PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Lelie Visits the Steelers

SteelBucks
04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't have a link, but I was listening to 1250 online and they said Ashley Lelie was in town today visiting the Steelers. I'd be shocked if he's brought into camp.....he's not exactly a "Steelers" type of guy.

AkronSteel
04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't have a link, but I was listening to 1250 online and they said Ashley Lelie was in town today visiting the Steelers. I'd be shocked if he's brought into camp.....he's not exactly a "Steelers" type of guy.

Hmmmmm......I think someone on here said something earlier today and even last week before the draft that a veteran was needed at the WR position, not sure who it was though???? :D

:stirpot

DukieBoy
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
No thanks.

Mel Blount's G
04-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Competition for our "deep threat" field stretcher. aka Nate's replacement.

Sweed
Wallace
..........udfa's plus some vet like Lelie?

I'm guessing Holmes isn't considered our deep threat field stretcher because he has so many other uses on the field. Could be he's being groomed to replace hines as our possession receiver..?

AngryAsian
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Not even remotely a "Steeler" guy. A couple of seasons back I remember him making a big to-do about playing time and his contract...

No thanks.

SS Laser
04-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Well here ya go guys.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 22571.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_622571.html)

Chadman
04-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Before we crucify him, look at where he's played- Atlanta, 49ers & Oakland have hardly been clubs with solid QB play over the last few years.

If he's on a reasonable contract, at 29, he's worth adding- much like Leftwich was last season. He's a luxury pick.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 01:09 AM
I did like him when he was coming out of Hawaii. June Jones had some glowing things to say about the kid, if I recall correctly. The last few years in the pros, though, have certainly soured him. But, who knows...in the right situation, some guys are able to make a complete rebirth. He just has to be willing to give it a shot under a veteran minimum contract if he wants to play here.

proudpittsburgher
04-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Not even remotely a "Steeler" guy. A couple of seasons back I remember him making a big to-do about playing time and his contract...

No thanks.

Players tend to change their tune when they enter a well-established locker room. Well see, maybe, with lelie. You see clubhouse cancers like Randy Moss go to new england and be pretty quiet, for the most part. Lelie, I believe, played in Denver and Oakland. Oakland is obviously very disfunctional, and Denver was slipping at the time, from a well-run locker room, to what it is now. I wouldn;t be opposed to taking a chance on a well-established receiver as opposed to banking on a draftee, ala sweed last year.

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
no thanks i dont want lelie. i would much rather have mike furrey or ronald curry

phillyesq
04-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Count me among those that say no thanks to Lelie. I'd rather have a true slot guy. With Sweed and Wallace, as well as Santonio, the Steelers have guys that can stretch the field. I want a possession type option underneath.

RussBII
04-28-2009, 09:06 AM
It doesn't hurt to talk to the guy right?

If he comes in, and says all the right things and Tomlin/Colbert/Rooney think he's a fit, then I say do it. However, if there is even .01% of a bad vibe from this cat, don't do it.

I'm willing to trust the Front Office.... 6 rings, dontcha know?

-Russ

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
no thanks i dont want lelie. i would much rather have mike furrey or ronald curry

Curry already signed with Detroit.

stlrz d
04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Count me among those that say no thanks to Lelie. I'd rather have a true slot guy. With Sweed and Wallace, as well as Santonio, the Steelers have guys that can stretch the field. I want a possession type option underneath.

Like Ward or Miller? :P

I said it on draft day...I'm having nice, nice visions of Holmes & Wallace stretching the field, Sweed working an out route and Ward underneath. Or even Miller underneath...or on a seam route.

We're going to see a good amount of 4 WR sets this season and if Sweed and Wallace can contribute it's going to be deadly!

RussBII
04-28-2009, 09:49 AM

I said it on draft day...I'm having nice, nice visions of Holmes & Wallace stretching the field, Sweed working an out route and Ward underneath. Or even Miller underneath...or on a seam route.

