PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release LB Larry Foote...

mshifko
04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
per ESPN 1460 radio here in columbus, ohio...

no link provided yet, but kind of a surprising move...timmons is ready to start at ILB though, but thought we still could have used the competition...rumors were that this move frees up about 2.8+ million in cap space

thoughts?

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow...surprising. I wonder if they tried to trade him during the draft and found no takers.

mshifko
04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow...surprising. I wonder if they tried to trade him during the draft and found no takers.
that would be my guess...they held onto him as trade bait that's why he wasn't released earlier IMO...no takers

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
If true they may be positioning themseleves for another move. I don't think they would have had to do this just to sign their rookies but you never know with the cap.

Timmons is clearly ready to go and he was last year. Time for him to step it up now.

TD386Steel
04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/ ... cap-space/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/footes-departure-clears-2885-million-in-cap-space/)

They must have tried to trade him before and during the draft but found no takers.

Sugar
04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow, I knew that this was coming, but I thought it would be next year! :shock:

SteelHead
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Larry was a solid player for us for years now. He will be missed. Frankly I felt much more comfortable about our MLB position with him in the mix. Even if Timmons was ready to unseat him as the full time starter it was nice to have Larry and his experience present if needed. I take it Fox now becomes our primary back up at the position. We'll see what this move means as far as more FA signings because I agree that it is unlikely this was just a move to get some room to sign the rooks.

More than his talent his camaraderie amongst the defense will be missed , he was close friends with many like Potsie and Big Snack. Solid Steeler and family man , good luck to ya Larry.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02aYaKQ9UraPa/520x.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Larry was a solid player for us for years now. He will be missed. Frankly I felt much more comfortable about our MLB position with him in the mix. Even if Timmons was ready to unseat him as the full time starter it was nice to have Larry and his experience present if needed. I take it Fox now becomes our primary back up at the position. We'll see what this move means as far as more FA signings because I agree that it is unlikely this was just a move to get some room to sign the rooks.

More than his talent his camaraderie amongst the defense will be missed , he was close friends with many like Potsie and Big Snack. Solid Steeler and family man , good luck to ya Larry.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02aYaKQ9UraPa/520x.jpg

They almost must think that Bruce Davis is progressing, because the plan if Harrison or Woodley was hurt would be to move Timmons to OLB, with Foote and Farrior inside. With Foote out of the picture, now that Timmons is being counted on to be the full-time ILB, if Harrison or Woodley goes down, Davis would have to be ready to step in.

(We also have Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier at OLB, but I think the team might instead prefer to keep guys like Patrick Bailey and Donovan Woods, who would team up with ILB Key Fox to lead the special teams)

calmkiller
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Larry was always a Steeler guy. Wish him well in the future!

drprwnap
04-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Nothing on Post Gazett.com, KDKA.com or Trib's website about the release of Foote. Let's hope it's a nasty rumor. I would like to see him back! :tt2

WoodleyofTroy
04-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Just made the Arizona Cardinals day.

Iron Shiek
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Mad props to Larry for his years of service. He will be missed.

I'm sure Whiz already had the contract drafted up...should be a card by tonight...lol.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I seriously find it hard to believe not one team either new to the 3-4 or converting would covet him to the point of giving up a mid round pick for him....say a 4th or 5th rounder. That seems ridiculous. Dude hasn't missed a game to injury for as long as I can remember in one of the most physical divisions in football.

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Just made the Arizona Cardinals day.

I know that would be the assumption but IIRC Foote openly stated that he wanted to play for his hometown Lions at some point. Not sure he fits their plans but maybe that is an option.

I could also see teams trying to develop the 3-4 like KC, Green bay and Denver giving him a serious look. He could actually benefit from this. Hopefuly he doesn't go to the Browns. He is better than that.

costanza2k1
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I never get bummed when a player is let go, but this one hurts...sucks.

WoodleyofTroy
04-28-2009, 12:57 PM

I get bummed when we get nothing in return. Which is everyday.

costanza2k1
04-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Playerwise probably true but we got 2 SBs in 4 years...that's a lot in return.

:wink:

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Lions fans are crapping themselves over this....and this article basically says the Lions knew he would be released since they passed on Rey Maualuga in the second round.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ons_p.html (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/was_larry_foote_in_the_lions_p.html)

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
If this is true, (Foote's release)....then i wish him the best of luck. Larry though not the most talented player was an absolute Coach Cowher type of Steeler and "left it all on the field" with regularity. He wasn't flashy,....but he played the run well, and performed his duties with considerable confidence and passion.

Now we get to bear witness to the star of Tomlin's "Grits Click" era players now on the roster,... Lawrence Timmons,..... consistently "get washed" and or run over for at least the next two seasons on the inside. :tt1 :tt1

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
If this is true, (Foote's release)....then i wish him the best of luck. Larry though not the most talented player was an absolute Coach Cowher type of Steeler and "left it all on the field" with regularity. He wasn't flashy,....but he played the run well, and performed his duties with considerable confidence and passion.

Now we get to bear witness to the star of Tomlin's "Grits Click" era players now on the roster,... Lawrence Timmons,..... consistently "get washed" and or run over for at least the next two seasons on the inside. :tt1 :tt1

Or kick ass and make a lot of huge plays like he did last season.....or did you miss those plays and just focus on him 'getting washed'......

motter1975
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
I just heard this on the 2 minute drill on Sirius...

I'm kinda bummed, too...I liked Foote.

Good luck to him, and hope he finds a new football home in the NFC.

LouSteel
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM

I think the way we've handled Foote indicates this organization is changing its ways a bit.

This franchise's MO is to let players play out their contract and leave, or to release them early enough to test the FA waters (Simmons, for example).

In this case, we let Foote go long after the FA spending spree was concluded. To me, this indicates that the Steelers were trying to use him to swing a trade in the draft -- remember the talk about moving up in the 2nd? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Larry was included in those trade talks.

That would be a big departure from the normal. Frankly though, I like it -- I believe in this case, we actually tried to find some return in a player departure.

