PDA

View Full Version : Speedy return on investment-Joe Burnett

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I really think this kid will be a valuable addition. He is a better CB than people who have not watched him are assuming. He is coming in and will work his butt off and will surprise any skeptics.

Speedy return on investment could come from cornerback Burnett

Thursday, April 30, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Joe Burnett, fifth-round pick from UCFJoe Burnett is a different type of cornerback from the one the Steelers drafted two rounds before him. He is smaller, less physical and, for at least the time being, not a player who is going to linein press coverage and bump some NFL receivers at the line of scrimmage.

The Steelers already had drafted that type of cornerback when they took Oregon State's Keenan Lewis, 6 feet 1, 208 pounds, in the third round. They wanted a different type of cornerback when they selected Burnett, 5-9, 192 pounds, in the fifth round.

And they got him.

"He has a chance to do something when he gets the ball in his hands," said George O'Leary, Burnett's head coach at the University of Central Florida. "He makes plays."

Burnett is a defensive playmaker, an athletic cornerback who intercepted 16 passes and also returned five kicks -- three punts, two kickoffs --for touchdowns in four seasons at Central Florida.

He was so quick as a basketball guard at Eustis (Fla.) High School that he was nominated for the McDonald's All-America game. And he was so athletic as a cornerback in college that Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton referred to him as a defensive version of Antwaan Randle El.

"Hopefully, on the defensive side, that is what he can be -- a guy who can do a multitude of things for us," Horton said. "When you look at him statistically, he is very productive. He is a guy who was a playmaker for them, and we expect him to be a playmaker for us in a multitude of ways."

The Steelers can only hope Burnett will be the same type of playmaker as Randle El, especially as a returner. That was one of the reasons they drafted him with the 168th overall pick: To improve their kick- and punt-return units that ranked 29th and 31st, respectively, in the NFL in 2008.

Burnett returned 26 punts for 378 yards (14.5 avg.) and 26 kickoffs for 745 yards (28.7 avg.) with two touchdowns last season at Central Florida. He was named first-team All-Conference USA as a cornerback, punt-returner and kick-returner.

"He was a good athlete to begin with, and you saw steady improvement each year," O'Leary said yesterday from his office in Orlando, Fla. "He got better with some of his coverage skills. He's not afraid to be on an island out there. He's like all those kids with a lot of confidence -- he welcomes that. And he does all the things that kids who make it [to the NFL] do. He always wanted to know what he could do to get better."

The Steelers envision Burnett as a nickel back who will use his athletic skills to react to the ball and make interceptions. Several scouting reports said he plays well in zone defense where he is adept at passing receivers off in coverage and instinctively breaking on the ball.

In that sense, he is a different type of player than Lewis, who has the physical skills to play on the edge and help in run support.

"Keenan Lewis is a player who can do some things that you like to do in the NFL, especially with the type of receivers that are in the league right now," Horton said. "Joe is the type of player who isn't as big as Keenan, but he is a guy who is a little more elusive and a better athlete at the ball with his return abilities. It is a good mix having a big, strong corner and having a smaller, athletic corner. It's a good balance to have on your team."

And Burnett, a four-year starter at Central Florida, doesn't mind the competition for the fourth cornerback spot with Lewis. It all starts tomorrow when the three-day minicamp for rookies begins at the Steelers' South Side facility.

"Now that the draft is over, from the first slots to the seventh round, every guy has to come in and compete and work for a position," Burnett said. "Now, we're at the moment where we have to go in and work for a job. It doesn't end right here. That's how I feel about it.

"I went in the fifth round, but I feel like I'm in the same boat as the third-round pick at cornerback. He and I are competing now for the job. And I want the job."

O'Leary, who was defensive coordinator for two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, beginning in 2002, said he thought Burnett would be a good fit for the Steelers, even before they drafted him. He said he saw Burnett as "an athletic nickel back" who would work well in their defensive schemes.

It didn't hurt, either, that Burnett is the type of high-character player the Steelers seem to embrace.