We're going to see a good amount of 4 WR sets this season and if Sweed and Wallace can contribute it's going to be deadly!

I see it a little different. Did you notice how easily Limas gets deep into a secondary? So Limas and Heath head deep. Hines and Tone cross on short slants.... You've got some blocking down field, maybe a natural pick if done rigth and bada-bing.

stlrz d
04-28-2009, 10:07 AM

I see it a little different. Did you notice how easily Limas gets deep into a secondary? So Limas and Heath head deep. Hines and Tone cross on short slants.... You've got some blocking down field, maybe a natural pick if done rigth and bada-bing.

With Nate gone I think Sweed will draw a better corner to cover him. When he was blowing by the rats he was beating guys who will be on the bench if their starters (and top back ups) are healthy. Not to take anything away from Sweed, but he's now going to be facing better CBs. But he should have a nice advantage with his height.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
1 year...Vet min...Why wouldn't we? Insurance incase Sweed needs another year. Also will push Sweed, Nance, & Wallace. Lelie is at a point in his career where he needs to either fix his image or leave the league. Not a bad time to get a guy with that much talent. We could use a vet at WR & S and maybe an OL that is looking for a job. It is "post draft" FA and the bargains are coming. There will be teams releasing players of value who the Steelers could sign reasonably cheap. I wouldn't be against bringing a vet in at/or near min at WR, S, & OL. There are names being thrown around being on their way out. Levis Jones, Michael Huff, Edge James, etc. Value at the right price if the Steelers can make needed players fit (Not James of course). I got 4 WRs penciled in as roster spots(Holmes, Ward, Sweed, & Wallace). At least one open. I got only 2 S penciled in for roster spots(Polamalu & Clark). Mundy & Carter most likely make the team because of lack of depth. Bring someone in to push them. It looks like 8 OL penciled in for roster spots(Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Stapleton, Colon, Hills, Essex, & Urbik). Parquet, Legursky, Capizzi, Shipley, & Foster will be fighting it out for the last 1-2 spots. Always room for improvement in my opinion.

feltdizz
04-28-2009, 12:16 PM

I know people hate Arians but I think any WR with decent speed can get open deep in our offense. Arians is good at baiting DB's...

feltdizz
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
With Nate gone I think Sweed will draw a better corner to cover him. When he was blowing by the rats he was beating guys who will be on the bench if their starters (and top back ups) are healthy. Not to take anything away from Sweed, but he's now going to be facing better CBs. But he should have a nice advantage with his height.

Regardless Sweed will draw the 3rd best CB on a team.. and he should be able to beat the #3 CB on most teams. He just has to catch the ball.

ikestops85
04-28-2009, 12:42 PM
1 year...Vet min...Why wouldn't we? Insurance incase Sweed needs another year. Also will push Sweed, Nance, & Wallace. Lelie is at a point in his career where he needs to either fix his image or leave the league. Not a bad time to get a guy with that much talent. We could use a vet at WR & S and maybe an OL that is looking for a job. It is "post draft" FA and the bargains are coming. There will be teams releasing players of value who the Steelers could sign reasonably cheap. I wouldn't be against bringing a vet in at/or near min at WR, S, & OL. There are names being thrown around being on their way out. Levis Jones, Michael Huff, Edge James, etc. Value at the right price if the Steelers can make needed players fit (Not James of course). I got 4 WRs penciled in as roster spots(Holmes, Ward, Sweed, & Wallace). At least one open. I got only 2 S penciled in for roster spots(Polamalu & Clark). Mundy & Carter most likely make the team because of lack of depth. Bring someone in to push them. It looks like 8 OL penciled in for roster spots(Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Stapleton, Colon, Hills, Essex, & Urbik). Parquet, Legursky, Capizzi, Shipley, & Foster will be fighting it out for the last 1-2 spots. Always room for improvement in my opinion.

