PDA

View Full Version : Joe Burnett & Frank Summers

steelerkeylargo
04-26-2009, 03:41 PM
2 excellent pickups. I like the way our secondary is shaping up! :tt1

SteelTorch
04-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I would have liked more big uglies out of this draft...

Big Ben better get used to running around. :?

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 03:42 PM
very good draft so far, cant complain at all. preaseason will be very entertaining

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
We are really attacking our needs. I would like to see the rest of the picks be OL and DL....maybe an ILB thrown in there.......or FS.......although I think Tomlin is high on Roy Lewis from Washington who was on the PS as a possible FS.

Oviedo
04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
YES!!!!!!!

Two great picks. Add a OL and DL in Round 6 and we have a great draft shaping up.

Either Burnett or Lewis will likely move to Safety or at least get tried there

Burnett solves the return game problem and questions.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 03:45 PM

Still got 3 picks, plus our OL was very, very young last year. You were looking at an OL that was thrown together and consisted of two first time starters in Kemoeatu & Stapleton, one second year OT, and a center who we picked up in FA before the season. Give them some time to gel together and learn their craft before we cast them off as losers. I mean they did win the Superbowl with that horrible line so they can't be all that horrible.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Big Ben will get sacked a ton regardless of who we have on the line. If he wants to get sacked less, he can but until he decides to take what is given and mentally master the game, expect him to continue to hesitate, run around and yes, get sacked.

Excellent draft so far.

Get Shipley in the 6th and I am thrilled.

SteelTorch
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM

Still got 3 picks, plus our OL was very, very young last year. You were looking at an OL that was thrown together and consisted of two first time starters in Kemoeatu & Stapleton, one second year OT, and a center who we picked up in FA before the season. Give them some time to gel together and learn their craft before we cast them off as losers. I mean they did win the Superbowl with that horrible line so they can't be all that horrible.
I would say we won in spite of them, not because of them. :P

But I see where you're going.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
why wasnt burnett drafted higher? everything i have read about him is amazing. he sounds like an excellent return man, playmaker, excellent speed and a good tackler

Flasteel
04-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Nice! The punt return problem is definitely addressed with Burnett and "The Tank" is a load who could be the guy in short-yardage situations...fantastic!

Burnett was named as an All-American by ESPN.com, Sports Illustrated and the Walter Camp Football Foundation after a record-setting senior year for the Knights. In 2008, Burnett was the only player in the nation to rank in the top 20 of both kickoff and punt returns, ranking seventh in kickoff returns and 10th in punt returns. He led C-USA in both disciplines. With 102.17 yards per game to place 88th, Burnett became just the third player since 2000 to finish the season ranked in the top 100 nationally in all-purpose yardage despite not gaining any of those yards either rushing or receiving. This past fall, Burnett, in his first season as a kickoff returner, ran two back for touchdowns, coming against in-state foes USF and Miami, both of which were ranked at various points in 2008. Burnett completed his extraordinary UCF career as the school's record holder in numerous major categories including career interceptions (16) and punt return yards (1,304). Burnett is the Conference USA career record holder for most punt return yards and ranks 19th in NCAA history in that category. He stands second in C-USA annals with his 16 career interceptions. He scored a total of five career special teams touchdowns including a UCF-record three on punt returns.

Following the season, Burnett was named the Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Year and was also named first-team All-C-USA as a defensive back, punt returner and kick returner, marking the first time that a player has been named to the first team at three different positions. In addition to his stellar performances on the field as a Knight, Burnett received his bachelor's degree in criminal justice in December.

jrobitaille23
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
wow, very sad. There is way too much talent left at need positions to be taking guys that won't make the team. Could have had Murtha for OT depth and if you are going to take a safety why not Underwood. I was happy till now. This draft just became a B- from an A. I am thinking we know we won't find a starter or eventual starter so we are just picking to pick. Not to maybe find a diamond in the rough. Oh well. We should still be in good position to compete for next few years. Just a wasted opportunity IMHO. Especially when you see how much stronger our division got with this draft and the Patriots loading up again and setting themselves up for next year by getting two 2nd rounders in trades.

Oviedo
04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
why wasnt burnett drafted higher? everything i have read about him is amazing. he sounds like an excellent return man, playmaker, excellent speed and a good tackler

He measured an inch and a half smaller than listed. I have watched him for 4 years and I'll tell you he breaks on the ball better than most CB I saw at Florida or Florida State. He is really quick a strong gainst the run.

Excellent returner who is more quick than fast which is what you need for punt returns.

He will be a solid player for us.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
wow, very sad. There is way too much talent left at need positions to be taking guys that won't make the team. Could have had Murtha for OT depth and if you are going to take a safety why not Underwood. I was happy till now. This draft just became a B- from an A. I am thinking we know we won't find a starter or eventual starter so we are just picking to pick. Not to maybe find a diamond in the rough. Oh well. We should still be in good position to compete for next few years. Just a wasted opportunity IMHO. Especially when you see how much stronger our division got with this draft and the Patriots loading up again and setting themselves up for next year by getting two 2nd rounders in trades.