"You wish you had more of those kinds of kids," O'Leary said. "It wasn't just how he performed on the field, but off the field, too. He's a class kid. He was never in my office with any kind of problem."

phillyesq
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I know that you've been pimping this guy for a while, and I like everything I've heard about him so far. He sounds kind of like Deshea and Willie Gay in that he seems to have good football intelligence, but is lacking in measurables, with the added bonus of return and playmaking ability.

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I know that you've been pimping this guy for a while, and I like everything I've heard about him so far. He sounds kind of like Deshea and Willie Gay in that he seems to have good football intelligence, but is lacking in measurables, with the added bonus of return and playmaking ability.

In a pass happy Conference USA he was rarely challenged. Definition of a playmaker.

WoodleyofTroy
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I know nothing about Burnett, but the way you're talking about him reminds of how I felt about William Gay the year we drafted him. That could be a good thing, as Willie G gets to show his stuff in a starting role after being a 5th round draft pick.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
A little about measurables. A smaller prospect with shorter legs could give up some time in the 40. You need to look at his triangles times. The guy is as good as anyone in the draft in an area on the field. Steelers don't run pure bump & run in the nickel and dime. You put Burnett on the field in a zone and he will make big plays. That is how Townsend is making his living. You put Burnett on a goaline to goaline sprint with all WRs in this league he will loose some races. You put him in a 3-point 20 yard reaction drill he will beat alot of them. We will see "Eric Metcalf" skills from him in the return game. Metcalf would never beat you on the watch but he didn't need to. He would make you miss or make you "flat footed" and the tenth on the watch couldn't be made up before he gets to the goaline. Lewis will be the 3 down corner. Burnett should excel at PR and nickel & dime. I was concerned about CB depth before the signing of Ratliff and the draft. If the rooks live up to their potential it is a deep position. Townsend, Ratliff, & Burnett are very good CBs for this system in the nickel & dime. Taylor, Gay, & K Lewis look to be solid 3 down CBs. Let's hope it all works out.

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
A little about measurables. A smaller prospect with shorter legs could give up some time in the 40. You need to look at his triangles times. The guy is as good as anyone in the draft in an area on the field. Steelers don't run pure bump & run in the nickel and dime. You put Burnett on the field in a zone and he will make big plays. That is how Townsend is making his living. You put Burnett on a goaline to goaline sprint with all WRs in this league he will loose some races. You put him in a 3-point 20 yard reaction drill he will beat alot of them. We will see "Eric Metcalf" skills from him in the return game. Metcalf would never beat you on the watch but he didn't need to. He would make you miss or make you "flat footed" and the tenth on the watch couldn't be made up before he gets to the goaline. Lewis will be the 3 down corner. Burnett should excel at PR and nickel & dime. I was concerned about CB depth before the signing of Ratliff and the draft. If the rooks live up to their potential it is a deep position. Townsend, Ratliff, & Burnett are very good CBs for this system in the nickel & dime. Taylor, Gay, & K Lewis look to be solid 3 down CBs. Let's hope it all works out.

You bring up a great point. If you go back to the combine results and look at the short drills Burnett has better times than the prospects who were considered at the top of the CB class.

Great analogy with Metcalf on returns. I think very accurate.

ikestops85
04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I like everything I've heard about the guy. First and foremost is that he's a playmaker which there are no measurables for and it's something you can't teach. It's something the Steelers lack in their defensive backs with the exception of Troy. Our DBs are solid, they keep the receivers in front of them and they are good tacklers. What they seem to lack is the intuitiveness on where the ball is going before it does. They rarely jump routes and make interceptions. In fact I think our LBs do that more than our DBs. Even Townsends interception returned for a TD against Dallas was more the product of a badly thrown ball than it was a great play by him.

I'm excited to see this guy play on the field ... both as a return man and a DB.

papillon
04-30-2009, 11:20 AM

As always JPN thanks for the football 101 class about DBs and the Steeler schemes. Even without this knowledge and information when you fall in love with the stop watch and measuring sticks you will make mistakes in the draft. The Oakland Raiders are proof positive of this. Al Davis has been in love with the stopwatch since Cliff Branch played for them in the 70s. Except for a few rare years they have drafted poorly chasing the next 4.3-40 WR, or sub 5.0-40 lineman, etc.

