PDA

View Full Version : Urbik at 79

D Rock
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll take it. Keep the big guys coming.

Steel Life
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't know...another big guy with what seems like bad feet - keep running Ben, keep running.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
i have no knowledge on the guy but at least its a guard. nt and guard so far. very smart, i like it a lot

phillyesq
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
He'll probably have a chance to start at RG by midseason. Solid pick. Not a perfect player, but it is the third round.

I would think that one of the next picks will be a cb or wr with return ability, and perhaps another lineman on either side.

Snatch98
04-26-2009, 11:14 AM
i have no knowledge on the guy but at least its a guard. nt and guard so far. very smart, i like it a lot

NFL.com has him listed as a tackle. Everything I've read in the last 15 mintues or so says he's a mauler and has position flexibility. I like the pick.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 11:15 AM

Yep, develop the fatties. NO need to burn a first on them.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 11:17 AM

haha develop the fatties, thats funny. i was so happy they didnt pick unger at #32. that would have been a reach even though its a need

steelers43
04-26-2009, 11:19 AM

haha develop the fatties, thats funny. i was so happy they didnt pick unger at #32. that would have been a reach even though its a need

Save the top picks for defensive lineman. Fatties for the OL can be developed. Ben's going to run around and take sacks no matter who we have on the OL.

Flasteel
04-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Continuing to go in the trenches is making most of us happy, but I don't know a lot about the guy. I've heard slow feet, both here and from the talking heads on NFLN. However, I did just find this comment on cbssportsline:

01/20/2009 - 2009 Senior Bowl Monday Practice: Guard Kraig Urbik (Wisconsin) was strong and has more nimble feet than he's given credit for. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

No doubt he's a big, big guard. I think this goes a long way in helping our short-yardage game more than anything else right now.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Save the top picks for defensive lineman. Fatties for the OL can be developed. Ben's going to run around and take sacks no matter who we have on the OL.

i think your right. im pretty convinced even if we had the best ol in the nfl ben would still be taking sacks, but thats ben. just doesnt let plays die which is also a good thing at times.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Continuing to go in the trenches is making most of us happy, but I don't know a lot about the guy. I've heard slow feet, both here and from the talking heads on NFLN. However, I did just find this comment on cbssportsline:

01/20/2009 - 2009 Senior Bowl Monday Practice: Guard Kraig Urbik (Wisconsin) was strong and has more nimble feet than he's given credit for. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

No doubt he's a big, big guard. I think this goes a long way in helping our short-yardage game more than anything else right now.

4 year starter and Wisconsin is noted for OL coaching.

pfelix73
04-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Good pick as a G. I can live with it. Pretty much puts a stop on Shipley now unless he would be there in the 5th round....

feltdizz
04-26-2009, 12:11 PM

i think your right. im pretty convinced even if we had the best ol in the nfl ben would still be taking sacks, but thats ben. just doesnt let plays die which is also a good thing at times.

:Agree

Mel Blount's G
04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
I'll take it. Need addressed. And agree w/ the guy that mentioned Wisconsin being noted for OL coaching

birtikidis
04-26-2009, 01:04 PM
maybe the long term plan is to move stapleton back to center plug in Urbik and go from there.
let stapleton and urbik fight it out this year then use stapletons flexibility as a C/G when the need arises.

flippy
04-26-2009, 01:05 PM
i like the sound of max, kemo, ????, urbik, colon....

those are some big boys to run behind.....

Lebsteel
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
maybe the long term plan is to move stapleton back to center plug in Urbik and go from there.
let stapleton and urbik fight it out this year then use stapletons flexibility as a C/G when the need arises.

I am beginning to think that is the case. Many of us wanted a Center, but I think the Steelers believe either Stapleton or Legursky is their man. I am still confused about our future tackles. Do they think they can sign Starks and then have Hills at RT? So our 2010 line could be Starks, Kemoeatu, Stapleton, Urbik, Hills?

WoodleyofTroy
04-26-2009, 02:12 PM

I am beginning to think that is the case. Many of us wanted a Center, but I think the Steelers believe either Stapleton or Legursky is their man. I am still confused about our future tackles. Do they think they can sign Starks and then have Hills at RT? So our 2010 line could be Starks, Kemoeatu, Stapleton, Urbik, Hills?

Mack and Wood were off the board before #32...and they were trying to trade up in the 2nd for Max Unger...

Flasteel
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Body Structure: Urbik is a big body type with good arm length, and large and strong hands. He has a bit too much girth, but has the big hips, thighs and calves to anchor strongly when he stays down in his pads. Outside of his girth, he has an overall firm frame and while he is not explosive out of his stance, he has a very strong lower body.