Of course, I've yet to see any corroboration, so maybe Larry is still with us :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 01:25 PM

By no means to I want to minimize the accomplishments of Larry Foote, because he did help us win 2 Super Bowls, but if any of our linebackers could be called "Ordinary As A Bowl Of Grits" it was Foote. Two Down Thumpers like him can be found in the middle rounds of the draft (which is where we got Foote). But Quick-Twitch Athletes like Timmons are at a premium. There is nothing ordinary about Timmons whatsoever.

AngryAsian
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
This news is sad but a necessity. A lot of posters have remarked that this team is showing its age. We are slowly evolving this team to a much younger and athletic one while we keep our "key" players. I liked Larry, but the heart and soul of that inside is Farrior. He's the cog and we managed to keep him in the fold. The Timmons move was only a matter of time. You can't keep that talent in a sub role. A good move and hopefully we see more of KeyFox in there. I think he's been beastly on ST and would like to see what he can do with more opportunities on D.

Zigs
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Foote gets the Boot! :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Might be to make room for Lelie. I will miss him. Probably the best to do and let him get a big deal elsewhere. A Steelers move.

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Or kick bad word and make a lot of huge plays like he did last season.....or did you miss those plays and just focus on him 'getting washed'......

I'm not impressed with dropping the undersized 4-3 weakside linebacker into coverage. Or sending him on a few blitzes here and there.

A full season of this however does peak my interest,.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahWEIYl4i_U

SteelBucks
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
per ESPN 1460 radio here in columbus, ohio...

no link provided yet, but kind of a surprising move...timmons is ready to start at ILB though, but thought we still could have used the competition...rumors were that this move frees up about 2.8+ million in cap space

thoughts?

After the draft, there were rumors that the Steelers were considering taking James Laurinaitis in the first round. At the time, it didn't make any sense......but now it does with the release of Foote. Timmons now steps in at ILB and Laurinaitis would have been groomed to replace Farrior in a couple of years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still thrilled we got Ziggy!

WoodleyofTroy
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Or kick bad word and make a lot of huge plays like he did last season.....or did you miss those plays and just focus on him 'getting washed'......

I'm not impressed with dropping the undersized 4-3 weakside linebacker into coverage. Or sending him on a few blitzes here and there.

A full season of this however does peak my interest,.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahWEIYl4i_U

So Urlacher is a bust because Bettis ran over him?

Something tells me you have the video in your favorites.

costanza2k1
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4107676

Steelers release Foote
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive

Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, a seven-year veteran.

It had been rumored for much of the offseason that Foote, made extraneous by the emergence of two-year veteran and former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, would be either traded or released. It is believed the Steelers attempted to trade Foote during the NFL draft last weekend.

A seven-year veteran, Foote is still a productive defender at only 28 years old. But a combination of economics and the urgency to move Timmons into the starting lineup led to his release.

His resume includes 110 games, and 83 starts, including two Super Bowl victories. Foote has played in all 16 games for six straight seasons and started all 16 contests each of the past five years. The former University of Michigan standout is considered a strong player against the run but usually left the field in nickel situations.

The fact that Foote was scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.885 million in 2009, a steep price to pay for a player projected as a reserve, was certainly a factor in the decision to release him. Foote had a salary cap figure of $3.5 million for 2009. The Steelers will have his base salary of $2.885 million refunded into their '09 cap.

Pittsburgh is typically tight against the spending limit and can sorely use the funds provided by Foote's release. Last week the Steelers had to release tailback Gary Russell in order to have enough cap room to sign backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Timmons was the team's first-round draft choice in 2007. He spent much of 2008 as the nickel linebacker and an occasional blitzer, two roles in which he excelled. It was generally considered that Timmons, who had 65 tackles and five sacks last season, was ready to break into the starting lineup.

In six seasons, Foote posted 431 tackles, 14½ sacks, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and four recoveries.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

SteelBucks
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I wonder if the Steelers are trying to free up additional space for Heath Miller.

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM

I guess you were out going to the bathroom for Timmons' 56 tackles( only 7 less than Foote), 5 sacks (versus Foote's 1.5) and 1 INT ( to Foote's zero).

I recall Foote getting "washed" quite a bit himself but it may not have been as much as Timmons because he couldn't have gotten to some of the plays that Timmons did.

I am forever amazed how a prejudged unsupported notion against a player lingers regardless of facts.

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I recall Foote getting "washed" quite a bit himself but it may not have been as much as Timmons because he couldn't have gotten to some of the plays that Timmons did.

I am forever amazed how a prejudged unsupported notion against a player lingers regardless of facts.

Lamarr Woodley: Starter by second season

Shawn Merriman: First year starter

Joey Porter: Starter by second season

Demarcus Ware: Starter by second season

Patrick Willis: First year Starter

James Farrior: Starter by second season

John Beason: First year starter

Jerod Mayo: First year starter

Lawrence Timmons: going into third season unable to win out a starting spot over any backer on the team including the not exceptionally talented career overacheiving 4th round selection Larry Foote. Whom the team had to release so as to "create" (give) a spot for him in hopes that he can somehow justify them (and more importantly Tomlin) selecting him within the top 20 prospects of his Draft class.

Bottom line,... this dude is not and will never be an elite player.(especially not in a 3-4 scheme)

And no, i,.. unlike some,.. do not believe that Timmons is the second coming of Greg Lloyd. He's not that much better a player than Foote, and most certainly not even as strong. Which will spell disaster for us inside with him playing the position.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I look forward to Timmons proving you wrong...

SteelBucks
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Here's the local PR. Odd he won't be released until after the manditory minicamp.......

Steelers to release linebacker Larry Foote
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers plan to release starting linebacker Larry Foote, the Post-Gazette confirmed today.

ProFootballtalk.com, citing a league source, broke the story late this morning and sources confirmed it for the Post-Gazette.

In a mysterious twist, however, the release is not planned over the next several days and Foote will be kept on the roster for this weekend's required minicamp, sources said.

Foote has one year left on his contract that was scheduled to pay him a salary of $2,885,000 in 2009. There was much speculation leading up to the Super Bowl that the Steelers might release him because of that salary and because 2007 first-round draft choice Lawrence Timmons is behind him.

