PDA

View Full Version : Frank the Tank

steelsnis
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Looks like the Steelers were eyeing up summers a while back.

Summers steals the show at UNLV Pro Day
Former Rebels RB runs, lifts and jumps his way toward potential draft spot

When Frank Summers recorded a vertical leap of 34.5 inches on Thursday afternoon, teammates and friends in attendance applauded.

When Frank Summers ran a 4.55 in the 40-yard dash, it wasn't just the scouts clicking stopwatches at the finish line. Also doing so were more than 20 current UNLV football players, checking with each other to see what time they clocked on their outstretched watches and cell phones.

When Frank Summers, winded from running routes on the field at Rebel Park moments earlier, put up 30 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press, the UNLV basketball players in the weight room took a break from their workouts and stood in awe, jaws dropped to their chests.

In the end, the former Rebels running back, now trying to make it to the NFL in any way possible, did exactly what he set out to do at UNLV's annual Pro Day.

"The scouts were here to see what I could do," the 5-foot-9, 240-pound bowling ball of a back said. "I treated this like a game situation. I got some good sleep last night, nice breakfast this morning. Anytime you're in a game, you compete and perform at your highest level always, play-in, play-out. And that's how I treated today."

Summers, along with several other graduating Rebels, underwent a litany of tests, with scouts from 12 NFL teams keeping tabs on all of it with stopwatches, pens and clipboards.

No one, though, put on a show like Summers did. He looked the part of a man ready for business, wearing a set of flashy black and silver adidas compression shorts, a shiny earring, a gold '4' medallion from his neck and a freshly-wound set of his signature braids on his head.

After suffering a knee injury in UNLV's season-ending loss at San Diego State on Nov. 22 in the game's opening series, he headed to Sarasota, Fla., where he's been training with Rich Lansky, owner and president of the Optimum Performance Training Institution.

The number of scouts on hand Thursday was a bump up from previous years, as was the number of current Rebels there to watch.

Summers was not invited to last month's NFL Combine in Indianapolis, and said he came in with a goal of topping the numbers posted by the 27 running backs invited to the event.

"I take any motivation possible, and that was obviously motivating," he said of the snub.

Several of those scouts made the trip to Rebel Park after Summers held an impressive week of practices leading up to the Texas vs. The Nation all-star game in El Paso on Jan. 31. In the game, he caught four passes for 55 yards and a 19-yard score, carried the ball once for 3 yards and also played on kickoff coverage.

"I think I pretty much let people know around the country that I'm a football player, no matter what happened last season with me, and I proved it out in Texas at the game," Summers said. "I can come in, take up three positions with one roster spot. I can play fullback, I can play tailback, obviously special teams, and I'm sure I can play defense if they need me there, too.

"That was my goal, to outdo the guys who went to the combine. I was able to see their numbers. I wasn't invited, so I came here to outdo them and I think I put myself in that category of the best of the best."

Summers' 4.55 time in the 40 was better than the times posted by 16 of the 23 backs who performed in Indianapolis. It should be noted, too, that those at the Combine had the luxury of running the event's signature test indoors, as opposed to the windy conditions Summers ran in Thursday.

His 34.5-inch vertical topped only three of the Combine participants, while his 9-foot, 5-inch broad jump was just a smidge shorter than all 10 of the distances marked off in Indy.

But where Summers blew everyone from the Combine away was on the bench press.

Summers had no time to rest after running a series of pass-catching drills on the field before wolfing down a banana -- for protein, of course -- and heading into the weight room. There, he hoisted 225 pounds 30 times, hardly struggling in the process. Of the 23 backs to lift in Indy, the highest total number of reps was 29.

Then again, Summers, is trying to make it into the league primarily as a fullback, compared to the backs at the Combine trying to get drafted as, well, running backs.

And if there's one team whose attention Summers caught more than anyone's as a fullback, it was the reigning Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, who had two scouts on-hand alongside running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

The Steelers' staffers in attendance, after all of the players' running tests were completed, held Summers behind on the field to have him run a series of cone drills and pass-catching sets.

They wanted to see first-hand the soft and sure mitts that hauled in 36 passes during Summers' two seasons as a Rebel, which were a nice supplement to his 1,668 rushing yards.

After his first grab, a pass to the flat, he turned, grunted and sprinted downfield.

Wilson told him upon returning to the formation that he didn't have to worry about finishing each route after the catch.

