PDA

View Full Version : Who makes it and who doesn't...

papillon
04-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Okay, for the most part I think that Steeler fans are happy with this draft, except Debbie Downer (MJG) and Negative Nancy (Lonbull). :moon :tt2

So, here is our draft:

Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT
Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE

9 picks, I doubt they all make the team. Who makes it and why.

Hood - 1st round selection, he's in
Urbik - Will compete with Stapleton for starting job, he's in
Wallace - Lost Nate to FA and need depth and he can return kicks, he's in
Lewis - Lost Mcfadden to FA, Deshea is getting on in years, he's in for depth can potentially play safety
Burnett - No punt returner on the team, he's in
Summers - No power back currently, he'll compete for the job, he's in
Harris - I can't see a place for him, maybe the PS to develop, but not on the roster
Shipley - He'll push Hartwig this year and certainly take over next, he's in
Johnson - Unless the Spaeth experiment is over, he's on the outside looking in

Is possible that 7 of the draft picks make the team and that potentially 4 of them contribute in their first year?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT
Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE

That is an excellent mock draft. :wink:

papillon
04-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT
Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE

That is an excellent mock draft. :wink:

Just play along with the game and don't be a wise apple. :moon :P

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Okay, for the most part I think that Steeler fans are happy with this draft, except Debbie Downer (MJG) and Negative Nancy (Lonbull). :moon :tt2

So, here is our draft:

Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT
Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE

Lewis - Lost Mcfadden to FA, Deshea is getting on in years, he's in for depth can potentially play safety
Harris - I can't see a place for him, maybe the PS to develop, but not on the roster

Is possible that 7 of the draft picks make the team and that potentially 4 of them contribute in their first year?

Pappy

I think Burnett, Harris, Shipley, and Johnson will be PS players this year.

papillon
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM

So, here is our draft:

Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT
Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE

Pappy

How does the PS work? If you put a player on the PS he can be signed by anouther team, correct? I don't see them exposing Shipley or Burnett. Someone has to return punts.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Pappy[/quote]

I think Burnett, Harris, Shipley, and Johnson will be PS players this year.[/quote]

How does the PS work? If you put a player on the PS he can be signed by anouther team, correct? I don't see them exposing Shipley or Burnett. Someone has to return punts.

Pappy[/quote]

Teams can pick players off the PS. If Shipley shows the ability to play guard, he might stick to the roster. I don't think he unseats Hartwig for the job at center. I think Stapleton will be the choice because he can play guard or center.

Unless Burnett is lights out as a returner, I think they will look for other players to do that job and provide quality depth at a position. With the potential for injuries, it will be hard to justify keeping a player just to return punts. Injuries bit them last year with a few players. That's one reason why they had Russel returning kicks. Unless you are a solid starter, it appears Tomlin likes players that can play more than one position if needed. Not sure if Burnett or Shipley are ready yet. If people were sold on those guys, they would of gone earlier in the draft. That's not to say the Steelers would lose them if they go to the PS. They make tough decisions on players every year. Sometimes they lose the player and sometimes they do not.

It one reason I think the league should expand the rosters a few players. They will probably have to if they extend the season by two games.

papillon
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Pappy

I think Burnett, Harris, Shipley, and Johnson will be PS players this year.[/quote]

Pappy[/quote]

Teams can pick players off the PS. If Shipley shows the ability to play guard, he might stick to the roster. I don't think he unseats Hartwig for the job at center. I think Stapleton will be the choice because he can play guard or center.

Unless Burnett is lights out as a returner, I think they will look for other players to do that job and provide quality depth at a position. With the potential for injuries, it will be hard to justify keeping a player just to return punts. Injuries bit them last year with a few players. That's one reason why they had Russel returning kicks. Unless you are a solid starter, it appears Tomlin likes players that can play more than one position if needed. Not sure if Burnett or Shipley are ready yet. If people were sold on those guys, they would of gone earlier in the draft. That's not to say the Steelers would lose them if they go to the PS. They make tough decisions on players every year. Sometimes they lose the player and sometimes they do not.