However, coach Mike Tomlin said shortly after the season that he wanted to keep Foote around and had no plans to release him.

Foote, a fourth-round draft pick from Michigan in 2002, has been a starter at inside linebacker since 2004. He said during the Super Bowl week that he would not take a salary cut in 2009 to remain with the Steelers, and there were reports he wanted to play for his hometown Detroit Lions if he were released.

Foote did not attend the team's first two voluntary workouts last week. His agent, Ken Kremer, said at the time he was working out in Detroit and planned to attend this weekend's minicamps. Kremer also said there had been no contract discussions between him and the Steelers.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
SteelCzar did make a modicum of sense about one thing:

I do think that this makes a move to a 4-3 one step closer...

WoodleyofTroy
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Lawrence Timmons: going into third season unable to win out a starting spot over any backer on the team including the not exceptionally talented career overacheiving 4th round selection Larry Foote. Whom the team had to release so as to "create" (give) a spot for him in hopes that he can somehow justify them (and more importantly Tomlin) selecting him within the top 20 prospects of his Draft class.

Bottom line,... this dude is not and will never be an elite player.(especially not in a 3-4 scheme)

And no, i,.. unlike some,.. do not believe that Timmons is the second coming of Greg Lloyd. He's not that much better a player than Foote, and most certainly not even as strong. Which will spell disaster for us inside with him playing the position.

Bottom line is, if Maualuga were a Steeler and put up the exact same stats and production as Timmons, you'd be calling him Jack Lambert.

Snatch98
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Sucks if this is true. I've only read the first page of the thread.

costanza2k1
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 22680.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_622680.html)

The Steelers have released veteran linebacker Larry Foote in an apparent cost-cutting move.

"I'm not surprised," Foote said. "I've been asking for (his release) since February."

Foote, who started the past four seasons at right inside linebacker, had been going into the final year of his contract.

The Steelers are trying to create room under the salary cap for the upcoming season, and Foote may have been expendable since the team can plug third-year linebacker and former first-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons into his spot.

He said several times last season that he thought the Steelers would replace him in the starting lineup with Timmons given what they invested in the former Florida State star.

Foote, a Detroit native has expressed interest in returning to his hometown and playing for the Lions.

Snatch98
04-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Lol funny...no hilarious. I thought all the Timmons haters had either left the building or had been converted. The man is a athletic freak and he's going to prove it each time he hits the field.

Djfan
04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks Larry. Good luck to you. You'll always be a Steeler in my book.

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM

And be prepared for what happened with Gruden in Tampa Bay to become our fate. Gruden steps in and wins a SuperBowl with personnel and a Team identity forged by hands and intellects that were not his own. Everybody proclaims him a genius and hottest young coach to come along in ages. In fact,... "He will rival Belichick in no time!" is what some proclaimed.

However given time to implement his philosophies and load the roster with "his guys",.....not only their identity, but winning fell thunderously to the wayside.

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 02:48 PM

Bottom line is, if Maualuga were a Steeler and put up the exact same stats and production as Timmons, you'd be calling him Jack Lambert.

No,.. i'd say Rey was 'slipping' (underacheiving) and not playing up to his potential if he was in the same position as Timmons at the same point in his pro career.

aggiebones
04-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't like it. He appeared to be begging for his release to go to the Lions. We don't always treat guys like meat, so maybe we were graciously giving him to the Lions. I've seen teams scratch each others back on things like this. Maybe we owed them or something.
It reminds me of when Jerry Jones owed the Fin's owner. He left him have Ireland big time personnel pimp of Parcells. He didn't want to but Jones had to let him go due to a previous solid from Miami. Noone knows about most of the other backroom stuff. Maybe not, but if he really goes to the Lions, it has that feel. Only in that we didn't trade him, just cutting him.

steelsnis
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Wow. Now you're not only ripping Timmons, but Tomlin? Jeez dude, Cowher's gone. Time to get your tattoo of his chin lasered off of your azz. And the Poz tattoo. You can get rid of that one too.

I love that there are still "sky is falling" guys out there. Even after a Super Bowl win, huh? Which of the Trib posters were you? Rickt maybe? You were calling for the Steelers to go 8-8 with last year's schedule weren't you. And you claimed that Tomlin's first year was a result of having Cowher's players, but year 2 was on him. So now after year 2 and a Super Bowl win, it's back to being Cowher's guys again?

hahaha it's so predictable.

WoodleyofTroy
04-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Eventhough the timing may seem like they tried trading him during the draft, but how is it they couldn't even walk away with at least a 7th round pick then? I'm sure a team would have bit.

LouSteel
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
:Blah

Unlike other teams, we have the luxury to slowly work a player into the rotation. Not to mention that our scheme asks more of the linebacker than any other position on the D. Timmons has had time to learn the system and get some experience -- and as a part-time player, his output seems to be right there with that of the starter.

Hell, I remember watching one of our high first round picks that looked positively lost his rookie season. Idiots had labled him a bust almost instantly. But for their credit, the team gave him time to learn his position -- and now he's one of the top safeties in the NFL.

And no, i,.. unlike some,.. do not believe that Timmons is the second coming of Greg Lloyd.

That's fair: neither do I. I see a young player with incredible physical talent and a great upside, and who has performed at the same level as the starter.

I do, however, think that this is his year to convince me -- and impatient fans everywhere -- that he's worth it.

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Wow. Now you're not only ripping Timmons, but Tomlin? Jeez dude, Cowher's gone. Time to get your tattoo of his chin lasered off of your azz. And the Poz tattoo. You can get rid of that one too.

I love that there are still "sky is falling" guys out there. Even after a Super Bowl win, huh? Which of the Trib posters were you? Rickt maybe? You were calling for the Steelers to go 8-8 with last year's schedule weren't you. And you claimed that Tomlin's first year was a result of having Cowher's players, but year 2 was on him. So now after year 2 and a Super Bowl win, it's back to being Cowher's guys again?

hahaha it's so predictable.

Shouldn't you be fast asleep in a Race Car bed somewhere ? :lol: You don't know me youngin,..as i have never posted on any "Trib" boards. Nor do i have any great affinity for Posluzny. Unless you were making reference to the fact that he (like Jon Beason) is a better player than Timmons yet he was drafted later ?