Summers paid it no mind, running at least 20 yards, full speed, following each snag. He caught every catchable ball thrown his way.

At one point, one scout said, under his breathe, 'He's a junior Bus', referring to sure-fire Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis, who helped carry the Steelers to a win in Super Bowl XL over Seattle in 2006 to cap his brilliant 13-year career.

That extra effort, combined with Summers' preparation and execution, earned him several handshakes from the scouts upon completing his bench reps.

Now, he'll stay mostly in Las Vegas, where he plans on watching the NFL Draft on April 25 and 26.

He said he'll drop everything to go work out for teams individually if such trips are requested between now and then. And on draft day, he'll hope for a phone call from anyone delivering some good news.

Certainly, an even louder buzz will set off around the league regarding Summers after the champs worked him out in front of 11 other franchises.

But there's no question the added attention from the Steelers perked him up.

"It gave me a lot of confidence that I'm doing something right and I'm on the right track," he said. "And hopefully I can pick up my phone on draft day and (Wilson) will be calling me."

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Congrats, kid. You got your wish. Now it is time to bring your lunch pail to work. I like that he was willing to play special teams, which he will have to do as a 5th rounder.

birtikidis
04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
well carey davis it was good to know ya. we barely had time to become friends. now don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
i like this kid already.

can't wait to see what he looks like on the grass.

stlrz d
04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I love the bowling ball with braids!

DukieBoy
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
This is a great pick. I think he'll be a favorite at training camp. I'll bet he'll be a special teams beast as well as and asset on offense.

Mel Blount's G
04-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Running Backs Coach Kirby Wilson

Kirby Wilson
RE: Frank Summers
RB, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
5th Round – 169th Overall

Is he strictly a running back?
He has the capability to do both. That’s the unique thing about him that we liked. He has halfback qualities, but he has fullback size. There was some uniqueness there that was on obvious draw to us.

Can he block?
Yes. We saw him playing the fullback position in the Texas vs. America all-star game. That was another thing that kind of sealed the deal for us. In our minds this was a young man that could do multiple things.

RE: Sounds like your typical short yardage back.
We think that he is. He exhibited those things throughout his college carrier, the ability to move the piles. One of the other things that we liked about him, is that when he was in the goal line areas he was a guy that could carry the ball when they knew he was going to get it and score touchdowns. He is also a very capable wide receiver coming out of the backfield and detached running routes. I think people will be surprised when they see him.

He was UNLV’s leading receiver?
I’m not sure of that fact, but it wouldn’t surprise me because he does have outstanding receiving skills.

With Rashard (Mendenhall) back what is your situation at running back right now?
We are going to carry eight throughout the spring and throughout training camp. There will be six halfbacks and two fullbacks that are listed as fullbacks, but as we said earlier Frank has the capability to do both things.

Does that count Sean McHugh?
No, he is not included in that. Right now he is listed under the tight ends.

Can Frank move as a third tight end?

No. He’s strictly going to be a halfback/fullback combination.

Is that the Carey Davis role?

The way we see it Carey is a fullback only, but an emergency halfback. Frank is going to be a halfback that can play fullback for us.

Who is the other fullback you are counting?

Ryan Powdrell.

Does this enhance the value of the fullback position? It seems for the past several years, it has been downplayed a little bit, even in the Steelers offense.

I think you’d have to look at that way – that it does enhances it – because this is a guy who has unique abilities that way that he can do both. This is a guy, when he’s on the field, what package are you going to put out there, defensively? Are you going to count him as a fullback? Are we in two-back? Or are you going to count him as just a halfback – do we have two halfbacks in the ball game? It kind of depends on what defense and how they are going to prepare for us, but, to answer that question, yes, I think it does enhance it.

You seemed to lean more on McHugh over the second half of the season as your lead blocker. Is he still considered a tight end? Is he an H-back? What is he?

If you look at Bruce Arians’ past, he was brought up in the Indianapolis Colts system, and they believed in two and three tight ends. And so I think in his mindset – in his theory – that’s kind of what he leans heavily upon is that feeling and that comfort zone. So, yes, he does line up some as a fullback in our backfield. He’s on wing sets. He’s as a true tight end. So he’s got some multiple skills that he also brings to the table. But right now, he’s listed as the tight end and Carey’s still listed as our starting fullback.

What do you want out of Rashard [Mendenahall] this year?

