PDA

View Full Version : the whole Foote ordeal

steeler_george
04-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I was just thinking about the whole Foote ordeal, other players, and the cap situation.

1) Although he wants to be released, is the Front Office willing to grant him his release?

2) Who freakin leaked out the word of it to the press, now his trade value is ZERO!

3) I wonder what the Front Office was expecting in return for him, or if he was part of any failed trade package.

4) Was he the only player's name whispered in trades.....(Parker, Casey, Miller)?

Slapstick
04-29-2009, 11:27 AM
I don't know how badly it hurts the chance to trade him...

Chicago gave up the farm once Denver announced that they would trade Jay Cutler...

All you need is some kind of competition from another team...

If there is no team willing to offer anything for him, THAT is way more harmful to any possibility of a trade...

stlrz d
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Foote and his agent revealed the info to the press.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
My guess would be his own agent is the source of the leak. If indeed the Steelers did plan to cut him. Could be his agent created a false leak just to create a bunch of commotion in hopes the Steelers, in an attempt to squash the distraction, would cut him so he could join the Lions rather than keep him to be a backup. It isn't like it is unheard of for the Steelers to pay backups good money. I think Hoke makes decent money and Starks was going to make huge money as a backup if Marvel had stayed healthy.

stlrz d
04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't think it was a "leak". From what I have read, a statement was made publicly by Foote and his agent.

That's not a leak.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Ha-Ha-Ha.....Looks like we are on the same page Stlrz d! :Cheers

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Not sure that this hurts his trade value.

Lets say you're the Cheifs, or the Packers (or some team hoping to move to the 3-4). You hear that a solid 3-4 MLB is going to be cut if he can't be traded. A team like Denver might also want a guy on it's defence that can tackle.

First you might think, "Wow, that's pretty good. We can pick him up off waivers for nothing."

But then you read on where is says that there may be mutual interest with the Lions. Problem is, the Lions are first on the waiver list. Then you think, "If we want him, we'll have to pay for him. What's the cost going to be?"

Foote's a solid defender against the run, he's a good locker room guy, he's been in a great system so might bring some insight, he's got 2 rings as a starter for the best D in the world. It'd be nice if we could pick something up for him (maybe a 4th or 5th next year).

aggiebones
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
The fact that he is trying to 'force' our hand, he can F himself. That stuff doesn't fly. Trade him or make him play STs til he gets his head on straight.
He is acting like we've been holding him back all these years even before we got Timmons. What a joke. He's gotten alot from the Steelers organization to play this BS.
Holding him back, what a joke. Maybe he was holding us back.

SteelBucks
04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Not sure that this hurts his trade value.

Lets say you're the Cheifs, or the Packers (or some team hoping to move to the 3-4). You hear that a solid 3-4 MLB is going to be cut if he can't be traded. A team like Denver might also want a guy on it's defence that can tackle.

First you might think, "Wow, that's pretty good. We can pick him up off waivers for nothing."

But then you read on where is says that there may be mutual interest with the Lions. Problem is, the Lions are first on the waiver list. Then you think, "If we want him, we'll have to pay for him. What's the cost going to be?"

:Agree

If Foote hits the waiver wire he, reportedly, won't get past the Lions. If another team wants him, they'll have to trade for him to bypass the waiver process. The way I see it, he still has trade value.

Oviedo
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
He got his two rings. He is now just worried about himself and what he wants to do. If he wants to leave then cut him loose. Who cares. It isn't like he is a Pro Bowl player or ever will be.

He is an average to good LB who has probably been made to appear better than he really is by the system he plays in and who is around him. How many opposing OCs do you really think take Larry Foote into consideration during their game planning?

Get rid of him and clear the cap space. Better yet trade him to the worst place in the NFL for "future considerations" and let him know what suck is really like. If we get basically nothing for him then I am OK with that.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
If you played "Who do the current Steeler LB's remind you of from Cowher's teams in the 90's" game...

James Harrison is similar to Greg Lloyd
LaMarr Woodley is similar to Kevin Greene
James Farrior is similar to Levon Kirkland
Lawrence Timmons is similar to Chad Brown
Larry Foote is similar to Earl Holmes

Earl Holmes was solid when he was here but unspectacular. He also left to go to Detroit, and we did not miss a beat when he was gone.

By the way, I am hoping that Patrick Bailey morphs into a Jerry Olsavsky type. He did have a big hit on kick coverage after Santonio's TD catch in the Super Bowl that prevented the Cards from having better field position on their attempt at a final drive.

feltdizz
04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I can't blame him for trying to save face.

