PDA

View Full Version : What I thought we should have done...

steelers43
04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
While I can't complain with the draft too much, I would have done a few things different. I liked the move down, loved the Hood pickup, felt Urbik fills a need and Wallace was a nice pickup, I would have done differently from there on,

1. Ziggy Hood - Clearly the best player left for us imo. Great value, tremendous pick and huge upside. Moves great for a man his size and he may even lose a few pounds and be even quicker. Strength is very good and movement is truly rare.

3a - Kraig Urbik - Fills a need and gives us a starting guard at best and a backup swing man at worst. Should be at least roster worthy. Who knows, maybe even a possibility of a RT. I really would have liked if we could have moved up for Unger. I think he could have really challenged for RT and started at guard/center. Truly rare to find someone who can play all three positions and do it well.

3b. - Mike Wallace - Fills a need for returner and has tremendous upside. Truly rare speed and already the fastest guy on the roster imo. If he played at OSU, USC, Texas, Florida, etc., he'd have been a first rounder with much better stats imo. Well, maybe not better stats with OSU and Pryor at QB but you get my point.

3c. - Terrance Taylor - This is where I disagree on the CB selection. With so many still available, how can you pass on Taylor. He has tremendous move skills for his size and makes plays laterally like a LB at times. He is incredibly strong and can easily afford to put on another 20 lbs as he ages. He'd be our next great NT imo. Think we missed the boat by wasting this opportunity. If Michigan didn't suck, he'd be a first rounder. Also, with Ratliff being signed we have both youth and veteran leadership at the CB position. We have no youth at the NT position.

5a. - Joe Burnett - Can't argue with this pick. Gives us both a return man and someone to compete for the CB depth.

5b. - Frank Summers - While I can't help but wonder if Javon Ringer may have been a better pick with Willie done after this year and Mendenhall already a power back, I like what this signifies. It tells us we will be more of a power team or have the FB in more with Mendy/Willy behind him. Back to the power game I can't argue with.

6. - A.Q. Shipley - Can't argue with this pick but I would have taken him here. Had him rated as a later fourth to fifth player so it was great value and need.

7a. - Lydon Murtha - Intriguing prospct at tackle. May take a year or two to develop but has tremendous move skills for his size, something if you read this you know I clearly emphasize. Has top 10 OT athleticism but needs time.

7b. - Ricky Jean-Francois - Another great prospect for the DL but may take some time to develop. Again, great movement skills for his age and strength is good/not great. DR canidate for the left side with Hood being on the right side.

:2c

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
I wanted Myron Pryor instead of Rashon Harris, who went immediately afterwards to a pats*** team who already drafted Ron Brace. But by steeler thinking if Harris develops and works, he could play both de and NT. While I'm betting pryor is purely NT

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
For the most part, I agree with your logic - instead, I'd have kept the first CB, but, would have gone with Myron Pryor instead of the 2nd CB. Similar outcome, just different guys.

my last pick would have been Darry Beckwith or Trevor Canfield. Basically, somebody who actually had a chance to make the team.

steelers43
04-28-2009, 12:54 AM
For the most part, I agree with your logic - instead, I'd have kept the first CB, but, would have gone with Myron Pryor instead of the 2nd CB. Similar outcome, just different guys.

my last pick would have been Darry Beckwith or Trevor Canfield. Basically, somebody who actually had a chance to make the team.

I don't see Pryor as being in Taylor's class. I think Taylor is a clear steal for the Colts.

I like Canfield but feel Murtha has potential to be a franchise LT but will take time. Practice squad to ten year starter and worth the risk in round 7.

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 01:00 AM

I don't see Pryor as being in Taylor's class. I think Taylor is a clear steal for the Colts.

I like Canfield but feel Murtha has potential to be a franchise LT but will take time. Practice squad to ten year starter and worth the risk in round 7.
NE got Pryor after getting Brace the day before and Colts got Taylor after getting Peria Jerry the day before. Wonder if Taylor/Pryor have a real shot of making their teams?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 01:03 AM

see, i put taylor and pryor in the same league and didn't feel there was much drop off, if any. School recognition (similar to your take on Jackson vs Ziggy). pryor had a field day against Wood, et all in our game....

only time will tell...

stlrz d
04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
3a - Kraig Urbik - Fills a need and gives us a starting guard at best and a backup swing man at worst. Should be at least roster worthy. Who knows, maybe even a possibility of a RT. I really would have liked if we could have moved up for Unger. I think he could have really challenged for RT and started at guard/center. Truly rare to find someone who can play all three positions and do it well.

