the decade.

NKySteeler
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I trhink if we beat NE (preferably in the playoffs) then win the Super Bowl, we have legitimate claim to team of the decade.

Well, since we don't have 'em on the schedule for this coming year, it's gonna have to be in the playoffs... :lol: ...Seriously though, I really think we can beat them and put this issue to bed forever (about us not being able to beat them)....

... And I agree... If it works out that way, that would possibly mean 3 SBs in 5 years, and a legitimate claim to "dynasty" status.... But first thing's first.... Kick some major butt in the upcoming season... :wink:

The "one" thing that possibly bothers me is this:
All last season everyone was saying that our tough schedule made us ready for the playoffs... And I agree... So the question that begs is this; "What will our easy schedule do for us this year?".... We can't have it both ways...

Discipline of Steel
05-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Well, since we don't have 'em on the schedule for this coming year, it's gonna have to be in the playoffs... :lol: ...Seriously though, I really think we can beat them and put this issue to bed forever (about us not being able to beat them)....

... And I agree... If it works out that way, that would possibly mean 3 SBs in 5 years, and a legitimate claim to "dynasty" status.... But first thing's first.... Kick some major butt in the upcoming season... :wink:

All last season everyone was saying that our tough schedule made us ready for the playoffs... And I agree... So the question that begs is this; "What will our easy schedule do for us this year?".... We can't have it both ways...

But I think that is counterbalanced by the fact that we fought through a tough season to emerge as champions and learned the humility required to win games. In other words, the will still have a touch of being 'battle hardened' left this year.

birtikidis
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM

I agree with DoS
but remember our schedule was tough on paper at the beginning of the year and then turned out to be less difficult (slightly i know) but the same could happen for next years schedule. it could look easy on paper then be much more difficult than anticipated.

and when we beat *'s in the playoffs and then win the SB, we WILL have a dynasty.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-04-2009, 01:10 AM

I would count on most of the games being close for the simple fact that if we do get up by 2 TD's Bruce Arians grounds the ball and we then go to a turtle up offense. We will continue to force a non existent running game instead of focusing on our good passing game with runs thrown in to keep teams honest.

Right now with a 100 million dollar QB and all the receiving weapons we should have been running an offense like we did for the first part of the AFCCG & Superbowl. Hitting Hines, Holmes, Heath and now Sweed, McDonald, Mendenhall out of the backfield, on quick hitting routes with more pitches and draws, inside screens to the blitzing sides, etc.

Oviedo
05-04-2009, 08:31 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":3fg2aqth]I trhink if we beat NE (preferably in the playoffs) then win the Super Bowl, we have legitimate claim to team of the decade.

I would count on most of the games being close for the simple fact that if we do get up by 2 TD's Bruce Arians grounds the ball and we then go to a turtle up offense. We will continue to force a non existent running game instead of focusing on our good passing game with runs thrown in to keep teams honest.

Right now with a 100 million dollar QB and all the receiving weapons we should have been running an offense like we did for the first part of the AFCCG & Superbowl. Hitting Hines, Holmes, Heath and now Sweed, McDonald, Mendenhall out of the backfield, on quick hitting routes with more pitches and draws, inside screens to the blitzing sides, etc.[/quote:3fg2aqth]

Hitting Hines, Holmes, Heath and now Sweed, McDonald, Mendenhall out of the backfield, on quick hitting routes with more pitches and draws, inside screens to the blitzing sides, etc

I totally agree but remember Ben not Arians controls most of these type of plays by calling audibles to hot reads and reacting to the defense. This is an element of Ben's game that needs to improve because we leave lots of opportunities on the field.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Good news about Sweed. I hope he turns the corner this year.

Ben didn't watch that drive? I've only seen it about 500 thousand times. If I were him I'd have had to watch it.

In the words of the immortal Pee Wee Herman:

"I don't have to see it, Dottie. I lived it."

MeetJoeGreene
05-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Who actually picks the unofficial "team of the decade". Because, given the slurpfest bestowed upon the Pats* on ESPN and NFLN, it doesnt' matter WHAT happens this year - the Pats* are going to be it.

Oviedo
05-04-2009, 04:43 PM

I'm not so sure our schedule will be "easy." I think the AFC North will be tough and it will be highly unlikely we go 6-0. The Chicago game could be very tough. Throw in a couple of other games like Tennessee so we could easily finish 11-5 or even 10-6.

All that matters is winning the AFC North. We saw that last year when we had homefield throughout because the Titans got knocked off.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I only have this to say about that -

Here we go Steelers, here we go!!