The Steelers like football players and in particular those that fit what they like to do. Give me that philosophy all day.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2009, 01:04 PM

As always JPN thanks for the football 101 class about DBs and the Steeler schemes. Even without this knowledge and information when you fall in love with the stop watch and measuring sticks you will make mistakes in the draft. The Oakland Raiders are proof positive of this. Al Davis has been in love with the stopwatch since Cliff Branch played for them in the 70s. Except for a few rare years they have drafted poorly chasing the next 4.3-40 WR, or sub 5.0-40 lineman, etc.

The Steelers like football players and in particular those that fit what they like to do. Give me that philosophy all day.

Pappy

It has to be tough being a Raiders fan. For as high as they drafted for so long you would think the team who have built something already. It is amazing that they passed on Crabtree just because the guy didn't post a 40 time. I would be willing to bet even if Crabtree did run a 40 and had a 4.49 - 4.55 they still would have passed. The level he played at in college, against that competition, with that production, how can you pass on that? I liked the draft...We got football players. The only one I see as a "measurable guy" is Wallace. However, I like the character and he seems to be a hard worker. I actually had him in my very first mock on here in the 4th. In the 3rd, you can take a shot on the "measurables" if he is a good charater guy and showed some production. I like the pick. I'm surprised the Raiders didn't take him in the 2nd!

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":819a9hfj]A little about measurables. A smaller prospect with shorter legs could give up some time in the 40. You need to look at his triangles times. The guy is as good as anyone in the draft in an area on the field. Steelers don't run pure bump & run in the nickel and dime. You put Burnett on the field in a zone and he will make big plays. That is how Townsend is making his living. You put Burnett on a goaline to goaline sprint with all WRs in this league he will loose some races. You put him in a 3-point 20 yard reaction drill he will beat alot of them. We will see "Eric Metcalf" skills from him in the return game. Metcalf would never beat you on the watch but he didn't need to. He would make you miss or make you "flat footed" and the tenth on the watch couldn't be made up before he gets to the goaline. Lewis will be the 3 down corner. Burnett should excel at PR and nickel & dime. I was concerned about CB depth before the signing of Ratliff and the draft. If the rooks live up to their potential it is a deep position. Townsend, Ratliff, & Burnett are very good CBs for this system in the nickel & dime. Taylor, Gay, & K Lewis look to be solid 3 down CBs. Let's hope it all works out.

Pappy

It has to be tough being a Raiders fan. For as high as they drafted for so long you would think the team who have built something already. It is amazing that they passed on Crabtree just because the guy didn't post a 40 time. I would be willing to bet even if Crabtree did run a 40 and had a 4.49 - 4.55 they still would have passed. The level he played at in college, against that competition, with that production, how can you pass on that? I liked the draft...We got football players. The only one I see as a "measurable guy" is Wallace. However, I like the character and he seems to be a hard worker. I actually had him in my very first mock on here in the 4th. In the 3rd, you can take a shot on the "measurables" if he is a good charater guy and showed some production. I like the pick. I'm surprised the Raiders didn't take him in the 2nd![/quote:819a9hfj]

I'm just really skeptical about 40 times as a metric. So much of the 40 time is determined by the start. Unfortunately you don't start any plays in the NFL from a sprinters stance.

I think there is much more value in 3 cone times, shutlle times, etc which measure quickness and change of direction. This has direct applicability to the NFL versus straight line speed.

Al Davis is clearly lost in this respect. He is trying to recreate the past. To bad it is gone. Even if Heyward-Bay was a great receiver they still have no QB to get him the ball. Example of treating a symptom not the cause.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":804j4yr6]A little about measurables. A smaller prospect with shorter legs could give up some time in the 40. You need to look at his triangles times. The guy is as good as anyone in the draft in an area on the field. Steelers don't run pure bump & run in the nickel and dime. You put Burnett on the field in a zone and he will make big plays. That is how Townsend is making his living. You put Burnett on a goaline to goaline sprint with all WRs in this league he will loose some races. You put him in a 3-point 20 yard reaction drill he will beat alot of them. We will see "Eric Metcalf" skills from him in the return game. Metcalf would never beat you on the watch but he didn't need to. He would make you miss or make you "flat footed" and the tenth on the watch couldn't be made up before he gets to the goaline. Lewis will be the 3 down corner. Burnett should excel at PR and nickel & dime. I was concerned about CB depth before the signing of Ratliff and the draft. If the rooks live up to their potential it is a deep position. Townsend, Ratliff, & Burnett are very good CBs for this system in the nickel & dime. Taylor, Gay, & K Lewis look to be solid 3 down CBs. Let's hope it all works out.