Athletic Ability: Urbik lacks ideal stamina, as he is more apt to lean into his man and use his body as a crutch as the game wears on, but he has enough quickness and movement to get the job done coming off the snap. He lacks great muscle definition, but is a naturally strong athlete, doing an excellent job of anchoring firmly vs. the bull rush. You will not see him show suddenness taking on double moves, but he has enough lateral skills to execute the short pulls to the outside (just not as fluid getting into the second level). GRADE: 6.2

Football Sense: Urbik is very effective adjusting to line stunts and shows very good vision to pick up the twists. He works well with others on double teams and keeps his head on a swivel moving into the second level. He easily takes plays from the chalkboard to the playing field. He plays with good concentration (just three penalties during his career) and is very alert to the defender's movements. GRADE: 7.4

Character: Urbik is a blue-collar type who has no problems off the field. He gets good family support and has been a good program player who is compliant. He does not need any prodding in the training room and is a good self-starter and role model for the younger players. GRADE: 7.2

Competitiveness: Urbik plays with a nasty temperament and his aggression rubs off on players lining up around him. He works to finish and while he sometimes gets too anxious, he will not play outside himself and lose balance when anchored at the point of attack. He is just a tough, gritty athlete who has a few tricks in his bag that he uses to combat the more physical opponent, as he loves the confrontations in the trenches. GRADE: 7.0

Work Habits: Urbik is a hard worker in the weight room, called by the staff the toughest player on the team. He was the unquestioned leader of the offensive line and will not hesitate to get physical with his opponent. He takes well to hard coaching and his mean streak on the field -- while not in the Conrad Dobler category -- is one that makes a defender take pause before deciding whether to challenge him. GRADE: 6.8

The toughest player on the team and only 3 penalties his entire career...I like that!

NorthCoast
04-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Body Structure: Urbik is a big body type with good arm length, and large and strong hands. He has a bit too much girth, but has the big hips, thighs and calves to anchor strongly when he stays down in his pads. Outside of his girth, he has an overall firm frame and while he is not explosive out of his stance, he has a very strong lower body.

Athletic Ability: Urbik lacks ideal stamina, as he is more apt to lean into his man and use his body as a crutch as the game wears on, but he has enough quickness and movement to get the job done coming off the snap. He lacks great muscle definition, but is a naturally strong athlete, doing an excellent job of anchoring firmly vs. the bull rush. You will not see him show suddenness taking on double moves, but he has enough lateral skills to execute the short pulls to the outside (just not as fluid getting into the second level). GRADE: 6.2

Football Sense: Urbik is very effective adjusting to line stunts and shows very good vision to pick up the twists. He works well with others on double teams and keeps his head on a swivel moving into the second level. He easily takes plays from the chalkboard to the playing field. He plays with good concentration (just three penalties during his career) and is very alert to the defender's movements. GRADE: 7.4

Character: Urbik is a blue-collar type who has no problems off the field. He gets good family support and has been a good program player who is compliant. He does not need any prodding in the training room and is a good self-starter and role model for the younger players. GRADE: 7.2

Competitiveness: Urbik plays with a nasty temperament and his aggression rubs off on players lining up around him. He works to finish and while he sometimes gets too anxious, he will not play outside himself and lose balance when anchored at the point of attack. He is just a tough, gritty athlete who has a few tricks in his bag that he uses to combat the more physical opponent, as he loves the confrontations in the trenches. GRADE: 7.0

Work Habits: Urbik is a hard worker in the weight room, called by the staff the toughest player on the team. He was the unquestioned leader of the offensive line and will not hesitate to get physical with his opponent. He takes well to hard coaching and his mean streak on the field -- while not in the Conrad Dobler category -- is one that makes a defender take pause before deciding whether to challenge him. GRADE: 6.8

The toughest player on the team and only 3 penalties his entire career...I like that!

I really like the sound of that. The pre-snap penalties from our OL last yr were very disturbing. We need guys that can focus and play with smarts. Remember all the stunting we faced last season? We need guys that can see and react quickly to these schemes. Like this pick alot.

birtikidis
04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
FLA when i read that i got goose bumps.
he sounds like a stud.
so do we have the meanest offensive line in the NFL now with Kemo, Colon and Urbik? they all sound like guys you wanted want to meet in a dark alley...

stlrz d
04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
One thing I know about WI is that their O linemen are usually the definition of big, mean and ugly.

papillon
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
From what I heard on NFLN, ESPN and some other media outlet (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d26-Pittsburgh-Steeler-report-Bruce-Arians-take-on-Kraig-Urbik-and-Mike-Wallace) about Urbik was that he struggled one-on-one and in space, but, once he was part a unit he stood out and was a mauler. It appears that he'll do just fine as part of a unit, which is all the Steelers need him to do. Who cares if you put him and one other guy on field by themselves he loses; football is played as a team.

Pappy