PDA

View Full Version : UDFA Thread

steelernation77
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Post UDFA signings here

Steelers | Estermyer signed
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:08:50 -0700

Kevin M. Gold has confirmed to KFFL that undrafted rookie free-agent LS Mark Estermyer (Pittsburgh) has signed a three-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Financial terms were not disclosed.

steelernation77
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Steelers | Foster signs
Comment (0)
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:17:09 -0700
The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed undrafted free-agent OT Ramon Foster (Tennessee). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
i don't think the pedescleaux kid got drafted.

he sounded like a decent prospect/project.

steelernation77
04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
This is the website to go to for these:
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

steelernation77
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Ramon Foster
Height: 6-51/8 | Weight: 328 | 40-Time: 5.53

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent height and bulk with long arms...Strong and powerful...Gets an excellent push in the run game...Extremely stout at the point of attack...Understands angles and positioning...Is tough, physical and aggressive...Offers some versatility...Good work ethic...A team leader.

Weaknesses:
Average athleticism...Doesn't possess nimble feet...Poor balance...Has trouble with speed and quickness off the edge...Struggles to recover when beat...Range is limited and isn't comfortable in space...Plays too high at times...Isn't a natural knee bender...Doesn't use his hands well.

Notes:
A two-year starter for the Volunteers...Brother, Renardo, plays for the Atlanta Falcons...Redshirted in 2004...Worked as a backup in 2005 and 2006 but did earn a couple of spot starts...Took over the right tackle job and didn't miss a game in 2007 or 2008...Could also project inside to guard at the next level...Impressive physical specimen with starting potential but at the very least should fit as a valuable backup.

WoodleyofTroy
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Steelers signed Ron Jaworski's "Tom Brady/Matt Cassell" pick in QB Mike Reilly out of Central Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-reilly?id=81302#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-overview

AkronSteel
04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Steelers signed Ron Jaworski's "Tom Brady/Matt Cassell" pick in QB Mike Reilly out of Central Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-reilly?id=81302#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-overview

Could be a quality pickup. I like the Foster and Reilly pick ups but what the heck are we doing signing another LS.....how many do we need??

Wolfhound45
04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
...what the heck are we doing signing another LS.....how many do we need??

One more than James Harrison (if you remember that debacle last year).

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=981

steelernation77
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Well Refolsky hurt himself if I remember correctly, so we probably need one for competition in camp.

AkronSteel
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
...what the heck are we doing signing another LS.....how many do we need??

One more than James Harrison (if you remember that debacle last year).

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=981

Oh I remember but I don't understand the concept of bringing in another one when Warren and Retkofsky will be competing for the job???? Who knows maybe this guy is the greatest LS of all time but I just don't get it???

buckeyehoppy
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Ramon Foster
Height: 6-51/8 | Weight: 328 | 40-Time: 5.53

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent height and bulk with long arms...Strong and powerful...Gets an excellent push in the run game...Extremely stout at the point of attack...Understands angles and positioning...Is tough, physical and aggressive...Offers some versatility...Good work ethic...A team leader.

Weaknesses:
Average athleticism...Doesn't possess nimble feet...Poor balance...Has trouble with speed and quickness off the edge...Struggles to recover when beat...Range is limited and isn't comfortable in space...Plays too high at times...Isn't a natural knee bender...Doesn't use his hands well.

Notes:
A two-year starter for the Volunteers...Brother, Renardo, plays for the Atlanta Falcons...Redshirted in 2004...Worked as a backup in 2005 and 2006 but did earn a couple of spot starts...Took over the right tackle job and didn't miss a game in 2007 or 2008...Could also project inside to guard at the next level...Impressive physical specimen with starting potential but at the very least should fit as a valuable backup.

:Beer to getting Foster as an UDFA. Just slightly surprised that he didn't get drafted, but that works for us.