Well, I would like to see him stay healthy the whole year. That’s for sure. We were talking the other day [and] the hit that he got hurt on was not a big-time collision. Because we all saw the Philadelphia hit, which was much more violent, and you would think that if he’s going to be hurt, that would have been one of the plays. But, we’d like to see him stay healthy and develop his style of running and develop his identity of who he is as a runner. Right now, he hasn’t had that luxury. This year is critical. We want to see him stay on the field. We want to see him develop his own style, his own identity. And we’ll find out what we’ve got because we think we have something special there.

Do you almost look at this as a second rookie year for him?

Absolutely. We all are in agreement with that. We win a Super Bowl and we get to add a first-round talent at halfback. So that’s a plus for us.

Have you talked to Willie [Parker]? Is he coming in this week?

Yes. I talked to him a couple of times last week. He’s excited. He’s getting back in. He’s just wrapping up some things back home. He’ll be here and doing the same things he’s always done – sneaking into the building, working out after hours. You know how that guy is.

What happened with Gary Russell? Was it a salary cap issue? Did he do something wrong?

Not to my knowledge. We were talking one day, and Coach Tomlin told me this is the situation and we’re going to do this because of that. And we’ll move on and get better. And that’s what we’ve done.

phillyesq
04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Looks like the Steelers were eyeing up summers a while back.

Summers steals the show at UNLV Pro Day
Former Rebels RB runs, lifts and jumps his way toward potential draft spot

When Frank Summers recorded a vertical leap of 34.5 inches on Thursday afternoon, teammates and friends in attendance applauded.

When Frank Summers ran a 4.55 in the 40-yard dash, it wasn't just the scouts clicking stopwatches at the finish line. Also doing so were more than 20 current UNLV football players, checking with each other to see what time they clocked on their outstretched watches and cell phones.

When Frank Summers, winded from running routes on the field at Rebel Park moments earlier, put up 30 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press, the UNLV basketball players in the weight room took a break from their workouts and stood in awe, jaws dropped to their chests.

In the end, the former Rebels running back, now trying to make it to the NFL in any way possible, did exactly what he set out to do at UNLV's annual Pro Day.

"The scouts were here to see what I could do," the 5-foot-9, 240-pound bowling ball of a back said. "I treated this like a game situation. I got some good sleep last night, nice breakfast this morning. Anytime you're in a game, you compete and perform at your highest level always, play-in, play-out. And that's how I treated today."

Summers, along with several other graduating Rebels, underwent a litany of tests, with scouts from 12 NFL teams keeping tabs on all of it with stopwatches, pens and clipboards.

No one, though, put on a show like Summers did. He looked the part of a man ready for business, wearing a set of flashy black and silver adidas compression shorts, a shiny earring, a gold '4' medallion from his neck and a freshly-wound set of his signature braids on his head.

After suffering a knee injury in UNLV's season-ending loss at San Diego State on Nov. 22 in the game's opening series, he headed to Sarasota, Fla., where he's been training with Rich Lansky, owner and president of the Optimum Performance Training Institution.

The number of scouts on hand Thursday was a bump up from previous years, as was the number of current Rebels there to watch.

Summers was not invited to last month's NFL Combine in Indianapolis, and said he came in with a goal of topping the numbers posted by the 27 running backs invited to the event.

"I take any motivation possible, and that was obviously motivating," he said of the snub.

Several of those scouts made the trip to Rebel Park after Summers held an impressive week of practices leading up to the Texas vs. The Nation all-star game in El Paso on Jan. 31. In the game, he caught four passes for 55 yards and a 19-yard score, carried the ball once for 3 yards and also played on kickoff coverage.

"I think I pretty much let people know around the country that I'm a football player, no matter what happened last season with me, and I proved it out in Texas at the game," Summers said. "I can come in, take up three positions with one roster spot. I can play fullback, I can play tailback, obviously special teams, and I'm sure I can play defense if they need me there, too.

"That was my goal, to outdo the guys who went to the combine. I was able to see their numbers. I wasn't invited, so I came here to outdo them and I think I put myself in that category of the best of the best."

Summers' 4.55 time in the 40 was better than the times posted by 16 of the 23 backs who performed in Indianapolis. It should be noted, too, that those at the Combine had the luxury of running the event's signature test indoors, as opposed to the windy conditions Summers ran in Thursday.