And what are you babbling incoherently about in terms of year one versus year two ? Both seasons were played with the vast majority of the players whom were actually making a difference on the field (as opposed to sitting in whirl pools, modeling sweatsuits and or coming in on third downs to drop into coverage or drop passes) were drafted during Coach Cowhers tenure ?

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
:Blah

Unlike other teams, we have the luxury to slowly work a player into the rotation. Not to mention that our scheme asks more of the linebacker than any other position on the D. Timmons has had time to learn the system and get some experience -- and as a part-time player, his output seems to be right there with that of the starter.

Hell, I remember watching one of our high first round picks that looked positively lost his rookie season. Idiots had labled him a bust almost instantly. But for their credit, the team gave him time to learn his position -- and now he's one of the top safeties in the NFL.

And no, i,.. unlike some,.. do not believe that Timmons is the second coming of Greg Lloyd.

That's fair: neither do I. I see a young player with incredible physical talent and a great upside, and who has performed at the same level as the starter.

I do, however, think that this is his year to convince me -- and impatient fans everywhere -- that he's worth it.

I do, however, think that this is his year to convince me -- and impatient fans everywhere -- that he's worth it

He has already convinced the people that matter, e.g. the coaches!!!!!

No matter what he does his detractors will find a stone to grind their ax against. I'm waiting to hear how great Poz is doing as a Bill all over again.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM

And be prepared for what happened with Gruden in Tampa Bay to become our fate. Gruden steps in and wins a SuperBowl with personnel and a Team identity forged by hands and intellects that were not his own. Everybody proclaims him a genius and hottest young coach to come along in ages. In fact,... "He will rival Belichick in no time!" is what some proclaimed.

However given time to implement his philosophies and load the roster with "his guys",.....not only their identity, but winning fell thunderously to the wayside.

Okay, now you are obviously just pulling things out of your @$$.

When Tampa won the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, Belichick was not considered any kind of genius. He was a successful defensive coordinator under Bill Parcells with the Giants, but then flamed out as a head coach in Cleveland. He went back to being an assistant coach under Parcells with the Pats and then the Jets. He resigned a day after being named head coach of the Jets, so he could go back to New England. In his first season in New England, his team was 5-11. In his second season, they turned it around to 11-5 and a surprise win over the heavily favored Rams in the Super Bowl. The follow season, as Gruden was leading the Bucs to a Super Bowl Championship, Belichick's Pats slipped back to 9-7, missing the playoffs.

Although he did have one Super Bowl win the year before Gruden's Bucs won their championship, Belichick's record was 36-44 in Cleveland and 25-23 in New England for a total of 61-67 record as head coach. No one knew at that time that Belichick's Pats would go on to win the next two Super Bowls after the Buccanneers win.

Gruden's regular season record at that point, by the way, was 50-30 (38-26 in Oakland and 12-4 in Tampa), with one Super Bowl win, which is obviously better than 61-67 with one Super Bowl win.

So no one would have said that Gruden would "rival Belichick in no time."

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 03:22 PM

There was no comparison between Timmons and Troy as collegiate players. Troy's future as a professional was never in doubt. (Though he went through his very brief growth period.) If memory serves me correctly,..the majority of the people whom were calling Troy a bust were from Western PA.

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
i will miss foote. he has been a solid player for years and is a great guy. find it hard to believe there were no takers as far as a trade. i would think we could of gotten at least a 6th or 7th round pick. i hope they have enough cap space now to sign a vet wr. depth at ilb might be a problem this season. this move makes me really wonder on passing on rey m

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 03:50 PM

When Tampa won the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, Belichick was not considered any kind of genius. He was a successful defensive coordinator under Bill Parcells with the Giants, but then flamed out as a head coach in Cleveland. He went back to being an assistant coach under Parcells with the Pats and then the Jets. He resigned a day after being named head coach of the Jets, so he could go back to New England. In his first season in New England, his team was 5-11. In his second season, they turned it around to 11-5 and a surprise win over the heavily favored Rams in the Super Bowl. The follow season, as Gruden was leading the Bucs to a Super Bowl Championship, Belichick's Pats slipped back to 9-7, missing the playoffs.

Although he did have one Super Bowl win the year before Gruden's Bucs won their championship, Belichick's record was 36-44 in Cleveland and 25-23 in New England for a total of 61-67 record as head coach. No one knew at that time that Belichick's Pats would go on to win the next two Super Bowls after the Buccanneers win.

Gruden's regular season record at that point, by the way, was 50-30 (38-26 in Oakland and 12-4 in Tampa), with one Super Bowl win, which is obviously better than 61-67 with one Super Bowl win.

Soooo,...no mention of the possible "Gruden in Tampa" type drop off with Tomlin and the Steelers eh Ruthless ? Very nice attempt to deflect and or sidestep the theme and or point of my post.

But i digress as from where i stand it has already begun in my opinion with the departure of,...Joey, Alan, and Larry whom are soon to be followed by Willie, and other more "expendable" (as Tomlin dictates) players Drafted under Coach Cowher's tenure.

All the while more of these "simple as grits" "position flexible" secretly intented to be 4-3 players will be phased into the roster.

Which will be followed by Coach lebeau retiring,..and finally culminating with the end of the 3-4 as the Steeler system and our rebirth as a poor imitation of one of Tony Dungy's Bucs or Colts squads. Thereby returning us to the painful mediocrity that defined this organization throughout the 80's.

Surely,..i cannot be the only one that see's this sh@t unfolding as it is happening right before all of our eyes ?

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Soooo,...no mention of the possible "Gruden in Tampa" type drop off with Tomlin and the Steelers eh Ruthless ? Very nice attempt to deflect and or sidestep the theme and or point of my post.

But i digress as from where i stand it has already begun in my opinion with the departure of,...Joey, Alan, and Larry whom are soon to be followed by Willie, and other more "expendable" (as Tomlin dictates) players Drafted under Coach Cowher's tenure.