I agree. If he's over his injuries he is a talented receiver. As far as keeping him in line we have just extended 2 players who can do that. Silverback and Hines. The only difference between the 2 is that Hines would be smiling as he bitch slaps you for getting out of line. I don't think Harrison ever smiles. :D

Iron Shiek
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Dang...I missed that. I was still holding out hope for him...oh well. Lets see what Lelie can do with his visit...

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't think Harrison ever smiles. :D

Only when he is signing 50+ million contracts:

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2009/04/14/12/09_HarrisonJames_Signing_dh_062_104609.jpg

Or holding the Lombardi Trophy during a victory parade:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07L44gjfL0bnV/520x.jpg

And likely when he sees these, just like the rest of us:

:Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

That's about it, though.

steelernation77
04-28-2009, 01:59 PM
I compare this to the Kevan Barlow signing. If he does something, great, but don't count on it. I would not be surprised if he's cut in camp.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I know people hate Arians but I think any WR with decent speed can get open deep in our offense. Arians is good at baiting DB's...

Arians is totally a master baiter....

True Fan
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Zeirlein is totally a master baiter....

Fixed that for you. :wink:

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Dang...I missed that. I was still holding out hope for him...oh well. Lets see what Lelie can do with his visit...

that sucks, i did not know that

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

What has Lelie proven? Besides that he can't hold onto a job?

BradshawsHairdresser
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM

What has Lelie proven? Besides that he can't hold onto a job?

Exactly. Why would the Steelers want this prima donna?

If the Steelers sign him, it tells me they aren't all that high on either Sweed or Wallace.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 05:26 PM

If the Steelers sign him, it tells me they aren't all that high on either Sweed or Wallace.

I disagree...but, if the Steelers keep him, it tells me that they aren't all that high on Sweed or Wallace...

I like the Kevan Barlow comparison...it is likely the most accurate...

jj28west
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
[quote=phillyesq]Count me among those that say no thanks to Lelie. I'd rather have a true slot guy. With Sweed and Wallace, as well as Santonio, the Steelers have guys that can stretch the field. I want a possession type option underneath.

With Nate gone I think Sweed will draw a better corner to cover him. When he was blowing by the rats he was beating guys who will be on the bench if their starters (and top back ups) are healthy. Not to take anything away from Sweed, but he's now going to be facing better CBs. But he should have a nice advantage with his height.[/quote:2y4j2lvg]

Excellent Point... I can't remember the laser strike that he dropped from Leftwich but definatly the bomb against Baltimore is where he had a backup covering him that he blew by or double moved on.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I think too many of you are thinking "in a perfect world" scenario. Last year our #3 was a seasoned vet...Backed up by a rookie. This year we are looking at our #3 being a 2nd year player who really didn't see the field his rookie year...Backed up by a rookie or a 2008 PS player. One injury we have a 2nd year player starting with a rookie or 2008 PS player as a #3. I really don't see how signing a vet has anything to do with confidence in Sweed, Wallace, Nance, etc. If I'm the coach I would want another vet in here for insurance. You never know what the season brings and having the vet here in camp to learn the offense and develop chemistry with the QB is the smart thing to do. If Sweed shines and Wallace can contribute immediately just slide the vet down the depth chart. Can't risk an injury happening and trying to bring a vet in mid season. The risk/reward is off the charts. You can honestly say you would be comfortable with say Holmes & Sweed starting a game because Ward needs a game off. Wallace or Nance is your #3. Holmes pulls a hammy and you got Sweed & Wallace on the field with Nance as your #3. Someone is running the wrong route and getting Ben picked if that happens. Even worse...Doesn't see the hot route and makes Ben take one on the chin. This team is too close to the top to leave the season to chance on their young receivers. I think Sweed will be just fine and really come on strong by mid season but having a vet here to push him and make him work harder would be the right decision in my opinion. If he isn't ready...At least you have a vet to fall back on. Without a vet you got ________. Fill in the blank!

