PDA

View Full Version : Compare and Contrast Tyson Jackson vs. Ziggy Hood

BigRob
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Based on pure production alone, did Tyson Jackson deserve to be drafted that much higher than Ziggy Hood?

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Here are the raw numbers:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defensive End | Senior | L.S.U. Tyson Jackson
Height: 6-4 1/8 | Weight: 296 | 40-Time: 4.95

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2004 RS - - -
2005 13 12 1.0 1.0
2006 13 37 13.0 10.0
2007 14 36 7.0 4.0
2008 13 36 10.5 4.5
Totals 53 121 31.5 19.5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defensive Tackle | Senior | Missouri Evander Hood
Height: 6-2 7/8 | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 4.89

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2005 12 18 3.0 1.0
2006 10 36 5.0 4.0
2007 14 49 8.0 5.0
2008 14 62 7.0 5.0
Totals 50 165 23.0 15.0

In 3 more games, Jackson had 8.5 more tackles for loss and 4.5 more sacks, but hood had 44 more tackles.

Hood is bulker because he is 4 pounds heavier and 1 1/4 inches shorter, but still ran a faster 40 time by 0.06 seconds.

Survey says...they are awfully similar, production-wise.

BigRob
04-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Here are the raw numbers:

Defensive End | Senior | L.S.U. Tyson Jackson
Height: 6-4 1/8 | Weight: 296 | 40-Time: 4.95

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2004 RS - - -
2005 13 12 1.0 1.0
2006 13 37 13.0 10.0
2007 14 36 7.0 4.0
2008 13 36 10.5 4.5
Totals 53 121 31.5 19.5

Defensive Tackle | Senior | Missouri Evander Hood
Height: 6-2 7/8 | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 4.89

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2005 12 18 3.0 1.0
2006 10 36 5.0 4.0
2007 14 49 8.0 5.0
2008 14 62 7.0 5.0
Totals 50 165 23.0 15.0

In 3 more games, Jackson had 8.5 more tackles for loss and 4.5 more sacks, but hood had 44 more tackles.

Hood is bulker because he is 4 pounds heavier and 1 1/4 inches shorter, but still ran a faster 40 time by 0.06 seconds.

Survey says...they are awfully similar, production-wise.

Makes me feel better for the value of the pick, thats for sure.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
different systems... it's like asking someone to compare Aaron Smith with Mario Williams based on numbers... i know it's not to that extreme, but, I needed to have you get the point.

BigRob
04-28-2009, 12:01 AM
different systems... it's like asking someone to compare Aaron Smith with Mario Williams based on numbers... i know it's not to that extreme, but, I needed to have you get the point.

???????????????????? They both played DT in fairly similar schemes. I wasn't comparing a 3-4 End to a 4-3 Sack artist. They played very similar positions in college, except Jackson played more 4-3 End at LSU than Hood did at Missouri. It is a fair comparison.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 12:21 AM

???????????????????? They both played DT in fairly similar schemes. I wasn't comparing a 3-4 End to a 4-3 Sack artist. They played very similar positions in college, except Jackson played more 4-3 End at LSU than Hood did at Missouri. It is a fair comparison.
jackson wasn't a DT, he was an end...

steelers43
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Hood has more flexibility to move inside durning sub packages but doesn't have many games playing 34 DE. I believe he played about 3-4 games where they played some 3 man fronts that displayed his ability to do it. He has great movement, even moreso than Jackson imo. Jackson just garnered more publicity as he played for a bigger school.

Both are great players imo but Hood was by far the biggest value, given where he was drafted.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Hood has more flexibility to move inside durning sub packages but doesn't have many games playing 34 DE. I believe he played about 3-4 games where they played some 3 man fronts that displayed his ability to do it. He has great movement, even moreso than Jackson imo. Jackson just garnered more publicity as he played for a bigger school.