All the while more of these "simple as grits" "position flexible" secretly intented to be 4-3 players will be phased into the roster.

Which will be followed by Coach lebeau retiring,..and finally culminating with the end of the 3-4 as the Steeler system and our rebirth as a poor imitation of one of Tony Dungy's Bucs or Colts squads. Thereby returning us to the painful mediocrity that defined this organization throughout the 80's.

Surely,..i cannot be the only one that see's this sh@t unfolding as it is happening right before all of our eyes ?

i think you are the only one predicting that. who cares if its a 3-4 or 4-3? a good defense is a good defense who cares what system they are playing in. your telling me the dungy bucs played a different 4-3 when gruden came in even though kiffin was still the dc in tampa?

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
this move makes me really wonder on passing on rey m

Because Rey would have taken the MLB spot from Timmons or Larry by at least his second season. And as Tomlin has plans for Timmons down the road,.. he has to "create" a spot for Timmons now to justify keeping a player that does not fit our system on the roster.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM

You exaggerate...

When Gruden's Buccaneers won the SB, he did rival Belichick...the Cheatriots had won only one SB at the time...

Tomlin has already loaded the roster with "his guys" (Hell, Tomlin is the only reason that James Harrison was given the opportunity to start) and implemented his philosophies (Have you noticed the differences in the Steelers' secondary play?)...

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Because Rey would have taken the MLB spot from Timmons or Larry by at least his second season. And as Tomlin has plans for Timmons down the road,.. he has to "create" a spot for Timmons now to justify keeping a player that does not fit our system on the roster.

You are right...Rey would have taken Foote's spot...he would have played in the base defense on 1st and 2nd down and he would come off the field on passing downs...

BURGH86STEEL
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I am surprised they released him. At least he has the opportunity to catch on with another team. Lets hope it is not the Pats. He seems like the type of player that Billchick covets.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM

Once Coach LeBeau retires, any 3-4 defense fielded by the Steelers would be a poor imitation of LeBeau's system...Jim Haslett couldn't consistently duplicate LeBeau's success...neither could Tim Lewis...

LeBeau will retire one of these days...rather than try to duplicate what he does (which would be impossible) I have no problem with our HC forging a new identity instead of falling short in a plae imitation of the old one...

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Eventhough the timing may seem like they tried trading him during the draft, but how is it they couldn't even walk away with at least a 7th round pick then? I'm sure a team would have bit.

Foote is only viewed as a legend by certain members of this board. The rest of the league knows he is a good but nothing special linebacker who was never going to be more than he is now. They also know that the Steelers are so close up against the cap if they were shopping him they would in all likelihood need to release him to clear cap space. Why would they give away a pick for a player who was likely going to get released?

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 04:46 PM
i think you are the only one predicting that. who cares if its a 3-4 or 4-3? a good defense is a good defense who cares what system they are playing in.

The difference is as such,....name a single team in NFL history that was considered exceptional defensively running a 4-3,..that was composed predominantly of players whom were not very talented and "ordinary as a bowl of grits". (Especially along their 4 man front and in their secondaries).

A 3-4 is far more efficient because it's more difficult to find 4 stud down lineman (especially Ends) and a secondary that must almost always have to have at least two all pro DB's at all times,....than it is to find 3 space eaters up front, and a linebacking corp with which you can use to disguise your intentions defensively, thereby keeping your opponent off balance and not only protect a suspect and or average secondary,......but "get after" the opposition via the flexibilty to blitz in ways that you cannot from a 4-3.

When Tomlim was running his 4-3 in Minnesota,...they ranked almost dead last in the league against the pass though they played the run well. Or,...does that mean they played the run well,..or that teams hardly stuck with the ground game against them as it was so easy to score on them via the air ? Hmmmmm

Either way,... that type of disparity does not sound like the best of Dungy's defenses of his past. And that,.. along with the the types of players that Tomlin considers his "kind of guys" so far does not lead me to believe that he is exactly a defensive "guru" or that his system will be even half as effective as Coach Lebeau's.

And as such we lose our identity as a defensively potent organization and become mediocre.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
This news about cutting Foote makes me even more disappointed with this year's draft.
Our FO knew he would be released this spring, but they didn't bother to draft an ILB???
Wow. My draft grade goes from a C to a D+...unless we really are transitioning to the 4-3 very soon.

AkronSteel
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for your services Mr. Foote, you will always be a Steeler in my book!!! Good luck in your home town.....hope you can help the LieDowns turn it around!!!

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
I first want to say I'm glad to see that this release has brought out some us fans' passions. Thats's how it should be. And props for everyone pretty much keeping the debate on topic and not slinging personal insults; I think it says a lot about us Steeler fans.

Imo: Larry was a solid, smart player who kept Timmons from the starting rotation because Larry knew lebeau's system inside-out, rarely made positional/technical mistakes and made the very most of the physical tools he had. A consumate team player who teammates could rely on to fullfill his role and be where he was supposed to be. Not a splashy playmaker with freakish ability but an intelligent player who wasrarely out of position. My opinion is that despite Timmons atheletic superiority, Larry's mastery of the technical aspects of the position made him the starter. However, it was looking very much like Timmons was ready to be a full-timer. I admit to being a timmons basher because he failed to beat out larry last year and I also had some criticisms about his run stuffing and his ability to shed a RB block on blitzes. But I believe he takes the next step this year and makes us doubters into believers.

And please stop w/ the Rey love. His hometown team passed on him for a reason. A team with a huge need at that very spot. A tem whose fan base would have LOVED to draft another samoan middle linebacker. Yes, we need depth an ILB but to have taken Rey instead of Hood at #32 would have been the lesser draft pick - quality and need wise. I think Rey will be a solid ilb but I have my doubts as to him being a super playmaking all pro.

Steelhere10
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
This wasn't Tomlin or Colbert decision ! It was Foote he was asked to be released or traded because he wanted to start some where else. This is on the Steelers espn radio station with Mike Logan and co. The Steelers just accomodated him.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
When Tomlim was running his 4-3 in Minnesota,...they ranked almost dead last in the league against the pass though they played the run well. Or,...does that mean they played the run well,..or that teams hardly stuck with the ground game against them as it was so easy to score on them via the air ? Hmmmmm.

