PDA

View Full Version : What I would love to see from AQ Shipley

steelerkeylargo
04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
here is hoping that Tomlin and Arians use him in some unbalanced line sets as a 3rd TE. I really think he could do some damage pulling out and getting in front of FWP!!! :Beer

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, but without the rock to lean on his arm won't be able to reach the ground for the 3-point stance.

Seriously though, wouldn't that formation pretty much have to guarantee a run play or do you envision the possibility of a pass play w/ SAAQ hangin out there?

steelerkeylargo
04-28-2009, 10:35 PM
You could pass on it but I would have no problem tipping a run out of this set. The Ravens ran this set against us last year to very good effect at times.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Teams often use a backup tackle in this capacity (Starks was a de facto blocking TE for a while back when Marvel and Colon were starting over him), but I have never seen a back-up center used in that capacity, especially one that is only 6'1".

Oviedo
04-29-2009, 08:07 AM
I'd like to see Shipley prove he can take over the long snapping responsibilities so we don't waste a roster spot.

Uncle Rico
04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Teams often use a backup tackle in this capacity (Starks was a de facto blocking TE for a while back when Marvel and Colon were starting over him), but I have never seen a back-up center used in that capacity, especially one that is only 6'1".
You don't even see too many 6'1 tight ends on the high school level let alone in the NFL.

steelerkeylargo
04-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Height has nothing to do with it.....he would be like a pulling guard only he is already out in front of the play. Extremely effective on off tackle runs....FWP's specialty!

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
You don't even see too many 6'1 tight ends on the high school level let alone in the NFL.

Hey, I was a 6'1" tight end in high school! :evil:

But I don't have T-Rex arms or look like Sloth from the Goonies. :D

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200903/shipley1_160.jpg

pittpete
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Shipley,The Tank & Mendy in the triple I...
Stop that Ray. :ratsuck

steelers43
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
here is hoping that Tomlin and Arians use him in some unbalanced line sets as a 3rd TE. I really think he could do some damage pulling out and getting in front of FWP!!! :Beer

I certainly hope our coaching staff isn't stupid enough to try Shipley at TE or outside. That would be 100% retarded.

At center, his arms aren't a big deal but at guard, tackle or wider, it's a huge deal and would be completely stupid.

Mick'sTeam
04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
I'd like to see Shipley prove he can take over the long snapping responsibilities so we don't waste a roster spot.

AMEN to that Oviedo!!!

Uncle Rico
04-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Hey, I was a 6'1" tight end in high school! :evil:

But I don't have T-Rex arms or look like Sloth from the Goonies. :D

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200903/shipley1_160.jpg
LMFAO!

100$handshake
04-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Prediction: Shipley gone in second round of Training camp cuts.

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM

No way.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 09:57 AM

No way.

Okay...First Round of Cuts, then? :stirpot :wink:

steelblood
04-30-2009, 10:39 AM
While I think a third TE is not a great spot for a short guy with short arms (as they have to lock out with long armed DE's and OLBs), I am intrigued by the suggestion of putting him in the backfield.

Check this out,

If he can win the long snapper's job, we could also use him as a fullback in short yardage situations in front of Summers. He is smart enough to learn several positions. He'd be a decent shortyardage fullback, I believe.

steelers43
04-30-2009, 11:48 AM

No way.

Must be a SCHitt or Notre Dame fan.

steelers43
04-30-2009, 11:48 AM
While I think a third TE is not a great spot for a short guy with short arms (as they have to lock out with long armed DE's and OLBs), I am intrigued by the suggestion of putting him in the backfield.

Check this out,

If he can win the long snapper's job, we could also use him as a fullback in short yardage situations in front of Summers. He is smart enough to learn several positions. He'd be a decent shortyardage fullback, I believe.

That's an idea that at least makes a bit of sense although I'd prefer they just let him focus on kicking Hartwig's ass to the curb.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM

I certainly hope our coaching staff isn't stupid enough to try Shipley at TE or outside. That would be 100% retarded.

At center, his arms aren't a big deal but at guard, tackle or wider, it's a huge deal and would be completely stupid.

You have obviously never played football. I am starting to wonder if you have ever watched Mike Webster and his short arms pull out and light up a LB!!

steelers43
04-30-2009, 12:15 PM

You have obviously never played football. I am starting to wonder if you have ever watched Mike Webster and his short arms pull out and light up a LB!!

Pulling is not the same as lining up at TE.

If you took the time to read and understand(clearly you didn't and don't) what I was saying, it is that short arms for a center is no big deal. How many 6'1'' TE's do you see?

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM

No way.

No...did you happen to notice the little smiling guy stirring the pot and the other one winking? That's a pretty clear indication that I am just playing around.

The Trojans and the Irish both suck, but the way. :P

steelers43
04-30-2009, 12:34 PM

No way.

No...did you happen to notice the little smiling guy stirring the pot and the other one winking? That's a pretty clear indication that I am just playing around.

The Trojans? When did Schitt change their mascot?

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM

The Trojans? When did Schitt change their mascot?