Won't make the team? I think everyone of our picks so far has a nice chance to make the team.

SOme of you want to draft 10 OL but realistically one, maybe two can even make the roster.

Some of you make no sense and I wonder if you even follow the team sometimes.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Still got 3 picks, plus our OL was very, very young in starter years go last year. You were looking at an OL that was thrown together due to injury and consisted of two first time starters in Kemoeatu & Stapleton, one second year OT, and a center who we picked up in FA before the season. Give them some time to gel together and learn their craft before we cast them off as losers. I mean they did win the Superbowl with that horrible line so they can't be all that horrible.
I would say we won in spite of them, not because of them. :P

But I see where you're going.

I am not trying to blow smoke but Kemoeatu is very young and Stapleton was thrown into action as an UDFA. I think a lot of being a good offensive line is not about being one or two good individuals but working as a unit. If you look at games like the Philly game where we gave up the most sacks we did all season.....it had nothing to do with us being physically dominated and everything to do with the overall blocking schemes. How many times did you see sacks given up due to a guy being completely untouched. That is about system blocking and communication and less to do with any physical aspect of line play. I think we will be better this season.

Flasteel
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Good question. It also looks like you now have a namesake on the team as well Tank!

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I think with Frank the Tank landed you can kiss Carey Davis goodbye. I am happy about that! Summers takes Davis role as well as Gary Russels. Clears one roster spot.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Good question. It also looks like you now have a namesake on the team as well Tank!

i know im very happy i think i have to get a frankthetank jersey, that would be sweet. looks like we have a goal line back now. 5-10 230 i like it a lot!!

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 04:05 PM

i know im very happy i think i have to get a frankthetank jersey, that would be sweet. looks like we have a goal line back now. 5-10 230 i like it a lot!!

This has him listed as 5'9" 243lbs....

http://www.truveo.com/Frank-Summers-Dra ... 2083750764 (http://www.truveo.com/Frank-Summers-Draft-Video-Profile/id/2083750764)

jrobitaille23
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM

Won't make the team? I think everyone of our picks so far has a nice chance to make the team.

SOme of you want to draft 10 OL but realistically one, maybe two can even make the roster.

Oh I follow all right. So much so that I know we already addressed CB depth in this draft and with Ratliff. We could have gotten pretty much anyone as a FA big short yardage back. So these seem to me wasted. There is a reason why our line is the laughing stock of the league. They are bad. We may lose Starks and even if we don't we need depth more there than at CB. Heck we need depth at safety with Clark aging. Who knows, maybe we still land Murtha. I'd be happy.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Who in the league is laughing?

You're crazy!

Our line is stocked with youth. Let them develop. We have room for maybe 2 rookie OL. No point in drafting more.

Both corners can make the roster.

Nothing says Ratliff even makes the team.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Oh I follow all right. So much so that I know we already addressed CB depth in this draft and with Ratliff. We could have gotten pretty much anyone as a FA big short yardage back. So these seem to me wasted. There is a reason why our line is the laughing stock of the league. They are bad. We may lose Starks and even if we don't we need depth more there than at CB. Heck we need depth at safety with Clark aging. Who knows, maybe we still land Murtha. I'd be happy.

who could we have gotten in free agency for a big rb? the steelers were awful in short yardage situations. i agree we need more depth on the oline but you have to pick the best player available. this will be deshea's last season and we lost bmac so it wasnt bad getting a couple corners. burnett sounds like a great return man too so those are two needs addressed in one pick

MaxAMillion
04-26-2009, 04:24 PM

I bet anything that both guys make the team (Especially Tank)

steelernation77
04-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Murtha is just a workout warrior who was crappy at Nebraska. No thanks.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Murtha is just a workout warrior who was crappy at Nebraska. No thanks.

Last time I checked, the NFL still had a practice squad for players just like him. We don't have much room on the roster so these picks are likely practice squad bound anyway.

jrobitaille23
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
pretty much everyone knows how sad our line is. They say it's the worst line to win a SB. Now I understand that we did in fact win a SB with it. Doesn't mean you don't try to gget better. I think Lezursky can be C of future and that is good. Maybe Hill takes over for Starks. Good. But our backups are Essex, Stapelton (the worst or close to the worst G in the league) and...that's right...nobody. Besides our rookie G we just drafted there isn't a guy on our line that would start on anybody else's. It is imperative that we protect Ben better. I love that we have depth at other positions. I just think you can find RB on the waiver wire. I would rather take a chance on a project OL than a back. Call me crazy. The whole league was expecting us to address our line last year. We didn't. Again, the consensus was that we should address it this year. We took one guy. Our division got better this weekend defensively. We didn't necessarily match that.

pfelix73
04-26-2009, 04:48 PM
"Still got 3 picks, plus our OL was very, very young last year. You were looking at an OL that was thrown together and consisted of two first time starters in Kemoeatu & Stapleton, one second year OT, and a center who we picked up in FA before the season. Give them some time to gel together and learn their craft before we cast them off as losers. I mean they did win the Superbowl with that horrible line so they can't be all that horrible."