It couldn't have been that easy...there were 18 NFL teams that gave up more points than Minnesota in 2006...

They only gave up 15 passing TDs, which was 4th fewest in the league...

They also recorded 21 INTs, which was 5th most in the league...

All that while having teams attempt more than 37 passes per game against them...

On the flipside, the Minnesota offense in 2006 was near the top of the league in INTs thrown and near the bottom of the league in TDs thrown...

With all that in mind, Tomlin did an awesome job with the Minnesota D...

NW Steeler
04-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Wow.

All this just because Timmons will be in the almighty' Foote's position next year. You sound like a conspiracy theorist.

BTW, I can't even tell you how many times I saw Foote absolutely trucked by a RB the past couple of years. Foote wasn't released because they needed to create a spot for Timmons he was released because Timmons took his spot.

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
i think you are the only one predicting that. who cares if its a 3-4 or 4-3? a good defense is a good defense who cares what system they are playing in.

The difference is as such,....name a single team in NFL history that was considered exceptional defensively running a 4-3,..that was composed predominantly of players whom were not very talented and "ordinary as a bowl of grits". (Especially along their 4 man front and in their secondaries).

A 3-4 is far more efficient because it's more difficult to find 4 stud down lineman (especially Ends) and a secondary that must almost always have to have at least two all pro DB's at all times,....than it is to find 3 space eaters up front, and a linebacking corp with which you can use to disguise your intentions defensively, thereby keeping your opponent off balance and not only protect a suspect and or average secondary,......but "get after" the opposition via the flexibilty to blitz in ways that you cannot from a 4-3.

When Tomlim was running his 4-3 in Minnesota,...they ranked almost dead last in the league against the pass though they played the run well. Or,...does that mean they played the run well,..or that teams hardly stuck with the ground game against them as it was so easy to score on them via the air ? Hmmmmm

Either way,... that type of disparity does not sound like the best of Dungy's defenses of his past. And that,.. along with the the types of players that Tomlin considers his "kind of guys" so far does not lead me to believe that he is exactly a defensive "guru" or that his system will be even half as effective as Coach Lebeau's.

And as such we lose our identity as a defensively potent organization and become mediocre.

name me one 3-4 defense in nfl history that won a sb with average players? thats the point, it doesnt matter what system you run. as long as you have talent on defense then you will have a good defense and a good team. its hard to find 4 stud lineman but it isnt hard finding dlineman that fit the 3-4? the giants usually have a good defense name one all pro cb they have had in the last 20 years? even in the 80's their cb's and even safetys were average. as long as you get pressure on the qb you can have average cb's in a 3-4 or 4-3. how many college teams even play a 3-4 besides virginia? i also dont agree with your logic on not picking rey. with your logic we would have taken him if they really thought he was the best player available. besides farrior is pretty old and foote is gone. i dont see how having timmons elimates any need for another ilb. you need at least 2 ilb's for a 3-4 therefore you need a lot of depth at ilb

Jooser
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Has anyone read this yet?

http://news.steelers.com/article/105143/

Official Steelers Statement on Larry Foote Reports

“Contrary to published reports, Larry Foote is still a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Any stories indicating that Larry has been released by the team are inaccurate.”

-- Steelers Communications Coordinator Dave Lockett

Sounds like Foote hasn't been released to me.

JAR
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Good luck Larry.

skyhawk
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Foote was solid solid as a Rock the whole time he was here.

Very underappreciated player IMO. I think this hurts the middle of our defense.

WoodleyofTroy
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Lions | Made offer for Foote
Comment (0)
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:25:33 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports the Detroit Lions offered a seventh-round draft choice to the Pittsburgh Steelers for LB Larry Foote, but the Steelers declined, according to a source.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Foote has not been released
Comment (0)
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:24:42 -0700

Contrary to a previous report, Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said LB Larry Foote is still a member of the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Comment (0)

Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports the Detroit Lions offered a seventh-round draft choice to the Pittsburgh Steelers for LB Larry Foote, but the Steelers declined, according to a source.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment (0)

Contrary to a previous report, Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said LB Larry Foote is still a member of the Steelers.

Tell Detroit that they can have Larry Foote and Ra'Shon Harris for Sammie Lee Hill.

WoodleyofTroy
04-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Comment (0)

Comment (0)

Tell Detroit that they can have Larry Foote and Ra'Shon Harris for Sammie Lee Hill.

Colts | Interested in acquiring Foote

Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:30:32 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports the Indianapolis Colts are believed to be interested in acquiring Pittsburgh Steelers LB Larry Foote.

Or Terrance Taylor. :)

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
When Tomlim was running his 4-3 in Minnesota,...they ranked almost dead last in the league against the pass though they played the run well. Or,...does that mean they played the run well,..or that teams hardly stuck with the ground game against them as it was so easy to score on them via the air ? Hmmmmm.

It couldn't have been that easy...there were 18 NFL teams that gave up more points than Minnesota in 2006...

They only gave up 15 passing TDs, which was 4th fewest in the league...

They also recorded 21 INTs, which was 5th most in the league...

All that while having teams attempt more than 37 passes per game against them...

On the flipside, the Minnesota offense in 2006 was near the top of the league in INTs thrown and near the bottom of the league in TDs thrown...

With all that in mind, Tomlin did an awesome job with the Minnesota D...

Dude,..all of that sounds good. But no matter how you attempt to spin it,..finishing 1st against the run and tying for dead last with the Bungles against the pass as Tomlin's Vikings did in 2006 is a pretty odd job in my opinion to say the least. And again,..is not what i'd consider a mark of defensive "genius".

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Dude,..all of that sounds good. But no matter how you attempt to spin it,..finishing 1st against the run and tying for dead last with the Bungles against the pass as Tomlin's Vikings did in 2006 is a pretty odd job in my opinion to say the least. And again,..is not what i'd consider a mark of defensive "genius".

Dude, I'm not spinning anything...

I am pointing out that cherry picking a single statistic is meaningless unless you look at it within the actual context...