DukieBoy
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Mitch King (Iowa) signed with the Tittans. High motor guy too small for D-line but I wondered about him as a 2-down 3-4 ILB. He destroyed PSU this past season. Maybe s ST stud. Woud have liked to see him get a trial here, but low chance of making this team.

steelernation77
04-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Bump. Maybe Sticky?

Jom112
04-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Here is an updated list of players the Steelers have signed:

LS Mark Estermyer, Pitt
QB Mike Reilly, Central Washington
FS Derrick Richardson, New Mexico State
OT Ramon Foster, Tennessee

I believe you guys had everyone except Derrick Richardson already listed...

phillyesq
04-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Here is an updated list of players the Steelers have signed:

LS Mark Estermyer, Pitt
QB Mike Reilly, Central Washington
FS Derrick Richardson, New Mexico State
OT Ramon Foster, Tennessee

I believe you guys had everyone except Derrick Richardson already listed...

JOM, what UDFAs have you guys signed so far?

JAR
04-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Steelers | Grisham to sign
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:13:09 -0700

The State reports the Pittsburgh Steelers plan to sign undrafted rookie-free agent WR Tyler Grisham (Clemson).

PlayForBlood
04-27-2009, 09:13 AM
UPDATE: From the comments - also signed: linebacker Tom Korte of Hillsdale College +

Mel Blount's G
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
UPDATE: From the comments - also signed: linebacker Tom Korte of Hillsdale College +
Plus...

Tyler Grisham, WR, Clemson.
Kevin McCabe, QB, California, Pa.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Plus...

Reilly and McCabe? We usually bring a 4th arm to camp, but is there room for a 5th QB?

SteelerNation1
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/04/2009-steelers-undrafted-free-agent-signings/

SteelerNation1
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
STEELERS
LS Mark Estermyer (Pitt)
LB Tom Korte (Hillsdale College)
T Ramon Foster (Tennessee)
QB Mike Reilly (Central Washington)
WR Tyler Grisham (Clemson)
S Derrick Richardson (New Mexico State)
QB Kevin McCabe (Virginia)

D Rock
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Plus...

Reilly and McCabe? We usually bring a 4th arm to camp, but is there room for a 5th QB?

McCabe sounds awfully familiar...did he play HS ball at Pine Richland?

SteelBucks
04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
STEELERS
LS Mark Estermyer (Pitt)
LB Tom Korte (Hillsdale College)
T Ramon Foster (Tennessee)
QB Mike Reilly (Central Washington)
WR Tyler Grisham (Clemson)
S Derrick Richardson (New Mexico State)
QB Kevin McCabe (Virginia)

I like the Mike Reilly signing. He would have to spend a year on the PS but could make the roster as the #3 QB once Batch retires.

calmkiller
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
For the WVU Fans out there.

CB Ellis Lankster went to the Bills, K Pat McAfee went to the Colts. T Greg Isdaner to the Cowboys. Ryan Stanchek to the Falcons.

Rumors say Mortty Ivy to the Panthers. Unconfirmed at this point though.

calmkiller
04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know how many we can bring in this year? 80 is the max number of roster spots so I try and figure out the numbers.

buckeyehoppy
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I'd guess you can add as many w/o exceeding the roster limit, CK.

And if my calculations are correct...between guys already on the roster and draftees and UDFAs...that total now stands at 79. They could add one more.

Here's a suggestion for that 80th spot...

Nader Abdallah, DT, Ohio State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 4.96.
Projected Round (2009): 6-7.
1/10/09: Finished with five TFL, three passes broken up and a sack.

11/23/08: Nader Abdallah has 28 tackles, one sack, four TFL and three passes broken up through 11 games as a senior.

5/9/08: Nader Abdallah recorded 32 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks as a junior. Abdallah, who started nine games last year, should be able to have a solid combine (4.96 40, 32-inch vertical, 30 bench reps).

