PDA

View Full Version : Shipley vs Mack

costanza2k1
04-26-2009, 10:10 PM
The biggest knock on Shipley is his height and arm span correct? I don't see that has a big deal as you can't really measure heart. So I figured lets compare him to Mack's stats...the difference isn't mind blowing by any means and makes you wonder what the big deal is. I think we may have done just fine...hands are smaller by 2 inches, and arm span by 4 inches...does that really make that big of a difference? I'm not a talent evaluator by any means but I think we have have killed it here.

Shipley
Had an arm span of 29 3/4 inches and a hand span of 8 1/2 inches at the combine.

Mack
Had an arm span of 33 inches and a hand span of 10 3/4 inches at the combine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipley
Height:
6'1"
Weight:

Mack
Height:
6'4"
Weight:

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
That 4 inch difference in arm length and 2 inch in hand size add up to a 6 round difference in draft status (1st round vs. 7th round).

WoodleyofTroy
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
This is like comparing Ramon Foster to Jason Smith.

And I take it all 32 saw it the same way, seeing as one went #21 overall and the other in the 7th round.

Steelers passed on him 7 times.

So much for Mack and Wood being the same value as Shipley.

WoodleyofTroy
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I'll add, that I do like the pick considering where we got him. Just referring to the pre-draft talk where some wanted him in the 3rd round.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll add, that I do like the pick considering where we got him. Just referring to the pre-draft talk where some wanted him in the 3rd round.

Exactly. I thought that Mack had All-Pro potential, therefore would have been happy to take him in round 1. That opportunity did not present itself, so I can live with that. I don't see the same All-Pro potential in Shipley, but he could work his way to being perhaps a solid starter in this league. You don't get too many of them in the 7th round (Keisel was a 7th rounder, Kemoeatu was a 6th rounder, Hartwig was a 6th rounder, etc.). It was certainly a value pick where we took him, so I am satisfied with it.

Wolfhound45
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Two words;

Standoff

Grip

These are two key elements to blocking. The ability to reach further than your opponent and push off is critical. That four inches can be a HUGE difference in hand battles. In addition, the ability to grab and hold (it is done every play) is also important. You have to again give Mack the advantage. In this instance, size matters.

Love the value pick, hope he does well, but there is a reason he went in the seventh round.

Mel Blount's G
04-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Mack is said to be the best center to be drafted in 25 years. Whatever. It cost the Browns a 1st round pick. One that we didn't have because we got a lombardi last year. And the Bills also coughed up 1st round pick for Wood. Benefits of not being very good. I really do believe there is truth that ship's arm length will be a setback for him. However, If Shipley can contest and beat out hartwig for the starting spot next year, it might go down as one of the best 7th round picks ever

Lebsteel
04-26-2009, 10:40 PM

I really liked the idea of us taking Mack in Rd. 1, but when that didn't happen, I posted yesterday that we should take Shipley with 3.96 since we lost our 4th round pick and I didn't think there was any way he'd be there by the end of Rd. 5. Guess I was wrong.

However, I think we got an INCREDIBLE steal getting him in Rd. 7. I really think Shipley has the heart and desire to make it with the Steelers. Aside from his football skills, the dude is VERY intelligent, scoring a 40 on the Wonderlic. Tell me how many players have scored that high. Not many that is for sure. I'd like to think he could play near the level that Mack is projected. The cool thing is we will get to see them both compete for many years to come. Well, assuming Shipley makes the team.

stlrz d
04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I like the comparisons to Saturday.

Mel Blount's G
04-26-2009, 10:47 PM
I like the comparisons to Saturday.
SAJEFF?

anjang86
04-26-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure size matters as much at center? Aren't centers supposed to be intelligent? The leaders of the OL?

I'm not saying AQ is going to be the real deal but I disagree with whoever thinks that size / wingspan has anything to do with 1st round vs 7th. There has to be a big difference in skill.

Slapstick
04-26-2009, 11:57 PM
No, the armspan and handspan differences account for the difference in draft position...also, the fact that he plays C workes against him...

Take Alphonso Smith, for example...he's 5'9" and was the most skilled and instinctive corner in the draft...but, because Vontae Davis has the coveted body type, he goes in round 1...

FWIW, I can't remember two Cs ever being drafted in round 1 before Saturday...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Bob Sanders didn't go in the 1st round because of size...

football players make plays - regardless of measurables.. (see hines)

Jom112
04-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Mack is said to be the best center to be drafted in 25 years. Whatever. It cost the Browns a 1st round pick.

I really liked Mack like everyone else. BUT I said it before the draft and I still believe that he is no Nick Mangold. Mangold was the top center drafted in the last 25 years. Mack will probably be second, if the Browns don't give him a staph infection...

drprwnap
04-27-2009, 08:40 AM
In my mind all these measurements are a bunch of bs.

stlrz d
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
[quote="stlrz d":2y6v4xfo]I like the comparisons to Saturday.
SAJEFF?[/quote:2y6v4xfo]

Yup, that one! :D

By the way, Dermontti Dawson was drafted in 1988, and even my rudimentary math skills tell me that was less than 25 years ago.

Just sayin. ;)

feltdizz
04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Did someone say Shipley was a steal in the 7th round? The 7th? LOL!!!

I hope he does pan out and we all know it's not where you are drafted but what you do when you get on the field.