Right On!!

jrobitaille23
04-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Very happy with Harris. Good depth for our aging D line. Stash him, coach him, get him in the gym and unveil him when ready. Love it.

DHSF
04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Once again there was a run on OL in the first round. A lot of teams reached in my opinion. We got solid value with Hood. We got a Guard in the 3rd round as well as a WR and CB. All were clear areas of need and decent value. It is tough to get starters in the 5th round on. Can't complain about the 5th round picks. Both are situational/SP players that could very well make the team. I doubt there is an OL that would be any more that practice squad fodder at this point. DT in the 6th round was another need. 7th round is all that is left. Maybe they pick up a project player then or from UDFA.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Now that it looks like we have KR/PR covered...Let's close out this draft with some big uglies with PSU ties. I think these are all available.

Cadogan OT PSU
Shipley C PSU
Baker DT Hampton / PSU transfer

I wouldn't mind seeing a Joel Bell or Alex Boone. We could get lucky!

Also, bring in Travis Shelton. Could be too good at KR/PR to pass up. Again...Could get lucky!

Sugar
04-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Now that it looks like we have KR/PR covered...Let's close out this draft with some big uglies with PSU ties. I think these are all available.

Cadogan OT PSU
Shipley C PSU

Also, bring in Travis Shelton. Could be too good at KR/PR to pass up. Again...Could get lucky!

Why would the Steelers want PSU ties??

Snatch98
04-26-2009, 06:16 PM

You're a jacka$$. Both players should make the team and they both fill immediate needs. We still have two 7th round picks to load up on the big ugly guys you so obviously desire. Summers is the immediate answer at the goal line and we needed a physical cover 2 corner.

EDIT: And they just drafted Shipley. People have little faith in the way this team drafts when year after year the front office gets it done. When are people gonna stop the moan and groan and trust the organization knows what it's going on...

jrobitaille23
04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
well that is sweet. I was worried but glad to see them luck out. As far a me being a jack*%&...go f*&k yourself you piece of s*^t. Tough guy on the computer doesn't like it when people speculate about picks. God I hate di&*s like you.

costanza2k1
04-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Easy fellas. Debate all you want, no need to attack each other.

feelthesteel
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I think we did pretty good.
i like Frank the Tank myself goal line.
consider were we picked too.

Snatch98
04-26-2009, 06:36 PM
well that is sweet. I was worried but glad to see them luck out. As far a me being a jack*%&...go f*&k yourself you piece of s*^t. Tough guy on the computer doesn't like it when people speculate about picks. God I hate di&*s like you.

If you're going to "speculate" at least be correct in your "speculations". The talent we drafted was the talent we needed and it seems your in the minority on this message board as far as the quality of the picks are concerned.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Cadogan OT PSU
Shipley C PSU

At the time I posted this and need vs who was available...I had some PSU players & a former PSU player rated highest. I'm a PSU fan...Maybe a homer when I looked at it...But from seeing them play...7th round for any of them looked like value.

Sugar
04-27-2009, 12:23 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3pkq8yny]Now that it looks like we have KR/PR covered...Let's close out this draft with some big uglies with PSU ties. I think these are all available.

Cadogan OT PSU
Shipley C PSU

At the time I posted this and need vs who was available...I had some PSU players & a former PSU player rated highest. I'm a PSU fan...Maybe a homer when I looked at it...But from seeing them play...7th round for any of them looked like value.[/quote:3pkq8yny]

Gotcha- Shipley seems to be a great pickup for where we got him. I wasn't sure why a PSU player as opposed to a Pitt player or a Michigan player, etc... Now that I know it's just homerism it all makes sense.

frankthetank1
04-28-2009, 06:16 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":qqh0rgi1]Now that it looks like we have KR/PR covered...Let's close out this draft with some big uglies with PSU ties. I think these are all available.

Cadogan OT PSU
Shipley C PSU

At the time I posted this and need vs who was available...I had some PSU players & a former PSU player rated highest. I'm a PSU fan...Maybe a homer when I looked at it...But from seeing them play...7th round for any of them looked like value.

Gotcha- Shipley seems to be a great pickup for where we got him. I wasn't sure why a PSU player as opposed to a Pitt player or a Michigan player, etc... Now that I know it's just homerism it all makes sense.[/quote:qqh0rgi1]

also the every super bowl the steelers have won they have had at least one psu player on the team. of course mchugh is already on the team