Not sure if you saw it, but someone posted a story that said we tried to trade up to get him once Wood was taken, but no one was willing so we traded back with the Broncos instead.

Unless you meant you knew that and were just wishing it had worked out that way.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 01:12 AM

NE got Pryor after getting Brace the day before and Colts got Taylor after getting Peria Jerry the day before. Wonder if Taylor/Pryor have a real shot of making their teams?

The Colts didn't get Jerry...they got Fili Moala in round 2. Their first round pick was RB Donald Brown.

steelers43
04-28-2009, 01:24 AM

see, i put taylor and pryor in the same league and didn't feel there was much drop off, if any. School recognition (similar to your take on Jackson vs Ziggy). pryor had a field day against Wood, et all in our game....

only time will tell...

Taylor's move skils are light years above Pryor imo. I've seen Taylor make plays on the sideline, as a 300 lb'er. That's impressive.

steelers43
04-28-2009, 01:25 AM

Not sure if you saw it, but someone posted a story that said we tried to trade up to get him once Wood was taken, but no one was willing so we traded back with the Broncos instead.

Unless you meant you knew that and were just wishing it had worked out that way.

I would have taken Unger ahead of Mack and Wood but not Hood.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 01:27 AM

only time will tell...

Taylor's move skils are light years above Pryor imo. I've seen Taylor make plays on the sideline, as a 300 lb'er. That's impressive.
again, time will tell. we're talking about a pair of mid-rounders, not a 1st and a 7th.

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Jesus Ruth, I'm feeling senile at this point. Yu of course are right. And being that they are a 4-3 they can both make the team as interior lineman

steelers43
04-28-2009, 01:32 AM

I'd be shocked if Taylor didn't make it but I wouldn't be surprised if Pryor was cut.

steelers43
04-28-2009, 01:34 AM

only time will tell...

again, time will tell. we're talking about a pair of mid-rounders, not a 1st and a 7th.

Taylor popped everytime I saw them play Michigan. I think he's easily a top 2-3 round player and a tremendous value.

You likely saw more of Pryor than me. I'd take Pryor but not over Taylor.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Taylor popped everytime I saw them play Michigan. I think he's easily a top 2-3 round player and a tremendous value.

You likely saw more of Pryor than me. I'd take Pryor but not over Taylor.
I saw more of Pryor than I wanted to see... all up in Hunter Cantwell's grill - LOL.

I think his problem was that he was the guy who got double-teamed on UK's like and his numbers went down...

I think both have long futures in the NFL.

Remember, my choice of Pryor wasn't exclusively over Taylor - it was coupled with the better CB. I think we both think Taylor is better - the question is to what extent.

I felt the difference in the CBs was bigger than the diffrence in the DTs.

Both are upfield guys and I'm not convinced that either can slow it down enough to be the NT's we need... while a little short, either might work at DE in the 34.

Jom112
04-28-2009, 07:03 AM
7a. - Lydon Murtha - Intriguing prospct at tackle. May take a year or two to develop but has tremendous move skills for his size, something if you read this you know I clearly emphasize. Has top 10 OT athleticism but needs time.

Don't let the combine numbers fool you. Murtha is horrible...

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 07:46 AM
While I can't complain with the draft too much, I would have done a few things different. I liked the move down, loved the Hood pickup, felt Urbik fills a need and Wallace was a nice pickup, I would have done differently from there on,

1. Ziggy Hood - Clearly the best player left for us imo. Great value, tremendous pick and huge upside. Moves great for a man his size and he may even lose a few pounds and be even quicker. Strength is very good and movement is truly rare.

3b. - Mike Wallace - Fills a need for returner and has tremendous upside. Truly rare speed and already the fastest guy on the roster imo. If he played at OSU, USC, Texas, Florida, etc., he'd have been a first rounder with much better stats imo. Well, maybe not better stats with OSU and Pryor at QB but you get my point.

3c. - Terrance Taylor - This is where I disagree on the CB selection. With so many still available, how can you pass on Taylor. He has tremendous move skills for his size and makes plays laterally like a LB at times. He is incredibly strong and can easily afford to put on another 20 lbs as he ages. He'd be our next great NT imo. Think we missed the boat by wasting this opportunity. If Michigan didn't suck, he'd be a first rounder. Also, with Ratliff being signed we have both youth and veteran leadership at the CB position. We have no youth at the NT position.