His 34.5-inch vertical topped only three of the Combine participants, while his 9-foot, 5-inch broad jump was just a smidge shorter than all 10 of the distances marked off in Indy.

But where Summers blew everyone from the Combine away was on the bench press.

Summers had no time to rest after running a series of pass-catching drills on the field before wolfing down a banana -- for protein, of course -- and heading into the weight room. There, he hoisted 225 pounds 30 times, hardly struggling in the process. Of the 23 backs to lift in Indy, the highest total number of reps was 29.

Then again, Summers, is trying to make it into the league primarily as a fullback, compared to the backs at the Combine trying to get drafted as, well, running backs.

And if there's one team whose attention Summers caught more than anyone's as a fullback, it was the reigning Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, who had two scouts on-hand alongside running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

The Steelers' staffers in attendance, after all of the players' running tests were completed, held Summers behind on the field to have him run a series of cone drills and pass-catching sets.

They wanted to see first-hand the soft and sure mitts that hauled in 36 passes during Summers' two seasons as a Rebel, which were a nice supplement to his 1,668 rushing yards.

After his first grab, a pass to the flat, he turned, grunted and sprinted downfield.

Wilson told him upon returning to the formation that he didn't have to worry about finishing each route after the catch.

Summers paid it no mind, running at least 20 yards, full speed, following each snag. He caught every catchable ball thrown his way.

At one point, one scout said, under his breathe, 'He's a junior Bus', referring to sure-fire Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis, who helped carry the Steelers to a win in Super Bowl XL over Seattle in 2006 to cap his brilliant 13-year career.

That extra effort, combined with Summers' preparation and execution, earned him several handshakes from the scouts upon completing his bench reps.

Now, he'll stay mostly in Las Vegas, where he plans on watching the NFL Draft on April 25 and 26.

He said he'll drop everything to go work out for teams individually if such trips are requested between now and then. And on draft day, he'll hope for a phone call from anyone delivering some good news.

Certainly, an even louder buzz will set off around the league regarding Summers after the champs worked him out in front of 11 other franchises.

But there's no question the added attention from the Steelers perked him up.

"It gave me a lot of confidence that I'm doing something right and I'm on the right track," he said. "And hopefully I can pick up my phone on draft day and (Wilson) will be calling me."

This article was a great read. I liked this pick from the onset, and like it even more now.

Mel Blount's G
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Love this guy's attitude. Great pick. I bet he gets along great w/ fwp and pushes Mendy to work harder (though I have no real reason to believe he hasn't been working hard)

Jooser
04-26-2009, 08:02 PM
The Bus, pt. Deux

decleater
04-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Great pick!

birtikidis
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Great pick!
i agree.
he looks like an animal in that pic...

decleater
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Great pick!
i agree.
he looks like an animal in that pic...
Yes, he does! I bet the 'pile' moves this coming season!

stlrz d
04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I read somewhere that even after he committed to UNLV Pete Carrol was still after him to change his mind and go to USC...but he wouldn't because USC wanted him strictly as a full back.

He's going to bust some suckas in the snot locker and I can't wait until he does it to ray ray!!!

Wolfhound45
04-26-2009, 09:41 PM
I am loving this kid. Can we say "Steelers football" again?

:Steel

skyhawk
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Great pick!

Dude, who needs animation for the Incredible Hulk movie when you got this guy?

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I read somewhere that even after he committed to UNLV Pete Carrol was still after him to change his mind and go to USC...but he wouldn't because USC wanted him strictly as a full back.

He's going to bust some suckas in the snot locker and I can't wait until he does it to ray ray!!!

And, when we played the striped team in our division, he can do the same to Rey Rey. :mrgreen:

LouSteel
04-28-2009, 09:49 PM
I LOVE this pick.

He runs tough and low, and he really has a nose for contact.

I can't wait to watch this guy tee off on some Ravens :)

papillon
04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
I am loving this kid. Can we say "Steelers football" again?

:Steel

Ahhhm. you do know that Bruce Arians is the offensive, offensive coordinator for the Steelers, right? He doesn't believe in a fullback (the idiot, oops, did I say that out loud?).

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 12:37 AM
With all the Summers Lovin' around here now, I hope most of you do not have unrealistic expectations that this guy is the second coming of Bettis, because there is a 99.44% chance that you will be disappointed if that is what you think will happen when this guy puts on the black and gold.

