PDA

View Full Version : 96 - Keenan Lewis, CB

phillyesq
04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
From ESPN:

Overall Football Traits
Production 2 2004: Oregon State red shirts Lewis. 2005-'07: Lewis starts 34 of the 37 games he appears in accumulating 82 tackles, four tackles-for-loss, three interceptions, 21 passes broken up and one forced fumble. 2008: Lewis starts 13 games accumulating 35 tackles, one tackle-for-loss, four interceptions including one he returns for a touchdown and nine passes broken up.
Height-Weight-Speed 2 Above-average height, good bulk and good top-end speed. Note: Lewis lost 17 pounds between the Combine and Oregon State Pro Day in the middle of March. The drastic drop in weight is worth investigating further and now bulk is just adequate.
Durability 2 2007: Misses one game with a knee injury.
Character 2 Co-defensive scout team MVP. Family evacuated from New Orleans to relatives in Houston during Hurricane Katrina. Three-year member of the PAC-10 All Academic team.
Defensive Corner specific Traits
Recognition Skills/Toughness 3 Overaggressive at times and can bite on play action but shows good awareness in zone coverage. Has experience at corner and safety. (See 2008 Washington State game) Plays with an edge and can deliver a violent punch when trying to reroute receivers (see first play of 2007 UCLA game) but isn't to get away with as much contact in the NFL.
Closing Burst 2 Good closing burst and flashes the ability to get to the quarterback when asked to blitz. (See first quarter of 2008 Washington State game). Adequate recovery speed and flashes a second gear when tracking the ball downfield. Can cover a deep half of the field and may be able to play a centerfielder type role.
Fluidity 3 Appears comfortable playing close to the line of scrimmage and can turn and run with receivers as long as he slows them down the line but struggles to recover when doesn't get hands on the receiver. Adequate fluidity but more effective dropping into zone coverage than is matching up in man coverage.
Ball Skills 2 Big hands and long arms. Does a nice job of reading quarterback's eyes and can jump routes. Adequate leaping ability and flashes the ability to highpoint the ball. Lets the ball get into pads and can drop some passes should catch.
Run Support 2 Good upper body strength and flashes the ability to get off blocks. Takes sound angles to the ball and relentless in pursuit. Shows adequate body control space and fairly reliable open field tackler.
Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Flasteel
04-26-2009, 12:08 PM
No punt return skills or experience. Geesh, you'd hope that either the WR or CB we pick up might have that skill set as well. Is our coaching staff happy with keeping Holmes back there on returns? Why haven't we even tied to address this...yet? Not complaining too hard because I like the areas we have addressed. PR is a big concern for me and I would have like to see something in the first three rounds.

I guess it's time to do some work around the house and see what we pull in for our 5th pick.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
No punt return skills or experience. Geesh, you'd hope that either the WR or CB we pick up might have that skill set as well. Is our coaching staff happy with keeping Holmes back there on returns? Why haven't we even tied to address this...yet? Not complaining too hard because I like the areas we have addressed. PR is a big concern for me and I would have like to see something in the first three rounds.

I guess it's time to do some work around the house and see what we pull in for our 5th pick.

The WR we took from Mississippi is a return guy. The CB sounds like a solid pickup if you ask me...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/ ... s?id=80658 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/keenan-lewis?id=80658)

feelthesteel
04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
i likey this kids good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXgQMiIBYBM

steelerkeylargo
04-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I like Lewis alot..had him at that pick in my early mocks! Would have liked DJ Moore a little better there though. Lewis is a 3 time academic all american with good size speed skills! :Beer

Flasteel
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM

The WR we took from Mississippi is a return guy. The CB sounds like a solid pickup if you ask me...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/ ... s?id=80658 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/keenan-lewis?id=80658)

He's a kick returner not a punt return guy.

flippy
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Love this pick!!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Like this quote:

"Keenan is one of those Cinderellas," said Terry Wilson, Lewis' former head coach at Walker High. "I always knew Keenan was going to be good at whatever he chose to do because he always worked hard. He's always had a strong work ethic. He was just a pleasure to coach."

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Like this quote:

"Keenan is one of those Cinderellas," said Terry Wilson, Lewis' former head coach at Walker High. "I always knew Keenan was going to be good at whatever he chose to do because he always worked hard. He's always had a strong work ethic. He was just a pleasure to coach."

Sounds like pretty much the theme of guys we pick under Tomlin, and overall through the years.

MaxAMillion
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
This was the corner I had pegged all along. I liked him during the senior bowl. He has long arms and good overall size.

I think each of the first four picks will make the team and contribute.