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 06:05 PM

I disagree...but, if the Steelers keep him, it tells me that they aren't all that high on Sweed or Wallace...

i agree bringing in a vet says nothing in regards to what the coaching staff thinks of sweed and wallace. if they kept him for more than a year or so thats another story. if anything it would be good competition for sweed and wallace

True Fan
04-28-2009, 08:29 PM

i agree bringing in a vet says nothing in regards to what the coaching staff thinks of sweed and wallace. if they kept him for more than a year or so thats another story. if anything it would be good competition for sweed and wallace

i would prefer a 2 year deal for lelie. after two years hines may be gone and it would have wallace going into his 3rd year(if he makes it)

BradshawsHairdresser
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Well said.

steelcityrules!!
04-29-2009, 10:08 PM

first off, lelie has dropped PLENTY of footballs, and has been the classic underachiever in the league. I know from multiple cursed seasons drafting this dude in fantasy land.

And what does that mean really, sweed has PROVEN he can't catch a ball?
you mean as a rook in the playoffs, barely seeing the field all season?

right after his big "drop", he steps up and crushes a DB just like hines taught him, and then catches a critical 3rd down pass I believe for roughly 14 yards.

and we need to make up for ignoring the O-line again?
a top ranked guard and award winning center drafted this year.

If you are going to whine and moan, at least get SOMETHING correct, like we completely ignored depth at safety, or should have signed starks to a solid deal instead of tagging him twice.

true fan...

true hater more like it
:Blah

isonator07
04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Where is Willie Reid? Is he on a roster anywhere?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Where is Willie Reid? Is he on a roster anywhere?

He was cut in training camp last year. The Eagles signed him to their practice squad, but he ended up on I.R. again halfway through the season. Right now, he's a street free agent.

frankthetank1
04-30-2009, 07:18 AM

i would prefer a 2 year deal for lelie. after two years hines may be gone and it would have wallace going into his 3rd year(if he makes it)

i wouldnt mind giving lelie a 2 year deal if he had proved anything in his career but he hasnt. if they give him a 2 year deal right off the bat and he is a disaster this season then the steelers are stuck

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM

i wouldnt mind giving lelie a 2 year deal if he had proved anything in his career but he hasnt. if they give him a 2 year deal right off the bat and he is a disaster this season then the steelers are stuck

Not if the signing bonus is small. When you cut a guy, the salary you agreed upon in his contract no longer counts against your cap...only the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus does. If the signing bonus is small, the dead money would be minimal in such an instance.

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
[quote="True Fan":2ohktr2h]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

first off, lelie has dropped PLENTY of footballs, and has been the classic underachiever in the league. I know from multiple cursed seasons drafting this dude in fantasy land.

right after his big "drop", he steps up and crushes a DB just like hines taught him, and then catches a critical 3rd down pass I believe for roughly 14 yards.

If you are going to whine and moan, at least get SOMETHING correct, like we completely ignored depth at safety, or should have signed starks to a solid deal instead of tagging him twice.

true fan...

true hater more like it
:Blah[/quote:2ohktr2h]

:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said. Some people are only happy when they aren't happy. Always seeing a glass half empty must TRUEly be a depressing way to be a FAN.

True Fan
04-30-2009, 09:50 AM
[quote="True Fan":38wmix0e]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it

:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said. Some people are only happy when they aren't happy. Always seeing a glass half empty must TRUEly be a depressing way to be a FAN.[/quote:38wmix0e]

well, some fans are realistic about their team and others are naive.

Northern_Blitz
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
[quote="True Fan":2edrhhgx]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it
:Blah[/quote:2edrhhgx]

NFL fans are funny.

On one hand, we have people calling for a 7th rounder to start by the end of the season, if not on day one. On the other hand last year's second rounder is thrown under the bus for making a mistake.

BTW, this is a second rounder that last year we said should have been a first rounder. A guy we absolutely could not pass up. Now we don't think he can handle playing like 20% of the snaps? We can't tell if they kid can play without playing him.