5a. - Joe Burnett - Can't argue with this pick. Gives us both a return man and someone to compete for the CB depth.

5b. - Frank Summers - While I can't help but wonder if Javon Ringer may have been a better pick with Willie done after this year and Mendenhall already a power back, I like what this signifies. It tells us we will be more of a power team or have the FB in more with Mendy/Willy behind him. Back to the power game I can't argue with.

6. - A.Q. Shipley - Can't argue with this pick but I would have taken him here. Had him rated as a later fourth to fifth player so it was great value and need.

7b. - Ricky Jean-Francois - Another great prospect for the DL but may take some time to develop. Again, great movement skills for his age and strength is good/not great. DR canidate for the left side with Hood being on the right side.

:2c

I pretty much agree with you all the way down the line. I'm not a Keenan Lewis fan and I think we needed an option at NT more than him. I would have picked the same players except Francois. I would have taken Zack Potter instead.

stlrz d
04-28-2009, 09:26 AM

I'm not sure (can't find the post) but I don't think we were looking to move into round 1. Just looking to move up in 2 to get him, no one wanted to play, so we moved back instead.

Once Wood was picked that spurred them to try and make a move.

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 09:57 AM
[quote=steelers43]

I'm not sure (can't find the post) but I don't think we were looking to move into round 1. Just looking to move up in 2 to get him, no one wanted to play, so we moved back instead.

Once Wood was picked that spurred them to try and make a move.[/quote:e8hg5g0p]

I read that they were trying to move up in Round 2 to get Max Unger but he went to Seattle at 2.49. I am really pretty excited we got Shipley. I think he will be solid which is all I really want for OL. Solid and consistent.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
What I would have done:

1. OT Eben Britton, Arizona

(While there are needs along both o-line and d-line, I thought that a top OT would be a slightly larger priority, since both of our starting OT's are going into their last season, while only 1 of our 2 starting DE's are going into their last season. While Britton may not one of the top tier guys that were expected to go in the top half of the first, it is not a stretch to take the consensus #5 OT with the last pick in the first round, given the importance teams have been putting on the tackle position in the draft recently. He could have competed with Colon at RT off the bat, and would certainly be a candidate to start in 2010 if they are unable to re-sign Starks and/or Colon beyond this season).

2. DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State

(In the actual draft, after taking Hood in round 1, I agreed with passing on Gilbert and trading down for two third rounders because it was great value, but if we had taken Britton in round 1 instead, I would have stood pat in the second and taken Gilbert since he was still available at #64)

3. NT Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman

(Nose tackles are vital to the 3-4, and this small school prospect could use some time to develop before he is ready to contribute in the NFL. In 2009, Hampton and Hoke would be able to man the position with Hill likely inactive on most gamedays. However, if they are not able to re-sign Hampton after this season, then having Hoke and Hill in 2010 would give you a solid veteran option and an up-and-coming future starter)

4. OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

(A powerful run blocker who is arguably the best pure talent at guard in the draft would be a big-time value pick at the end of the 4th round, when some were projecting him to us in round 1 not too long ago)

5. CB Joe Burnett, Central Florida

(Finally, a guy we actually picked! Can be a solid nickel/dime corner and also offers return skills)

5. RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty

(I think Jennings is a better overall RB than Summers, even though he was not taken until a 7th round comp pick. I think Jennings could possibly become a Jamal Lewis type, while Summers could be more of a Fuamatu-Ma'Afala type. While we all loved Fu when he was here, and will likely love Summers as well, I think Jennings had more upside)

6. WR Quan Cosby, Texas

(Even though he wasn't drafted, I think he would make a solid addition to a team. The fact that he is overaged and is smaller than people thought likely pushed him out of the draft, but I think he could be a solid slot WR with returnability. He also has experience working with Sweed)

7. OC A.Q. Shipley, Penn State

(My second actual pick! Although not the ideal center prospect physically, a guy with his heart and tenacity is too much of a bargain not to take at this point)

7. DE Zach Potter, Nebraska

(A developmental 3-4 DE who can learn the scheme for a year or two on the practice squad. Similar to Brett Keisel, who also took several years to adjust after he was a 7th round pick).