It one reason I think the league should expand the rosters a few players. They will probably have to if they extend the season by two games.[/quote]

Hartwig is the last year of his contract and was the lowest rated starting center last year in the NFL. I can't see him being around after this year. I just don't see taking the chance with Shipley and putting him on the PS. We'll see soon enough.

Pappy

True Fan
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
let's see here. all the steeler 'fans' that absolutely love this draft have stated how all of the picks were fabulous and will be huge contributors, either right away or next year, must mean that they will all make the roster. throw in 2-3 UDFA that will make the final roster(because the steelers are great at finding talent then) and dont forget our super FA siginings and it looks as tho we will have 13 or 14 new steelers this year. but wait, we only lost a few players from last year. how is this gonna work? we are the superbowl champs which means there are only a few spots even available, but yet all our draft picks were great and we will also add those UDFAs and FAs. with the departure of mcfadden, lefty, russell and who else?, it looks as tho the steelers will have to cut 8-11 veteran players.

Lebsteel
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Pappy, I agree with all your "in" selections. I agree with you concerning Shipley. I think he will be our future center. The only question I have in your picks may be Burnett, but I think he is in if he demonstrates he can be a good dime back AND return punts.

papillon
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Pappy, I agree with all your "in" selections. I agree with you concerning Shipley. I think he will be our future center. The only question I have in your picks may be Burnett, but I think he is in if he demonstrates he can be a good dime back AND return punts.

The only problem is that I'm not sure there's 7 roster spots available or if there will be. My guess is that some good players will be released by the Steelers and end up with other teams.

I wondered as I watched the draft unfold why the Steelers didn't package some picks and try to move up rather than down into the third round. I understand there was good value there, but, there probably won't be enough room on the roster for 7 new players, if it unfolds that way.

Pappy

papillon
04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
let's see here. all the steeler 'fans' that absolutely love this draft have stated how all of the picks were fabulous and will be huge contributors, either right away or next year, must mean that they will all make the roster. throw in 2-3 UDFA that will make the final roster(because the steelers are great at finding talent then) and dont forget our super FA siginings and it looks as tho we will have 13 or 14 new steelers this year. but wait, we only lost a few players from last year. how is this gonna work? we are the superbowl champs which means there are only a few spots even available, but yet all our draft picks were great and we will also add those UDFAs and FAs. with the departure of mcfadden, lefty, russell and who else?, it looks as tho the steelers will have to cut 8-11 veteran players.

And, that's precisely why I started the thread to see what everyone thinks will happen with this draft class. How many stick and who? How many get cut and who? Practice squad? Any vets getting released to make room for younger players? Eason? Kirschke? Gay? Townsend? Baker? Davis?

It's easy to be critical jump in and take a stab at it.

Pappy

Oviedo
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM

So, here is our draft:

Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT
Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE

Pappy

Pappy

I agree. I can't see either Shipley or Burnett placed at risk on the practice squad.

Oviedo
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM

And, that's precisely why I started the thread to see what everyone thinks will happen with this draft class. How many stick and who? How many get cut and who? Practice squad? Any vets getting released to make room for younger players? Eason? Kirschke? Gay? Townsend? Baker? Davis?

It's easy to be critical jump in and take a stab at it.

Pappy

My opinion of vets at risk:

Tyrone Carter-gone
Anthony Madison-likely gone
Dallas Baker-PS or gone
Eason-likely gone
Capizzi-likely gone
Parquet-likely gone
Davis-likely gone

That pretty much gives you the roster spaces for Hood, Shipley, Urbik, Summers and Wallace. I think there will be a battle royale between Burnett, K. Lewis, Roy Lewis and Ryan Mundy for two or three positions.

Burnett's ability to return kicks gives him the inside edge.

AkronSteel
04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Alright I will give it a shot!!

Hood - obvious that this guy makes the final roster but I don't think Eason or Kirschke will be let go, Hood will replace Roye on the active roster.

Urbik - this guy will make the team and provide quality depth and eventually will become the starter at RG, maybe even this year but who knows??

Wallace - will be the 4th or 5th receiver and return kicks.

Lewis - he is in the competition at CB and will probably make the team because of his draft position.

Burnett - will be one of the 9 DB's to make the squad, not sure exactly how this will break down yet, because the team may move Townsend into a backup FS position and the nickel and dime back spot, and only keep 3 safeties.