Pappy

It has to be tough being a Raiders fan. For as high as they drafted for so long you would think the team who have built something already. It is amazing that they passed on Crabtree just because the guy didn't post a 40 time. I would be willing to bet even if Crabtree did run a 40 and had a 4.49 - 4.55 they still would have passed. The level he played at in college, against that competition, with that production, how can you pass on that? I liked the draft...We got football players. The only one I see as a "measurable guy" is Wallace. However, I like the character and he seems to be a hard worker. I actually had him in my very first mock on here in the 4th. In the 3rd, you can take a shot on the "measurables" if he is a good charater guy and showed some production. I like the pick. I'm surprised the Raiders didn't take him in the 2nd![/quote:804j4yr6]

I don't see any significant difference between Heyward-Bey and Wallace as prospects (except for the fact that one was taken 7th overall and the other was taken in the 3rd round).

papillon
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1wf7gb2s]A little about measurables. A smaller prospect with shorter legs could give up some time in the 40. You need to look at his triangles times. The guy is as good as anyone in the draft in an area on the field. Steelers don't run pure bump & run in the nickel and dime. You put Burnett on the field in a zone and he will make big plays. That is how Townsend is making his living. You put Burnett on a goaline to goaline sprint with all WRs in this league he will loose some races. You put him in a 3-point 20 yard reaction drill he will beat alot of them. We will see "Eric Metcalf" skills from him in the return game. Metcalf would never beat you on the watch but he didn't need to. He would make you miss or make you "flat footed" and the tenth on the watch couldn't be made up before he gets to the goaline. Lewis will be the 3 down corner. Burnett should excel at PR and nickel & dime. I was concerned about CB depth before the signing of Ratliff and the draft. If the rooks live up to their potential it is a deep position. Townsend, Ratliff, & Burnett are very good CBs for this system in the nickel & dime. Taylor, Gay, & K Lewis look to be solid 3 down CBs. Let's hope it all works out.

Pappy

It has to be tough being a Raiders fan. For as high as they drafted for so long you would think the team who have built something already. It is amazing that they passed on Crabtree just because the guy didn't post a 40 time. I would be willing to bet even if Crabtree did run a 40 and had a 4.49 - 4.55 they still would have passed. The level he played at in college, against that competition, with that production, how can you pass on that? I liked the draft...We got football players. The only one I see as a "measurable guy" is Wallace. However, I like the character and he seems to be a hard worker. I actually had him in my very first mock on here in the 4th. In the 3rd, you can take a shot on the "measurables" if he is a good charater guy and showed some production. I like the pick. I'm surprised the Raiders didn't take him in the 2nd!

I don't see any significant difference between Heyward-Bey and Wallace as prospects (except for the fact that one was taken 7th overall and the other was taken in the 3rd round).[/quote:1wf7gb2s]

The same with Hood and Jackson or Hood and Raji. The difference in the draft is how each team projects a player into their schemes. Based on what I've read and heard about Hood he easily could have been drafted where Jackson or Raji or Jerry was drafted, but the team has to determine who will most likely fit in their scheme best.