Three o-linemen (OT, OG, OC) and three d-linemen (DE, NT, DE) fulfills my "big, ugly" wish. And my 5th and 6th round picks, Burnett, Jennings, and Cosby are drafted as potential replacements for McFadden, Russell, and Washington.

papillon
04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
What I would have done:

(While there are needs along both o-line and d-line, I thought that a top OT would be a slightly larger priority, since both of our starting OT's are going into their last season, while only 1 of our 2 starting DE's are going into their last season. While Britton may not one of the top tier guys that were expected to go in the top half of the first, it is not a stretch to take the consensus #5 OT with the last pick in the first round, given the importance teams have been putting on the tackle position in the draft recently. He could have competed with Colon at RT off the bat, and would certainly be a candidate to start in 2010 if they are unable to re-sign Starks and/or Colon beyond this season).

(In the actual draft, after taking Hood in round 1, I agreed with passing on Gilbert and trading down for two third rounders because it was great value, but if we had taken Britton in round 1 instead, I would have stood pat in the second and taken Gilbert since he was still available at #64)

(Nose tackles are vital to the 3-4, and this small school prospect could use some time to develop before he is ready to contribute in the NFL. In 2009, Hampton and Hoke would be able to man the position with Hill likely inactive on most gamedays. However, if they are not able to re-sign Hampton after this season, then having Hoke and Hill in 2010 would give you a solid veteran option and an up-and-coming future starter)

(A powerful run blocker who is arguably the best pure talent at guard in the draft would be a big-time value pick at the end of the 4th round, when some were projecting him to us in round 1 not too long ago)

(Finally, a guy we actually picked! Can be a solid nickel/dime corner and also offers return skills)

(I think Jennings is a better overall RB than Summers, even though he was not taken until a 7th round comp pick. I think Jennings could possibly become a Jamal Lewis type, while Summers could be more of a Fuamatu-Ma'Afala type. While we all loved Fu when he was here, and will likely love Summers as well, I think Jennings had more upside)

6. WR Quan Cosby, Texas

(Even though he wasn't drafted, I think he would make a solid addition to a team. The fact that he is overaged and is smaller than people thought likely pushed him out of the draft, but I think he could be a solid slot WR with returnability. He also has experience working with Sweed)

(My second actual pick! Although not the ideal center prospect physically, a guy with his heart and tenacity is too much of a bargain not to take at this point)

(A developmental 3-4 DE who can learn the scheme for a year or two on the practice squad. Similar to Brett Keisel, who also took several years to adjust after he was a 7th round pick).

Three o-linemen (OT, OG, OC) and three d-linemen (DE, NT, DE) fulfills my "big, ugly" wish. And my 5th and 6th round picks, Burnett, Jennings, and Cosby are drafted as potential replacements for McFadden, Russell, and Washington.

That is an excellent retrospective mock draft. :P

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
What I would have done:

6. WR Quan Cosby, Texas

That is an excellent retrospective mock draft. :P

Pappy

Yeah, but there is no way that any of those guys will actually be available where I am projecting them. :wink:

BradshawsHairdresser
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
What I would have done:

6. WR Quan Cosby, Texas

I like your coulda-been draft better than the one we got.
Guess time will tell if you're smarter than Colbert and Co.... :D

steelers43
04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
The only people projecting Duke Robinson in the first were people that had no clue what they were talking about. He's soft and has a diva attitude. No thanks.

steelers43
04-28-2009, 12:04 PM

I'd disagree that he is horrible but he does have limited experience and hence, I would have taken him as a developmental project in the 7th. If he already played to his potential, he'd have been a first day pick, easy.

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 06:35 PM
The only people projecting Duke Robinson in the first were people that had no clue what they were talking about. He's soft and has a diva attitude. No thanks.

yea i dont think robinson will have a good career in the nfl. taylor would have been a great pick though. i was pissed to see him taken by the colts.

Chavezz
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Chavezz
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Take a look at the potential NT's that will most likely come out next year. I know I know, next year is a long way away but if the draft class continues to develop as planned, we're talking HISTORIC talent at DE/DT/NT positions.

Rookie NT's can come in and contribute early on in our system. They are asked to do alot but most of it is physical in nature as opposed to mental.

Also good OT next year too, there were 2-3 that were going to come out this year but because of depth they decided to go back for one more year.

True Fan
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Take a look at the potential NT's that will most likely come out next year. I know I know, next year is a long way away but if the draft class continues to develop as planned, we're talking HISTORIC talent at DE/DT/NT positions.