True Fan
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
i'm getting tired of not getting anything in return for these players. we let porter go for nothing and now it looks like we'll do the same for foote. enough of this 'we'll cut him loose early so he can land with another team and make some cash' BS. if foote and/or his agent started this crap, the steelers should send a message to the other players that you cant hold the organization hostage. trade him, keep him or release him at the last possible moment so he cant make any money or have an immediate impact with his new team.

feltdizz
04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
i'm getting tired of not getting anything in return for these players. we let porter go for nothing and now it looks like we'll do the same for foote. enough of this 'we'll cut him loose early so he can land with another team and make some cash' BS. if foote and/or his agent started this crap, the steelers should send a message to the other players that you cant hold the organization hostage. trade him, keep him or release him at the last possible moment so he cant make any money or have an immediate impact with his new team.

I would feel that way if we weren't winning but it seems like the football karma is always in our favor. We operate above the bull##### and have 2 SB's in 4 years.

Oviedo
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
If you played "Who do the current Steeler LB's remind you of from Cowher's teams in the 90's" game...

James Harrison is similar to Greg Lloyd
LaMarr Woodley is similar to Kevin Greene
James Farrior is similar to Levon Kirkland
Lawrence Timmons is similar to Chad Brown
Larry Foote is similar to Earl Holmes

Earl Holmes was solid when he was here but unspectacular. He also left to go to Detroit, and we did not miss a beat when he was gone.

By the way, I am hoping that Patrick Bailey morphs into a Jerry Olsavsky type. He did have a big hit on kick coverage after Santonio's TD catch in the Super Bowl that prevented the Cards from having better field position on their attempt at a final drive.

With some experience I think Bailey will be just as good as Foote. Foote will not be missed except by those who want to hold onto every last vestige of the Cowher era-- literally and figuratively.

There is a new sheriff in town and larry Foote won't be in that posse anymore.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-29-2009, 04:56 PM

What do you expect the trade market for Larry Foote to bear?

phillyesq
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
[quote="True Fan":2z0e8fj9]i'm getting tired of not getting anything in return for these players. we let porter go for nothing and now it looks like we'll do the same for foote. enough of this 'we'll cut him loose early so he can land with another team and make some cash' BS. if foote and/or his agent started this crap, the steelers should send a message to the other players that you cant hold the organization hostage. trade him, keep him or release him at the last possible moment so he cant make any money or have an immediate impact with his new team.

What do you expect the trade market for Larry Foote to bear?[/quote:2z0e8fj9]

I really don't think that Foote has much value. According to a link I found through PFT, the Lions offered a 7th for Foote, and were turned down:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/steelers_say_larry_foote_has_n.html

I have no idea whether that link is credible, but it suggests that the Colts are also interested in Foote. There is also the possibility that Whiz would be interested.

Perhaps with a bidding war Foote's value could bump up to a conditional 6th round pick. He is in the last year of his deal, and he isn't a special player at all at a non-premium position. IMO, he is more valuable to the Steelers than whatever he would bring in a trade. This year, he can serve as a backup, and if he rotates in on running downs, Timmons will be more fresh and explosive on passing downs.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Rather than getting a 6th or 7th straight up for Foote, I would rather give up Foote and one of our picks for a better pick. For example, Foote and a 5th rounder for a 4th rounder. Something like that.

It doesn't sound like much of a difference, but you could be gaining as much as 67 spots in the middle portion of the draft when you are a championship team that is trading with a league-worst team like the Lions. The last (non-comp) pick in the 5th is as low as 168, while the first pick in the 4th is as high as 101.

If he does get traded for a future pick, I sure hope it is to a bad team that we expect to be selecting early in each round again (like the Lions or Chiefs, as opposed to the Colts).

AkronSteel
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
He got his two rings. He is now just worried about himself and what he wants to do. If he wants to leave then cut him loose. Who cares. It isn't like he is a Pro Bowl player or ever will be.

He is an average to good LB who has probably been made to appear better than he really is by the system he plays in and who is around him. How many opposing OCs do you really think take Larry Foote into consideration during their game planning?

Get rid of him and clear the cap space. Better yet trade him to the worst place in the NFL for "future considerations" and let him know what suck is really like. If we get basically nothing for him then I am OK with that.

I agree with everything you said brother. This team is built on with a team first mentality and if this guy is so hell bent on getting out of here then let him. We don't need another Alan Faneca situation becoming a distraction. If they can't trade him by the middle of next week just let him go!!! This team will be fine without Larry Foote, I'm really not that worried about it.