Here is another example:

In 2007, the Steelers finished the season wth the number one overall defense in the NFL...do you think that they were the best defense in the NFL after watching the last third of that season? Without Aaron Smith (who is, incidentally, "plain as a bowl of grits")?

ANPSTEEL
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm late to the game on this thread, but I and several others called this-

it is/was inevitable. Foote wants to start and be an every down player. That is not going to happen here. Plus- when the team is so cap strapped, how do you justify his salary- as a backup??

I hold no ill will towards Larry Foote- and wish him all the best. But, Timmons is a much better athlete- and anything he may give up against interior runs - I expect him to make up for in the form of explosive plays which Foote can not duplicate.

Next- as slapstick pointed out- the 4-3 seems like it could be creeping in.

Woodley, Davis, and now Hood???

and no real replacement for Hampton, yet??

we'll see-

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm late, too, but, NFL Network just said it DIDN'T happen. They say it's likely inevitible if they can't find a trade partner.

Makes DeVille (and my take that we should have been more agressive wiht ILB's) look like a genius again - lol.

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
this move makes me really wonder on passing on rey m

How happy were you when Timmons got tackled right before the endzone after that 90 yard interception return vs New England?

"ha....i told you..this guy has no heart...can't pick up 1 yard..maualuga....so lazy...slow....maualuga..."

Seriously, how many back flips?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Comment (0)

Comment (0)

Colts | Interested in acquiring Foote

Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:30:32 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports the Indianapolis Colts are believed to be interested in acquiring Pittsburgh Steelers LB Larry Foote.

Or Terrance Taylor. :)

Or even Fili Moala for that matter. :wink:

frankthetank1
04-29-2009, 07:18 AM
if they are so close to the cap then why not let carey davis walk? releasing foote doesnt suprise me. what does suprise me is that they didnt draft a mlb knowing foote would be released

SteelBucks
04-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Comment (0)

Comment (0)

Yes, Foote is technically still a member of the Steelers. He is expected to be released AFTER the manditory minicamp this weekend. I'm not sure why they would drag this out any longer.......Trade?

feltdizz
04-29-2009, 08:42 AM

Dude, I'm not spinning anything...

I am pointing out that cherry picking a single statistic is meaningless unless you look at it within the actual context...

Here is another example:

In 2007, the Steelers finished the season wth the number one overall defense in the NFL...do you think that they were the best defense in the NFL after watching the last third of that season? Without Aaron Smith (who is, incidentally, "plain as a bowl of grits")?

If Czar predicted a SB win last year then I think he may have some credibility...
but I doubt he did.

He does sound awfully familiar though... doooooooom!!!

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Comment (0)

Comment (0)

Yes, Foote is technically still a member of the Steelers. He is expected to be released AFTER the manditory minicamp this weekend. I'm not sure why they would drag this out any longer.......Trade?
exactly... they said today that they don't know if they'd release him... but, they ARE actively looking for a trade.

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Comment (0)

Comment (0)

exactly... they said today that they don't know if they'd release him... but, they ARE actively looking for a trade.

In the Trib they reported that Foote asked for a trade as early as February and that he has felt limited in his role with the Steelers. First off the only limitation is his abilities. He is good but nothing special. He also said he would be skipping the mandatory mini-camp this weekend.

It would be nice to get something for him but if we don't will it really matter. The biggest value in him leaving is his cap space.

SteelCzar76
04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
In the Trib they reported that Foote asked for a trade as early as February and that he has felt limited in his role with the Steelers. First off the only limitation is his abilities. He is good but nothing special. He also said he would be skipping the mandatory mini-camp this weekend.

It would be nice to get something for him but if we don't will it really matter. The biggest value in him leaving is his cap space.

I wouldn't say it's Larry's "lack of ability" per se as much as it's just simply a matter of Front Offices and Coaches not wanting to admit that they "missed" or not or on a 1st round pick. And as such, they will go above and beyond in terms of giving the said player (1st round pick) every single opportunity possible to prosper and in turn make them look as though they made the right decision. This is the case with every team in the League, not only the Steelers.

The truth is....Silverback's surprise productivity (At least to Tomlin) and Woodley performing at a level that an elite young prospect is supposed to by becoming an impact starter within two seasons,...dictates that the only way Timmons could possibly see the field as a starter would be for him to supplant one of the starters inside. (Though it's hardly his natural position)

Now it can't possibly be Potsie's spot,... as film does not lie,...and they couldn't justify to anyone on the planet that Timmons is a better player. So it comes down to the solid late round selection of Larry Foote,....not because he so greatly lacks the ability to play on third downs,..but because he's the most expendable starting backer in their eyes.

And in turn,..as Mike Logan spoke of on Stillers 365,...they took him (Larry) off of the field on third downs to allow Timmons the opportunity to shine on the obvious passing down after Foote had done the "dirty work" on 1st and 2nd. And henceforth be able to say,..."You see how good he looks,...surely he must be the greatest ! We didn't make a mistake in drafting him ! (Timmons) And f@ck what your lying eyes say,..Tomlin isn't clandestinely stocking the roster with 4-3 players !" :lol:

Bottom line,....though Larry is by no means an elite player,....Timmons still could not take his spot,..it had to be given to him by Tomlin and the Front office.

But it's all good,...we gain a little Cap Space and Larry will move on and prosper,...it is what it is.

aggiebones
04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Wow, that is a bizarre story you just told Czar. For one in the last half of the year, Timmons got more PT, not just on 3rd downs, but in general. And you claim Woodley has done what elite prospects do, but in reality most do not star in year 1 or even year 2 in the NFL as Woodley has done. He is an aberration. Timmons has progressed well. You can keep complaining about t he pick all you want, but he's good. I'd like to keep things status quo, but Foote costs alot and clearly is not the better player for the long term. I'm sure he still does some things better than Timmons, but not worth keeping a disgruntled Foote for $3-4M. Your whole series of complaints smacks of someone that won't admit he was wrong until the guy gets a Hall of Fame induction. No I'm not expecting that either. But I think the way this is playing out is less about front office egos and more about cap and comparable skills.
Foote is good, nothing more.

papillon
04-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Mike Tomlin has mentioned many times in post game conferences, in interviews, etc that he wants players that can make splash plays. He likes Timmons because of his ability to do just that and, he did that a few times last year in a limited role. Larry Foote while still a good linebacker is not making splash plays and Timmons has the ability to do so from a position that typically does not make splash plays the ILB in a 34 defense.