A more reasonable comparison would be Fuamatu-Ma'Afala, who was also drafted in the 6th round. That's not a bad thing...Fu was moderately productive during his time here, and was very well liked among the fans, which I think will also be the case regarding the Tank. Hopefully we have another "Bad@$$ Ma'Afala" on our hands.

feelthesteel
04-29-2009, 05:50 AM
Anyone that can punch it in and get first downs in short yard situations
is a blessing-save Ben from kamakazze too.

Dont get me wrong i love FWP but
i was a big fan of Barry Foster and i wish we had back like him again.
Im not saying Frank the Tank is that guy im just saying i liked Foster.
But the Steelers always had great backs.

I LOVE IT WHEN WE IMPOSE OUR WILL ON OUR OPPONENT.
KIND OF MISS THAT.

stlrz d
04-29-2009, 09:45 AM
With all the Summers Lovin' around here now, I hope most of you do not have unrealistic expectations that this guy is the second coming of Bettis, because there is a 99.44% chance that you will be disappointed if that is what you think will happen when this guy puts on the black and gold.

A more reasonable comparison would be Fuamatu-Ma'Afala, who was also drafted in the 6th round. That's not a bad thing...Fu was moderately productive during his time here, and was very well liked among the fans, which I think will also be the case regarding the Tank. Hopefully we have another "Bad@$$ Ma'Afala" on our hands.

That's what I'm hoping for...another Fu, but one who can stay healthy.

papillon
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Then my expectations will be met. All I really want to be able to do is on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 go and get another beer, because, I know they're going to hand it to the bowling ball and he'll be able to gain a freakin yard at or above the NFL average for conversions of that down and distance. Am I expecting too much?

Pappy

Slapstick
04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm nt looking for Summers to be the second coming of Jerome Bettis...there will most likely never be another Jerome Bettis...

Besides, I want to see what Mendenhall can do...

What I am looking for out of Summers is help on short yardage and, eventually, to take away the starting FB role from Carey Davis...

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Exactly. People just seem so pumped up about Summers right now when he will basically be a role player. Mendenhall is the RB everyone should be pumped up about, since he is basically our #1 draft pick this year (since the vast majority of his rookie season was lost to injury). I doubt that we will see much of Hood at all this year because it takes time for anyone to adjust to the DE position in a LeBeau 3-4, so basically, we should see Rocket Rashard showing off his 1st round potential in his second season in 2009, and we will likely have to wait for Ziggy to show off his 1st round potential until his second season in 2010.

papillon
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Exactly. People just seem so pumped up about Summers right now when he will basically be a role player. Mendenhall is the RB everyone should be pumped up about, since he is basically our #1 draft pick this year (since the vast majority of his rookie season was lost to injury). I doubt that we will see much of Hood at all this year because it takes time for anyone to adjust to the DE position in a LeBeau 3-4, so basically, we should see Rocket Rashard showing off his 1st round potential in his second season in 2009, and we will likely have to wait for Ziggy to show off his 1st round potential until his second season in 2010.

Chances are good though that Mendenhall isn't going to be in the game on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1; I'm excited to see what he can do during the rest of the game, but, I'm expecting Frank the Tank to mive the GD sticks on 3rd and short or 4th and short. The Steelers were dead last in conversion percentage for those two down and distances last year and that's bad.

Tomlin: "Frank, go move the chains please"
Frank: "Okay coach, I'll be right back"
Tomlin: "Thank you"
Frank: "You're welcome"

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 12:26 PM
One play that I would like to see them put back in the playbook for occassional use on short yardage plays against overly-aggressive defenses would be to line up Summers at FB in an off-set I-formation in front of Mendenhall. Ben fakes the hand-off to Summers, which looks like a classic short yardage dive play up the middle, but then does the quick pitch to Rocket Rashard, with plenty of open real estate in front of him.

LasVegasGuy
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM

Hardly, a Fu-Ma comparison. I've seen this dude up close and personal and he is a bruiser. Right now I would put him above FU but behind Bettis somewhere in the middle. Maybe an Ickey Woods who by the way also came from UNLV. He can get the tough yardage and does not fumble, EVER!. I think our days of being stuffed on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and goal are over.

