PDA

View Full Version : John Runyan anyone???

ANPSTEEL
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
I just saw this on another board, and wanted to throw it out here-

anyone have any info on this?

http://www.sportsrumormill.com/srmdev/v ... 44de008e16 (http://www.sportsrumormill.com/srmdev/viewtopic.php?t=57904&sid=b0148368f9ad0b12a3c80544de008e16)

I'd be ecstatic if the steelers could make this happen.

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Intriguing. I'd definitely be interested if he we're to come in for the league minimum

Snatch98
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Sign me up! especially if it's at vet minimum.

steelers43
04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
He's better at RT than Colon but he's not better than Starks at LT.

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Agreed. We're surely talking about Runyan at RT. Though were talking about the semi-motivated Starks who plays like he actually cares somewhat and not the Bizarro-Starks when we say he's "better" than Runyan at LT

ANPSTEEL
04-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Agreed. We're surely talking about Runyan at RT. Though were talking about the semi-motivated Starks who plays like he actually cares somewhat and not the Bizarro-Starks when we say he's "better" than Runyan at LT

difficult to say who he is better than, at this point- because he is coming off the injury-

but assuming he does- i've got to believe he is better than colon- and possibly Starks-
regardless, he would be a better back up option than anyone else on the roster- ie Essex or Hills

Discipline of Steel
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
How old is he...35? Im not sure he could take a starting position, they dropped him for some reason. He would likely beat out Hills but Hills is moving up and Runyan, although excellant in his prime, is on his way down. I sense we are knee jerking to name recognition more than current abilities.

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 10:50 PM
How old is he...35? Im not sure he could take a starting position, they dropped him for some reason. He would likely beat out Hills but Hills is moving up and Runyan, although excellant in his prime, is on his way down. I sense we are knee jerking to name recognition more than current abilities.
I don't think anyone really thinks he'd automatically grab a starting role and answer our oline problems. I think DoS, that we might feel that just adding the depth, having an experienced veteran who might get by on less ability because of his wealth of veteran tricks and experience he's aquired, would be a nice luxury, especially if it could be had for minimal cost. And damned if Runyan hasn't always, and I mean always, played 'till the whistle blew (and then some...). Maybe some of that meanness could rub off on some of these other guys..

ANPSTEEL
04-28-2009, 11:02 PM

not saying i disagree with your point-

but cant you let me have a little sunshine here bro??

:Hater

:tt1

:lol:

Wolfhound45
04-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Bring him in for a look. Won't cost us anything but time.

Flasteel
04-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Well if this dude on his couch has got it right, Runyan seems to indicate that there is a mutual interest. I completely agree that his recovery from injury would be the determining factor on whether he could compete for a starting job or not. Again, according to Joe couch potato, it seems like he wouldn't be ready to come in until camp...that seems a little sketchy to me. Injury-free, he is no doubt a better RT than Colon - even at 35. He is not injury-free however. For us to bring in such a short term answer at RT, it would probably indicate that our coaching staff has little faith in Colon to develop. From everything I hear, they don't seem ready to concede that...yet.

Discipline of Steel
04-29-2009, 12:30 AM

not saying i disagree with your point-

but cant you let me have a little sunshine here bro??

:Hater

:tt1

:lol:

Bath in the sunshine of a Super Bowl victory! If the Steelers sign him, Im a John Runyan fan. Have faith and ye shall be rewarded.

Oviedo
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Bringing in a guy like Runyan would be a typical good Steelers move. At worst he comes in for a vet minimum and he doesn't make it. At best he comes in and shows he can still play and either displaces Colon at RT or provides a back up at RT and LT.

If he could win the RT job, Colon could move inside for a year to RG and Urbik gets a year to develop.

Could be a win-win. Runyan rpobably sees that the Steelers are lining up for another run at the Super Bowl which would likely be his last chance to get a ring.

pfelix73
04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
As posted many times in the past, the Steelers only see Colon as a Tackle. There would have to be a big philosophical change with the coaching staff in order for Colon to move to G.

They can bring him in for camp and see what he can do, but I don't know which roster spot he'd take. That would mean cutting a younger lineman to make room for him.

ANPSTEEL
04-29-2009, 10:04 AM
As posted many times in the past, the Steelers only see Colon as a Tackle. There would have to be a big philosophical change with the coaching staff in order for Colon to move to G.

They can bring him in for camp and see what he can do, but I don't know which roster spot he'd take. That would mean cutting a younger lineman to make room for him.

wooooaaaa- Jason Cappizzi, not on the roster!?! Doomed-

come on- seriously, if Runyan can physically play, you're telling me you wouldn't sign him at the expense of Capizzi???

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM

wooooaaaa- Jason Cappizzi, not on the roster!?! Doomed-

come on- seriously, if Runyan can physically play, you're telling me you wouldn't sign him at the expense of Capizzi???

Exactly, the only young OT among the backups on our roster that is worth holding onto is Hills, because he could amount to something (very promising before his injury that pushed him back to round 4). Right now, Trai Essex is our top backup at both guard and tackle. We can certainly use more experienced depth than that. Capizzi and Parquet should be nothing more than camp fodder.

If you don't sign Runyan, then Colon is your starter at RT and Essex is the primary backup. If you do sign Runyan, he could potentially be your starting RT if healthy (and an improvement over Colon in '09 as we strive to repeat as champions), while Colon would then be an experienced backup (I won't even bother mentioning any guard possibilities for him because I don't want to be subjected to endless "But the coaches view him only as a tackle" replies).

People may be worried about relying on a 35 year old guy as a starter. Well, guess what...if his body gives out on him halfway through the season, you are back to Colon as the starter at RT and Essex as the primary backup, which is exactly the same place where you would be if you had never signed Runyan at all. If he is willing to sign an incentive-laden vet minimum contract, what is the risk? As long as he passes a physical, addng a nasty vet could be an option, especially since he expressed the desire to be here.