I think Tomlin is just giving Lebeau another bullet to load into his gun to be used during a game. He also understands that he may be giving something up in run support, but that the big play potential has a greater upside to change the outcome of a game.

Pappy

SteelCzar76
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Larry Foote while still a good linebacker is not making splash plays and Timmons has the ability to do so from a position that typically does not make splash plays the ILB in a 34 defense.

Therein lies the heart of what gives me pause Pap. It's very difficult for even elite players with the actual physical strength and measurables to make splash plays at the ILB position in a 3-4. (It's just the nature of the position.)

And from what i know of the game,...i just can't conceptualize how an undersized quick twitch "pursuit" backer that was not overly productive in his natural position outside in a 4-3 base defense in college,.... is going to be able to be physical enough to be successful inside in a 3-4 scheme in the pro's ?

Sure,...Timmons is better in coverage than Foote,....but not by that great of a margin. (He's not THAT exceptional) He's beaten nearly just as often as he's able blanket backs or the better TE's.

My point being,..what we gain in a slight upgrade in coverage....we lose in respect to being as effective against the run and or pressure on the passer from the inside. And is that such a considerable improvement defensively ?

The way i see it,..the the effectiveness of Coach Lebeau's defense defines just how successful we are or not in light of how poorly the offense plays for the majority of most games. And as such,...if we were to undergo a dramatic drop off in productivity defensively we are very likely to be in for a very long season to say the least. Case in point,..the Titans effectively neutralize our pass rush and henceforth our entire defense by being able to run the ball effectively, the pressure is put on the offense to produce for more than say two drives a game,...and we get our azzes handed to us gift wrapped with a trampled Terrible Towel.

But as i said before,..it's all good,...all that we can do is see just how things pan out. And in my case,..hope that time doesn't catch up with Potsie and we are able to avoid injuries amongst the rest of the front seven.

DukieBoy
04-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Looking forward to seeing what Lebeau does with zone blitz schemes when he has Timmons on the field for all downs. My thinking is the blitz schemes get significantly more difficult for opponents with Timmons in the mix.

AkronSteel
04-30-2009, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't say it's Larry's "lack of ability" per se as much as it's just simply a matter of Front Offices and Coaches not wanting to admit that they "missed" or not or on a 1st round pick. And as such, they will go above and beyond in terms of giving the said player (1st round pick) every single opportunity possible to prosper and in turn make them look as though they made the right decision. This is the case with every team in the League, not only the Steelers.

The truth is....Silverback's surprise productivity (At least to Tomlin) and Woodley performing at a level that an elite young prospect is supposed to by becoming an impact starter within two seasons,...dictates that the only way Timmons could possibly see the field as a starter would be for him to supplant one of the starters inside. (Though it's hardly his natural position)

Now it can't possibly be Potsie's spot,... as film does not lie,...and they couldn't justify to anyone on the planet that Timmons is a better player. So it comes down to the solid late round selection of Larry Foote,....not because he so greatly lacks the ability to play on third downs,..but because he's the most expendable starting backer in their eyes.

And in turn,..as Mike Logan spoke of on Stillers 365,...they took him (Larry) off of the field on third downs to allow Timmons the opportunity to shine on the obvious passing down after Foote had done the "dirty work" on 1st and 2nd. And henceforth be able to say,..."You see how good he looks,...surely he must be the greatest ! We didn't make a mistake in drafting him ! (Timmons) And f@ck what your lying eyes say,..Tomlin isn't clandestinely stocking the roster with 4-3 players !" :lol:

Bottom line,....though Larry is by no means an elite player,....Timmons still could not take his spot,..it had to be given to him by Tomlin and the Front office.

But it's all good,...we gain a little Cap Space and Larry will move on and prosper,...it is what it is.

If Larry Foote is that much better a player than Lawrence Timmons then why did he only have 7 more tackles than LT over the entire 16 game schedule?? If he is so much better then why did he have 3.5 less sacks??? Timmons only played on 3rd down but put up many more stats per opportunity than the guy that is being cut. I for one saw plenty of progress in Timmons game last year and I think he will be an exceptional player for years to come!!! I just don't see what axe you are trying to grind! LT has shown the potential to be a far superior player to Larry Foote.....is it that you wanted someone else with that pick (Staley, Grubbs, Beason, Poz), and now want to try to justify your position?? I just don't get it???

Chadman
04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Not sure why this has become such a heated debate over a player that many of you wanted replaced last season (Foote).

Foote is a solid, 'don't let you down' type LB that every team loves to have.

Timmons is a superb athlete that showed in limited time last season that he can become a difference maker.

They are not the same type of player, so comparing them is sort of redundant- only thing is they play the same position.

Defences are becoming more attacking, more 'big play' every year. So it stands to reason that players that can provide that 'big play' are going to be pushed into playing.

Foote is solid. Losing him will be a shame. But Timmons can upgrade the defence in ways Foote cannot.

The Timmons hate will last as long as he's not a 'star'. Not point argueing the point with those that hated the pick.

papillon
04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Not sure why this has become such a heated debate over a player that many of you wanted replaced last season (Foote).

Foote is a solid, 'don't let you down' type LB that every team loves to have.

Timmons is a superb athlete that showed in limited time last season that he can become a difference maker.

They are not the same type of player, so comparing them is sort of redundant- only thing is they play the same position.

Defences are becoming more attacking, more 'big play' every year. So it stands to reason that players that can provide that 'big play' are going to be pushed into playing.

Foote is solid. Losing him will be a shame. But Timmons can upgrade the defence in ways Foote cannot.

The Timmons hate will last as long as he's not a 'star'. Not point argueing the point with those that hated the pick.

Quoted for truth.

:Bow :Bow :Bow

Pappy

SteelTorch
04-30-2009, 11:47 PM
So, how long til we switch to a 4-3? :stirpot