PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Holmes arraigned on marijuana charge

fordfixer
04-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Steelers’ Holmes arraigned on marijuana charge

By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer 34 minutes ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Agz0JSnLgXxltn0rLyyRsRlDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-holmes-marijuana&prov=ap&type=lgns)

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Pittsburgh Steelers receiver and Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes was arraigned Wednesday on a misdemeanor marijuana charge stemming from a traffic stop.

Holmes’ attorney, Robert DelGreco Jr., appeared at the brief hearing where charges were formally presented. Holmes did not appear, nor was he required to.

DelGreco said he planned to challenge the constitutionality of the stop, but did not elaborate.

“I will be filing a suppression motion. That will be a public record and we’ll go from there,” he said.

Pittsburgh police said they found three marijuana-filled cigars in Holmes’ car when he was pulled over Oct. 23. Holmes was stopped because his car was similar to one they were looking for in a drug sting.

Holmes was cooperative and alerted officers to the drugs, police said.

DelGreco has characterized the charge “as low as a grade a misdemeanor you can get.” The penalty is up to 30 days probation and a $500 fine, he said.

Coach Mike Tomlin deactivated Holmes for a game following the traffic stop. He was not arrested and received a court summons, which is common with misdemeanor charges in Pennsylvania.

Holmes said he “learned a lot” from missing a game following the traffic stop. Before the Super Bowl, Holmes told the media that he had dealt drugs for a year in his hometown of Belle Glade, Fla.

Holmes, a first-round draft pick out of Ohio State in 2006, has had two other run-ins with the law since the Steelers drafted him. In June 2006, he was charged with domestic violence in Columbus, Ohio. Those charges were dropped when the mother of one of his three children declined to help prosecute the case and prosecutors were assured that Holmes received anger management and domestic violence counseling through the NFL.

In May 2006, Holmes was arrested for disorderly conduct by police in Miami, who later dropped the charges.

No trial date has been set on the recent charge, but a pretrial conference was scheduled for May 22 in Allegheny County Court.

Djfan
04-29-2009, 05:57 PM
The funny thing is that this ad banner was at the bottom of the page when I opened it:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/hughpam/rehabad.jpg

SteelBucks
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Whew! For a second there I thought he was busted again.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So, I remember reading that the Supreme Court just this past week shut down the constitutionality of searching vehicles of people just because they happen to get tehmselves arrested in a vehicle.

I wonder why Holmes got arrested? Was he pulled over for something unrelated and then they searched his vehicle and found the hooch? If that's the case, maybe it will get thrown out of court.

Of course if he was seen rolling a stubbie by the traffic cop, all bets are off.

(I see you're gangsta - Well, I'm gangsta too!)

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2009, 06:53 PM
still can't believe he told them where to look.

that's just dumb.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So, I remember reading that the Supreme Court just this past week shut down the constitutionality of searching vehicles of people just because they happen to get tehmselves arrested in a vehicle.

I wonder why Holmes got arrested? Was he pulled over for something unrelated and then they searched his vehicle and found the hooch? If that's the case, maybe it will get thrown out of court.

Of course if he was seen rolling a stubbie by the traffic cop, all bets are off.

(I see you're gangsta - Well, I'm gangsta too!)

He got stopped simply because the vehicle he was driving matched the description of a vehicle the police were looking for in an entirely different drug investigation. That's it.

True Fan
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
the steelers are changing their ways

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 12:22 AM

How so? When this happened, the coach immediately suspended him for the game against the defending Super Bowl champion Giants, before he was found guilty of anything.

True Fan
04-30-2009, 12:59 AM

How so? When this happened, the coach immediately suspended him for the game against the defending Super Bowl champion Giants, before he was found guilty of anything.

i can understand other team's fans being disgusted with the 'holier than tho' attitude that most steeler 'fans' have regarding their players. the 'steeler type of player' characterization doesn't carry the same weight as it used to. we are now drafting players with drug/criminal pasts and overlook certain players wife/spouse beatings based on player productivity. these same 'fans' that make excuses for our players would be calling those same types typical bungles, rats or raiders.

AngryAsian
04-30-2009, 06:00 AM
[quote="True Fan":2f8meqeh]the steelers are changing their ways

i can understand other team's fans being disgusted with the 'holier than tho' attitude that most steeler 'fans' have regarding their players. the 'steeler type of player' characterization doesn't carry the same weight as it used to. we are now drafting players with drug/criminal pasts and overlook certain players wife/spouse beatings based on player productivity. these same 'fans' that make excuses for our players would be calling those same types typical bungles, rats or raiders.[/quote:2f8meqeh]

Brother, you really need to go out with your wife have a nice dinner, go to a movie, get some romance in, get some good sleep, wake up give your kids big hugs and the world won't seem so grim. Your posts appear to be more morose with each sentence. Cheer up my friend, we just won another Super Bowl.

frankthetank1
04-30-2009, 07:24 AM
[quote="True Fan":b2t2c6is]the steelers are changing their ways

i can understand other team's fans being disgusted with the 'holier than tho' attitude that most steeler 'fans' have regarding their players. the 'steeler type of player' characterization doesn't carry the same weight as it used to. we are now drafting players with drug/criminal pasts and overlook certain players wife/spouse beatings based on player productivity. these same 'fans' that make excuses for our players would be calling those same types typical bungles, rats or raiders.[/quote:b2t2c6is]

everyone screws up sometimes. its only human. they cut ced right away when he had his incident so they do take a stand. how many coaches would have suspended holmes at the time? please smoking a blunt is no big deal at all. its barely illegal hense the misdemenor charge. harrison's incident i cant justify but the guy is an amazing player. It was one incident. he is not a repeat offender. holmes harrison and ced were the only steelers that have gotten arrested in i dont know how long. thats not bad at all

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Whether you want to admit it or not most of the players in the NFL come from a background of lower social economic groups that are filled with many problems. Unfortunately that influeneces what many people see as right and wrong and it many times leads to trying to live in grey areas.

Marijuana is a problem in that we say it is illegal yet there has been a steady erosion of the severity of sentences associated with it. This sends mixed signals to everyone. Even members of this board defend the use of it.

None of this excuses Holmes one bit. It IS illegal, he was caught with it and Tomlin immediately punished him as he should have. Holmes was stupid. He is a professional athlete making millions of dollars and whether he likes it or not he should assume a high level of individual responsibility for his actions. He should recognize that is part of the equation of being a professional on team where other professionals rely on you.

He needs to accept whatever punishment he gets from the legal system and move on and commit himself to not making the same stupid decisions in the future.

feltdizz
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
[quote="True Fan":2gnyqhta]the steelers are changing their ways

i can understand other team's fans being disgusted with the 'holier than tho' attitude that most steeler 'fans' have regarding their players. the 'steeler type of player' characterization doesn't carry the same weight as it used to. we are now drafting players with drug/criminal pasts and overlook certain players wife/spouse beatings based on player productivity. these same 'fans' that make excuses for our players would be calling those same types typical bungles, rats or raiders.[/quote:2gnyqhta]

I agree 100% with the last sentence.

However, I disagree with everything else you wrote.

Jooser
05-01-2009, 06:40 AM
I've forgiven Holmes over the incident and forgotten about it. I'm not one to judge him anyways, I got a DUI last year and it too was a stupid mistake. I'm not perfect, I've not been arrested for anything else, I just made a stupid (and costly) mistake. Holmes took his punishment from the team like a man and now he'll answer in court and this whole thing will be over with. Next........