He might be worth the flier, even though he played in a 4-3. Hell, if they can draft a 4-3 DT in the first round, why not look at this guy?

buckeyehoppy
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
When I watched tOSU and saw Abdallah, he always reminded me of Keese. Bear in mind that Keese was a 7th rounder when he was drafted, so the learning curve wouldn't be any more pronounced. And bringing in one more guy to compete on the DL makes sense. We have 9 DL total among the 79 we now have...assuming my count was correct. Having a 10th, considering that we need to move toward a younger team, won't hurt a thing.

grotonsteel
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I like Tackle Ramon Foster..hopefully he makes PS

buckeyehoppy
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I like Tackle Ramon Foster..hopefully he makes PS

Ramon Foster should have been drafted. I think he may be the steal of the UDFA haul...and, go figure, at a position of need.

The Steelers are putting an inordinate amount of faith in Hills, Capizzi and, even, Colon, for that matter. Bringing in Foster to compete with these guys makes more than enough sense. I'll qualify that group, though, by saying that if Hills fulfills any of the promise that projected him as a 1st or 2nd rounder in last year's draft then we won't have anything to worry about.

SteelBucks
04-27-2009, 01:16 PM

And if my calculations are correct...between guys already on the roster and draftees and UDFAs...that total now stands at 79. They could add one more.

11/23/08: Nader Abdallah has 28 tackles, one sack, four TFL and three passes broken up through 11 games as a senior.

5/9/08: Nader Abdallah recorded 32 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks as a junior. Abdallah, who started nine games last year, should be able to have a solid combine (4.96 40, 32-inch vertical, 30 bench reps).

He might be worth the flier, even though he played in a 4-3. Hell, if they can draft a 4-3 DT in the first round, why not look at this guy?

:Agree

I've been mentioning him as a possible good FA pickup.

SteelBucks
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Well, so much for that. Abdallah signed with Jacksonville.

buckeyehoppy
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM

JAX must have had 80 zillion roster spots because didn't they bring in like 20 UDFAs? Glad to see that he's getting a chance, although I didn't see his name this morning...they must have just added him.

SteelBucks
04-27-2009, 02:36 PM

JAX must have had 80 zillion roster spots because didn't they bring in like 20 UDFAs? Glad to see that he's getting a chance, although I didn't see his name this morning...they must have just added him.

The updated info says he didn't actually sign. Jacksonville is bringing him in for a workout. I guess if he does well they'll bring him into camp.

buckeyehoppy
04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
The updated info says he didn't actually sign. Jacksonville is bringing him in for a workout. I guess if he does well they'll bring him into camp.

Shiite!!! The Steelers have a spot open. They should just sign Abdallah and if he doesn't cut it in mini camp, then dump him. I'd find it hard to believe, tho, that he wouldn't come out of mini camp warranting a much closer look.

SteelBucks
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Shiite!!! The Steelers have a spot open. They should just sign Abdallah and if he doesn't cut it in mini camp, then dump him. I'd find it hard to believe, tho, that he wouldn't come out of mini camp warranting a much closer look.

I agree. Nadar must have received zero offers if JAX is bringing him in for a workout...I thought the guy had a solid senior season.

AkronSteel
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
They may actually be done with the UDFA's......there is one roster spot open and if I'm looking at my depth chart right we still need to sign a WR. I think it will probably be a vet to compete with Sweed and Wallace, at least I hope so. They may roll with 79 for a minute until they find the free agent bargain they are looking for but I really wanna see a vet WR come in here and compete for the 3-5 spots. Just a personal wish I guess but I don't feel there is enough quality depth at WR.

:2c

JAR
04-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, Pine-Richland and Cal U.

[quote=PlayForBlood]UPDATE: From the comments - also signed: linebacker Tom Korte of Hillsdale College +
Plus...

McCabe sounds awfully familiar...did he play HS ball at Pine Richland?[/quote:13shxg90]

buckeyehoppy
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
They may actually be done with the UDFA's......there is one roster spot open and if I'm looking at my depth chart right we still need to sign a WR. I think it will probably be a vet to compete with Sweed and Wallace, at least I hope so. They may roll with 79 for a minute until they find the free agent bargain they are looking for but I really wanna see a vet WR come in here and compete for the 3-5 spots. Just a personal wish I guess but I don't feel there is enough quality depth at WR.