Summers - will take over for Davis at FB and will be the short yardage back. I envision a goal line package of Summers at tailback and McHugh at fullback.

Harris - will not make the final 53 unless he shows a great deal in TC and preseason. I see this guy moving to the PS and maybe competing for a backup roll in 2010.

Shipley - this one is hard to call but I don't think he will make the final 53. Stapleton will be the backup at C, and the team will try to place Shipley on the PS.

Johnson - I don't see this guy making the team unless he shows he is better at FB than McHugh, I think this guy is TC fodder and will never be heard from again after August.

papillon
04-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Hood - obvious that this guy makes the final roster but I don't think Eason or Kirschke will be let go, Hood will replace Roye on the active roster.

Urbik - this guy will make the team and provide quality depth and eventually will become the starter at RG, maybe even this year but who knows??

Lewis - he is in the competition at CB and will probably make the team because of his draft position.

Burnett - will be one of the 9 DB's to make the squad, not sure exactly how this will break down yet, because the team may move Townsend into a backup FS position and the nickel and dime back spot, and only keep 3 safeties.

Summers - will take over for Davis at FB and will be the short yardage back. I envision a goal line package of Summers at tailback and McHugh at fullback.

Harris - will not make the final 53 unless he shows a great deal in TC and preseason. I see this guy moving to the PS and maybe competing for a backup roll in 2010.

Shipley - this one is hard to call but I don't think he will make the final 53. Stapleton will be the backup at C, and the team will try to place Shipley on the PS.

Johnson - I don't see this guy making the team unless he shows he is better at FB than McHugh, I think this guy is TC fodder and will never be heard from again after August.

See, now that's what I"m talking about. Be a GM and/or coach and figure it out. We have 3 months to training camp.

Pappy

steelers43
04-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT - Makes the roster and competes with Keisel to start by mid season. Great pick.
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT - Makes the roster. Competes to start at guard or rt tackle.
Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR - Makes the roster and is our best rookie impact.
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB - Makes the roster as a backup corner and safety, possibly signifying the end of sawed off as Mundy has a chance also.
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB - Makes the roster as a special team gunner and return man.
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB - Makes the roster and competes for the FB position as well as RB depth, thus signifying the end of Davis.
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT - Practice squad for a year. If they can coach him up, he's a steal.
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C - Makes the roster and pushes Hartwig. Likely inactive if not starting as he's only a center.
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE - Competes for a backup TE and backup FB position. With us against the cap, he may save money and a roster position. Big camp for Matt. Personally, I think he performs and keeps a roster spot.

papillon
04-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT - Makes the roster and competes with Keisel to start by mid season. Great pick.
Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT - Makes the roster. Competes to start at guard or rt tackle.
Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB - Makes the roster as a backup corner and safety, possibly signifying the end of sawed off as Mundy has a chance also.
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB - Makes the roster as a special team gunner and return man.
Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB - Makes the roster and competes for the FB position as well as RB depth, thus signifying the end of Davis.
Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT - Practice squad for a year. If they can coach him up, he's a steal.
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C - Makes the roster and pushes Hartwig. Likely inactive if not starting as he's only a center.
Rd 7 Johnson, David TE - Competes for a backup TE and backup FB position. With us against the cap, he may save money and a roster position. Big camp for Matt. Personally, I think he performs and keeps a roster spot.

Well, I had 7 making it and it appears you may have 8 making the roster. We will have to release some vets then. Who goes? Who stays?

Pappy

steelers43
04-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Well, I had 7 making it and it appears you may have 8 making the roster. We will have to release some vets then. Who goes? Who stays?

Pappy

Carey Davis,
Travis Kirshke,
Darnell Stapleton,
Justin Hartwig,
Anthony Madison,
Fernando Bryant,
Nick Eason,

All are possible cuts imo. Let them mix it up and keep the best. We also have to cut some salary so that may come into play in keeping a rookie.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-27-2009, 07:02 PM

See, now that's what I"m talking about. Be a GM and/or coach and figure it out. We have 3 months to training camp.

