PDA

View Full Version : Shipley!

Flasteel
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
There you go fellas. Two guys on each side of the lines. Definite value, let's see what the guy has got.

birtikidis
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
got the bio?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
thank god we didn't use a 3rd on this guy like some wanted.

Sugar
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM

No kidding- Shipley, Shipley, Shipley... Now we got him so hopefully he's as good as everyone has been saying. Geesh!1 :roll:

steelers43
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Best draft since 04!

steelers43
04-26-2009, 06:22 PM

No kidding- Shipley, Shipley, Shipley... Now we got him so hopefully he's as good as everyone has been saying. Geesh!1 :roll:

Ask Fili Moala and the USC LB's how good he is.

brothervad
04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Kipers assessement:

Shipley = Poor Man's Mike Webster.

I will take that in the 7th round.

brothervad

jrobitaille23
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Great value. Love it.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong--to take Shipley, we used the pick we got from Tampa for Mahan?

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong--to take Shipley, we used the pick we got from Tampa for Mahan?

That is correct. Astute observation.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Now it's time to grab Jason Watkins, Cadogan, Bell or Underwood

johnstownsteel
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Best draft since 04!I'm pumped with this draft. So yes...I agree!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
From the Steelers website. Sounds like a nice pickup, how did a guy who sounds so good last till the 7th round? Anyway, wouldn't it be nice if he turned out to be a solid long-term answer to C? :)

http://news.steelers.com/article/105087/

A.Q. SHIPLEY
Center
Penn State University
6:00.5-298
Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
Moon Area High School
7th Round – 226th Overall

OVERVIEW
The first center to serve as team captain since Barry Tielsch in 1996, Shipley had a banner senior campaign for the Nittany Lions. In addition to being named the recipient of the Rimington Trophy, given to college football’s best performer at center, he became the 92nd player in school annals to be named All-American first-team. Shipley proved to be a tough competitor in the middle of the field, anchoring a front wall that led the Big Ten Conference and ranked fourth in the nation for fewest quarterback sacks allowed 1.00 spg. That stellar pass protection allowed PSU to generate 243.08 aerial yards per game, the third-best total in the league. A respected team leader, Shipley is an intense and physical presence on the line. He is also one of the squad's most engaging personalities and played a jovial Santa Claus at the team's bowl game Christmas party during the 2005 and '06 seasons. An accomplished golfer, he graduated last December with a degree in Labor and Industrial Relations. At Moon Area High School, Shipley was a standout defensive lineman in four seasons with the varsity. He was a member of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fabulous 22, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25, and the Harrisburg Patriot-News Platinum 33 squads and also played in the 2004 "Big 33" Classic. As a senior, he helped the squad reach the Western Pennsylvania District Class AM semifinals after winning the Parkway Conference title. Shipley recorded 53 tackles as a senior, including 13 for loss and three sacks, as he also forced two fumbles. He ended his career with 243 tackles, 41 for loss and 13 sacks. He also was a three-year starter in basketball and was a two-year captain of the football and basketball teams. In 2004, Shipley competed on the Penn State scout team as a defensive tackle. The following year, he shuttled between the offensive and defensive lines. He moved to center in spring drills, providing depth there and at offensive guard the first half of the season. Prior to the Illinois game, he went back to defensive tackle, making five tackles with two sacks the
remainder of the season, participating in 226 snaps for the 2005 campaign. In 2006, Shipley secured a starting job at center, competing in 897 plays. He tallied 54 knockdowns with seven touchdown resulting blocks and also recorded a solo tackle vs. Northwestern. PSU's offense managed to average 349.92 yards per game, as the offensive line allowed only 23 sacks for the season. As a junior, Shipley was named to the All-Big Ten Conference first-team by the league's coaches and was a candidate for the Rimington Trophy. He registered 76 knockdowns that included nine touchdown-resulting blocks. He made ESPN's AII-Bowl team and caught a deflected pass for a four-yard gain vs. Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl. Behind his block-calling, he helped the team rank third in the Big Ten Conference in rushing (193.77 ypg.), as the Nittany Lions also amassed 5,201 yards in total offense. In 2008, Penn State's defense was explosive, thanks to the stellar play of their senior-laden front wall. The Big Ten Conference's Offensive Lineman of the Year recorded eleven touchdown-resulting blocks to go with 78 knockdowns. The team finished as the Big Ten leader in pass efficiency (145.35 rating), total offense (448.92 ypg) and points scored (38.92 ppg.).