Rookie NT's can come in and contribute early on in our system. They are asked to do alot but most of it is physical in nature as opposed to mental.

Also good OT next year too, there were 2-3 that were going to come out this year but because of depth they decided to go back for one more year.

they'll be gone by the time we pick so we'll have to ignore that position for yet another draft

steelers43
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I have to think a defensive tackle will get cut somewhere. I'd like to see one added at some point although I read they plan to try Ra'Shon at DT which surprised me although I know little about him.

I just don't see how none are cut.

I'd also like to see them look at ILB's and OT's that are cut. I'm not sold on Hills, Capizzi being capable backups. I hope so but I can't know that.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Yo', SteelersXLIII!!

(Sorry, just had to say that once - maybe it'll stick with everybody else).

with the Foote news today, sounds like I was right on that ILB call... Beckwith in the 7th would have been SWEET.

steelers43
04-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Yo', SteelersXLIII!!

with the Foote news today, sounds like I was right on that ILB call... Beckwith in the 7th would have been SWEET.

I don't disagree that an ILB would have been alright to add, especially in the 7th with that second pick.

That said, they would have to beat out some stiff competition. Bailey was just re-signed and is an excellent special teamer, as is Fox. Neither of them are going anywhere. We'll likely develop someone on the PS in case of injury.

I am curious as a while ago, I thought you complained when I had a mock with Jasper Brinkley in it? Wasn't that you?

Flasteel
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM

I don't know dick about the college talent compared with some of you guys, but I have to disagree on Burnett SoD. Punt return was one of our biggest needs and has been for some time. This kid has an unbelievable resume and it seems his only knock is being a midget. Even with that hanging over him (no pun intended), he was first-team all-conference as a kick returner, punt returner, and corner...I'll take him!

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Yo', SteelersXLIII!!

I don't disagree that an ILB would have been alright to add, especially in the 7th with that second pick.

That said, they would have to beat out some stiff competition. Bailey was just re-signed and is an excellent special teamer, as is Fox. Neither of them are going anywhere. We'll likely develop someone on the PS in case of injury.

I am curious as a while ago, I thought you complained when I had a mock with Jasper Brinkley in it? Wasn't that you?
I loved brinkley... only way i would have complained is if you had him too early.

I hope Fox or Bailey can be sufficient should on of the guys go down.

Chadman
04-29-2009, 02:51 AM
Ok, had it been Chadman drafting- using the picks the Steelers HAD-

1. #32 FS Louis Delmas- The Steelers only have 1 Safety on the books next season (at this point). In Chadman's opinion, Delmas has more 'special' ability than Hood.

2. #64 DE Jarron Gilbert- The need for young DL was evident. The Steelers took Hood, Chadman would have grabbed Gilbert here. Still- Hood looks te goods.

3. #96 OG Tyrone Green- Green went at the end of Round 4, but Chadman would have grabbed him about here. Steelers got Urbik in Rd 3, so they probably got better value.

4. #132 NT Terrence Taylor- Would have been a great pick-up in this spot.

5. #168 CB Joe Burnett- Hard to argue with the guy the Steelers actually got here.

5. #169 RB Frank Summers- as above.

6. #205 LB Zach Follett- Very good, athletic player that could have filled a need now that Foote is likely gone.

7. #226 OC A.Q. Shipley- Hard to argue with the value the Steelers aquired with this pick. Chadman had Shipley going in Rd 3-4, but hey- at Rd 7- that's good work.

7. #241 DE Will Johnson- Looked like a prototype 3-4 DE to Chadman. That players like him were not drafted does certainly allude to the posibility of a 4-3 coming...

steelcityrules!!
04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
43, good call.
I was in the chat thread on day 2 pulling hard for taylor in the 3-5 range.
I thought we missed out bigtime by not taking him, and was hoping that we packaged a pick or two to move up in the 5th to get him.

your list would have been a better outcome, although I am quite pleased with what we wound up with.

time will tell.

steelers43
04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
43, good call.
I was in the chat thread on day 2 pulling hard for taylor in the 3-5 range.
I thought we missed out bigtime by not taking him, and was hoping that we packaged a pick or two to move up in the 5th to get him.

your list would have been a better outcome, although I am quite pleased with what we wound up with.

time will tell.

Yeah, I really can't complain. I'm sure they had their reasons for not taking him. I just feel he is a much better player than where he was drafted.