Oh, that was supposed to be Pitt? I saw that you capitalized the "SC" and thought that is who you are talking about. You whippersnappers and your crazy names...

flippy
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
i'd like to see him outplay mike webster

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 02:13 PM
i'd like to see him outplay mike webster

I'd like to see Keenan Lewis outplay Mel Blount.

I'd like to see Mike Wallace outplay John Stallworth.

I'd like to see Frank Summers outplay Franco Harris.

I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen, though.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM

If you took the time to read and understand(clearly you didn't and don't) what I was saying, it is that short arms for a center is no big deal. How many 6'1'' TE's do you see?

He is there to block not catch passes!!!! :HeadBanger

steelers43
04-30-2009, 04:00 PM

He is there to block not catch passes!!!! :HeadBanger

A few posts ago you questioned me and that if I understood the game, now you claim lining him up at TE, his arm length won't be a huge deal because he's only blocking?

Really?

Really?

You clearly have no idea about football if you believe lining him up at TE or guard for that matter is a good idea. It's moronic and you have just proven your stupidity.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I would absolutely love to hear why you think it would matter!!!! If you think a TE or Fb could chip or pull out better on a LB than AQ I would love to hear why???? :wft

steelers43
04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I would absolutely love to hear why you think it would matter!!!! If you think a TE or Fb could chip or pull out better on a LB than AQ I would love to hear why???? :wft

Quite simple actually. If you knew anything about the game, you wouldn't need to ask.

FB blocking and TE blocking is completely different mechanics. FB is coming at the defender running and targets him and how he will block him changes on the fly. Are you going to cut him, engage him, shield him, etc.

TE lines up on the line, mostly on the right side of the line, head up on a defender, often times a very quick fast defender. In this case, I'm sure you can see why short arms and short in general would hamper him. Well, maybe you can't but most can.

Sorry for sounding like a grade school teacher but a few posts ago you claimed to be superior and questioned if I ever played the game. I'd ask the same of you but the answer is already perfectly clear.

I'd be all for using him in a FB short yardage situation. I'd be completely against him lining up wide at TE. It's a moronic idea.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
You actually show how little you know and reafirm my assumption that you are a geek who never played the game. If Shipley lines up in a 3 TE set he will be lined up on the left, not the right, ideally covered up by the # 2 TE (Spaeth), Shipley would pull around Spaeth and get out in front on the sweep or Off tackle play where he could level a LB. So in this case shut it and sit 43. Back to the AV squad for u dork!!!! :P

steelers43
04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
You actually show how little you know and reafirm my assumption that you are a geek who never played the game. If Shipley lines up in a 3 TE set he will be lined up on the left, not the right, ideally covered up by the # 2 TE (Spaeth), Shipley would pull around Spaeth and get out in front on the sweep or Off tackle play where he could level a LB. So in this case shut it and sit 43. Back to the AV squad for u dork!!!! :P

I said the TE lines up on the right most of the time. I did not specify the 3rd TE. Using him as the 3rd TE is a completely dumb idea. Having him pull from the outside and come inside is yet another dumb idea.

Think what you want. Putting Shipley at TE is such a dumb idea I laugh hysterically everytime you defend it. Do you even know who the last lineman we used in 3 TE sets was? At least the last time it was successful? It was Max Starks, a 6'8" player with long arms, not a 6'1'' player with stubs.

Keep the comics coming. It is funny!

PS moron, you asked what the difference was between FB and TE blocking. I explained it to you. You didn't mention 3rd TE only but nice try.

steelers43
04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Key Largo acting like some tough guy is hilarious also. Message board bully! :Beer

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Go back and read the original post 3TE....unbalanced line......he would be pulling inside out not the other way.......Starks was a goal line only guy....I say we use shiple from the 10 to the 10. You probably would have laughed at the suggestion of the wildcat offense as well....try to think outside the box a little dummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Binky :moon

steelers43
04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Go back and read the original post 3TE....unbalanced line......he would be pulling inside out not the other way.......Starks was a goal line only guy....I say we use shiple from the 10 to the 10. You probably would have laughed at the suggestion of the wildcat offense as well....try to think outside the box a little dummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Binky :moon

You want to use Shipley as a between the 10's and go 3 TE?

Or inside the 10? I would think this is what you mean but I can't be sure given your posts.

And you want to pull him from the 3TE position, right or left from inside to outside? Inside of what? He'd be on the end of the line or one man in at best.

There's another brilliant idea. Let's load up run blockers in the wrong positions, then take time pulling them so the defenders have more time to react. Wonderful, another slow developing play. We all know LB's and defenders aren't fast to react. :HeadBanger

As for the wildcat, if you think I believe or thought it would have been a bad idea, you are even more clueless than I though.

Again, using Shipley at TE, any TE position is STUPID!

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
You are an idiot.......I cant believe we agreed on LenDale White!

steelers43
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
You are an idiot.......I cant believe we agreed on LenDale White!

I'm an idiot because I think it is retarded to line up a 6'1'' TE with short arms out wide?

In that case, I am glad you think that.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Tell me where you find me say out wide.....ANYWHERE!

steelers43
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Tell me where you find me say out wide.....ANYWHERE!

Oh, you want to line the 3rd TE up at center? Okay, then I agree. Nice idea. :Boobs