CAREER NOTES
Started his last 39 games at center, recording 208 knockdowns, 27 touchdown-resulting blocks and 16 down field blocks while participating in 3,014 plays...Also recorded six tackles (4 solos) with two sacks for losses of 12 yards...Allowed just one quarterback sack and four pressures on his last 798 pass plays...Became the first center since Barry Tielsch in 1996 to serve as team captain (2008).

2008 SEASON
Earned All-American first-team honors from ESPN, the Football Writers Association of America and the Walter Camp Football Foundation, adding second-team accolades from the Associated Press, becoming the 92nd Nittany Lion to earn first-team national honors...All-Big Ten Conference first-team choice and named the league's Offensive Lineman of the Year...Rimington Trophy recipient, given to the nation's premier performer at center (first Penn State player to win that award since its inception in 2000)...One of three Penn State students nominated for the prestigious Dapper Dan Awards, awarded annually by the Dapper Dan Sports Charities to the figure from the Pittsburgh area who has made the most outstanding accomplishment in sports in the past year...Became the team's first center to be named captain since 1996...Graded 83.54% for blocking consistency, as he led the league's centers with eleven touchdown-resulting blocks and 78 knockdowns...Allowed only two quarterback pressures and no sacks on 383 pass plays...Paved the way for a squad that ranked 17th in the nation (second in the Big Ten) in rushing (205.85 ypg.), 14th in total offense (448.92 ypg., tops in the league) and 11th in scoring (Big Ten-leading 38.92 ppg.)...Called blocking assignments for an offensive line that ranked fourth nationally and led the conference for fewest sacks allowed (1.00 spg.).

2007 SEASON
All-Big Ten Conference first-team selection...Started every game at center, logging action in 997 snaps... Collected 76 knockdowns, six down field blocks and nine touchdown-resulting blocks, finishing with an 83.23% grade for blocking consistency...Allowed just one quarterback sack and two pressures on 415 pass plays, leading a front wall that saw PSU passers sacked just 20 times for the season... Part of a squad that averaged 400.08 yards and 30.31 points per game...Named to ESPN's All-Bowl Team, as he caught a deflected pass for a 4-yard gain vs. Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl.

2006 SEASON
Shipley moved into the starting lineup at center, competing in 897 plays...Produced 54 knockdowns, five down field blocks and seven touchdown-resulting blocks to record a blocking consistency grade of 80.23%...Also recorded a solo tackle vs. Northwestern…Allowed three quarterback sacks and four pressures on 424 pass plays...Helped the Nittany Lions average 349.92 yards in total offense, 199.92 yards passing and 150.0 yards rushing per game.

2005 SEASON
Shifted to center in spring drills, staying at that position as a reserve while also competing at offensive guard until the coaches moved him back to defensive tackle prior to the eighth game of the season vs. Illinois...Finished with five tackles (three solos) and two sacks for losses of 12 yards while competing in 226 snaps.

2004 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman...Played on the scout team as a defensive tackle.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Moon Area (Coraopolis, Pa.) High school, playing football for head coach Mark Capuano...Standout defensive lineman in four seasons with the varsity...Member of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fabulous 22, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25, and the Harrisburg Patriot-News Platinum 33 squads...Played in the 2004 "Big 33" Classic...As a senior, he helped the squad reach the Western Pennsylvania District Class AM semifinals after winning the Parkway Conference title...Recorded 53 tackles as a senior, including 13 for loss and three sacks, as he also forced two fumbles...Ended his career with 243 tackles, 41 for loss and 13 sacks...Three-year starter in basketball and was a two-year captain of the football and basketball teams.