They will only carry 5 at WR once the season starts anyway and it's like having a 5th starter in baseball: if you get any production out of him, it'll be a bonus.

Hines, Holmes, Sweed and Wallace are locks to make the final roster unless Wallace turns out to be Sybil and completely fools the FO by being one thing on draft day and another once he gets to camp. Sweed takes Nate's spot in the 3 hole and Wallace takes over for Sweed in the 4.

That leaves Nance, Baker, Brandon Williams and Tyler Grisham vying for one roster spot in the 5 hole. I think that is an adequate number of players to weed out for one spot. The first runner-up gets to go to the PS. My thinking is that Nance and Baker will be up for the roster spot with the loser being outrighted and Williams and Grisham will be going at it for the slot on the PS, since I can't imagine Nance and Baker still being eligible. Nance might have that option. Baker, I'm sure, does not.

AkronSteel
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM

They will only carry 5 at WR once the season starts anyway and it's like having a 5th starter in baseball: if you get any production out of him, it'll be a bonus.

Hines, Holmes, Sweed and Wallace are locks to make the final roster unless Wallace turns out to be Sybil and completely fools the FO by being one thing on draft day and another once he gets to camp. Sweed takes Nate's spot in the 3 hole and Wallace takes over for Sweed in the 4.

That leaves Nance, Baker, Brandon Williams and Tyler Grisham vying for one roster spot in the 5 hole. I think that is an adequate number of players to weed out for one spot. The first runner-up gets to go to the PS. My thinking is that Nance and Baker will be up for the roster spot with the loser being outrighted and Williams and Grisham will be going at it for the slot on the PS, since I can't imagine Nance and Baker still being eligible. Nance might have that option. Baker, I'm sure, does not.

I agree there is plenty of depth at WR as far as numbers go.....but I want Sweed and Wallace to have to earn the 3-4 spots not just have them given to them. Wallace is a rookie and a 3rd round pick. I like him and think he will contribute but what if he turns into Willie Reid and Santonio gets hurt for an extended period of time during the season? Do we really want to roll out for weeks with Hines, Sweed, Wallace and Baker? That scares me! I would prefer having another vet in here competing and providing depth. I would like to see Hines, Holmes, Sweed, veteran, Wallace as our five going into the opener. Baker and Nance have never shown that they can be competent NFL receivers, at least in my opinion!

grotonsteel
04-27-2009, 05:35 PM

I heard on other MB that Steelers are bringing in Ashley Lelie

AkronSteel
04-27-2009, 05:36 PM

I heard on other MB that Steelers are bringing in Ashley Lelie

I have a feeling it will be some type of vet....I don't know if Lelie is the right guy but I knew they would be looking at someone in this direction.

WoodleyofTroy
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
PSU's Schantz signs deal with NFL's Steelers
by Jim Beseda, The Oregonian
Monday April 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

Former Portland State linebacker Andy Schantz signed a free-agent contract with the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers and is expected to report for rookie camp with the reigning Super Bowl champions later this week.

In other free-agent moves involving former Vikings players, cornerback Reggie Jones signed with the New Orleans Saints, and kicker Danny Urrego agreed to terms with the Buffalo Bills.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Schantz led the Vikings last season with 115 tackles, including 15 tackles for loss, one interception, and one fumble recovery in 11 games, and was named the team's most valuable player in voting by his teammates.

PSU coach Jerry Glanville said Pittsburgh could be a good fit for the Schantz, because the Steelers' defensive scheme is similar in several ways to what the Vikings have tried to do the past two seasons.

"Pittsburgh didn't draft any linebackers and Andy knows their system," Glanville said. "There are a lot of positive things working in Andy's favor. He has tremendous passion for the game, and one thing about Steelers coach Dick LeBeau is he wants people who love football. So, I think Dick LeBeau will appreciate how important football is to Andy."