Pappy

And, 9 months until Superbowl Ring #7!

papillon
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Pappy

Carey Davis,
Travis Kirshke,
Darnell Stapleton,
Justin Hartwig,
Anthony Madison,
Fernando Bryant,
Nick Eason,

All are possible cuts imo. Let them mix it up and keep the best. We also have to cut some salary so that may come into play in keeping a rookie.

Possibles, yes, likely, not Stapleton or Hartwig, unless they're willing to eat this year's cap hit. I'm not sure what Hartwig's is currently, but, I'd let him play out the contract this year. Stapleton will be valuable as a center/OG backup, so, he has the versatility that Tomlin likes.

The rest could be camp casualties for sure.

Pappy

Chadman
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT- He'll obviously make the roster. Big chance to be used in the rotation. With the Steelers up against the cap, it could be at the expense of Kirschke. eason steps in as #1 back-up with Hood in the mix.

Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT- There's some chance he'll push for PT with Stapleton. With such a lack of depth at IOL, he's a certainty to make the team.

Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR- Steelers have said all along that Sweed will be asked to compete for #3 with either a FA or a draft choice. Well, here's the draft choice. He's in. Kick returner too. Say goodbye to Nance.

Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB- Lewis is McFadden's replacement. The FO has already said they like him physically opposite Ike, so they obviously want him around. He's in. Fernando Bryant will likely be cut to make room.

Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB- The FO has already said he's in the mix for nickle & dime. Is a Punt Returner of note. He just cost Anthony Madison his million dollar contract.

Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB- Everyone loves Summers, but Chadman is just a little concerned. He'll have to beat out Carey Davis for a roster spot- not a guarentee given Tomlin's like for Davis. If he's in shape & in form in camp- Davis will be gone, McHugh will be FB/3rd TE.

Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT- The most likely guy to fall to the PS, unless the Steelers go with 1 or 2 less LB's from last season.

Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C- Steelers showed too much interest in Shipley for them to risk him on PS. That being said, if his short arms are an issue- he might not make it out of camp. If he can show the FO a bit of toughness, he makes the roster. Capizzi gone?

Rd 7 Johnson, David TE- Another PS likely player. His roster spot is the hardest to award because has to beat out 5th round pick Summers & FB Carey Davis to stick.

Remember- the Steelers are tight against the cap. There could be a few surprise releases made to fit these cheaper players in- Kirschke, Madison, Davis are in trouble. Arnold Harrison & Andre Frasier could be expendable. Fernando Bryant is a dead-man walking. Ty Carter is interesting because of the lack of depth at safety. If Townsend is an option there, he's gone. Otherwise, it's VERY unlikely the Steelers would go with Mundy as the #1 back-up. 2 names that might shock/surprise/upset a few fans if they are considered to be cut are Larry Foote & Willie Parker. Unlikely BOTH would go- but releasing one certainly free's up some cap room...

papillon
04-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Quite a few of us believing that at least 7 of 9 picks make the team. That would be impressive draft work if that were to be the case.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Pap, the biggest question is who do they displace on the roster... we'd like to say they'd make it, but, i'll approach it from that perspective. At a minimum, I'll say who the battle will be with.

Rd 1 Hood, Evander DT - Orpheus Roye. Ziggy wins.. no brainer.

Rd 3 Urbik, Kraig OT - likely Marvel's spot (by head-count)

Rd 3 Wallace, Mike WR - likely Nate's spot (by head count)

Rd 3 Lewis, Keenan CB - Should make the squad, but, keep in mind both CBs may not. Ratliff was signed. They'll battle one another.

Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB - this is likely a head-to head with Ratliff, who also returns. If Wallace shows he can be the guy, Burnett vs Ratliff could be interesting in camp. Both rookie CBs better show their butts on special teams - there are some young guys that held on that they'll need to displace.

Rd 5 Summers, Frank RB - they love this guy so much, he's gonna hold a spot for sure. Mendy, Parker, Mewelde are guarantees. Summers vs Davis will be an interesting camp battle. May come down to how well Summers can block - or how well Mendy can do in short yardage

Rd 6 Harris, Ra'Shon DT - I'm thinking PS, but, who knows. Eason, Hoke and Kirsckhe... 1 of them is likely gone with Ziggy... are they ballsy enough to cut another one of those 3. Sunny would have to show REALLY bright in camp to keep a spot on the 53-man roster.

Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C - might battle legursky for a spot. might go to PS - depending on his camp performance

Rd 7 Johnson, David TE - didn't like the pick; not even sure he lands on the PS. That's why I had hoped for one of the guys who was projected earlier that fell...

> 90% chance - Hood, Ubrick, Wallace.
> 50% chance - Lewis, Summers, Shipley
< 50% chance (probable PS guys) - Burnett, Harris
Doubtful - Johnson

I also think there's a chance some of the UDFAs come in and steal a spot - at a minimum, make the PS. Ramon Foster comes to mind. I have a hunch Derrick Richardson will make the team as a special teamer, displacing one of the vet special teamers...

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Rd 7 Shipley, A.Q. C- Steelers showed too much interest in Shipley for them to risk him on PS. That being said, if his short arms are an issue- he might not make it out of camp. If he can show the FO a bit of toughness, he makes the roster. Capizzi gone?

Shipley making the roster or not should not impact Capizzi, since one is a center and the other is a tackle. If Shipley emerges, however, Doug Legursky could pack his bags. Capizzi could be pushed out by UDFA Ramon Foster, though. At least one UDFA always seems to make the team every year.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Rd 5 Burnett, Joe CB - this is likely a head-to head with Ratliff, who also returns. If Wallace shows he can be the guy, Burnett vs Ratliff could be interesting in camp. Both rookie CBs better show their butts on special teams - there are some young guys that held on that they'll need to displace.

You mention Wallace in your discussion of Burnett because they both have returnability.

However, Wallace's straight-line speed lends itself to kick return duty.

Burnett's agility and quickness lends itself to punt return duty.

Our best best is for Wallace to show he can handle the 4th WR role behind Hines/Santonio/Sweed (beating out Baker and Nance), allowing him to be our primary kick returner on game day, and for Burnett to show that he can handle a dime CB role behind Ike/Gay/Deshea (even if we have to deactivate the more heralded CB prospect Lewis on gameday), allowing him to be our primary punt returner on game day.

Imagine if our punt and kick return games improve significantly this season (as they should be), and Sepulveda is leaps-and-bounds better than Berger (as he should be)...the substantial difference in starting field position when we take the field on offense or defense should be a big-time advantage. Hidden yards, baby...hidden yards.

Chadman
04-28-2009, 12:50 AM

Shipley making the roster or not should not impact Capizzi, since one is a center and the other is a tackle. If Shipley emerges, however, Doug Legursky could pack his bags. Capizzi could be pushed out by UDFA Ramon Foster, though. At least one UDFA always seems to make the team every year.

Not necessarily-
4 OT's- Max, Colon, Essex & Hills
3 OG's- Kemo, Darnell & Urbik
2 OC's- Hartwig, Shipley

OR

5 OT's- Max, Colon, Essex (OG), Hills & Capizzi
3 OG's- Kemo, Darnell (OC) & Urbik
1 OC- Hartwig

Or will the Steelers go 10 OL on the roster?

steelers43
04-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't see Hills and Capizzi making it. One of them is gone or to the PS for Hills.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 12:58 AM

You mention Wallace in your discussion of Burnett because they both have returnability.

However, Wallace's straight-line speed lends itself to kick return duty.

Burnett's agility and quickness lends itself to punt return duty.

Our best best is for Wallace to show he can handle the 4th WR role behind Hines/Santonio/Sweed (beating out Baker and Nance), allowing him to be our primary kick returner on game day, and for Burnett to show that he can handle a dime CB role behind Ike/Gay/Deshea (even if we have to deactivate the more heralded CB prospect Lewis on gameday), allowing him to be our primary punt returner on game day.