PERSONAL
Graduated in December, 2008 with a degree in Labor and Industrial Relations...Son of Patricia and Allan Shipley...Born Allan Q. Shipley on 5/22/86 in Beaver County, Pennsylvania...Resides in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania.

TallyStiller
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
He stayed on the board because, like the UDFA from last year who he'll need to beat out, Doug Legursky, he's only 6'1". Not prototypical size for an NFL center. If he were 3 inches taller, he'd've gone in the 2nd round, based on his film and body of work.

Chadman
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
44/49 on the Wonderlic too....

AWESOME value.

phillyesq
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Especially in the 7th round, I like this pick. I really like everything I've read about Shipley, and you can't really argue the production. The only real question is whether his height/arm length will hold him back.

pfelix73
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow. Just got back from dinner. I can not believe he lasted that long.... He's gonna surprise some people in camp.

This is shaping up to be a good draft for them....

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
He stayed on the board because, like the UDFA from last year who he'll need to beat out, Doug Legursky, he's only 6'1". Not prototypical size for an NFL center. If he were 3 inches taller, he'd've gone in the 2nd round, based on his film and body of work.

I hear ya, Tally, but here's another guy who was 6'1" and 255 lbs and did OK at center!

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:pii ... =firefox-a (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:piiXuvCI53QJ:www.nfl.com/players/mikewebster/profile%3Fid%3DWEB755060+mike+webster+height+weigh t+steelers&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

(Mike Webster, if the link is funky ...)

papillon
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Part of what had him last until the 7th round was that teams the needed centers went and got them early; so there was no need at that point to reach for Shipley, he wasn't going anywhere.

Pappy

flippy
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM

I hear ya, Tally, but here's another guy who was 6'1" and 255 lbs and did OK at center!

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:pii ... =firefox-a (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:piiXuvCI53QJ:www.nfl.com/players/mikewebster/profile%3Fid%3DWEB755060+mike+webster+height+weigh t+steelers&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

Dirt wasn't that big either.....

And Harrison proves every day, short guys can get leverage. And if they have the heart to compete, they can take on 3 guys and win that battle.

Mel Blount's G
04-26-2009, 09:52 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2665766.jpeg

papillon
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
This may be the guy form this draft that we look back on and say, wow, did we hit the jackpot with that selection. He may relieve Hartwig of his duties before the end of the season next year.

Pappy

stlrz d
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2665766.jpeg

Is that chocolate? :D

NW Steeler
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm sure that a lot of you saw/heard it, but Mayock was going apesh!t on the NFLN waiting for Shipley to get picked. After the Steelers chose him, Mayock went on record as saying that Shipley would be a starter in the NFL without a doubt. I know that there was a lot of "homerism" involved with the desire for the Steelers to draft him, but it looks like he could be an absolute steal.

feltdizz
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
How is he a steal in the 7th, LOL????

I know what you guys mean but it's not like it was the 4th and someone else would scoop him up. That being said.. I think he will actually pan out. I think teams rely too much on prototype and not enough on talent and desire. Does 2 or 3 inches really knock a guy down 6 rounds?

If this kid produces it will show why Colbert and the Steelers are consistent winners..

NorthCoast
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Truth be told, Shipley was not the guy we targeted for center, Wood was No. 1. Shipley now has his chance to make the team and if heart and desire count for anything, he will make the best of his chance. The intangibles with some of these guys are what is intriguing and it will make for some interesting camp battles. When is the last time we had two drafted CBs battling in camp?

