PDA

View Full Version : Bright side

Oracle
04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Here are the positives I take from the draft...

1) I believe we will see a drastic improvement in field position this year. That cannot be underestimated. I fully expect some 40 yard KO returns out of Wallace and 20 yards punt returns from Burnett in 2009 (not to mention one or two to the house). That has a snowball effect. Our opponents ST get back on their heels a little. Our ST blockers are able to block a little more effectively. Our offense has more flexibility in play calling. But most of all, at the end of the day, we are a defensive team. If we keep the other team pinned deep consistently we will win most of our games.

2) Our secondary just got a lot better. Burnett and Lewis both appear to be more of the ball-hawk, cover-corner, play-maker type. I think this is a good thing. We have too many DB's on our team who, although they may tackle well, don't have much chance at intercepting the ball unless it's tipped. Tomlin knows this and has set out to change it. Between Gay, Burnett, Lewis (and maybe Ratliffe) we have some guys who can pick off an errant pass and greatly alter a game.

3) Hood is 300 pounds and has a very quick first step. If left one on one in any kind of open space, he should be able to beat a lot of these slower guards or at least draw holding penalties. It also makes him ideal for stunts (which LeBeau loves). He provides a skill set we currently don't have on our roster and that is a legitimate interior pass rushing DE. In the coming years, I believe teams will begin doubling (or at least sliding protection to) Woodley and Harrison much more often which should open up the middle for Hood without having to bring the ILB. Again, pass defense improves.

4) All of our draftees appear to be very good character/locker room guys. The more i watch the nfl the more i realize that almost all of your consistent super bowl contenders have excellent team chemistry top to bottom. They weed out the bad apples and don't tolerate primadona/selfish behavior. Look at how many players on other teams are 'demanding' trades. That can be a huge distraction and that rarely happens on the Steelers because of drafting guys like these.

5) This last one may sound crazy, but hear me out... I believe it's better to have 1 big problem than 4 medium problems. True, our O-line still sucks ass. But we were able to get solid depth for DL, CB, S, WR, and when we lose some of our current players after this year (which we will) we will have their young, fresh, upside-filled replacements ready with a year of experience under their belts.

sd steel
04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree Oracle.

And as far as the field position, we are also getting Sepulveda back which should really help. As for the Oline, they are only going to improve with more time together, and they did just win a Super Bowl. They aren't gonna digress, and chances are we will see alot of improvement.

Good draft in my opinion.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

1) I believe we will see a drastic improvement in field position this year. That cannot be underestimated. I fully expect some 40 yard KO returns out of Wallace and 20 yards punt returns from Burnett in 2009 (not to mention one or two to the house). That has a snowball effect. Our opponents ST get back on their heels a little. Our ST blockers are able to block a little more effectively. Our offense has more flexibility in play calling. But most of all, at the end of the day, we are a defensive team. If we keep the other team pinned deep consistently we will win most of our games.

2) Our secondary just got a lot better. Burnett and Lewis both appear to be more of the ball-hawk, cover-corner, play-maker type. I think this is a good thing. We have too many DB's on our team who, although they may tackle well, don't have much chance at intercepting the ball unless it's tipped. Tomlin knows this and has set out to change it. Between Gay, Burnett, Lewis (and maybe Ratliffe) we have some guys who can pick off an errant pass and greatly alter a game.

3) Hood is 300 pounds and has a very quick first step. If left one on one in any kind of open space, he should be able to beat a lot of these slower guards or at least draw holding penalties. It also makes him ideal for stunts (which LeBeau loves). He provides a skill set we currently don't have on our roster and that is a legitimate interior pass rushing DE. In the coming years, I believe teams will begin doubling (or at least sliding protection to) Woodley and Harrison much more often which should open up the middle for Hood without having to bring the ILB. Again, pass defense improves.

4) All of our draftees appear to be very good character/locker room guys. The more i watch the nfl the more i realize that almost all of your consistent super bowl contenders have excellent team chemistry top to bottom. They weed out the bad apples and don't tolerate primadona/selfish behavior. Look at how many players on other teams are 'demanding' trades. That can be a huge distraction and that rarely happens on the Steelers because of drafting guys like these.

5) This last one may sound crazy, but hear me out... I believe it's better to have 1 big problem than 4 medium problems. True, our O-line still sucks bad word. But we were able to get solid depth for DL, CB, S, WR, and when we lose some of our current players after this year (which we will) we will have their young, fresh, upside-filled replacements ready with a year of experience under their belts.

I like this. Really bad word, I can't wait till September!!!!

jj28west
04-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Nice analysis, #3 at least scheme-wise makes a lot sense.

grotonsteel
04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice Analysis... Oracle

GO STEELERS... :tt2

Snatch98
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Great stuff Oracle. Where do I sign up for the fan club? lol

BURGH86STEEL
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM

5) This last one may sound crazy, but hear me out... I believe it's better to have 1 big problem than 4 medium problems. True, our O-line still sucks bad word. But we were able to get solid depth for DL, CB, S, WR, and when we lose some of our current players after this year (which we will) we will have their young, fresh, upside-filled replacements ready with a year of experience under their belts.

I agree with a lot of what you stated, especially number 5. The smarter organizations try to strengthen other areas when they cannot get quality players at positions of need like our Oline. This has happened the past 2 or 3 drafts. I think we all agree that the Oline play has to improve. The only way that is going to happen is if the current players get better, which is possible or if they are in a position to draft replacements. Unfortunately, they have not been in a position to draft some of the best Olinemen. We will have to go through a few losing seasons for that to happen. I doubt anyone will be thrilled about that.

LouSteel
04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree with a lot of what you stated, especially number 5. The smarter organizations try to strengthen other areas when they cannot get quality players at positions of need like our Oline.

:Agree

When you draft #32, you have to take what you can get. And this year, like last year, there was a run on blue-chip linemen.

The way I see it, we had three options. We could've sold the draft to move up and snag one, while ignoring the rest of our problems. We could've reached in the first for lesser talent, missing out on better players. Or we could draft well -- pick BPA that fills a need, and try to fill the holes later.

IMHO, we did the right thing -- this draft addressed the DL, our need for a return game, and gave us some valuable depth everywhere.

And next year, maybe tackles and centers start falling ;)