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":14325yx6][quote="True Fan":14325yx6]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it

:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said. Some people are only happy when they aren't happy. Always seeing a glass half empty must TRUEly be a depressing way to be a FAN.[/quote:14325yx6]

well, some fans are realistic about their team and others are naive.[/quote:14325yx6]

Realistic is seeing things as they are not based on what might go wrong. I'm sure you were among all those who "realistically" thought the OL was terrible and were going to get Ben killed last year and "realistically" thought Arians was a terrible OC. The "realistic" result was a Super Bowl Championship but I guess "realistically" you would see that as luck or an accident.

steelblood
04-30-2009, 10:24 AM
We should add a vet to the Wide receivers. We have enough young, developing WRs. We need a reliable option in case hines and/or santonio goes down with an injury. We will carry 5 WRs on the 53 man rosters. we currently have 4 legitimate guys NFL talents in Holmes, Wallace, Hines, and Sweed. I don't believe in Baker or Nance.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 10:26 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":31xtpdmb][quote="True Fan":31xtpdmb]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it
:Blah[/quote:31xtpdmb]

NFL fans are funny.

On one hand, we have people calling for a 7th rounder to start by the end of the season, if not on day one. On the other hand last year's second rounder is thrown under the bus for making a mistake.

BTW, this is a second rounder that last year we said should have been a first rounder. A guy we absolutely could not pass up. Now we don't think he can handle playing like 20% of the snaps? We can't tell if they kid can play without playing him.[/quote:31xtpdmb]

I predict that Sweed with be just fine as our 3rd WR. Last year, Nate had 40 catches for 631 yards (15.8 average) and 3 TD's. I wouldn't be surprised with a similar performance by Limas.

I think Shipley could challenge for a roster spot, but I doubt that he ever dresses at all during his rookie season. Hartwig will be the starting center, and if he gets hurt, Stapleton would be their second option there. Shipley is a developmental prospect who may compete with Stapleton for the center gig in 2010 if we do not re-sign Hartwig, whose contract is up after this season.

Oviedo
04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
We should add a vet to the Wide receivers. We have enough young, developing WRs. We need a reliable option in case hines and/or santonio goes down with an injury. We will carry 5 WRs on the 53 man rosters. we currently have 4 legitimate guys NFL talents in Holmes, Wallace, Hines, and Sweed. I don't believe in Baker or Nance.

Baker offers nothing. Nanace is just getting a paycheck as a fvor from his college roommate. I don't think Wallace will be a factor this season and bringing in a vet for a look would make sense. The problem is that a vet who still has the skills that would contribute won't be cheap and that is why I don't see it happening unless it was someone who wanted one last shot at the Super Bowl.

I'd still like to see them consider Mike Furrey.

ikestops85
04-30-2009, 10:33 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":1e1wukir][quote="True Fan":1e1wukir]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it
:Blah[/quote:1e1wukir]

NFL fans are funny.

BTW, this is a second rounder that last year we said should have been a first rounder. A guy we absolutely could not pass up. Now we don't think he can handle playing like 20% of the snaps? We can't tell if they kid can play without playing him.[/quote:1e1wukir]

I must disagree with you on the 2nd rounder. He is not being thrown under the bus for making a mistake. He started dropping passes when he was wide open in the preseason and that trend continued into the regular season culminating with the drop in the Championship game. He then magnifies that mistake by faking an injury which ultimately cost us 3 points in a tight game. So, he's made many mistakes ... not just one. The one that bothers me the most is faking the injury. That just shows a lack of mental toughness in my book.

I personally haven't written off Sweed but I certainly could see how some have. Hopefully those people will be proven wrong but you have to admit he didn't get off to a good start and throwing one block and making a key 3rd down catch doesn't change that.

frankthetank1
04-30-2009, 11:28 AM
when you cut a guy the money no longer counts against the cap immediately? doesnt it depend on when the guy is cut? i admit im not all that knowledgable when it comes to contracts, salary cap etc.. well in that case a 2 year deal would be fine although im sure the fo is depending on or expecting sweed to develop especially after the next season is over

papillon
04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":ybfevlf2][quote="True Fan":ybfevlf2]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it

NFL fans are funny.