Mel Blount's G
04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
[quote="Mel Blount's G":1bjhwxr2]http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2665766.jpeg

Is that chocolate? :D[/quote:1bjhwxr2]
I dunno but how long are the arms on little mini-Rimington?!?!

sd steel
04-27-2009, 11:01 PM

I hope Ship is a stud.....that being said Iron Mike played 30 years ago, and there will never be another Dirt Dawson.

stlrz d
04-27-2009, 11:26 PM
[quote="stlrz d":cg3cfsco][quote="Mel Blount's G":cg3cfsco]http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2665766.jpeg

Is that chocolate? :D[/quote:cg3cfsco]
I dunno but how long are the arms on little mini-Rimington?!?![/quote:cg3cfsco]

Longer than the arms on SAAQ and SAJEFF...combined! :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Truth be told, Shipley was not the guy we targeted for center, Wood was No. 1. Shipley now has his chance to make the team and if heart and desire count for anything, he will make the best of his chance. The intangibles with some of these guys are what is intriguing and it will make for some interesting camp battles. When is the last time we had two drafted CBs battling in camp?

I'll take "Deshea Townsend and Jason Simmons" for $1000, Alex. They were taken in rounds 4 & 5 instead of 3 & 5...but close enough.

NorthCoast
05-02-2009, 09:33 AM

I'll take "Deshea Townsend and Jason Simmons" for $1000, Alex. They were taken in rounds 4 & 5 instead of 3 & 5...but close enough.

Nice bit of research Ruth.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I didn't realize that he was a D lineman who switched to full timme C in just his Junior year and won the Rimington the following year. Talk about your quick learning curve.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
If there is any spot on the OL where you could use short arms to your advantage it is at C. When a DL gets a jump and gets into your body before the C punches after the snap...A C with short arms can use his upper body strength to gain seperation and get a "stale mate" in the bull rush. Evidence to this fact is in the bench. Short arm players tend to do more reps in the bench than longer arm players. When a C with long arms gets caught with a DL in his chest before he can punch after the snap...He tends to get pushed back and bent backward. Just see Hartwig on the safety @ the SB. From experience, a technician can overcome this handicap if he stays on the interior. It requires development of an "armbar" technique used to knock down the DL arms when he tries to get into your body before you get in your punch. If you have quick hands and good feet you could minimize this handicap in the interior. On the edge in space it becomes a little more of a problem because the defender can use the outside edge to his advantage. You would need elite feet on the outside to survive with short arms and that doesn't happen very often. This is one aspect Colon struggles with in his game. Colon can't aford a false set on the perimeter. When he gets behind and a defender gets his hands into him before he does the rusher uses the edge and Colon's push to get around him.

As far as AQ, I could see him being successful at this level. I'm a PSU fan so I have seen him play alot. He rarely gave up ground in a bull rush and is very good in space on the LB level. I would say he compares to Mack in this aspect. A pain in you butt. Like a bug that won't go away. As far as tenacity, I would say he compares more to Unger. Not as nasty or physically imposing as Wood or Mack but just a guy that understands technique, leverage, and angles. AQ & Legursky both have the abilty to start at some point for the Steelers. Both of them will have to be "technicians" in this league and constantly working on each play. They have some limitations physically but can make up for it in their technique. They are both best described as "lunch pail guys" and they will have to work hard to stay at a high level because they don't have the physical size to bail them out when they loose their indvidual battle.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
If there is any spot on the OL where you could use short arms to your advantage it is at C. When a DL gets a jump and gets into your body before the C punches after the snap...A C with short arms can use his upper body strength to gain seperation and get a "stale mate" in the bull rush. Evidence to this fact is in the bench. Short arm players tend to do more reps in the bench than longer arm players. When a C with long arms gets caught with a DL in his chest before he can punch after the snap...He tends to get pushed back and bent backward. Just see Hartwig on the safety @ the SB. From experience, a technician can overcome this handicap if he stays on the interior. It requires development of an "armbar" technique used to knock down the DL arms when he tries to get into your body before you get in your punch. If you have quick hands and good feet you could minimize this handicap in the interior. On the edge in space it becomes a little more of a problem because the defender can use the outside edge to his advantage. You would need elite feet on the outside to survive with short arms and that doesn't happen very often. This is one aspect Colon struggles with in his game. Colon can't aford a false set on the perimeter. When he gets behind and a defender gets his hands into him before he does the rusher uses the edge and Colon's push to get around him.