Drafting late isn't a bad thing; if your scouting department has done their job you will in all likelihood get better value than the teams that draft early.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1tjemejj]A little about measurables. A smaller prospect with shorter legs could give up some time in the 40. You need to look at his triangles times. The guy is as good as anyone in the draft in an area on the field. Steelers don't run pure bump & run in the nickel and dime. You put Burnett on the field in a zone and he will make big plays. That is how Townsend is making his living. You put Burnett on a goaline to goaline sprint with all WRs in this league he will loose some races. You put him in a 3-point 20 yard reaction drill he will beat alot of them. We will see "Eric Metcalf" skills from him in the return game. Metcalf would never beat you on the watch but he didn't need to. He would make you miss or make you "flat footed" and the tenth on the watch couldn't be made up before he gets to the goaline. Lewis will be the 3 down corner. Burnett should excel at PR and nickel & dime. I was concerned about CB depth before the signing of Ratliff and the draft. If the rooks live up to their potential it is a deep position. Townsend, Ratliff, & Burnett are very good CBs for this system in the nickel & dime. Taylor, Gay, & K Lewis look to be solid 3 down CBs. Let's hope it all works out.

Pappy

I don't see any significant difference between Heyward-Bey and Wallace as prospects (except for the fact that one was taken 7th overall and the other was taken in the 3rd round).[/quote:1tjemejj]
I agree. One just has more "advertising".

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-01-2009, 10:35 AM

From what I have heard, he seems like a more athletic version of Deshea. Hopefully he can develop the same kind of savvy, which could lead to a long and productive career.

Oviedo
05-01-2009, 10:41 AM

From what I have heard, he seems like a more athletic version of Deshea. Hopefully he can develop the same kind of savvy, which could lead to a long and productive career.

"Savvy" comes with time and experience. I'm sure he will be deemed a "bust" after the first exhibition game. Without a doubt by the experts after the second. :wink:

BDESteel
05-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Check this video I found on Mr. Burnette. Too bad he's so short, listed at 5'9" he could get eatin up by many of the NFL's big receivers. Although, I think he'd be used for returns more than anything.

http://www.strimoo.com/video/16216737/J ... ideos.html (http://www.strimoo.com/video/16216737/Joe-Burnett-Draft-MySpaceVideos.html)

Oviedo
05-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Check this video I found on Mr. Burnette. Too bad he's so short, listed at 5'9" he could get eatin up by many of the NFL's big receivers. Although, I think he'd be used for returns more than anything.

http://www.strimoo.com/video/16216737/J ... ideos.html (http://www.strimoo.com/video/16216737/Joe-Burnett-Draft-MySpaceVideos.html)

Pay attention to how quickly he breaks on the ball. He will be a very good 5th DB in passing situations.

BDESteel
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Pay attention to how quickly he breaks on the ball. He will be a very good 5th DB in passing situations.

He looks good for sure, especially for the cover II we seem to be headed towards is some copacity.

I just can never get out of my mind the year we played Atlanta and SD and how Crumpler and Gates were killin Deshea in the endzone. at 5'9, we could see similar results but, I do have big expectations from this kid.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2009, 01:48 PM

He looks good for sure, especially for the cover II we seem to be headed towards is some copacity.

I just can never get out of my mind the year we played Atlanta and SD and how Crumpler and Gates were killin Deshea in the endzone. at 5'9, we could see similar results but, I do have big expectations from this kid.

That's why we have a variety of different CB's now both big and small, from 6'2" down to 5'9".

24 Ike Taylor CB 28 6-2 195 7 Louisiana-Lafayette
20 Keenan Lewis CB 22 6-1 208 R Oregon State
31 Fernando Bryant CB 32 5-11 184 11 Alabama
22 William Gay CB 24 5-10 190 3 Louisville
26 Deshea Townsend CB 33 5-10 190 12 Alabama
30 Roy Lewis CB 23 5-10 190 1 Washington
40 Joe Burnett CB 5-9 192 R Central Florida
37 Anthony Madison CB 27 5-9 180 4 Alabama

Steelerphile
05-03-2009, 07:28 AM
It is always encouraging to me when a rookie comes across very well in the interview, and of the rookies that I have listened to, I like Hood, Burnett and Shipley's interviews the best.

Burnett seems to have a fine character, and possess a very nuanced understanding of playing his position. Seems almost like the coach on the field type. Short, but cat-like quick and somewhat strong. From class - Returning 101: "Just make the first guy miss". I was glad to hear him say that.

Being 5' 9", I think is an advantage as a punt returner. It gives you a slight maneuverability advantage. He seems to have very good awareness in pass defense and excellent reflexes to attack the ball when it is released. I absolutely see him on the final roster.