Imagine if our punt and kick return games improve significantly this season (as they should be), and Sepulveda is leaps-and-bounds better than Berger (as he should be)...the substantial difference in starting field position when we take the field on offense or defense should be a big-time advantage. Hidden yards, baby...hidden yards.
biggest problem is i'm not convinced they keep 2 guys for the sole purpose of returns. Like you say, if Wallace can make the active squad on his WR abilities, it's easier to keep Burnett as a punt returner. If neither can make it on Offense or Defense, one, at most, will make it. I don't think the team will keep 2 active spots tied up just for returners. My $$ would be on the punt returner. We'll return more punts than kickoffs.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 01:02 AM

Not necessarily-
2 OC's- Hartwig, Shipley

OR

1 OC- Hartwig

The position flexibility of guys like Essex (G/T) and Stapleton (C/G) make this somewhat of a grey area. I hope Urbik can beat out Stapleton for the starting RG job out of training camp so that we can have Essex and Stapleton are our utility swing back-ups for the o-line. If you don't need a back-up tackle, back-up guard, and back-up center on the active roster on game day and only two guys could handle those back-up roles because they can play multiple positions, that frees up an active gameday spot for another special teams guru.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 01:39 AM
As was pointed out earlier, there are open roster spots on the team, if not starting positions:

Ziggy Hood takes the roster spot vacated by Orpheus Roye

Kraig Urbik takes the roster spot vacated by Marvel Smith

Mike Wallace takes the roster spot vacated by Nate Washington

Keenan Lewis takes the roster spot vacated by Bryant McFadden

Per Kevin Colbert, the Steelers were looking for starter caliber players in rounds 1-3...in my mind, it follows that these players have the inside track for roster spots...

Joe Burnett will compete for a roster spot...right now, the Steelers have both Fernando Bryant and Keiwan Ratilff under contract, but I don't think that both will be retained...that may leave an opening, especially if Burnett shows anything in the punt return department...

Frank Summers will most likely take the roster spot vacated by Gary Russell...that may also mean that he is often deactivated on game day, but with the injuries that plagued the Steelers backfield last year, he might get an opportunity....

The last three draftees are most likely practice squad material...Colbert said as much before the draft regarding rounds 6-7...between Harris, Shipley and Johnson, I think that Shipley has the best chance to stick...there are two reasons for this:

1) The release of Kendall Simmons opens yet another possible roster spot on the offensive line

and

B) In 2007, the team kept Marvin Phillip on the initial 53-man roster...Phillip played only Center...

The openings on the roster are there...the draftees just have to earn them...it does not necessarily mean that long time Steeler veterans will be cut...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Joe Burnett will compete for a roster spot...right now, the Steelers have both Fernando Bryant and Keiwan Ratilff under contract, but I don't think that both will be retained...that may leave an opening, especially if Burnett shows anything in the punt return department...
I think technically, Ratliff has b-mac's roster spot... these 2 rookie CBs will have some battles on their hands.

Slapstick
04-28-2009, 01:50 AM
I think technically, Ratliff has b-mac's roster spot... these 2 rookie CBs will have some battles on their hands.

If Ratliff does have McFadden's roster spot, it is certainly written in pencil...a one year contract on the eve of the draft leads me to believe that the Steelers were looking for a veteran CB so that they wouldn't have to reach for one in the draft...

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Don't under estimate Joe Burnett. He has been proving people wrong who did that for the last 4 years.

I predict now that Burnett has a bigger impact next season than any rookie except for maybe Urbik. He has the potential to be special on returns and special teams.

papillon
04-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Not necessarily-
2 OC's- Hartwig, Shipley

OR

1 OC- Hartwig

Isn't Urbik a G/OT? I thought I read somewhere that he's played tackle as well as guard. Of course, not being very good in space probably eliminates him from the RT position. They showed some combine one-on-one drills and he held almost every play.

Pappy

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Don't under estimate Joe Burnett. He has been proving people wrong who did that for the last 4 years.

I predict now that Burnett has a bigger impact next season than any rookie except for maybe Urbik. He has the potential to be special on returns and special teams.

i agree, i think burnett will make a big impact. not only will he have a shot at the return game i think he will be valuable in dime and nickel packages. i liked this pick probably the most of any of the picks and that is saying a lot

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM

i agree, i think burnett will make a big impact. not only will he have a shot at the return game i think he will be valuable in dime and nickel packages. i liked this pick probably the most of any of the picks and that is saying a lot

I'll go on record now and state that Burnett will be a better player for us than Keenan Lewis. That includes being a better CB.