As far as AQ, I could see him being successful at this level. I'm a PSU fan so I have seen him play alot. He rarely gave up ground in a bull rush and is very good in space on the LB level. I would say he compares to Mack in this aspect. A pain in you butt. Like a bug that won't go away. As far as tenacity, I would say he compares more to Unger. Not as nasty or physically imposing as Wood or Mack but just a guy that understands technique, leverage, and angles. AQ & Legursky both have the abilty to start at some point for the Steelers. Both of them will have to be "technicians" in this league and constantly working on each play. They have some limitations physically but can make up for it in their technique. They are both best described as "lunch pail guys" and they will have to work hard to stay at a high level because they don't have the physical size to bail them out when they loose their indvidual battle.

I enjoyed this analysis. I hope you will continue to provide this kind of insight into our OL play throughout the coming season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-04-2009, 03:56 PM

I enjoyed this analysis. I hope you will continue to provide this kind of insight into our OL play throughout the coming season.
I will do what I can to provide any "dirt from the trenches".

True Fan
05-04-2009, 04:22 PM

thanks for the read. what worries me tho is that not only did 31 other teams pass over shipley altogether, the steelers themselves waited to the last possible moment to take him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":16oaqswi]If there is any spot on the OL where you could use short arms to your advantage it is at C. When a DL gets a jump and gets into your body before the C punches after the snap...A C with short arms can use his upper body strength to gain seperation and get a "stale mate" in the bull rush. Evidence to this fact is in the bench. Short arm players tend to do more reps in the bench than longer arm players. When a C with long arms gets caught with a DL in his chest before he can punch after the snap...He tends to get pushed back and bent backward. Just see Hartwig on the safety @ the SB. From experience, a technician can overcome this handicap if he stays on the interior. It requires development of an "armbar" technique used to knock down the DL arms when he tries to get into your body before you get in your punch. If you have quick hands and good feet you could minimize this handicap in the interior. On the edge in space it becomes a little more of a problem because the defender can use the outside edge to his advantage. You would need elite feet on the outside to survive with short arms and that doesn't happen very often. This is one aspect Colon struggles with in his game. Colon can't aford a false set on the perimeter. When he gets behind and a defender gets his hands into him before he does the rusher uses the edge and Colon's push to get around him.

thanks for the read. what worries me tho is that not only did 31 other teams pass over shipley altogether, the steelers themselves waited to the last possible moment to take him.[/quote:16oaqswi]
Like another poster said many teams filled their C need earlier. That was one reason. The other reason is Shipley is most likely a one position OL. I'm sure he could play G in an emergency but from a draft standpoint he is looked at as a C. When you dress 45 and you have one on the 53 who plays 1 position he can get passed over. It happened to Legursky last year and he ended up undrafted. If you remember, Hank Fraley started here as an UDFA. It is one of those positions that if you are not at the top you could slide out of the draft based upon team needs that year. FB, C, TE, & S always have late round value because teams grade these positions lower and it isn't uncommon to get a top 5 player at that position in the later rounds. Just look at some drafts for example. You could get a 1st round where it goes to the 5th & 6th OT before the best interior lineman comes off the board. There are some drafts where the best C doesn't come off the board until round 2 or 3. I could see why Shipley went where he did. I just hope that in 3 years we all can't believe he went where he did. He is a no risk pick and might even be able to sit on the PS for a year. If he could LS he might find a spot this year. He is just a "wait & see" prospect for us to talk about for the next 2 years. If the experts were right, no bid deal. If the experts were wrong, we got a great deal!

ikestops85
05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
thanks for the read. what worries me tho is that not only did 31 other teams pass over shipley altogether, the steelers themselves waited to the last possible moment to take him.

The same could be said about Tom Brady. I think the problem is the scouts put so much emphasis on measureables but they haven't been able to measure 'heart' or 'football intelligence'. Some players just figure out how to get it done no matter what level (HS, College, or Pro) they play at. I personally feel Ben is that type of player. He doesn't have the strongest arm, he's not the most accurate, he's not the most athletically gifted, and he's not the smartest. He is, however, one of the best in the league at his position. Shipley seems to be in that mold but only time will tell. :tt2