BTW, this is a second rounder that last year we said should have been a first rounder. A guy we absolutely could not pass up. Now we don't think he can handle playing like 20% of the snaps? We can't tell if they kid can play without playing him.[/quote:ybfevlf2]

I predict that Sweed with be just fine as our 3rd WR. Last year, Nate had 40 catches for 631 yards (15.8 average) and 3 TD's. I wouldn't be surprised with a similar performance by Limas.

I think Shipley could challenge for a roster spot, but I doubt that he ever dresses at all during his rookie season. Hartwig will be the starting center, and if he gets hurt, Stapleton would be their second option there. Shipley is a developmental prospect who may compete with Stapleton for the center gig in 2010 if we do not re-sign Hartwig, whose contract is up after this season.[/quote:ybfevlf2]

Shipley can long snap. Would it be worth keeping him as the long snapper and by default not expose him to the PS? Then when he does take over as the center :tt2 in 2010 the Steelers will have an extra roster spot, because, there will be no need for a long snapper.

Just sayin...

Pappy

steelcityrules!!
04-30-2009, 08:40 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":1wuqta7l][quote="True Fan":1wuqta7l]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it

:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said. Some people are only happy when they aren't happy. Always seeing a glass half empty must TRUEly be a depressing way to be a FAN.[/quote:1wuqta7l]

well, some fans are realistic about their team and others are naive.[/quote:1wuqta7l]

I would agree completely.
saying ashley lelie is going to be a great pickup is being very naive. I believe my comment about him being the classic underachiever is spot on, and absolutely true.

he hasn't broken 500 yards in a season since 2005.

saying we ignored the o-line again isn't naive, it's outright ignorant.
we just drafted two offensive linemen 4 days ago. thats about 1/4 of our entire draft.

Sweed was a rookie, in arguably the most difficult position to transition to in the NFL as a rookie, and had 3 entrenched starters in front of him.
I won't say he's our savior, but saying he's proven he's incapable of catching the ball is just plain hating.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2009, 10:08 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":1vhk4mnb][quote="True Fan":1vhk4mnb]lelie would be a great signing. sweed has proven he cant catch a ball and you cant count on a third rounder to come in and do anything. we need more weapons to make up for ignoring the oline again this year.

true fan...

true hater more like it

NFL fans are funny.

BTW, this is a second rounder that last year we said should have been a first rounder. A guy we absolutely could not pass up. Now we don't think he can handle playing like 20% of the snaps? We can't tell if they kid can play without playing him.

I think Shipley could challenge for a roster spot, but I doubt that he ever dresses at all during his rookie season. Hartwig will be the starting center, and if he gets hurt, Stapleton would be their second option there. Shipley is a developmental prospect who may compete with Stapleton for the center gig in 2010 if we do not re-sign Hartwig, whose contract is up after this season.[/quote:1vhk4mnb]

Shipley can long snap. Would it be worth keeping him as the long snapper and by default not expose him to the PS? Then when he does take over as the center :tt2 in 2010 the Steelers will have an extra roster spot, because, there will be no need for a long snapper.

Just sayin...

Pappy[/quote:1vhk4mnb]

Just because he says he can long-snap does not mean that he is as steady as a Greg Warren. All it takes is one snap over Sepulveda's head, or a snap that bounces on its way to Batch the holder, forcing Reed to abort a FG attempt, and we will be cursing the kid out. If JoePa wasn't using Shipley as the full-time long snapper at PSU, I don't foresee Tomlin using Shipley as the full-time long snapper here either. He may be a better back-up LS option than James Harrison if something happens to our regular long-snapper in a game, but I don't think we will be saving a roster spot there anytime soon.