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
PSU's Schantz signs deal with NFL's Steelers
by Jim Beseda, The Oregonian
Monday April 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

Former Portland State linebacker Andy Schantz signed a free-agent contract with the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers and is expected to report for rookie camp with the reigning Super Bowl champions later this week.

In other free-agent moves involving former Vikings players, cornerback Reggie Jones signed with the New Orleans Saints, and kicker Danny Urrego agreed to terms with the Buffalo Bills.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Schantz led the Vikings last season with 115 tackles, including 15 tackles for loss, one interception, and one fumble recovery in 11 games, and was named the team's most valuable player in voting by his teammates.

PSU coach Jerry Glanville said Pittsburgh could be a good fit for the Schantz, because the Steelers' defensive scheme is similar in several ways to what the Vikings have tried to do the past two seasons.

"Pittsburgh didn't draft any linebackers and Andy knows their system," Glanville said. "There are a lot of positive things working in Andy's favor. He has tremendous passion for the game, and one thing about Steelers coach bad word LeBeau is he wants people who love football. So, I think bad word LeBeau will appreciate how important football is to Andy."

Glanville's at Portland State?!?! I bet Chuck Noll still wouldn't shake his hand. :tt2 :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM

My guess is that they dump one of the 3 long snappers currently on the roster (only need 2 for training camp), then pick up an extra punter and an extra kicker to keep Sepulveda and Reed's legs fresh throughout camp.

Oviedo
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM

My guess is that they dump one of the 3 long snappers currently on the roster (only need 2 for training camp), then pick up an extra punter and an extra kicker to keep Sepulveda and Reed's legs fresh throughout camp.

I hope Shipley shows that he can do long snapping and we don't have to carry a specialist. I have heard tidbits of info that he has practiced doing it before and demonstrated what he could do at the combine.

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
jerry glanville still coaches? thats scary

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
A few more names have been added since the preliminary list was posted. It's up to 13 guys now:

Steven Black WR 6-2 202 Memphis
Jeff Bradley DT 6-3 280 Western Carolina
Mark Estermeyer LS 6-1 251 Pitt
Ramon Foster OT 6-5 328 Tennessee
Cedric Goodman WR 6-2 189 Georgia
Tyler Grisham WR 5-10 184 Clemson
Tom Korte LB 6-0 239 Hillside (Mich.)
Kevin McCabe QB 6-2 209 California (Pa.)
Steve McLendon DT 6-3 305 Troy
Isaac Redman RB 5-10 228 Bowie State
Mike Reilly QB 6-3 214 Central Washington State
Derrick Richardson S 5-11 201 New Mexico State
Andrew Schantz LB 6-1 234 Portland State

jj28west
04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
WR Demiko Goodman out of Georgia has some decent speed but is a track guy and is a PS guy at best.

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.ph ... try4573680 (http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3838448&start=0&p=4573680&#entry4573680)

steelernation77
04-29-2009, 04:45 PM

I hope Shipley shows that he can do long snapping and we don't have to carry a specialist. I have heard tidbits of info that he has practiced doing it before and demonstrated what he could do at the combine.

Do you really want somebody who has never long snapped before doing it in games for us? Long-snapping may seem like a small thing but if you have somebody that screws up even once it can have terrible consequences.

AkronSteel
04-29-2009, 09:39 PM
How do we have so many guys on the roster?? I thought that teams were not allowed to exceed the 80 man roster limit. By my depth chart we currently have 86 players signed. How is that possible??? Anyone know??? If so let me know!!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 10:49 PM
How do we have so many guys on the roster?? I thought that teams were not allowed to exceed the 80 man roster limit. By my depth chart we currently have 86 players signed. How is that possible??? Anyone know??? If so let me know!!!

I believe the 80 man limit is for training camp. I assume that we can bring a few more than that to offseason mini-camps and OTA's as long as it is whittled down to 80 when we report to Latrobe.