The reason he was a 5th round pick is because he played for UNLV. This school is not your NFL breeding ground for players. Had he gone to USC, Wisconsin, UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, Washington State or Colorado I am certain he would have gone sooner in the draft. We got a good pick with Summers and from watching him at UNLV games on Saturday he is going to impress people.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Hardly, a Fu-Ma comparison. I've seen this dude up close and personal and he is a bruiser. Right now I would put him above FU but behind Bettis somewhere in the middle. Maybe an Ickey Woods who by the way also came from UNLV. He can get the tough yardage and does not fumble, EVER!. I think our days of being stuffed on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and goal are over.

The reason he was a 5th round pick is because he played for UNLV. This school is not your NFL breeding ground for players. Had he gone to USC, Wisconsin, UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, Washington State or Colorado I am certain he would have gone sooner in the draft. We got a good pick with Summers and from watching him at UNLV games on Saturday he is going to impress people.

If he stayed healthy, I think Fu could have been that as well. I wasn't using the Fu camparison as an insult...I was just saying that Bettis was a once in a generation guy (like Earl Campbell the generation before him). Basically, Summers will be a situational guy like Fu was (hopefully better if he can stay healthy) instead of the second coming of the Bus.

LasVegasGuy
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM

If he stayed healthy, I think Fu could have been that as well. I wasn't using the Fu camparison as an insult...I was just saying that Bettis was a once in a generation guy (like Earl Campbell the generation before him). Basically, Summers will be a situational guy like Fu was (hopefully better if he can stay healthy) instead of the second coming of the Bus.

Right on. Hardly the BUS but a very good pick in my opinion. Hopefully, his weight doesn't become a problem like Len-Whale White.

papillon
04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

If he turns into the second coming of the Bus that's okay too! :tt2 If his hands are everything that we've heard about him; he may be Willie Parker's replacement before long. Geesh, the Steelers with two guys in the backfield that can catch, blasphemy and unheard of, but, would be cool.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Right on. Hardly the BUS but a very good pick in my opinion. Hopefully, his weight doesn't become a problem like Len-Whale White.

This guy? :lol:

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/LenWhaleTraining.jpg

LasVegasGuy
04-29-2009, 01:13 PM

This guy? :lol:

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/LenWhaleTraining.jpg

I can't wait for the season opener against this turd and the rest of the Titans. Payback coming for the towel disrespect.

stlrz d
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
One play that I would like to see them put back in the playbook for occassional use on short yardage plays against overly-aggressive defenses would be to line up Summers at FB in an off-set I-formation in front of Mendenhall. Ben fakes the hand-off to Summers, which looks like a classic short yardage dive play up the middle, but then does the quick pitch to Rocket Rashard, with plenty of open real estate in front of him.

Hey, I've been asking for that play to be put back in the playbook for 2 years now.

It's my job to bring that one up...and don't you forget it! :evil:

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2009, 10:41 PM

Hey, I've been asking for that play to be put back in the playbook for 2 years now.

It wouldn't have worked as well with Carey Davis in the offset I-formation in front of Mewelde Moore. But with the Tank in front of the Rocket, the personnel just seems to fit that play to a T.

stlrz d
04-30-2009, 01:27 AM

It wouldn't have worked as well with Carey Davis in the offset I-formation in front of Mewelde Moore. But with the Tank in front of the Rocket, the personnel just seems to fit that play to a T.

Agreed...but know your role. :P

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 01:41 AM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher]One play that I would like to see them put back in the playbook for occassional use on short yardage plays against overly-aggressive defenses would be to line up Summers at FB in an off-set I-formation in front of Mendenhall. Ben fakes the hand-off to Summers, which looks like a classic short yardage dive play up the middle, but then does the quick pitch to Rocket Rashard, with plenty of open real estate in front of him.

Agreed...but know your role. :P[/quote:1ua006i1]

That is an excellent mock draft. :P

stlrz d
04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher]One play that I would like to see them put back in the playbook for occassional use on short yardage plays against overly-aggressive defenses would be to line up Summers at FB in an off-set I-formation in front of Mendenhall. Ben fakes the hand-off to Summers, which looks like a classic short yardage dive play up the middle, but then does the quick pitch to Rocket Rashard, with plenty of open real estate in front of him.

Agreed...but know your role. :P

That is an excellent mock draft. :P[/quote:9ylee52a]

That's MJG's role!

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2009, 11:45 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3119hycp]Agreed...but know your role. :P

That is an excellent mock draft. :P

That's MJG's role![/quote:3119hycp]

That post is as ordinary as a bowl of grits. :wink:

stlrz d
04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
[quote="stlrz d":27m8083q]Agreed...but know your role. :P