Both are great players imo but Hood was by far the biggest value, given where he was drafted.
honestly didn't see much of hood, so i can't make an assessment.

jackson, being a BIG DE, simply made people think 3-4. run-stuffing was his forte. he drew a lot of comparisons to aaron smith by the talking heads. him, i did see and he was the guy i wanted (early in the offseason, he was considered a late 1st, early 2nd rounder). either would have worked for us, but, if Ziggy can play under control and not get upfield, his quickness may be better than Tyson's, based on clips i've seen.

Chadman
04-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Hood better VALUE than Jackson? Quite possibly.

Hood a BETTER PLAYER than Jackson? Probably not.

Jackson was probably the PREMIUM 3-4 DE in the draft. The Chiefs were smart to take DL over LB in their conversion to a 3-4 defence (Note- Chadman kept saying the Chiefs would take DL over LB Curry- although Raji was Chadman's prediction- because Pioli from the Patriots knows the value of DL in a 3-4). He went a little higher than many thought he would- was probably predicted more around the 10th spot.

There was great debate over the 2nd best 3-4 DE- many though Moala, many thought Gilbert. Hood RARELY got discussed. That being said- Hood is a good, solid player. If he turns into a starter, a player that can be counted on & a relied upon, then he's a great pick. But realistically, he went about where everyone thought he would go- late 1st round.

Steelers RARELY miss in the 1st round. Hood looks like a player. He was great value.

But Jackson is the better player.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 01:07 AM

Jackson was probably the PREMIUM 3-4 DE in the draft. The Chiefs were smart to take DL over LB in their conversion to a 3-4 defence (Note- Chadman kept saying the Chiefs would take DL over LB Curry- although Raji was Chadman's prediction- because Pioli from the Patriots knows the value of DL in a 3-4). He went a little higher than many thought he would- was probably predicted more around the 10th spot.

There was great debate over the 2nd best 3-4 DE- many though Moala, many thought Gilbert. Hood RARELY got discussed. That being said- Hood is a good, solid player. If he turns into a starter, a player that can be counted on & a relied upon, then he's a great pick. But realistically, he went about where everyone thought he would go- late 1st round.

Steelers RARELY miss in the 1st round. Hood looks like a player. He was great value.

It is interesting that a guy many thought projected to be a 4-3 DT, Hood, goes to Pittsburgh to play 3-4 DE.

And guys that many thought projected to be 3-4 DE's, Moala and Gilbert, went to teams that run a 4-3 instead (the Colts and Bears, respectively).

Go figure.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 01:29 AM

It is interesting that a guy many thought projected to be a 4-3 DT, Hood, goes to Pittsburgh to play 3-4 DE.

And guys that many thought projected to be 3-4 DE's, Moala and Gilbert, went to teams that run a 4-3 instead (the Colts and Bears, respectively).

Go figure.
i'll admit i was kinda surprised by the pick. hoping, of course, that it works out well.

steelblood
04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Hood runs faster. But, he is more stiff than Jackson who moves better than Hood laterally. Jackson's length is also helpful in disengaging from big Tackles.

SteelCzar76
04-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Hood was a true three technique tackle with poor lower body strength and technique that struggled mightily against the run in college. But on the plus side,.he's very humble, won't make waves, will eventually be a decent starter in a 4-3 scheme and is "Ordinary as a bowl of Grits"! :tt1

Jackson was a run stopping collegiate DE with the size and athleticism to occupy multiple blockers in a 3-4 scheme at the professional level. (Like Moala,..nearly a prototype 5 tech end)

steelers43
04-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Hood runs faster. But, he is more stiff than Jackson who moves better than Hood laterally. Jackson's length is also helpful in disengaging from big Tackles.

I'd disagree that Hood is stiffer than Jackson.

steelcityrules!!
05-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Go figure.
not only that ruthless, but the Dolts took the proto-typical 3-4 NT Terrance Taylor as a 4-3 specific squad in round 5 I think.

he would have been a nice selection to sit behind snack, not sure why he went to the colts apart from value.